Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Memento Mori for CKII 1.09

Memento Mori is a mod born out of a simple ambition. To bring back a little bit of the uncertainty and excitement that came with managing a dynasty in the original Crusader Kings with the excellent DVIP mod. While Crusader Kings II is in almost every aspect an improvement on the original game, Paradox has drastically lowered the difficulties and dangers that your characters run into during their life in the middle ages. Diseases back then were deadly, medical care was more apt to kill you than heal you, giving birth was like playing Russian roulette and violence maimed and killed as often as it gave prestige. This mod attempts to emulate the hardships that people endured in those times. Mind you, this is not made to make life for your nobles impossible or the game a whole lot more difficult. This is designed to make you stop taking easy births, chosen heirs, easy sickbeds and long lifespans for granted and to make you be a lot more invested in the succession of your lineage. In short, to make the Medieval Dynasty Simulator part of this amazing game a little more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
Wounds are more serious.
Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
More prestige gained for participants in battle.
Traveling over sea has become a bit more like the dangerous endeavor it used to be.
Assassination attempts have more serious consequences.
Sieges may lead to buildings being destroyed.
Children may now be stillborn and mothers can die while giving birth.

Many thanks to Wiz, Vaarne Aarne, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

Install instructions: unrar the contents of the rar file into your mod directory. Mod is compatible with latest patch and all released DLC so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yhytkeb9mf7msw6

Will update the list with compatible submods asap. Culturally Different Cities and Syren's Nickname Mod should work.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Republics are out!
sSrpE.jpg

My man Silvio will lead Venezia to greatness!

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Lol they fucked up game with new patch and dlc. Buttons are missing, people get wrong checksum, missing coat of arms, patch with broken installation, new music not working and for fuck sake they cut the demesne limit a bit too much. My emperor with combined stewardship of 46, legalism of 4, have 11 demesne limit(was 14). Wait and don't rush with installation.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Business as usual then. Good to hear about demesne, was way too big - its not a medieval game if you dont get loads of vassals.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Reposting this here, Steam DLC is up on GreenManGaming

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e...s-ii-republic/

Gives you a code to activate on Steam.

Use this code to save $2: GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK

Music works, buttons have been moved around a bit, you can now add fav map modes and I enjoy the cut demesnes. Republic gameplay feels a bit weak so far though. Will have to learn the nuances for a bit.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trash or anyone else who also bought it, please write a short review about the DLC after you play it a bit. $8 is a significant of money for a poor studying potato, so I would like to make sure I don't throw these money into trashbin...

Wise Emperor

Arcane
I didn't bought it now it, but I think somewhere in the future(during some sale) I probably will. From what I red on Paradox forum: If you don't desperately crave for playing republic, leave it for now, because this doesn't alter play like, let say retinues in LoR. It's strictly for those few republics.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Republics are out!
My man Silvio will lead Venezia to greatness!
Things did not go so well for Silvio Berlusconi :(
His impious ways quickly saw him fall out of favor with the pope (he had both Lustful, Hedonist and Cynical traits), so he was soon excommunicated and the Kaiser declared war and forced him to abdicate in favor of a rival patrician. After that he lost most of his trade posts to war and misfortune.

He still controls a couple of cities in southern Italy that he managed to conquer during his brief career as Doge, so you never know when Silvio will be back on top!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Trash or anyone else who also bought it, please write a short review about the DLC after you play it a bit. $8 is a significant of money for a poor studying potato, so I would like to make sure I don't throw these money into trashbin...

Right now it's a resounding meh for me. The events are nice and the gameplay is different. However for me it's quite underwhelming. In fact, the whole new merchant family gameplay feels limited and underwhelming. While it really is different from vanilla it lacks the shine of for instance SOI. Half assed republican political play, a merchant dlc with no trading apart from setting up a new type of holding, was expecting to see plots to send pirates and robbers after my competitors or do other nasty business tricks but there are none. CKII is not a game about mercantilism and this DLC doesn't change that, nor does it add something really fresh and cool to the game. Disappointed. Thoroughly, even when the basic dynastic gameplay is still neat.

This DLC felt like padding. Hope that they'll now focus on something a bit more solid. Church (holy orders, cardinals) and playable pagans (second wend uprising ftw) should be a lot more interesting.

Originally they said this:

So what did we cut from Crusader Kings II? Basically, this:
  • A medieval style chronicle with annual entries
  • Trade post holdings built by the republics (Venice, Genoa, etc)
  • Hiring ships from the great republics
  • Relics that can be found, looted, and used to build cathedrals
  • Loads of very rare narrative events (like "The Gates of Hell") with multi-generational effects
  • A viceroy/drots/great seneschal council position for each kingdom held
  • Cadet branches of dynasties
  • Adventures - younger sons raising an army and going off to conquer something on their own
Will all these things become DLC? Probably not, but some likely will, and others might be patched in for free (or, well, basically paid for by those who do buy our DLC.) Note that playable non-Christians, republics and theocracies were never planned (though always considered good material for expansions.)

Will be interesting to see what they'll focus on adding now. Narrative events, chronicle would be nice. Theocracies and non-christians seem like a save bet.

Am however enjoying the patch. Nerfed demesne limits make mappainters cry hard at semblance of challenge. Their sweet tears soothe me. Am pissed feuds are only for republic families and did not make it to noble dynasties. It would have made vanilla gameplay a shitload more interesting.

Demense nerfed only to let players play as republics to get much more income or take trade posts to get more income. Doesn't sound more challenging. Not that anything is challenging in CK2 after retinues got added.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It is when you add my mod. My dynasty is currently on the brink of extinction after several long bloody wars, a few epidemics and some nasty backstabbing. Now my heir only needs to survive untill adulthood and untill he breeds and then I'm save again. Still, that asshole regent is fucking shit up for me.

But yeah, I'm still butthurt at the intense 'streamlining' that happened to the unforgiven gameplay and difficulty of the original CKI.

It's more a question of whether it's hard coded or not. Could be as simple as removing a requirement from an event trigger somewhere.

mondblut

Arcane
Bummer. They injected a bunch of new buildings in the middle of building list, thereby fucking up all the ongoing construction in older saves (which is referred by the sequential number of a building in list, not its id).

Borelli

Arcane
What are some good mods for CK2? I heard CKplus is good does it work with 1.09?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What are some good mods for CK2? I heard CKplus is good does it work with 1.09?

CKIIplus is a decent one. Modder went a bit too far with his balancing for my liking but he is very good at what he does. Mod however isn't updated for 1.09 so won't work. In fact, none of the big mods are updated so far. The Game of Thrones mod is also a fan fav, although I've not tried it so far and a lot of people seem to like The Prince and the Thane.

If you just want to add a little spice try my own (already updated) mod I posted about here. Personally I like a few small flavour mods, Syren's Nickname Mod, Culturally Different Cities and the Better Looking Characters one. Of those only Syren's Nickname Mod is updated.

CKII so far is really missing something akin to DVIP with most mods having either issues or showing their makers likes and dislikes far too much. Too much or little balancing, too much larping, many focusing on one area in particular, none bringing together the shitloads of events that are floating around, none seperating the shitload of events into popamole and incline.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think the main problem against such mega-mods coming up is two-fold: 1) As we all know, most modders are secretly jealous drama queens 2) The fact that the DLC schedule for CK2 has been really fast-paced makes the maintenance of a mega-mod a huge pain. Sure it would be nice to have such a thing, but fortunately CK2 is by starting point the most complete Paradox game (so there's not as much of a need for one like with, say, Vicky 2 and APD).

On another note, I for one don't mind the more arcadey elements of CK2. Difficulty is a thing of its own with standards that are about as clear as the bottom of the Baltic Sea, and probably the most subjective element for the audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom