Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex Server Upgrade Drive

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Two searches for "Amiga exclusives"! +M

XnrmSPc.png

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
well, I tried to donate, but Paypal refused
I tried with an old account after resetting the password => paypal doesn't let me connect
I tried with a new account => paypal refuse to process the payment

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
You can use the anon donation option at the bottom of the donate page which goes to my account; you have the option to donate with debit and credit cards there.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can use the anon donation option at the bottom of the donate page which goes to my account; you have the option to donate with debit and credit cards there.
I wanted to get that physical reward and user tag, though. I'll try again later, if not I'll donate to your account, thank you for letting me know.

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
A decision has been made regarding physical reward.

More information will be available when more information is available.

We will only do this reward for this fund raiser.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Taluntain

Will the new server be able to make local image backups?

Part of me died when Admiral Rimjob POOBUM 's comics were destroyed by image rot. Many LPs have been lost too. :(

Patrons can upload pictures; though I no idea if the server can store LPs worth of pics. Also for Admiral Rimjob's comics, I though they were still accessible since the pics are stored on photobucket

And in other news, I successfully donated, I just had to wait a few days before being able to use the new account (and it wasn't just because I kinda forgot about it)

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Taluntain

Part of me died when Admiral Rimjob POOBUM 's comics were destroyed by image rot. Many LPs have been lost too. :(

That is something that we'd need to offload to a CDN; if we started storing all the images locally, we'd use up all the hard drive space pretty fast. But that's a rather large can of worms; we'd need to define the largest allowed image dimensions and file sizes, who's allowed to upload this to the Codex storage and under what conditions, etc. I guess this has been filed under the unfinished "Codex gallery" project to handle later on.

Gregz

Arcane
Taluntain

That is something that we'd need to offload to a CDN; if we started storing all the images locally, we'd use up all the hard drive space pretty fast. But that's a rather large can of worms; we'd need to define the largest allowed image dimensions and file sizes, who's allowed to upload this to the Codex storage and under what conditions, etc. I guess this has been filed under the unfinished "Codex gallery" project to handle later on.

Forgive my ignorance, but
  1. 8TB drives are selling for $150
  2. A high detail JPEG is 4MB
  3. Back of the napkin math shows that one such drive could store 1.8 Million images
What am I missing?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Taluntain

Forgive my ignorance, but
  1. 8TB drives are selling for $150
  2. A high detail JPEG is 4MB
  3. Back of the napkin math shows that one such drive could store 1.8 Million images
What am I missing?

Our server isn't in somebody's home on consumer hardware and connection but on server-grade hardware in a datacenter where the expense for any hardware is much higher and billed monthly. And the more images we serve locally, the more bandwidth we use as well. And everything we store, we also need to back up, and large backups are harder to manage. On top of that, serving dozens of thousands of large images every day reduces the server's available capacity for other requests when it constantly has to serve images. It all adds up. But the extra cost isn't the major issue here since it's relatively low via a CDN, it's ideally moving all the static content and images to it and setting it all up. There's about 20 other things on the Codex to-do and there are other priorities right now.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A decision has been made regarding physical reward.

More information will be available when more information is available.

We will only do this reward for this fund raiser.

Do to Covid regulations, private jets to a secluded hotel on a Seychelle island had to be chartered in order for this important meeting to take place.
This has, unfortunately, taken up the entire amount of funds already collected. It was a tough decision but in the end, a sacrifice DU was willing to make.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom