Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Does CK2plus work with mod folder btw?

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
CK2plus added holy orders for pagans and islamic nations as a fun surprise for anyone wanting to just grab some pagan lands. ;)

I was wondering when they were going to do that. Have they also added the ability to play as muslims/pagans too? Last version I played, you couldn't

Vaarna_Aarne

CK2plus added holy orders for pagans and islamic nations as a fun surprise for anyone wanting to just grab some pagan lands. ;)

I was wondering when they were going to do that. Have they also added the ability to play as muslims/pagans too? Last version I played, you couldn't
Should be easy to add for them once they upgrade to the latest patch, since non-Christian playability is no longer hardcoded in it.

Noddy

Augur
FUCK this game is good

Havn't been this addicted to a game since rpgs were decent

Vaarna_Aarne

I wonder if the Warhammer Fantasy mod that they are tossing around in the Pdox modding forum is ever going to get off the ground. They have some nice ideas about how to implement things like vampires and such.

Vaarna_Aarne

du0gW.jpg

My favourite one.

EDIT:

bayeux2.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

So, anyone got any thoughts on CK2's announced DLC? Really thought Paradox set the bar for ridiculous DLC with their sprite packs. This however... It's easily as bad as the famous 'horse armor' that caused such an uproar back in the day. Amazing how people today react to stuff easily as cynically moneygrabbing as that one.

Even thought it was an april 1st joke but alas.

Cassidy

Arcane
I wonder if the Warhammer Fantasy mod that they are tossing around in the Pdox modding forum is ever going to get off the ground. They have some nice ideas about how to implement things like vampires and such.

Wow, this is like something I was really hoping to exist for CK2.

I wonder though how they will simulate the fact chaos forces are much stronger than non mutated humans through stats, considering I believe the maximum number of unit types is hardcoded. Although a chaos-only general bonus to all stats or unique building would do the job of course.

If it will feature the choice of choosing either one of the kingdoms or siding with BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, even better.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well if it costs the same as the sprite packs it's a step up. An easy to use coat of arms/dynasty generator/editor would definately be a nice thing though for pagan playability.

So is it actually an April's Fools joke?

EDIT: Chaos is megaboring (and would be super-megaboring in CK2) and should just be ignored in favour of better factions like Araby and Sylvania.

Multi-headed Cow

Dear Paradox,
Please run a Steam sale on CK2 because even though I desperately want to play I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed and quit after dicking with it for an hour two. A 50% off sale should be sufficient to push me over the edge.

Love,
Multi-headed Cow

PS: Deus vult

XenomorphII

Prophet
Dear Paradox,
Please run a Steam sale on CK2 because even though I desperately want to play I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed and quit after dicking with it for an hour two. A 50% off sale should be sufficient to push me over the edge.

Love,
Multi-headed Cow

PS: Deus vult

Get it now. You know you want to. Check out my LP too. It will make you want it, and hopefully make it less overwhelming too.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

So, anyone got any thoughts on CK2's announced DLC? Really thought Paradox set the bar for ridiculous DLC with their sprite packs. This however... It's easily as bad as the famous 'horse armor' that caused such an uproar back in the day. Amazing how people today react to stuff easily as cynically moneygrabbing as that one.

Even thought it was an april 1st joke but alas.

I think they said it was the most requested DLC and it's only $5. I'm not going to buy it but I could see why people would want it and it will let people like Vaarna_Aarne create their ultimate Finnish nationalist characters. I think the patches are the things that are going to have substantial changes, the DLCs are just going to be cosmetic. The patch that's coming out the same day completely changes crusades for the better + two other big changes they haven't released yet. I'm actually pretty excited.

Also holy shit, the Paradox forums are some of the worst I've ever seen.

Tigranes

Arcane
I like the new DLC, it's clearly requested, and I actually want it... but also think $5 is too high. Hrmmm.

And yeah, Paradox have always put a lot of work into patching, so it's good that DLCs don't take over there.

Kayerts

Arcane

Wow, this is like something I was really hoping to exist for CK2.

I wonder though how they will simulate the fact chaos forces are much stronger than non mutated humans through stats, considering I believe the maximum number of unit types is hardcoded. Although a chaos-only general bonus to all stats or unique building would do the job of course.

If it will feature the choice of choosing either one of the kingdoms or siding with BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, even better.

Even in the vanilla game, warrior cults and different CBs for different religions create reasonably dramatic differences between pagans and the Christian factions. Honestly, the Norse in CK2 don't feel that different from the Norse in Warhammer Fantasy.

Though yeah, I do kind of wish that by conquering enough counties, I could create the title of "Daemon Prince of Finland."

Get it now. You know you want to. Check out my LP too. It will make you want it, and hopefully make it less overwhelming too.

Seconding "get it now." Don't check out my LP, though; it might make you want it, but it will make it seem more overwhelming.

oscar

Arcane
When I played as a Pagan with it seemed like everyone else but me had the Warrior Cult.

Kayerts

Arcane
Wait, why didn't you have the cult? It's the best military building in the game, and the one good thing about playing pagan.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Can someone list out some basics needed to understand the game? My medieval history is lacking and a lot of these terms, titles and gameplay mechanics are a bit overwhelming. I do have EUIII and HoI2, but those don't seem very close to the gameplay of CK.

And has the game been improved since release? I'm split between this and the New Vegas collection (and I'll wait on whatever I don't get to go on sale).

XenomorphII

Prophet
Can someone list out some basics needed to understand the game? My medieval history is lacking and a lot of these terms, titles and gameplay mechanics are a bit overwhelming. I do have EUIII and HoI2, but those don't seem very close to the gameplay of CK.

And has the game been improved since release? I'm split between this and the New Vegas collection (and I'll wait on whatever I don't get to go on sale).

Well I will try to explain some of the titles. If there are specific terms you don't understand please say what they are and I will do my best to explain.

There are 5 levels of title. They are sometimes called something different in game depending on the culture of your character/liege. Each tier further up can make vassals of those lower than them on the chain. You have to have vassals because of demesne limits, which is the amount of land that any given character can personally hold before incurring all sorts of administrative penalties. Also just as a disclaimer, unlike in other Pdox games where you are a country, in CK you are playing as a dynasty. So the expansion and survival of the dynasty is more important than that of the country.

The lowest is that of the Barony. If you have seen any screenshots with a province selected you will notice pictures of castles/towns/churches/empty boxes in the lower left corner. Each of those represents a barony. They are designated by a plain bronze ring around the character portrait. Every barony held counts as +1 to your demesne (you can hold a barony, it just cannot be your only holding).

Next up the ladder is the Count. This is the lowest level that can be played. Starting out as a count keeps things simple (you don't have to worry about your barons doing anything to you too much so you don't really have to manage relations with them too much) but it will mean you are weaker, as due to demesne limits (counts have the lowest of all) you will probably only be able to hold 2-4 holdings without penalty, depending on the Stewardship skill of the count. They are designated by a simple silver ring. Every county title is +1 to your demesne.

Above counts you have Dukes. Dukes can become very powerful in this game, and is probably where I would say someone learning the game should start. You will probably have count ranked vassals (if not at start, then at some point) so managing relations with vassals comes into play, but you don't have the overwhelming relations management that a king can sometimes face and the rebellions of counts are generally very easy to put down. As a duke your demesne limit will receive a small bonus, allowing you to personally hold more land. Ducal titles and above do not count towards your demesne limit. They are designated by a more ornate silver ring with some blue ribbon wrapping.

Above dukes are the Kings. Kings must manage relations with their vassals and will likely face some significant rebellions. They receive a decent demesne limit bonus. A king should only have two ducal titles to his name, as any more causes an ever increasing (based on how many over 2 he has) relations penalty with his vassals. He can have as many kingly titles as he want, only receiving a small penalty to relations from vassals in the territories of that kingly title (so for example if I am the King of England and Scotland, and England is my primary title (what I show as on the map), then the vassals that I have in Scotland will have a small penalty for wanting to become the king of Scotland themselves). A king is designated by a simple gold ring.

The highest tier is Emperor. There are only a few of these in the game. 2 Christian (Holy Roman and Byzantine Empires), 2 Muslim (Shia and Sunni Caliphates), and the 2 Mongol Hordes that eventually show up. Emperors can have kings as their vassals. They receive a demesne bonus on par with that of kings. In game and emperor cannot create king level titles though (to prevent exploits). An emperor will probably have lots of vassals and need to mange his relations with a lot if he does not wish to fight endless rebellions. Emperors though are usually the most powerful of the lot due to their very large realms (the territory of the ruler and all his vassals).

Does that sort of clarify titles at least?

CK2 has received a few patches, and has another and some DLC on the way (a few weeks maybe?).

Also I do not envy your choice. I have both and like both games a lot. FYI FO:NV was on sale recently on steam and I would expect it to go on sale again before the relatively new CK2 goes on sale. If that helps any.

Edit: Might I recommend some local LPs to help you decide:

Mine, starting as the last Greek Orthodox Count in Italy:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...usader-kings-2-i-want-to-be-a-basileus.69371/

Kayerts, starting as a pagan (modded to allow, not natively playable) in Scandinavia:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ive-the-viking-age-in-crusader-kings-2.70403/

And Vaarna, were he starts pagan and makes Finland:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-ck2-the-song-of-our-people.70335/

There is another one floating around too, that follows the House of Godwin, as it fights off the invasions of Normandy and Norway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom