Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Camel

Scholar
Yeah, Ol' Joe was soyfacing before it became a meme.
He was thinner back then and he’s much richer now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris continues to pad his linkedin with old things no one cares about

Narrative Designer/Writer
ArenaNet LLC

May 2016 - May 2017 1 year 1 month

Sea-Attle

- Design consultant, hired to help with pitches in preproduction (project is now canceled, I believe).

Design Consultant
Blind Squirrel Games

Jun 2015 - Nov 2016 1 year 6 months

The New Shiny Office Park

- Design consultant, hired to help with pitches in preproduction (project is now canceled, I believe).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Roguey this is far-fetched, but there may be a connection to his ongoing legal battles. establishing continued, lasting ties to developers before/after the slander hit could help him establish the basis for projections based on lost employment opportunities due to the libel.

edit: to put it another way, help establish a trend before/after the witchunt began, so he can demonstrate damages (aka $$$).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
From what I recall, someone ttried to #meetoo Angry Joe but he immediately threatened to sue and it was over within 24 hours. Perhaps there's a lesson here.

:mca:

Don Peste

Arcane
koala.png
Is this tweet New Vegas 2?
koala.png

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
PdSItX0zm0nG.png

Man.. Retired... The world missed out on Tim Cain...

Tim Cain`s story feels like if Stanley Kubrick had made a few cult films and then vanished for 14 years making some studio-appointed blockbuster film that was never finished

Only to come back and have his last movie, be a movie that he didn`t even really direct (The Outer Worlds)

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris is getting fed up with the Randian accusations.
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1500156718369566726
Predestination doesn't usually mix well with a true role-playing game.

Also, the whole Ayn Rand thing is stupid, I've never read any of her stuff (which, being an English major, is embarrassing on my part), so it's just randos trying to make a case to support their own views. It usually says more about the bleaters than the actual work.

But yeah, I just focused on the construction of the setting + make an antagonist. It's a lot simpler than whatever shallow-as-shit college wannabe reading interpretation of the game.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Additionally he's confirmed that the "side with the Think Tank" ending of Old World Blues was cut because Bethesda decided that they no longer wanted to support endings where you could side with an evil group.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1499954794340913154

Yep, it was the cut ending if the Think Tank "won" and we had ending slides and everything

Bethesda was like, "you better not do this ending shit again after Dead Money"

Bad guys don't win

Only Bethesda won

(P.S. Showing the bad guys winning is actually very true to Fallout 1)

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1500160336795619328

Avellone said:
other guy said:
Avellone said:
other guy said:
With most things with new vegas, it was likely down to time constraints.
Nope, they just didn't want it

But glad to see it was preserved, I'm sure the VO and slides exist somewhere, too.
Thanks for the clarification Chris. Having watched previous devs talk about the development of the dlc, I just assumed this was another case of time and budget constraints. Glad to know it was a creative decision.
I wouldn't call it a creative decision, more like the publisher didn't want it. :/ So "de-creative" might be a better word for it, and it was another example of de-Fallouting the original spirit of Fallout.

As much as I disagree with Bethesda kiddifying the setting (which they continued to do with Fallout 4), there is some grim amusement that the guy who once said that you never should have been able to side with the Legion because they're a bunch of sexists is also seething that Bethesda wouldn't allow you to side with a bunch of mad scientists who go on to commit weird science atrocities and murder on a mass scale if they break out of their containment. But at least they're not intolerant! :)

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Weird that Beth went on to allow you to side with a bunch of mad scientists who commit atrocities and murder in FO4...

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

FNDitEzUcAEkKFK

I can't be arsed to actually type all this out, but if any of this goes away, MCA basically confirmed that you could join the Think Tank in New Vegas, but it was cut out.

MCA has a degree in English?! Huh. Surprised to see a successful author with one. Actual successful authors who know hundreds of published authors can think of "maybe... 10" with one and know more with a background in accounting.
You have to understand, before 2000-2005, universities hadn't sunk to ideological conditioning of their students. While it wasn't as prestigious as a STEM degree, getting an English major during this period could still be considered as having a good education.

Humbaba

Arcane
I always thought Ayn Rand was well known in America in particular, despite her ideology being mostly disregarded trash.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
John Galt's speech is 60 pages (three hours to actually speak) long. She was on the spectrum. +M

dacencora

Anthem has pretty interesting prose and a fairly well-developed plot. I greatly enjoyed it when I read it. Never could get into other books by Rand.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Chris seems to be enjoying his extra free time.
Go through his twitter replies lately and he is answering almost all the autistic NV questions thrown at him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom