Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah I've just installed it. I'll see if it'll make any difference, but it wouldn't matter much at this point. Although come to think of it, I haven't seen that many doom stacks of their's around lately.

just tried the game of thrones mod, without knowing anything about the books, the tv shows, the cereal box, the doll and the flame thrower.
there must be something wrong with my copy because starting as a puny duke i conquered the whole continent in 26 years (and i've been slowed down by 7 years because of a truce).
i wish i could apply all the extra functions in vanilla but the scenario by itself hasn't been much fun.

AngryDude

Novice
Damn, why paradox can't make the game like they intend to from the start ? Why instead they create a bugged mess without features which they add later on in dlcs? Is this their secret anti-piracy scheme to have unplayable game at 1.0, cash grab or they are just lazy ?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The game was great at 1.0. It was the first Paradox game I can think of that was great on release and it's only gotten better since. The DLCs have each taken several months to create; I imagine they don't have the full team working on them, but if they had, Crusader Kings still would have taken at least another half year to release if they had been part of the base game. It already had an 18 month development cycle, which is 50% longer than the previous Paradox games. I think you just don't know what you're talking about.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The game was great at 1.0. It was the first Paradox game I can think of that was great on release and it's only gotten better since. The DLCs have each taken several months to create; I imagine they don't have the full team working on them, but if they had, Crusader Kings still would have taken at least another half year to release if they had been part of the base game. It already had an 18 month development cycle, which is 50% longer than the previous Paradox games. I think you just don't know what you're talking about.
In Skywayism, you need a physical disc for an expansion or it was always ready.

oscar

Arcane
This game is magic. Playing as the Anjou dynasty in Jerusalem and have just inherited the French throne after spending a few reigns expanding into northern Egypt. Some random Plantagenet converted to Waldensianism, and the Pope called a crusade on him which the Norwegians used to accomplish what they couldn't in 1066 at Fulford and seized England. Islam has been largely fractured and crushed by a fatal combination of my expansion, Mongol conquest and an explosion of heresies due to multiple failed jihads.

The moment I love most in a Paradox game like this is where you get a reasonably plausible and interesting historical narrative like this game.

On DLCs, it's a lot better to get fully fleshed out Muslims, Pagans, Zoroastrians, Norse etc than be able to play them but having them play out no differently than a European Catholic dynasty. Only shoddy work has been the horrificly Mediterranean faces and the poor (male) Russian faces. It's telling that the BLC mod makes far more historically correct and interesting portraits than this commercial-grade work that looks nothing like the original art style.

oscar

Arcane
That goes without saying. I raged about it until hearing that it was a joke about the huge thread where people were demanding that Aztecs should be on-par with Europeans in EUIV.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
im a little confused when i conquer some north african counties as HRE and got 18 tech ones that are 2x better than my shitty 0-0-0 pomeranian home :( dam those niggas make nice cities huh

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Been having fun so far, more so than my previous Scotland game on 1.0. A friendly duke backed my forged claims to the Kingdom of Croatia and the 4 year old despot caved for some reason. What's more strange is that Hungary started out 2 times larger than Croatia, when they were united under one ruler. Now, after my surprising ascent it has been reduced to a rump state compromised of only a couple of provinces. Hell I think I even got some of the original despot's home provinces. I have no idea what the rules in this game are

Yeah, tech levels don't make the greatest amount of sense. They're basically only there to balance gameplay.

Muslims were generally ahead of christians for the time period. I don't know about those specific areas but it's not horribly inaccurate I would think. In any case techs are pretty weak compared to other Paradox games and they will naturally diffuse around the map anyway, contrary to EU3's five infantrys regiment annihilating 100k muslims who only have slightly worse guns.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, tech levels don't make the greatest amount of sense. They're basically only there to balance gameplay.

Muslims were generally ahead of christians for the time period. I don't know about those specific areas but it's not horribly inaccurate I would think. In any case techs are pretty weak compared to other Paradox games and they will naturally diffuse around the map anyway, contrary to EU3's five infantrys regiment annihilating 100k muslims who only have slightly worse guns.
Two tech levels between Nubia and Harer?

Yeah, that could be a little off (anyone with real historical knowledge could probably find dozens of problems), but it's generally of small importance and equalizes after a few decades.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gave up on my house Orsini game, the game just .. .crashes within minutes of me loading it.
I'm not sure what the hell is going on. It was getting interesting to with Byzantine becoming weaker and weaker, and Orsini claiming the Kingdom of Croatia's title with just 1 more county for Sicily. :( Much sadness.

Vaarna_Aarne

Gave up on my house Orsini game, the game just .. .crashes within minutes of me loading it.
I'm not sure what the hell is going on. It was getting interesting to with Byzantine becoming weaker and weaker, and Orsini claiming the Kingdom of Croatia's title with just 1 more county for Sicily. :( Much sadness.
Have you enabled the game to use address space without limit? This is the leading cause for crashes, and fairly easy to fix yourself.

Vaarna_Aarne

OK how do I do that
This guide is for Silent Hunter 4, but the same principles apply to modifying .exe files of Paradox games.

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/give-silent-hunter-4-a-memory-boost.shtml

Basically, just use CFF Explorer Suite to open up the exe file in the game folder, and then open the File Header characteristics to enable 'App can handle >2gb address space'. After that, the Paradox games will no longer have a bottleneck for memory usage, taking full advantage of your computer's power. Depending on how much you've got under the hood, you will likely see something like 2-4 times faster performance, and when a heavy-duty event that would normally crash the game happens, a few seconds of loading before resuming as normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom