Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To what extent does Jedi: Fallen Order feel like Chris worked on it? Is it relatively free of the Sonic fan-fiction levels of writing that big budget American productions are flooded with at the moment?

I suspect he mostly just helped out with the structure of the narrative and some plot points. For example, some things from KotOR 2 are reused, such as a character cutting herself of from the force willingly (which was supposed to be a huge deal in K2) and backstory being told through a droids holomessages conveniently locked behind certain triggers (T3). There were more things but I can't be bothered to remember them. All in all the story is kind of bad though.

Beastro

Arcane
The retcon didn't make narrative sense? Otherwise what does it matter something got retconed back in 83 :P

Lucas originally wanted to do 3 trilogies: one for Luke, one for his sister, one for when they meet up with their father and take the fight to the Empire.

Early in Empire Strikes Back production he realized that wasn't going to happen and also to cut down on character bloat he feared was happening to Star Wars, so he combined Anakin and Vader resulting in the famous twist as well as later shoehorning Leia in as Luke's sister as she was the only person in the series that could fit the bill.

Cross

Arcane
The retcon didn't make narrative sense? Otherwise what does it matter something got retconed back in 83 :P

Lucas originally wanted to do 3 trilogies: one for Luke, one for his sister, one for when they meet up with their father and take the fight to the Empire.

Early in Empire Strikes Back production he realized that wasn't going to happen and also to cut down on character bloat he feared was happening to Star Wars, so he combined Anakin and Vader resulting in the famous twist as well as later shoehorning Leia in as Luke's sister as she was the only person in the series that could fit the bill.
Leia being retconned as Luke's sister was done solely to resolve the Han-Leia-Luke love triangle. I doubt Lucas had any serious plans for a Leia trilogy (or any long-term plan for Star Wars), considering the possible implications of her Force sensitiveness are treated as a complete afterthought in Return of the Jedi. She doesn't even react to the fact that her father died.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane

Leia being retconned as Luke's sister was done solely to resolve the Han-Leia-Luke love triangle. I doubt Lucas had any serious plans for a Leia trilogy (or any long-term plan for Star Wars), considering the possible implications of her Force sensitiveness are treated as a complete afterthought in Return of the Jedi. She doesn't even react to the fact that her father died.

He did, at least before Empire. The final compromises he had to make came with Jedi and scrapping the battle over/on Coruscant where a fleet would fight several Death Stars while Luke fought the Emperor in his subterranean, lava filled throne room, kill him and take over as Emperor leading to a gradual change in government. That didn't simply get scrapped for being too over ambitious.... but because that wouldn't leave room for Lucas's fun on a forest world with primitives defeating Imperial forces. That got pushed together with final battle over a world involving that. So yeah, you can thank the Ewoks for more than just existing though the Death Star's spam sounds retarded.

SF Debris did a 3 part series about it in his miniseries category Heroes Journey, Shadow's and Hermit's: https://sfdebris.com/videos/special/herosjourney.php

IIRC Shadow's Journey, the second part, deals with most of Anakin and Vader being rolled together.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

:negative:

Well if it makes him happy working on a million games.....
I just hope he doesn't end up at a point where he looks back at this time and realizes that by doing so he left nothing worthwhile or even indentifiable behind.

(Except for a rage thread on an internet forum of course)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wunderbar conan_edw Ninjerk https://drewkarpyshyn.com/c/?p=302

I’ll admit, I didn’t consult with the Obsidian writers before including the Exile in the novel. They didn’t consult with me before including Canderous and HK-47 in KOTOR 2. And I didn’t expect them to – that’s not how it works, and it would be virtually impossible to get anything done in the Star Wars universe if it did. Too many projects, too many contributors.

Here’s how it does work: Obsidian doesn’t own the Exile. Neither do I. Lucas (the corporation) does – she’s a part of Star Wars. My only options were to bring her into the fold by doing as much research as possible and doing my best to give a fair and accurate representation of her in the novel, or to ignore her completely and pretend she never existed. I think option A is far more preferable (and more respectful) than option B.

In a shared fiction world it’s inevitable that some characters are going to get multiple treatments from various authors. Earlier events are going to be referenced, and sometimes the small details aren’t going to match up exactly as fans want or expect. Like it or not, that’s a fact. If you don’t like it, there’s not much I can do to change your mind. But I hope you’ll keep this in perspective and understand that most authors (including me) do their damnedest NOT to mess up other people’s stuff… and the e-mails I get accusing me of willfully changing things for no reason are ridiculous and offensive.

They’re also filled with f-bombs and profane descriptions of what I should do with my sexual organs, but unfortunately that’s just the norm for the internet. Remember the “Triple A” formula: Anonymity + Audience = Asshole. Still, it strikes me as odd that they would even bother to send me these e-mails. Do they expect me to read their profanity-laced venom and go, “Hey, they’re totally right – stop the printing and let’s redo the book that’s already in production because a handful of foul-mouthed jerks are spamming me!” Probably not. The only explanation I can figure is that they feel angry, and venting on a forum isn’t enough. They have to personally attack someone, because the only way they can feel better is by trying to make someone else feel worse. Sadly, that’s all too common in our society today.

I could respond with swears, curses and angry rebuttals, but I’ll take the high road. Actually, the high road would be not mentioning it at all, so I guess I’m taking the middle road by ranting on my personal website. But in the end it’s a small price to pay for the privilege of being able to write novels set in the Star Wars universe, and I know for every jerk who fires off an angry e-mail, there are a hundred (or a thousand, or hopefully even ten thousand) folks who appreciate what I do.

So, to the Star Wars, Mass Effect and Drew Karpyshyn fans out there who aren’t haters, thanks for listening. And to the haters: you know that thing you told me to do to myself in that nasty e-mail? Right back at you. Twice.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They didn’t consult with me before including Canderous and HK-47 in KOTOR 2.
Dunno about Canderous, but HK-47 wasn't Drew's character. He was written by David Gaider.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They didn’t consult with me before including Canderous and HK-47 in KOTOR 2.
Dunno about Canderous, but HK-47 wasn't Drew's character. He was written by David Gaider.
True, but Karpyshyn was the lead writer so he had final call over everything (well not ~final~ since he had a project director above him, but top call among writers).

That being said, the breakdown was
David Gaider said:
In fact, there were four writers who worked as the leads for various characters and planets. We overlapped some, but I'd say that these people know the most about their respective bailiwicks. My memory is not 100%, but as I recall the breakdown was something like this:

Me: Korriban as well as Carth, Bastila, HK-47 and Jolee Bindo -- I did the initial design on Tatooine, before it was handed off to Luke, so I know a fair amount of what went on there as well.

Drew Karpyshyn: Taris, Dantooine, end levels as well as Mission

Luke Kristjansson: Kashyyk and Zaalbar

Peter Thomas: Manaan, Unknown World as well as Canderous and Juhani

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom