Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who sells the amulet of the myrtanian?

Mauman

Learned
Wow....I'd forgotten how incredibly bad two handers are at early levels. Not that far in, so I think I'll just restart and go 1hander early on.

Reina

Arcane
For a first time since... since I can remember, I am not rushing through the game, I am savoring every minute of it. 25h in, only middle of second chapter, and I'm blown away by quality of this modification. I replayed both Gothic and Gothic 2 and can safely say, this is superior experience to vanilla, very much so.

One thing I didn't see talked much here is how mod team got natural progression right, something that NoTR expansion fucked up in original G2. Original Gothic 2 was quite well designed, with clear break points in character strength (i.e. - you start chapter 2 unable to fight orcs, end with being able to handle one warrior at the time, then when you return to the valley chapter later, you can finally start taking out elites and groups - while in NoTR, because of new area, you usually enter valley of the mines capable of beating orcs comfortably) and sensible character progression (you can usually wield any weapon you find, and many are upgrades, yet skills like smithing feel still worthwile - unlike NoTR, where LPs are too scarce to waste on non-combat stuff, and weapons you find early usually have extreme requirements that player who's not familiar with various secrets and exploits wouild not wield until late game. I.e. in my recent mercenary run I ended up with loads of high-str weapons I never really got a chance to use, because even weakest of them, which I got early in ch1, required 60 str, which I reached only in chapter 4.)
In Archolos, I either wield any found weapon (of my class) outright (and I'm not overeating apples like some madwoman to bump my str!) or it's within my range. Decision to not make permanent buffs count towards LP costs of stats was a genius one. Makes exploration much more rewarding when I can use my spoils right from the getgo, instead hoarding it for later chapters. Furthermore, I love how many areas on the island are designed, with each major location being essientally surrounded by rings of progressively stronger monsters.

There were some quests that blown me away. Shout out to city watch recruitment quest chain, especially night patrol around the city. I don't think a grin ever left my face when I was doing it, the dialogues are bloody masterpieces. So much creativity, so much fun. Thank you, truly, Archolos team.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Roy's weed stash, found in the ruins above Sailor's retreat. He won't discuss it if you speak with him.
It's one of the items related to the quest where you have to get Yanick to transport you to the swamp. One of the way to get rid of the guards is to find a pack of weed and hand it over to them.

Can I assume there is a combination of subquest actions that prompt the rest of the pirates to stand down after you fight Cortes in the arena in the later faction quest?
There's a way to get them to surrender, but I personally don't know the requirements.

Edit: worth joining Ring of Water?
Yes, why not take the additional xp? Make sure to finish your faction quests before you leave.

Tygrende

Arbiter
It's one of the items related to the quest where you have to get Yanick to transport you to the swamp. One of the way to get rid of the guards is to find a pack of weed and hand it over to them.
You can also give the package to pirates on your 1st visit to convince them you should be let in.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a way to get them to surrender, but I personally don't know the requirements.

I hit those requirements in my first playthrough without realising there was anything special to do. It still required picking the exact right dialogue options after the fight against the leader though.

Things I did:
- Beat Big Ben
- Gave Cortes all the missing parts of the shipment
- Lied and didn't mention the Orcs

I generally did all the quests I could find in the swamp camp and didn't "rock the boat" too much. I also killed the vineyard guy who was helping the bandits that tried to rip Cortes off.

I've no idea what the exact criteria is for making them surrender rather than fight to the death.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Re. Roy's Stash: It's too far back but I must have talked my way into the Haven in some other manner.

Re. surrender: I did everything above but lie about the orcs. The dialogue seemed to indicate that Cortes would figure it out on his own and be angry if I lied. The dialogue in the arena did not offer choices.

There's an achievement to recruit four guard characters (assuming you've a guard and have done the relevant individual NPC quests). I suppose choosing randoms like Big Ben or the Wolf Son in the brothel, etc. is 'cosmetic' and changes nothing of concern.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's an achievement to recruit four guard characters (assuming you've a guard and have done the relevant individual NPC quests). I suppose choosing randoms like Big Ben or the Wolf Son in the brothel, etc. is 'cosmetic' and changes nothing of concern.

You can use them as combat companions in the ruins, so technically characters like Big Ben and the paladin might be slightly better in combat than the guards.

That said, it doesn't seem to influence anything else.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I feel like there's too many things hidden in shallow water while not nearly enough deeper down. So far had no reason to use the water breathing potion, ever. Barely anything to be found further from the coast. Small lakes on the other hand have loot on the bottom more often than not.

agris

Arcane
Patron
bros, how do i get into this?! i can get on top of that big rock outcrop above it, but there is a stone arm going over the top that prevents you from dropping down onto the ledge. does a clime-able object fall on the ledge after chapter 3 or something??

Cvb91dY.jpg

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
bros, how do i get into this?! i can get on top of that big rock outcrop above it, but there is a stone arm going over the top that prevents you from dropping down onto the ledge. does a clime-able object fall on the ledge after chapter 3 or something??

Cvb91dY.jpg
This is quest location you will get there in chapter 4.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Cvb91dY.jpg
This is quest location you will get there in chapter 4.
I love the gothic formula. seeing something like that hidden cave entrance instills a "challenge accepted, game" mentality that makes you want to climb the most unclimbable surfaces to try to get at some secret. it's unfortunate that such a gameplay loop is occasionally incompatible with gated content / story.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished it after about 80 hours, what can I say except what a fucking masterpiece. The fact that it got made in this degenerate clown world we live in now is a miracle that we should all be thankful for.

How is difficulty for this game?

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Finished it after about 80 hours, what can I say except what a fucking masterpiece. The fact that it got made in this degenerate clown world we live in now is a miracle that we should all be thankful for.

How is difficulty for this game?

Between vanilla G2 and NotR, much closer to the first. Although there is talk of a hard mode coming in a patch sometime in the future..

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
East of the main Amber Coast beach, up a small hill is a locked door. There are hostile 'smugglers' that draw weapons behind. (you can summon creatures behind the door to engage them but they appear invulnerable). I'm in Chp5, so the beach has cleared. Is this related to a Merchant faction questline?

Last edited:

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Holy shit! Is this for real! It's actually as good as the originals (G1 and G2)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom