Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

XenomorphII

Prophet
I have seen things go both ways.

France has been conquered by the Muslims (France just couldn't get a stable monarch, I kept and eye on them for about 100 years and no king made it more than 10 years, and the perpetual civil wars made them easy pickings for the Muslims of Iberia who are mostly united), the BE is reduced to barely holding onto Greece (they are only alive because the Persian Empire has been going through serious issues lately and changing its ruling dynasty every few years as they rack up 100% decadence fast while ruling over a huge empire), the Persians have also eaten into the Cuman (though they are still hanging on barely). (I was playing as Mathrafal in Wales and was still trying to secure my islands)

I have also seen the Christians rampage with France taking over Iberia and West/North Africa, with the HRE taking over the holy land, and the BE pushing into Persia.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In my current game France has been assraped, there's a Sultanate of Aquitane there that stretches from Spain to there. They haven't yet hit Decadence limit, but that'll happen eventually (though their constant wars slow this greatly). Still, it's ridiculous. There's also a Sultan in Italy.

Pretty much the only threat to Muslims in my game is my sly dynasty that has converted to Yezhidism and has a love for backstabbing its neighbours now that I've finally got the opening to Mauretania (Marrakech and Fens in one fell swoop). Still, too many males around, purges too expensive at the moment (besides, I'm deliberately working to piss of the Emir of Fens so I can set up a distant relative there after a brief asskicking). Eventually I'll conquer the rest of Mauretania in an Invasion (waiting for a Sultan who doesn't have big allies everywhere).

Luzur

Good Sir
Ooohkay, it seems Muslims are wayyyyyy overpowered now. So far the ONLY Christian country I've seen fight them off for extended periods has been... The Byzantine Empire.

For fuck's sake.

yeah, from what ive seen/read its now totally opposite of the original game, Muslims way too powerful, only chance to beat them back would be to unite Europe under HRE, shit going Islam right and left etc etc

ti guess the DLC need a patch to fix that down to more normal levels.

Any one figured out the new culture spread mechanic that came with the patch? There is a thread on it about on the official paradox forums but no one there seems to be able to make much sense of it. One interesting thing with it at least is that I've seen English culture spread from England into Normandy.

Vaarna_Aarne

I haven't noticed anything concerning the new mechanic. What does it actually do or is supposed to do?

Well the main thing seems to be that it allows cultural changes in provinces even if they do not border a province of the lieges culture as long there exists provinces of said culture in the realm. Such as this.

tdHix.jpg

Notice normandy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well that's not a big change. I can probably see if there's anything peculiar about it if I'd just go and take a look at the event file.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Memento Mori for CKII 1.06b

Memento Mori is a mod born out of a simple ambition. To bring back a little bit of the uncertainty and excitement that came with managing a dynasty in the original Crusader Kings with the excellent DVIP mod. While Crusader Kings II is in almost every aspect an improvement on the original game, Paradox has drastically lowered the difficulties and dangers that your characters run into during their life in the middle ages. Diseases back then were deadly, medical care was more apt to kill you than heal you, giving birth was like playing Russian roulette and violence maimed and killed as often as it gave prestige. This mod attempts to emulate the hardships that people endured in those times. Mind you, this is not made to make life for your nobles impossible or the game a whole lot more difficult. This is designed to make you stop taking easy births, chosen heirs, easy sickbeds and long lifespans for granted and to make you be a lot more invested in the succession of your lineage. In short, to make the Medieval Dynasty Simulator part of this amazing game a little more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
Wounds are more serious.
Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
More prestige gained for participants in battle.
Traveling over sea has become a bit more like the dangerous endeavor it used to be.
Assassination attempts have more serious consequences.
Sieges may lead to buildings being destroyed.
Children may now be stillborn and mothers can die while giving birth.

Many thanks to Wiz, Vaarne Aarne, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

http://www.mediafire.com/?qxl3db1mt45fhel

And dear Codex, do let me know how you like it. Been playing a few test games and am feeling quite happy about what I've seen so far. More feedback is however always appreciated.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm probably going to loot a few things from you after I port, namely the sea travel elements if I find them a useful balance feature and maybe the stillborn events (I quite intend on keeping the more arcadey style, I prefer it to borderline masochism).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Borrow all you want. Borderline masochism however? It adds a little tension and a bit more difficulty now that your nobles have lost their near imperviousness. You still really have to mess up to have your dynasty die out. To me CK was about managing a dynasty, not about painting a map. I was pissed enough at the 'streamlining' Paradox did with this aspect of the game that I decided to go modding.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
To all who bought SoI and played Muslim dynasties, how exactly did the 'camel-raiders-from-the-desert-defeating-decadent-dynasty' work?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
To all who bought SoI and played Muslim dynasties, how exactly did the 'camel-raiders-from-the-desert-defeating-decadent-dynasty' work?

I dont have it but I know how it works: camel riders appear as stacks around 14k and attack you. Not sure about number of stacks, saw screenshots with 4-6 but probably can get higher too.

Also those are not necessary camel riders, could be as well some local nobility banding together in the name if Islam to remove your decadent rule.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira

I dont have it but I know how it works: camel riders appear as stacks around 14k and attack you. Not sure about number of stacks, saw screenshots with 4-6 but probably can get higher too.

Also those are not necessary camel riders, could be as well some local nobility banding together in the name if Islam to remove your decadent rule.

Thanks, btw Is it a one-time event or a process? It would be nice if as your decadence go higher, the number of raids or (stacks) increases, culminating in a large invasion/rebellion. It would be also great if after defeating a major 'decadence raid', your decadence level would decrease to show renewed vigour of your dynasty.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Borderline masochism however? It adds a little tension and a bit more difficulty now that your nobles have lost their near imperviousness. You still really have to mess up to have your dynasty die out. To me CK was about managing a dynasty, not about painting a map.
It is a bit masochistic. I've tried to play your mod as Leinster and after uniting Ireland and Brittany I'm struggling to get to an adult ruler and then having trouble to have him survive for more than 5 years. Not that that's the only problem, all my landed sons over the centuries have had their entire branch extinguished forcing me to sit with a demesne way over its limit, due to agnatic succession laws. I'm not sure agnatic succession makes any sense with this mod. I think the mod doesn't push out enough children, if I have to be honest. Especially bastards.

Speaking of, can you in any way enforce what succession laws a vassal can have? Seems kinda silly that you can't mandate stuff like that. Maybe just enforce it on dynasty members? Anyhow, not so important.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thanks for the feedback, IDtenT. Females usually can have 5 to 10 pregnancies if they keep living through them. Of these children a little over half reach maturity. That's better than it was in reality. If rulers tend to die quick try to keep them out of battles. Those can be lethal, though the prestige bonus might make it worth taking the risk. Could you explain what you feel is wrong with the agnatic succession laws? Why do you want more bastards btw?

Personally I'm looking at crown, demesne and tax laws. Kings in those days really struggled to increase their authority. I feel CKII does not really reflect that.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Agnatic succession has the problem of seeing entire family branches die out, since none of the female can inherit and the males all seem to die out. Maybe I just had a tough time of it, but it ends up with you inheriting all the demesne from those deceased branches, compounding problems. The biggest problem though is having a child ruler and seeing him die, then the next, then the next. Ultimately stuck in the perpetual state of pre-teens, until the whole dynasty dies out.

I want more bastards because it's both closer to reality and it allows me to legitimise a bastard if everything goes to shit.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ah, thanks. Never had a run of child ruler die after child ruler myself. Pretty much half of the kids reach adulthood and adults tend to make it to their mid 40's in most of my games. Also do not try to keep a huge demesne around. Fractured vassal rulers with little to their name pose no threat and will keep all those negatives away. I'll try a few extra test runs tho.

Will have a look at bastard events for the next version. Perhaps their MTTH or chance to happen is very low as I cannot really recall a lot of them either. I'll check it out. Again, thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Actually a lot of the more interesting events seem to have very low chances to happen and huge MTTH's added so the chance of you seeing them more than one or two times is tiny. Many of those revolving around murder and mayhem and spreading the seed. I'll give this a better look.

Luzur

Good Sir
well the child-king dying right after a child-king scenario happened to me a couple of times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom