Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clockwork Revolution - inXile's steampunk time travel first-person action-RPG led by Chad Moore and Jason Anderson

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh look another fps masked as rpg!
This has actually been a pretty undersaturated genre for the past 10 years while we've had quite a number of traditional RPGs. Fallout 4 in 2015, Mankind Divided in 2016, Outer Worlds in 2019, and Cyberpunk in 2020, that's pretty much it.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
The entire assumption to trace steampunk to "The Differential Engine" (who was a split work of Gibson & Sterling) is just a blatant ignorance of works pioneered by Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. The term actually was coined way earlier, by writers like Tim Powers and Kevin Jeter.
  • 1987 K. W. Jeter in Locus Apr. 57/2
    Personally, I think Victorian fantasies are going to be the next big thing, as long as we can come up with a fitting collective term for Powers, Blaylock and myself. Something based on the appropriate technology of that era; like ‘steam-punks’, perhaps.

That said, mechanical calculations were a thing up till '70, as Curta calculators were mass produced up until then. Gibson mentions them in Pattern Recognition.

220px-Curta_-_National_Museum_of_Computing.jpg
For that matter, Vannevar Bush led a team at MIT that created the Differential Analyzer in the 1930s:

102680080-03-01xpdct.jpg

Speaking of technology, these days we have tendencies to focusing on computerization or fuel cells. But what with materials? Every time when I see cast iron machines I always ask myself "How is it even standing/not exploding?". Or buildings. Metal skeletons and reinforced concrete is an XIX century technology, but mass used from XX century, when has changed our overall knowledge about architecture. And there we have ten floor of ornamented bricks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This has actually been a pretty undersaturated genre for the past 10 years while we've had quite a number of traditional RPGs. Fallout 4 in 2015, Mankind Divided in 2016, Outer Worlds in 2019, and Cyberpunk in 2020, that's pretty much it.
Kingdom Come Deliverance (2018) as first person slasher?

samoilaaa

Educated
yeah , for now it will remain to be seen how much of an rpg this game will be

La vie sexuelle

Learned
yeah , for now it will remain to be seen how much of an rpg this game will be
It will be "RPG" just like in this song:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also Prey and Brigand: Oaxaca in 2017.

ind33d

Educated
looks like beta Bioshock Infinite from before they cut 95% of the content

should have just licensed irrational's assets

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
why would you do steampunk if you wanted lots of robots? Space opera is what you're looking for
Mechanical men are a common retrofuturist trope.
This site is fucking packed with philistines, their influences and inspirations cannot be any more obvious, but a staggering number of you struggle to grasp even the basic ideas at play here.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The problem with steampunk robots is they probably fall under these categories:

1. They're actually magic
2. They're actually alien tech
3. It's time-travel shenangins and its just ChatGPT 10.0, lol

It will be "RPG" just like in this song:

How does this gem have sub 700 views? :argh:

It's a shame though that with a fistful of exceptions, cRPGS by and by do not have good writing, stories or characters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
why would you do steampunk if you wanted lots of robots? Space opera is what you're looking for
This site is fucking packed with philistines, their influences and inspirations cannot be any more obvious, but a staggering number of you struggle to grasp even the basic ideas at play here.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't give a rat's arse about the genre's conventions, but as Tyranicon explained, the whole idea is kinda derp. I mean, they're going full retard with this one, as the nigger on a treadmill example shows. So the last thing anyone will wonder about with this game might be how their automatons work.

Cross

Arcane

I already thought this came across as a lazy pastiche of steampunk clichés before I saw this, but I didn't realize how bad it was. They seem to have copied almost every minute detail from BioShock Infinite, right down to the apparent leader of the freedom fighters in both games being a black woman wearing a scarf. Though I'm sure InXile will claim it's totally original because they made her scarf a different color.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I know!

It's a shame though that with a fistful of exceptions, cRPGS by and by do not have good writing, stories or characters.

In fact is even worse - RPG have awful stories because are written by mostly awful writers. Exposing their "skill" in modern games is a great tragedy.

So a few things.

1. Despite a lot of cRPGs being barely disguised books, lots of RPG enjoyers still don't have a true grasp on writing quality.

2. The old wave of cRPG writers seem to be comprised mostly of people who wanted to share their TTRPG campaigns, or failed novelists.

3. The new wave of cRPG writers are people who watch Critical Role and/or former games journalists that weaseled their way into a real job.

4. 50-90% of writing in vidya will probably be automated within the next few years. "No way" you might say, but from what I've seen of how low writers are in the dev totem pole this is absolutely going to be true. This will have the catastrophic consequence of reducing the number of amateur-level writers, or those just starting out. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing in the long run is yet to be seen.

5. The future will be AI slop written for an under-educated mass of dopamine seeking youths trained to be cashcows.

So good news. That cyberpunk dystopia we've been expecting for a century now is right around the corner.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So good news. That cyberpunk dystopia we've been expecting for a century now is right around the corner.
The cyberpunk dystopia we've been expecting since the 1980s already arrived in the 2010s, except with terrible aesthetics compared to iconic 80s cyberpunk such as Max Headroom:

tumblr_mj2k3dkHrz1qj8szio1_1280-700x542.jpg
ee85436b00ade8c8d2f18355f5fa4cc1--tv-ratings-into-the-future.jpg

8b34af04801a87b208f559e12b5599d0---minutes.jpg
headroomgroup.jpg
420f2ccfc999598b1624b0273d9f269a--into-the-future--minutes.jpg

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer

I know!

In fact is even worse - RPG have awful stories because are written by mostly awful writers. Exposing their "skill" in modern games is a great tragedy.

So a few things.

1. Despite a lot of cRPGs being barely disguised books, lots of RPG enjoyers still don't have a true grasp on writing quality.

2. The old wave of cRPG writers seem to be comprised mostly of people who wanted to share their TTRPG campaigns, or failed novelists.

3. The new wave of cRPG writers are people who watch Critical Role and/or former games journalists that weaseled their way into a real job.

4. 50-90% of writing in vidya will probably be automated within the next few years. "No way" you might say, but from what I've seen of how low writers are in the dev totem pole this is absolutely going to be true. This will have the catastrophic consequence of reducing the number of amateur-level writers, or those just starting out. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing in the long run is yet to be seen.

5. The future will be AI slop written for an under-educated mass of dopamine seeking youths trained to be cashcows.

The design problem of ARGs is that they never end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom