Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

oscar

Arcane
There's a mod with a 9th century AD starting point.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
What CK2 truly needs is an addon shifting the timeline a couple of centuries back (or 5-6 centuries rather, but that's too awesome to happen). With the Pagan DLC, of course. But I bet they'd sooner make a Subsaharan Niggers DLC.

It's more likely than you think, cause I think there would be a lot of fan enthusiasm for a Viking expansion, and to do that they'd also have to make a new starting scenario a couple of centuries back. Vikings being norse, they might get religion enhancements that could carry over to other pagans.

mondblut

Arcane
It's more likely than you think, cause I think there would be a lot of fan enthusiasm for a Viking expansion, and to do that they'd also have to make a new starting scenario a couple of centuries back.

I remember reading their old stance on adding more provinces somewhere on their board, that being "not gonna happen, we don't want to research 3 centuries worth of ruler lineages for each one". And a Viking Age expansion would mean researching 2 centuries worth of ruler lineages for the entire gameworld, the majority of which is not particularly researchable in the first place.That's about 100 times as much work as throwing in a dozen of useless nigger shitholes. Maybe if they go the EURome route, perhaps - but a simple addon is highly unlikely, and a DLC completely is out of the question.

DakaSha

Arcane
so i wanted to start up a game and all my DLC seems to be gone... wtf .. has anybody had this problem? I'm using steam btw

edit: apparently it is shitty steam but easily fixed

oscar

Arcane
Might save a 'Unify Russia' playthrough for when this Orthodox DLC comes out.

DakaSha

Arcane
is there ANY way to see the council of a specific ruler? I want to become spymaster and prove my worth by killing the current one but i have no idea who the fuck my lieges current sm is..

Multi-headed Cow

is there ANY way to see the council of a specific ruler? I want to become spymaster and prove my worth by killing the current one but i have no idea who the fuck my lieges current sm is..
Click the ruler to go to his/her character sheet, then click the court tab. Spymaster should be in there if there is one, as far as I know. Bit of a pain in the ass sorting through everyone else listed but eh. Don't know of an easier way to find it.

Luzur

Good Sir
It's more likely than you think, cause I think there would be a lot of fan enthusiasm for a Viking expansion, and to do that they'd also have to make a new starting scenario a couple of centuries back.

I remember reading their old stance on adding more provinces somewhere on their board, that being "not gonna happen, we don't want to research 3 centuries worth of ruler lineages for each one". And a Viking Age expansion would mean researching 2 centuries worth of ruler lineages for the entire gameworld, the majority of which is not particularly researchable in the first place.That's about 100 times as much work as throwing in a dozen of useless nigger shitholes. Maybe if they go the EURome route, perhaps - but a simple addon is highly unlikely, and a DLC completely is out of the question.

then why not make up some old ruler named like SvartAlf the Black or something, its not like the gamers will go in extensive research sprees on who ruled western Albania in 920 AD.

mondblut

Arcane
then why not make up some old ruler named like SvartAlf the Black or something, its not like the gamers will go in extensive research sprees on who ruled western Albania in 920 AD.

Duh, the rulers who actually have been around in 920 AD is the only thing that makes 920 AD relevant. What else, painting a map differently? Taking off 0.5 tech levels from everything? Bo-ring.

attackfighter

Magister
Damn Muslims rape everyone in all of my games. I was playing as Sicily just now, doing fine and improving my provinces etc., when suddenly the Shia Caliphate (or whatever it's called) declared a crusade on me, sent in about 30k soldiers and a few months later I was looking at the game over screen.

:rage:

Also every single crusade for the holy land ends in dismal failure...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Paradox does have a bit of a balancing problem in these things. Originally, Muslims would get assraped by Byzantium, and then everyone (except maybe Byzantium and HRE) would get assraped by gorram Mongorians. Now Muslims assrape everyone following Sword of Andhaira.

DakaSha

Arcane
Click the ruler to go to his/her character sheet, then click the court tab. Spymaster should be in there if there is one, as far as I know. Bit of a pain in the ass sorting through everyone else listed but eh. Don't know of an easier way to find it.

Yes I'm aware of this but I'm a count in the Seljuk kingdom.. He has a LOT of faggots sucking his dick. I ended up finding the retard but man they could have made that shit easier.

Also The 4 different ruler titles all play differently giving me a reason to play them all but sadly my counts all end up bring boring fucking games.. esp if the crown laws forbid me from starting wars with other counts/dukes.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
All that limit the size and power of mercenaries. Without them you will be stuck as count for a long long time. Other than that I dont see any possibilities for increasing the difficulty unless mods change game mechanics or add loads of negative events. Its just this kind of game. Do note that even in vanilla one bad ruler can spell the end of your empire.

attackfighter

Magister
So I've been playing this game for a few days and I've come to the conclusion that it's broken -

Warfare is extremely simplistic and strategy basically comes down to "outnumber your opponent and you will win". This turns a significant aspect of gameplay into a predictable and repetitive task. It also encourages blobbing and makes reliving historical moments impossible, since battles where a smaller force defeated a significantly larger force can't be replicated. I find it dumb that in order to win a crusade you either have to abuse the broken AI (in extremely cheap ways - say occupying Western Egypt knowing that the Fatimids will never divert any forces from the Middle East to oppose you) or you have to zerg them with a shitload of guys. Stuff like troop quality plays a minimal role and both sides will most likely have access to 3 or more high tier commanders, so leadership will rarely lead to variation either.

Diplomacy is rather tame and simplistic as well. The AI doesn't handle intrigue very well - mostly they just launch insignificant rebellions and are easily put down and imprisoned. The only reason to keep vessels happy seems to be to increase your tax income and to get laws passed. Keeping them happy amounts to having high diplomacy skill and giving them money/titles.

The only aspect of this game that really seems to be engaging is the character building aspect - getting your character high skills and training your heir - which is mostly done through pop-ups. It's not enough to carry the boring and repetitive warfare and diplomacy though, so overall I'd say this game is broken, with most features not at all living up to what they should be. And Paradox doesn't seem to notice/care about this, and neither do most fans, so I think it's unlikely that the core game will ever be improved very much, except maybe through mods.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
So I've been playing this game for a few days and I've come to the conclusion that it's broken -

Warfare is extremely simplistic and strategy basically comes down to "outnumber your opponent and you will win". This turns a significant aspect of gameplay into a predictable and repetitive task. It also encourages blobbing and makes reliving historical moments impossible, since battles where a smaller force defeated a significantly larger force can't be replicated. I find it dumb that in order to win a crusade you either have to abuse the broken AI (in extremely cheap ways - say occupying Western Egypt knowing that the Fatimids will never divert any forces from the Middle East to oppose you) or you have to zerg them with a shitload of guys. Stuff like troop quality plays a minimal role and both sides will most likely have access to 3 or more high tier commanders, so leadership will rarely lead to variation either.

Diplomacy is rather tame and simplistic as well. The AI doesn't handle intrigue very well - mostly they just launch insignificant rebellions and are easily put down and imprisoned. The only reason to keep vessels happy seems to be to increase your tax income and to get laws passed. Keeping them happy amounts to having high diplomacy skill and giving them money/titles.

The only aspect of this game that really seems to be engaging is the character building aspect - getting your character high skills and training your heir - which is mostly done through pop-ups. It's not enough to carry the boring and repetitive warfare and diplomacy though, so overall I'd say this game is broken, with most features not at all living up to what they should be. And Paradox doesn't seem to notice/care about this, and neither do most fans, so I think it's unlikely that the core game will ever be improved very much, except maybe through mods.

Agree 100%.

I stopped playing for the reasons you mentioned. Also it is extremely tedious when your empire gets large. Also, the AI's use of plots/marriage/inheritance appears to be almost random at time, while the player can use the same tools very effectively. That creates a huge advantage for the player, over and above the normal bad AI problems.

I switched back to EU3.

EU3 was bad on release too, so maybe they'll eventually fix CK2. But CK2 isn't going to get any expansions, just DLCs, so we'll have to wait and see if they can figure out how to sell a DLC aimed at fixing the game.

Garm

Learned
Paradox does have a bit of a balancing problem in these things. Originally, Muslims would get assraped by Byzantium, and then everyone (except maybe Byzantium and HRE) would get assraped by gorram Mongorians. Now Muslims assrape everyone following Sword of Andhaira.

Aarne, have you tried CK2+ mod? I've played at least 35+ hours with it and haven't seen Muslims doing as well as described in this thread. Occasionally they take some of Eastern Byzantium but that's about it...and the Spanish Muslims haven't ever taken Spain, much less went into France. They occasionally take Sicily once in awhile--then they get curbstomped out of it.

Honestly it seems like Byzantium is more of a problem in the mod...they still have like 75% of their empire most of the time even after 200 years...with only like 2 or 3 regions declaring indepence...most of the time the AI derps around deposing the emperor, but it still stays together.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You get other realms and other characters, power is also rebalanced in favor of Christians in Iberia and Muslims in Asia Minor. Muslim tech advantage decreases too. Crusader realms are especially fun to play (and very difficult, challenging games to be found there).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Still waiting on the song of ice & fire mod to reach a stable state and see if that'll re-ignite the spark. I absolutely loved CKII to bits at first, but the passion died almost overnight after 2-3 weeks of near-constant playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom