Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Fargus

Arcane
Who can teach me how to remove fangs from animals? I talked to both hunters in Silbach, but they can't.

Btw, thanks for the detailed tip on where to get that sword, Sjukob. I think i passed that place earlier, but goblins wrecked me so i decided to visit them later.

Danikas

Arcane
Did anyone get into the city using the papers you can get from the elder of the starting villiage? I wonder how many exp you get for that I used the sewers to enter the city and got 1000 exp. Going through the sewers is not easy had to fight frogmen, aligators and giant bats.

gothic2screenshot2021f1kei.png

looking at steam achievments there is even more unconventional way to enter also Archolos in size beats any city made by Pirahna bytes :lol:

gothic2screenshot20215pjrg.png

gothic2screenshot20219ukrn.png

gothic2screenshot20217pj0t.png
gothic2screenshot20210pkhv.png
gothic2screenshot2021pvj4f.png

thesecret1

Arcane
This is massive incline. Really has that Gothic feel nailed down, and I like that the modders paid attention to details – find jobs for refugees, then find them with routines that actually work them, setting up a new stall for Ezekiel, etc. Feels like I'm playing Gothic 2 for the first time all over again.

Zariusz

Arbiter
This is massive incline. Really has that Gothic feel nailed down, and I like that the modders paid attention to details – find jobs for refugees, then find them with routines that actually work them, setting up a new stall for Ezekiel, etc. Feels like I'm playing Gothic 2 for the first time all over again.
And about Ezekiel, he will give us back that 250 sheckels of investition right?
RIGHT?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does this have the typical Gothic 2 mod installation experience of being a complete clusterfuck where I need to install the fix, systempack, playerpack, Ninja, the mod itself and then cross my fingers or have they actually streamlined it a little for once? I have the GOG Gold version (like every freedom-loving person should, that or the OG in-box as GOD intended).

Nah it's all good go to, just install the mod and go. The only extra step is if you want the DX11 nonsense.
To be clear, you don't even need to install G2 if you're downloading it on Steam. You just need to have it in your account, Archolos installs as a standalone. No fuckery. If you play in english, download the polish VO pack for a more Gothic experience.

thesecret1

Arcane
RIGHT?
In true spirit of Gothic, everyone uses any opportunity to jew you out of your shekels. That's why it's fair game to sneak inside their houses and take everything that's not nailed down.

This was an April Fools joke from 2020 but tbh i wish i could buy it in box.
91743046_2563205707265648_1900572905935208448_n.jpg
It deserves a collector's edition. It's 2021 GOTY, after all.

Zariusz

Arbiter
RIGHT?
In true spirit of Gothic, everyone uses any opportunity to jew you out of your shekels. That's why it's fair game to sneak inside their houses and take everything that's not nailed down.

But that is the problem, he is a filthy refugee with no house, the only property he has is his dead daughter and shekels that i gave him.
:M

Sjukob

Arcane
There's a quest that has you collecting sheep shit and smearing it over some guy's bed.

Fargus

Arcane
Found a nice 1h weapon
Right next to the city walls. Guarded only by two river flies. str 60 blunt damage 70
q2cX2cs.jpg
dNGvAwM.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tough year for me mod of the year wise. Ashes Afterglow and now this?

It's cruel making me choose.

Fargus

Arcane
So you can get into the city in chapter 1.
I parkoured my way there by climbing a mountain to the east and then jumping onto the rooftops like assassins creed fag. Bought some armor and finally learned the hunting skill i wanted then quit through the western part of the city by doing some more climbing.

Just make sure not to get close to the harbour. You'll be killed by a scripted sniper even if you're indoors.

Sjukob

Arcane
Is magic as bad in this as in vanilla G2 (notr)?
I am trying to build a mage character. Here's what you have in comparison to vanilla:
1) Ability to scribe scrolls and it's fairly cheap. You can craft quite a lot of scrolls throughout the game.
2) Enemies have lower magic resistance in general.
3) Spells generally cost less mana to cast.
4) You only have to learn magic circles, you can not craft runes here at all, only find them.
5) You can not join mage's guild.
6) Nobody will teach you magic circles, you have to find books and learn them yourself, of course this costs you LP.
7) There's a bigger selection of potions in general, there are some additional recipes for potions that restore mana and they are easier to craft than potions from vanilla.
8) There are magic staves that function like 2 handed melee weapons and deal magic damage, and require you to have enough mana to equip them. I have no idea if increasing your strength boosts their magic damage, I've asked about it on steam forums, but nobody answered me.
9) There's jewelry that gives various bonuses to your spells. See my post on the previous page for some examples.
10) Almost forgot about cooking and food, there are recipes to create dishes that restore a hefty amount of you mana points.

So far I say it's better than vanilla NoTR, but is still is a pain in the ass to play in comparison to melee builds.

By the way, are there any staves to be found in the world or do I absolutely have to pay 500 gold to get it? I've already looted novice staff from one of the corpses.
Gothic2-2021-12-13-20-04-18-77.png

Last edited:
Does this have the typical Gothic 2 mod installation experience of being a complete clusterfuck where I need to install the fix, systempack, playerpack, Ninja, the mod itself and then cross my fingers or have they actually streamlined it a little for once? I have the GOG Gold version (like every freedom-loving person should, that or the OG in-box as GOD intended).
The GOG-download is an installer that installs the already patched Gothic II and Archolos on top of it. So no hassle at all.

By the way: This game is brillant. In one situation I got the message to go to a NPC NOW - as a Gothic-experienced guy I thought there would be no consequence if I did some other quests first - but when I returned to the original quest a day later, the questlog told me the NPC had wandered off because he finished his duties at this place... and the quest was failed. I love stuff like that! It gives you the impression of a "real" world with "real" consequences.

Another funny thing I experienced: After cooking a soup for a hungry farmer, the guy walked away. He left the village and then went into the woods and just didn't stop. I followed him all the way back to the deserted house at the river (where you get at the beginning of the game). Then he crossed the river and walked on until he got into a secret valley. There he got attacked by frogmen. I waited until the frogmen had almost no HP left and finished them off for the XP. Then I found some interesting stuff back in the valley - stuff I never would have had the possibility to get otherwise on my low level. It's a bug, certainly - or maybe the game doesn't expect me to follow the guy all the way - but it was rather funny nonetheless.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
I've made it into the city, it's heckin rich!
Gothic2-2021-12-13-22-53-40-58.png

To be frank, obtaining papers was a trivial task and striking a deal with a merchant so that he can get you inside hidden in a barrel was also very easy, but not obvious. Taking a sewer route and fighting through frogmen and other monsters seems so much harder in comparison to these.

Danikas

Arcane
I've made it into the city, it's heckin rich!
Gothic2-2021-12-13-22-53-40-58.png

To be frank, obtaining papers was a trivial task and striking a deal with a merchant so that he can get you inside hidden in a barrel was also very easy, but not obvious. Taking a sewer route and fighting through frogmen and other monsters seems so much harder in comparison to these.
How much exp did you get for entering the city?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So far I say it's better than vanilla NoTR, but is still is a pain in the ass to play in comparison to melee builds.
My main problem in notr was that magic sucked so much in comparison to melee/ranged in terms of damage output and utility there was no point until 5th circle spells (with few exceptions of support spells such as ice block which require a high investment in non-magic anyway).

Unless scrolls require investment into magic stats, this would probably make magic even less useful as a specialization. Just craft scrolls instead ?

Danikas

Arcane
My main problem in notr was that magic sucked so much in comparison to melee/ranged in terms of damage output and utility there was no point until 5th circle spells (with few exceptions of support spells such as ice block which require a high investment in non-magic anyway).

Unless scrolls require investment into magic stats, this would probably make magic even less useful as a specialization. Just craft scrolls instead ?
Scribing magic scrolls requires 10 learning points and expensive materials and gold is much harder to come by in this mod than in notr.

Sjukob

Arcane
How much exp did you get for entering the city?
600xp for riding a cart inside a barrel.

Well, I haven't even learned the second magic circle yet. I will write more about my experience with magic in Archolos as I keep playing. I agree with you that in NoTR magic was just straight up ass. But to be honest, I don't think there's anything that can straight up outperform melee when you know what you are doing, it just scales very hard not only with your stats, but also with your personal skill as a player. I've already posted several videos in this thread of me beating high level opponents with only 10str, 10% one handed weapon skill and basic one handed sword, at this point I don't really need anything else aside from my patience to beat the game, but I understand that not everyone can or wants to play the game like this.

Last edited:

Mud'

Scholar
Is it worth it to install the DX11 thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom