Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Is there a CK2 port of the DVIP events? I think those events were made separately by an Italian modder before being incorporated into DVIP itself. I want mods that would force me not to speed up the game when not fighting wars.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Is there a CK2 port of the DVIP events? I think those events were made separately by an Italian modder before being incorporated into DVIP itself. I want mods that would force me not to speed up the game when not fighting wars.
Doubtful. The thing is, Europa engine had a different (a lot more clumsy) format for writing events than Clausewitz does. You'd have to create them almost from scratch for CK2.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CK II has now incest - fathers fucking their young daughters :incline:
30F0691C134741AB12B42075BAC167D4F4A57998

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Has NOW incest? Incest was always in as long as I remember way back from CK1. Just not really... intended. Mostly.

What was hilarious in CK1 was the fact that game only checked dynasty so you could intermarry like crazy while having two dynasties marry each other.

Vaarna_Aarne

So am I. Depending on how it is, I'll either use it or the Russian pack clothes for Finno-Ugrics. Maybe combine the two if needed.

(Also, fun fact I learned today completely at random: Genetic research suggests that Rurik was actually Finnish)

Unless they make a 900 scenario, then having a Viking focus as Pagan DLC is hilarious, the equivalent of having a Zoroastrian or Jewish DLC, no, its even worse, in CKII Nordic Pagans are mostly some far-away nobles tucked in some backward Norwegian province. I think that a deep exploration of Finnish and Lithuanian pagans would be helluva interesting, fuck you guys and your pop-culture history.

So am I. Depending on how it is, I'll either use it or the Russian pack clothes for Finno-Ugrics. Maybe combine the two if needed.

(Also, fun fact I learned today completely at random: Genetic research suggests that Rurik was actually Finnish)

"I must destroy the Worst Rus!" - said Vaarna

"No Vaarna, you are the Russians!" - replied Cernel Garfunkel

And then Vaarna was a Novgorodian.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira

You are what you hate (or rather what you hate is what you are). :smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

I know guys, it's a nightmare that never ends.

Unless they make a 900 scenario, then having a Viking focus as Pagan DLC is hilarious, the equivalent of having a Zoroastrian or Jewish DLC, no, its even worse, in CKII Nordic Pagans are mostly some far-away nobles tucked in some backward Norwegian province. I think that a deep exploration of Finnish and Lithuanian pagans would be helluva interesting, fuck you guys and your pop-culture history.
Actually another part of it is that Norwegians and Swedes are a bit too far up to the North for the startdate. One thing I probably should do is add an impassable mountain range between Finnmark and Kola/Kemi to manage things better with the Kvens.

I know guys, it's a nightmare that never ends.

Actually another part of it is that Norwegians and Swedes are a bit too far up to the North for the startdate. One thing I probably should do is add an impassable mountain range between Finnmark and Kola/Kemi to manage things better with the Kvens.

Don't worry, perhaps you will have a chance to erradicate Russia, just try and survive any coming cataclysm and re-emerge with a game-plan.

Yeah, a DLC focused on a bunch of guys in the ass-end of nowhere sucks. Finland and Lithiania are near a lot of places. Also, Pagan DLC can be used for Mongols too. That's why having a Aesir focus is ridiculous.

Why it helps manage better?

Destroid

Arcane
Is there anything you can do in this if a larger neighbour has lands you want? I control all of Ireland as King except for two provinces that are ruled by the English king, and obviously on the battlefield he can skullfuck me anyday he wants. Maybe try killing off successive kings to muddy the succession and cause rebellions giving me a chance to snap up the Irish counties?

Also, suggestions for fun places to play now that I've done a learning game in relatively isolated Ireland?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Try ERE (Byzantium to HRE lapdog Paradox) forget about Normans and Worst Turk your own family and Dynastoi will rape you in most untastful way. Played as Capetan of Italy once, managed to beat Normans and Saracens in Italy, form Despotate od Sicily and even retake Rome for Empire and Orthodoxy, what came after my 85 years ruler got poisoned by his 5th wife? His grand-grand son from Achaia took over and all his Uncles and Cousins rebelled against him. He escaped to Latium and entire Italy is since at war. Half of those threcherous bastards got what they deserved though, blinded, castrated or both. M:CK2 is not fun when you metagaming with all 40 ubermensh and color your map, playing is as RPG when you and your dynasty can screw things is lot more interesting.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Is there anything you can do in this if a larger neighbour has lands you want? I control all of Ireland as King except for two provinces that are ruled by the English king, and obviously on the battlefield he can skullfuck me anyday he wants. Maybe try killing off successive kings to muddy the succession and cause rebellions giving me a chance to snap up the Irish counties?

Also, suggestions for fun places to play now that I've done a learning game in relatively isolated Ireland?

Intermarry to get your own dynasty members with claims, start killing of the other pretenders, voila. Or start formenting rebellions and jump in when the realm is in turmoil.

As for fun places, Barcelona and Southern Italy are always neat because of all the shit going down. In Poland near the pagans is always good for learning how to curbstomp savages. Byzantium empire is fun to start low and work to keep it together or let if fall while also advancing your dynasty.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In Southern Italy you have 4 cultures to choose from Normans, Saracens, Longobards and Rhomanoi and 2 great empires meddling in how this can be bland indeed. Another fun thing to do pick some ancient house which barely hangs on some backward country and let it back to glory: Karolingers in HRE, House of Leon in Castile-Leon and Comenids of Trebizond come to mind.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira

You can play the Karling counts of Vermandois (just north of the king of France) and try to reclaim the kingdom form those upstart Capets (You were a direct descendant of Charlemagne). Also, anywhere within the French-HRE border is great if you prefer the waiting-assassination-inheritance game while alternately swearing allegiance to both behemoths. Play as one of the Iberian kingdoms or the South Italian duchies if you prefer constant wars against infidels.

If you want to play as Muslim, you can start by playing Mali, which is the Muslim equivalent of Ireland for Christians. Anywhere within North Africa/Sicily is also good. Interesting dynasties would be Hashimids (in Mecca) and Abbasids (in Baghdad), which were related to Muhammad (Fatimids do not count because they're already a blob).

If you have the latest dlc, you can also start as Gotland (the Grand Mayor or patricians). This is also a good tutorial area for republics since you're alone in the Baltic unlike in Mediterranean where you have fight at least two of Venice, Pisa or Genoa.

Vaarna_Aarne

Irish vikingry is also an option. Mercenaries can also tilt the war permanently in your favour, as those are generally worth two normal troops for most of the game. So basically just save up a lot of money if you want to beat them in the field. If you can capture the two provinces, victory is just a matter of holding on to them and fighting off the English devils.

As for a suggested location, if you've got Sword of Andhaira, Mali is a good location as well. Generally places far away from the opposing major religious group are good, makes you much less likely to be targeted by an unstoppable rapetrain.

Destroid

Arcane
I think my Irish conquests are just about done... an unfortunate line of succession lead to a fool taking the throne with no children, who was promptly assassinated by his vassals, leaving a 47 year old woman with no children of the correct dynasty and an imprisoned husband take charge. The husband is dead, but shes too old for more, so now I must wait out the 10 years to change from primogeniture to seniority or its game over. I did manage to swing the Kingdom of Brittany by inheritance though, which is nice.

EDIT:
Couldn't secure the support of my vassals, game over :(

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
It seems that the Italian republics from latest dlc is too aggressive. Pisa, Venice and Genoa are vying for the title of SPQR wannabe as they gobble up the North African muslims in search of an imaginary Carthage to destroy.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Republics already were insanely powerfull due to their income. Now they can recieve even more and the AI has learned to use mercs. To top it off they also recieve a coastal casus beli that lets them run all over the area.

So as in every big DLC so far the subject at hand has become way overpowered and blobs like crazy. Fist muslims, then Byzantium and now the republics. I for one can't wait to see the inevitable pagans racing into Europe like a plague of locusts as soon as that DLC comes out.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Wait for rebellions, or for the king to be in a big war with say Scotland.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well republics did conquer a lot of lands in the Mediterranean but maybe they should aim for islands as in real life... Unlikely they would succeed at taking Tunis. Or maybe just for some time.

What tears? We shrug and spend 3 seconds to restore the original values in defines.lua.

You should be happy with republics now. Trade posts are basically mini-cities with no technology requirements to upgrade and are 2-10x more efficient at generating returns than anything else in the game (actually generating more money in a trade post than the max upgrades an early game city can get, for less cost than a bare bones city) and don't count against your demense. Also republics get ridiculous +retinue upgrades for both trade posts (+500 for 400 gold) and their family house (which gives +6000 for something like 1500 investment).

And of course, free casus belli against any naval province to take their city, which can then turn into taking the province once you have the city. Basically just dogpile any minor coastal nation so that you can get discounted trade posts (cost scales based on distance from nearest holding and how much ruler like/hates you, can go as low as 90-100 gold each). The ONLY way to face (minor) trouble is to get embargoed, which actually means some feudal nation declares war on you and destroys all your trade posts if they win. Solution is to bribe said nations and embargo other republics first, then build sweet cheap trade posts as soon as theirs are gone. Otherwise when I got embargoed by the ERE I just hired 3 merc groups and slapped their shit.

Just for lulz, after taking most of the trade posts in the Mediterranean and stretching up towards England I did a back to back invasion of France and HRE. When that was over I owned most of Spain, France and HRE. My final retinue limit? 70k from trade posts, 58k from manpower. And I had even stopped upgrading the trade posts after a point because I was simply too lazy to click upgrade 500 times.

For all intents and purposes Republics are the new Mongols. Or Aztecs, since they are about as historically plausible.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
So next patch in February with Scandinavian face pack and seriously downgraded republics? Ehh Paradox, do I need to wait another 2 years to play balanced game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom