Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Finally Paradox released a game any retard can play.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sure - since you are finally able to play your first Paradox game and not just Halo. Maybe it will open your eyes to games that are not just "repeatedly press X" awesomeness.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Finally Paradox released a game any retard can play.

I agree with you, though I wouldn't have put it so inflammatorily. The game does lack depth, and the dynasty system doesn't quite make up for the richer gameplay you'd find in Paradox's other titles. It's still fun, but it could be better. Hopefully the expansions bring it up to par.

Renegen

Arcane
It's not like EU3 (after 4 expansion packs!) had any depth. What was its greatest depth exactly? National Ideas? The difficulty? if I played EU3 today I would run circles around the AI and conquer the whole world. I can do the same in CK2 and people always find new exploits, which arguably are more numerous given the clusterfuck character system.

Norfleet

2) Warscore calculation and levies replenishment. I would say that the biggest chunk of warscore in CK2 should probably come from victory on the field of battle.
That would make it rather hard: I've frequently found myself contending aganst enemies that don't apparently have an army. Either their army is lost in space somewhere, or that was it and I killed their puny 300 guys for a measly half-a-percent warscore. The territory in question is now mine. I get a measly 30% warscore out of the deal. Now what?

Too many times have I managed to get major territorial concessions after occupying 3 or 4 provinces and never having met the enemy in battle
If you've occupied 3 or 4 provinces, already, isn't it quite possible that he just doesn't HAVE an army? Besides, 3 or 4 entire provinces already IS kind of a major territorial concession. How much bigger a concession are we talking about? 3 or 4 provinces is generally an entire duchy's worth, and I figure if I've completely overrun the entire target duchy and none of their armies are bothering to contest this, yeah, it's mine now.

and too long have I managed to make the AI give up by just being a stubborn ass and fighting excessively long bloody wars with my infinite armies.
Yeah, that works in real life, too.

Of course the downside to the levy change would be that the AI would need to be much more careful about how it wages wars. Also, just to be clear, I like the ticking warscore and that he who holds the disputed territory gets gradual boosts to it, I just think it should be harder to get 100% warscore on an enemy without ever having engaged his armies and while only taking what are border areas to him.
Yeah, but what if the entire POINT of the war was over a bunch of border areas? If this is "war over random 3-province Duchy on the border" and his armies are nowhere to be seen as I overrun the entire mess and take it over, yeah, I think I've earned my 100% warscore, seeing as the object in question is now 100% mine and the opponent's army either doesn't exist, or is lost somewhere out in Bumfuckistan. It's mine now. I'm keeping it.

But for something like an entire Imperial crown, I should probably have to accomplish more. I should have to smash the Empire's entire army and occupy his entire personal demesne at least, not merely gank a few of his minor vassals out on the border. It should evaluate "What does he stand to lose from here?". When you've already taken everything he was going to lose anyway, he doesn't lose much, but if he still has much to lose by giving in, then he should keep fighting until he runs out of army.

On the other hand, if you delegate the business of conquest to a vassal, you shouldn't expect him to just hand over the full spoils of the war he won.
This was in CK1, if your King wasn't there personally, the commander at the scene ganked the title for himself and kept it.

XenomorphII

Prophet
The problem is that the particular wars I am thinking of there are not wars over those border provinces but for the guys primary title (emperor or king level). Sorry for not being more clear and specific. The warscore system works great as is for small changes and little shifts, it just kinda falls apart once you have large empires and kingdoms giving up because a few provinces that are effectively the boonies for them are lost.

And yes attrition should be a valid tactic, but armies replenish way too quickly as it is. I feel like with virtually any kingdom in game I can wage war endlessly and never ever run into manpower problems and that's just silly.

Multi-headed Cow

Before they patched CK2 to show cause of death on characters I thought I had a string of Unfortunate Accidents when all my male heirs died and put a princess in line for the throne. Imprisoned her to death, then cause of death was patched in and I learned that those Unfortunate Accidents were really unfortunate accidents. SORRY DAUGHTER.

Kayerts

Arcane
Before they patched CK2 to show cause of death on characters I thought I had a string of Unfortunate Accidents when all my male heirs died and put a princess in line for the throne. Imprisoned her to death, then cause of death was patched in and I learned that those Unfortunate Accidents were really unfortunate accidents. SORRY DAUGHTER.

If you patch your game, then load a pre-1.05 save, all causes of death will be set to natural causes. (Presumably because, prior to 1.05, the game wasn't keeping track of how people died, and natural causes are the default.)

So uh don't worry, your family-murdering ways might have been justified!

Multi-headed Cow

Oh. Well then I'll continue thinking my paranoia was entirely justified! Thanks bro!

newcomer

Learned
Too many times have I managed to get major territorial concessions after occupying 3 or 4 provinces and never having met the enemy in battle
If you've occupied 3 or 4 provinces, already, isn't it quite possible that he just doesn't HAVE an army? Besides, 3 or 4 entire provinces already IS kind of a major territorial concession. How much bigger a concession are we talking about? 3 or 4 provinces is generally an entire duchy's worth, and I figure if I've completely overrun the entire target duchy and none of their armies are bothering to contest this, yeah, it's mine now.

Well, the BE in my game surrendered the KINGDOM OF BYZANTIUM (Everything except Cherson) after I blitzed Byzantion, Tharke, and Lykia...
At that time BE is still a giant red blob, not in war with any of Seljuk, Shia Caliph, Aljebaizan, ect., and their total army is ~60k (well, my ~200k army is still much more than his though...)

After the war my demense is ~180 ... and that's less than 3 months after I started the war... I guess I took 15-20 minutes to distribute the spoils.
It doesn't take a genius to guess what happens to BE after this war...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Well, the BE in my game surrendered the KINGDOM OF BYZANTIUM (Everything except Cherson) after I blitzed Byzantion, Tharke, and Lykia...
At that time BE is still a giant red blob, not in war with any of Seljuk, Shia Caliph, Aljebaizan, ect., and their total army is ~60k (well, my ~200k army is still much more than his though...)

After the war my demense is ~180 ... and that's less than 3 months after I started the war... I guess I took 15-20 minutes to distribute the spoils.
It doesn't take a genius to guess what happens to BE after this war...
This is why I split the kingdom title in my mod, with a Kingdom of Greece in where Greece is and a Kingdom of Rum in the East. With Sword of Islam, I might split it further to Kingdom of Bulgaria and Kingdom of Nicae as well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's out on GG (together with a African Unit Pack and an arabic music DLC) and should be on steam in the near future. Dunno what time steam usually updates but rumors are that it should be in the next two hours.

Though I recall the last DLC to appear a day later. We'll see.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's here.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
EDIT: Nevermind. It's here.
You mean it's on Steam for you? Cause it's not there for me... :(

Just the patch. Seems the DLC is either going to appear later on (some dev said so) or will pull another ruler designer and appear a day late. We'll see. Must admit I'm getting rather tired of paradox products continuously appearing late on steam.

And no, I'm not going to start a new christian game with 1.06. I want to sack Rome and install a caliphate dammit.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Serves you right for buying Paradox games on steam :p

I've been playing SoI for a couple of hours now, and it's been pretty fun. The easy casus bellis muslims get to attack any neighbouring province, combined with the need to give land to each of your many sons to avoid decadence makes for a different kind of dynamic than playing the Christians. My liege kept giving single counties to his sons, and I kept attacking them until I controlled most of the realm. :smug:

The kind of dynastic maneuvering and strategic marriages that are very important to the Christians matter little to the Muslims, since women don't inherit shit. You do get alliances, but I've never found them very useful in CK2 anyway.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I paid 10 euro for CK2 + vicky2 + magicka + magicka dlc + SotS 1+2.

And now they want me to pay 14 euro to play as mudslimes? :hahaohwow:
Sorry paradox, I'm not THAT interested in finding out if Djinn exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom