Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You make it sound like it's a bad thing.
What else should he work on?
The latest Triple A tranny goyslop instead?
I am merely stating the facts. Kurvitz is working on a game with Chinese investors.
And headed by a self described communist.
And Necro hates it, feels second hand guilt about it, and is lashing out about your objective report of the news.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
And headed by a self described communist.
But he's one of those r/stupidpol type old school communists who are actually based, like my card-carrying party member grandpa who gave me vodka to drink when I was 5 years old.
Don't paint everyone with the same brush.
I wouldn't care either way, and aren't painting anyone red.
However, our comrade NecroLord does care, thus him lashing out emotionally here at Roguey stating a simple basic fact.
Its Necro that I'm mocking here, not Kurvitz. I liked Disco. And I liked BG3, a game made with chinese funds.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd like to just take this time to publicly apologize to Chris Avellone. I bitched at one point about the writing in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - the Sith Lords. I was really, really wrong. After watching the horrific Star Wars shows, movies, etc for a few years, I returned to SW:KOTOR II and find the writing to be, if anything, something comforting, proficient, and approaching Star Wars. I'll encourage anyone with $3.50 American to give both the SW: KOTOR games a shot (even though CA didnt' write on the first.)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I bitched at one point about the writing in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - the Sith Lords. I was really, really wrong. After watching the horrific Star Wars shows, movies, etc for a few years, I returned to SW:KOTOR II and find the writing to be, if anything, something comforting, proficient, and approaching Star Wars.
It's funny you should mention that, because they're currently updating all the Star Wars wikis with the latest TV series' retcons which make absolutely no sense with previous movies and other established media which was canon until the new show dropped, just like they did with the Fallout TV show.

That said, I think KotOR2 is probably one of the better Star Wars stories out there, though the game has it's issues like the overly long tutorial area and the odd ending battles which seemed gimmicky for the sake of dragging them out. I still think that Kreia is one of the best antagonists in any Star Wars game. She has an agenda, but it's not something like controlling the galaxy like you've always seen in Star Wars. It was all about her own personal power and how even if you control the galaxy, you're still a slave to the power that got you there. And yet her quest for personal power would have wide sweeping consequences for the entire galaxy.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'd like to just take this time to publicly apologize to Chris Avellone. I bitched at one point about the writing in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - the Sith Lords. I was really, really wrong. After watching the horrific Star Wars shows, movies, etc for a few years, I returned to SW:KOTOR II and find the writing to be, if anything, something comforting, proficient, and approaching Star Wars. I'll encourage anyone with $3.50 American to give both the SW: KOTOR games a shot (even though CA didnt' write on the first.)
Bro, KOTOR 2 has some of the better writing in all of Star Wars.
Arguably the best story in the setting.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
KotOR 2 is WHY we're getting shit like the Acolyte. The showrunner is there trying to subvert things (while self-inserting) just like she believes Kreia and Rian Johnson did before her. (She specifically called Kreia out in an interview.)

The problem is it's a lot like the current gen of writers who try to copy Whedon's style without any actual depth... if you don't have the underlying knowledge and skill, are you're doing is imitating and we end up getting facile, surface-level crap that makes no sense.

Vatnik Wumao
KotOR 2 is WHY we're getting shit like the Acolyte. The showrunner is there trying to subvert things (while self-inserting) just like she believes Kreia and Rian Johnson did before her. (She specifically called Kreia out in an interview.)
Ultimately the main problem isn't whether you play it straight or try to give a different spin to the story, but if you're a pozzbrain or not. Subversive pozz or straight pozz, it's the same shit at the end of the day. Although I do also agree that doing a proper subversion requires talent hence playing it straight is the safer bet for a mediocre writer.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Nice try. You can't trick me into reinstalling that shit.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
KOTOR 1/2 has the best Star Wars writing, of any media in that franchise.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ultimately the main problem isn't whether you play it straight or try to give a different spin to the story, but if you're a pozzbrain or not. Subversive pozz or straight pozz, it's the same shit at the end of the day. Although I do also agree that doing a proper subversion requires talent hence playing it straight is the safer bet for a mediocre writer.
I don't think Avellone was "subversive", but he did deconstruct the Star Wars setting through his self insert character - Kreia.
Many of the questions about the Light Side, the Dark Side, the nature of The Force and the power of belief and conviction in an ideal are answered (or at least partially) in Kotor 2.
Can life exist and thrive without The Force? The Exile is proof of life existing without The Force, the Exile is a "wound in The Force", another concept introduced by Kotor 2.
A severe and cataclysmic loss of life can lead to the formation of "wounds in The Force", dark places that are dead to The Force, wounds in The Force can occur in external locations - such as Malachor V, or in individuals - The Exile, Darth Nihilus.
However, to separate oneself from The Force, truly great will and resilience are required, all living things are touched by The Force, so general common sense dictates that life cannot exist without The Force.
Was this Avellone's attempt at taking a shot at "The Will to Power" and Nietzsche?

Furthermore, a more interesting fact is that it is established that you (The Exile) reconnect with The Force due to your leeching off the Force energy of your companions and those you encounter (remember, The Exile is a wound in The Force) in a sort of subtly vampiric way. I think it is not a coincidence that the majority of your companions are Force sensitive and can even be trained by you in either the Jedi way or the Dark Side way...

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I seriously doubt the people on The Acolyte have any idea who Kreia actually is. Look at how the botched the whole thing around "The Sith have been extinct for a millenia." thing. In order to smooth out that glaring retcon, they put in the coneheaded Jedi Master that said it in the fourth episode, which is what the wikis have had to update their page on that particular character because the show takes place several decades before he was canonically born. The black actor that plays a Jedi in that show gave two interviews talking about good and evil in Star Wars and said Anakin Skywalker killed thousands of people when he blew up the Death Star. Not once, but twice he said that. They can't even get the movie stuff right, things that Disney considers canon, so I really doubt they have any idea who the antagonist in a non-canon video game is other than what her name is.

Even if they did, I seriously doubt that would have changed anything you see in that show. It's not like their agendas would have changed because Chris Avellone wrote a good antagonist in a video game. No one played KotOR2 and decided to be gay.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I seriously doubt the people on The Acolyte have any idea who Kreia actually is. Look at how the botched the whole thing around "The Sith have been extinct for a millenia." thing. In order to smooth out that glaring retcon, they put in the coneheaded Jedi Master that said it in the fourth episode, which is what the wikis have had to update their page on that particular character because the show takes place several decades before he was canonically born. The black actor that plays a Jedi in that show gave two interviews talking about good and evil in Star Wars and said Anakin Skywalker killed thousands of people when he blew up the Death Star. Not once, but twice he said that. They can't even get the movie stuff right, things that Disney considers canon, so I really doubt they have any idea who the antagonist in a non-canon video game is other than what her name is.

Even if they did, I seriously doubt that would have changed anything you see in that show. It's not like their agendas would have changed because Chris Avellone wrote a good antagonist in a video game. No one played KotOR2 and decided to be gay.
Considering ending of Ep4, my guess the "Kreia thing" in Acolyte is the bad guy was hiding amongst us all this time instead of the other themes about Kreia. Like most things, these retard Disney writers only understand surface things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom