Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Sjukob

Arcane
Yo, you can get a "free" hunter armor if you are brave enough. Go venture into the dark forest, it's where sentry Kipper holds his guard post. Go straight and keep to the road, you will have to fight some scavengers and boars to pass further, near the large rock there will be a corpse of a hunter, you can loot hunter armor from him. Be careful as there are wargs nearaby, they don't seem to attack in packs, like the wargs from the original do, so if you want to you can pick them out one by one. Here are some screenshots to show the way, sorry I've already looted everything, so the corpses have disappeared.

Go past Kipper and walk along the road
a6QufJb.png

See that large rock in the center where the fireflies are? That's where we are heading. You will need to kill nearby animals to be able to safely loot the boody.
tFKD7vR.png

This is where the body will be lying, it's not hidden or anything, so you shouldn't miss it. There's a pack of wargs wandering around at the right side, they can attack you while you loot the body, so be careful.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-10-25-46-75.png

Here are the stats
el12UHc.png

By the way, can anyobody help me to find woodcutter's camp? I just don't understand where I am supposed to go. Do I need to go past Folkard and up the hill? The quest discription says I need to cross two wodden bridges and that there'll be a lake nearby. Am I going in the right direction? Does the description mention these two bridges?
mkIG9QW.jpeg

Last edited:

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Yes, those are the bridges in question. Go up the hill and follow the riverbed for a while (watch out for snappers), the camp will be on your left.

Sjukob

Arcane
Looks like I've found the lair of the beast that's been terrorizing the locals. Looks spooky, but there's nobody inside, you can't even get there without using marvin mode, I was really curious about the lair, so I've decided to cheat just to see what was there. I guess you will have to go there later during some quest. There's a pretty powerful two handed sword there. The lair is located on a cliff above the pack of wargs I talked about in my previous post.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-11-16-49-30.png

Gothic2-2021-12-12-11-18-02-20.png

Gothic2-2021-12-12-11-18-59-16.png

Gothic2-2021-12-12-11-39-24-26.png

Also, just a bit further into the forest on the same side there's a cave with a black bear guading a very powerful dexterity sword. The black bear's stats seems to be similar to shadowbeast.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-11-31-47-50.png

Gothic2-2021-12-12-11-36-08-19.png

Gothic2-2021-12-12-11-36-25-58.png

Sjukob

Arcane
What is that one handed weapon you use, Sjukob?
Timo's sword. You get it in the very beggining when you get to the island, you can find it on Timo's corpse. Well, I didn't interfere with the captain and allowed him to kill Timo, I don't know what happens if you stand up for him.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-12-05-12-51.png

Keep in mind that I've probably put something like 800 hours into Gothic, so I am very familiar with how combat and AI works and know quite a few tricks. Going around and chipping away high level monsters with minimal damage is not an issue for me.

Fargus

Arcane
Ah, i see. Timo is alive in my game, drinking at the tavern like a useless refugee he is. Sword like that would have been handly at the very start of the game. Though there is another 1h weapon with the same damage, but less armor piercing you can get for free early on.

Sjukob

Arcane
I recorded a video showing how I kill high level beasts without investing any points in combat skills at all.

Basically, you can cancel combo attacks (pressing attack button while not moving) with a step forward. So, you do 2 swings, make a step forward to cancel recovery animation, do another 2 swings, make a step forward again and just keep repeating these actions. This works really well for animals, because they can't parry attacks. This allows you to chain very long combos against them, if you are good at timing your attacks like me, you can hit them a lot of times before having to defend yourself, that way you can kill them quickly even if you only deal minimal damage per hit. The hard part is timing, because it's pretty strict, you also have to know when you have to defend yourself, which is specific for every opponent in the game. This doesn't work for every animal in the game, but majority of them are susceptible to these tactics. For example, this doesn't work on molerats and anything that uses the same AI and animations like them, if I remember correctly this doesn't work on lurkers too. In general, the faster beast's attacks are, the worse this thing works on them, because the requirements for timing your attacks become stricter.

Also, during some attack animations beasts will not flinch or jump backwards while getting hit, so if you try attacking them at the wrong time, you will trade hits with them and the trade will not be in your favor. This is why it generally doesn't work on molerats, because they just keep going through your attacks without flinching, it's why I said that I have troubles with turtles that share AI and animations with molerats, and it's also why I try to bait the bear into running attack and don't try to challenge his swipes, because it will not flinch while it swipes, so I will just take a hit if I try to attack it.

And finally, this works only on beasts, does not work on any humanoids at all. Because humanoids can parry and their attacks are the fastest in the game, if you try it on them you will take a guaranteed hit after your second attack.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Fargus
You were asking for a nice strength based weapon, check it out.
Head towards coal burners camp, keep going until you get to the broken carriage, corpse and fugitives, then turn right. You should see this cliff.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-22-26-12-50.png

There's a pair of goblin warriors on that cliff, you will have to get rid of them.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-22-25-51-28.png

They guard a pretty good one handed sword.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-22-25-34-62.png

Guys, don't sleep on the jewelry. The authors added rings with some cool unique effects, here are some examples. If only I had enough gold to buy them.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-22-20-05-56.png

Gothic2-2021-12-12-22-19-59-00.png

Gothic2-2021-12-12-22-39-07-71.png

The authors have hidden plenty of items underwater, you can find a lot of weed that gives you a hefty amount of HP if you eat it, you can also find some jewelry, belts and other items there.
Gothic2-2021-12-12-17-13-10-64.png

Sjukob

Arcane
I recorded a video showing how I kill high level beasts without investing any points in combat skills at all.
Here's a tutorial on how to melee humanoid opponents in Gothic. This works for humans, skeletons, orks and everything that uses similar AI and animations. But do note that orcs use different set of animations, but the core principle remains the same.

Always remember, you can never land more than 2 consecutive hits against humanoid opponents, it doesn't matter how high your weapon skills is, if you try to do it your attack will either get parried or you will get hit in return. In this video I show you how to fight humanoid opponents with advanced AI. The hard part about encounters like this is guessing wether they will hit once or twice, it's completely random and you can't predict it. What you do is you either stand still, let them approach you, parry/dodge and try to hit them, or you run towards them and as they are about to attack you parry/dodge and hit them while they recover. Parrying is riskier, because it protects you for a shorter amount of time, while dodge has longer protection window and also moves you away from danger, this however can be disadvantageous, because you might want to stay closer to the opponent so that your attacks can easily reach them. After you hit them, parry/dodge immediately, they might try to counterattack. In the video you can see that sometimes I only hit once and then defend, and sometimes I don't even try to attack at all, that is because I'm afraid of either second hit or counterattack coming out, it's better to be safe than sorry.

If the opponent decides to dodge instead of attacking just approach them again and be prepared to defend against their attacks, repeat this until you successfully bait them to attack you, you have to do it, because otherwise they will just parry your attacks. Because you can never land more than 2 consecutive hits against humanoids and because their AI is so random, I generally do not recommend fighting them without good combat skills, it's just tedious. There are also humanoids with much more simplistic AI, they fight like this: after taking a hit from you they will immediately try to hit you in return ONCE, they always do exactly this without changing their behaviour, sometimes they might try to just stand still for a while, but you can just hit them to reset the AI. Because you don't have to try and guess what they will do, it is much easier to fight them, just attack and then parry their counterattack, attack again and then parry, repeat this until they are dead. Because they never mix their attacks, you can do it with your eyes closed. Keep in mind, that only low level humans and skeletons use this simplistic AI.

As a bonus, here are the videos of me killing warg and big scary black bear, using the same tactics as I've showed earlier.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only in Chapter 1 but like what I'm seeing so far. Feels like classic Gothic.

Sjukob Timo is alive in my playthrough and agreed to help out when recruiting villagers for jobs, so I guess some minor C&C there.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
You know what? Imma make this official: Archolos is the best RPG city since Tarant.

Where you can learn taking claws and other trophies? I already got skins from that hunter in the village.
Lots of people can teach that. Off the top of my head, Gaston near Wolf Lair's gate or hunter commander whatshisname at Guild HQ should teach you.

Skdursh

Savant
Does this have the typical Gothic 2 mod installation experience of being a complete clusterfuck where I need to install the fix, systempack, playerpack, Ninja, the mod itself and then cross my fingers or have they actually streamlined it a little for once? I have the GOG Gold version (like every freedom-loving person should, that or the OG in-box as GOD intended).

Sinatar

Arbiter
Does this have the typical Gothic 2 mod installation experience of being a complete clusterfuck where I need to install the fix, systempack, playerpack, Ninja, the mod itself and then cross my fingers or have they actually streamlined it a little for once? I have the GOG Gold version (like every freedom-loving person should, that or the OG in-box as GOD intended).

Nah it's all good go to, just install the mod and go. The only extra step is if you want the DX11 nonsense.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still early, but already looks expertly crafted, the topography and item placements especially could have been made by Piranha Bytes themselves. Some silliness in the beginning with the teleporting if you stray far from your brother is hopefully the only such case.
Also, didn't NPCs in Gothic seek shelter when raining or have I been gaslighted?

Zariusz

Arbiter
Im not sure but i think they did, smithing also lacks animation, its more like in skyrim where you do everything in menu when you interact with anvil, while in G1 we could only make weak and primitive weapons, all those animations and interaction with different tools had some nice charm.
I miss infinite healing water barrels from Gothic 1 tho

Last edited:

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Still early, but already looks expertly crafted, the topography and item placements especially could have been made by Piranha Bytes themselves. Some silliness in the beginning with the teleporting if you stray far from your brother is hopefully the only such case.
Also, didn't NPCs in Gothic seek shelter when raining or have I been gaslighted?
Nope that only happens in Witcher games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom