Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex Server Upgrade Drive

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
or a nice mug, with maybe "doesn't scale to your level" on it

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
:keepmyjewgold:
Best of luck with the drive though.
I see that you're already over 4.000 USD. Truly, a goy and his shekels are easily parted.
Also blow me Infinitron, I'll donate when you donate.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
My only concern is this:

DarkUnderlord said:
We also want to migrate to the snappier XenForo 2 forum software which will mean a lot of work behind the scenes just to make everything look and work like it currently does (mostly) BUT UPGRADES YAY.

Why? "BUT UPGRADES YAY" is not an obviously positive thing. Most widely-used software today actually get worse with updates, not better. This is why nothing about computers feels discernibly faster after decades of hardware improvements, because newer software is slower and often times less secure. (Ironically, games remain the only semi-consistent exception, because pioneering games don't have the luxury to treat the hardware like shit.) You were happier using Office 2007 than Office 2019, and Photoshop CS than Adobe Creative Cloud or whatever.

There are rare exceptions to this sort of thing, but they are just that: rare. Is XenForo one of them?

I would rather keep the forum as it is and use the entirety of the cash to fund a better machine.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
The Codex doesnt need a better server - its fake news.

Posts CPU load graphs, and traffic charts and storage space. For a month.

The only thing that typically pushes a server are self hosted files eating traffic like no tomorrow.

fork

My only concern is this:

DarkUnderlord said:
We also want to migrate to the snappier XenForo 2 forum software which will mean a lot of work behind the scenes just to make everything look and work like it currently does (mostly) BUT UPGRADES YAY.

Why? "BUT UPGRADES YAY" is not an obviously positive thing. Most widely-used software today actually get worse with updates, not better. This is why nothing about computers feels discernibly faster after decades of hardware improvements, because newer software is slower and often times less secure. (Ironically, games remain the only semi-consistent exception, because pioneering games don't have the luxury to treat the hardware like shit.) You were happier using Office 2007 than Office 2019, and Photoshop CS than Adobe Creative Cloud or whatever.

There are rare exceptions to this sort of thing, but they are just that: rare. Is XenForo one of them?

I would rather keep the forum as it is and use the entirety of the cash to fund a better machine.

This.
Not a single forum or website profited from "upgrades" or UI redesigns. Not a single one. In fact, I quit using most of the www, because it becomes more and more unusable. Across the board.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My only concern is this:

DarkUnderlord said:

You're conflating apps with web apps. You do not want to be running out of date versions of the latter, especially with the Codex being well known and hated by other sections of the internet.

A lot of big security breaches are caused by out of date web apps.

I wouldn't put it past some cunt from ResetEra using a known exploit from some old version of XenForo to try to doxx everyone here (or failing that, disrupt the site).

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
My only concern is this:

Yes, XF is one of the exceptions. The primary reason we've stuck with v1 for so long here is because DU's installed a shitload of addons and we have some that were custom-coded for the Codex as well. Some of the addons that we're using aren't actually necessary any more in the current version of XF2 because they're part of the core now. Others will need to be recoded from scratch because XF2 was a complete rewrite. The style will need to be redone from scratch too. There are a lot more boring technicalities in play, but suffice it to say, for us moving from XF1 to XF2 will be nearly as much trouble as moving from XF to a completely different platform.

But it's worth it for a number of reasons; everything from performance to features and ongoing development. Security hasn't been an issue so far since I patch up any issues that arise immediately, but since XF1 hasn't been supported for years now it could become an issue at some point. Then there's also the fact that nobody is developing or upgrading XF1 addons any more, external integrations are getting broken because the core isn't being updated, etc.

The Codex doesnt need a better server - its fake news.

Posts CPU load graphs, and traffic charts and storage space. For a month.

The only thing that typically pushes a server are self hosted files eating traffic like no tomorrow.

That's actually true to an extent, we don't need a much better server right this moment. But we do need to move to a new one because certain aspects of the old one are EOL'd and it can't be upgraded any more. So the necessity of the migration is also an opportunity for me to do certain upgrades to account for future growth and to implement certain features that have been on my "would be nice to have" list for a long time now. Everybody's going to benefit from the new hardware and the extra features; end and back-end users alike.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Yes, XF is one of the exceptions. The primary reason we've stuck with v1 for so long here is because DU's installed a shitload of addons and we have some that were custom-coded for the Codex as well. Some of the addons that we're using aren't actually necessary any more in the current version of XF2 because they're part of the core now. Others will need to be recoded from scratch because XF2 was a complete rewrite. The style will need to be redone from scratch too. There are a lot more boring technicalities in play, but suffice it to say, for us moving from XF1 to XF2 will be nearly as much trouble as moving from XF to a completely different platform.

But it's worth it for a number of reasons; everything from performance to features and ongoing development. Security hasn't been an issue so far since I patch up any issues that arise immediately, but since XF1 hasn't been supported for years now it could become an issue at some point. Then there's also the fact that nobody is developing or upgrading XF1 addons any more, external integrations are getting broken because the core isn't being updated, etc.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how quickly we can expect the upgrade? I assume that there everyone in the Codex staff is only doing this as a hobby, so I'd assume that it'll take some time. Upgrading old software with lots of customizations is always a pain.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The server switch will be coming first. Depending on how much time I have to dedicate to this, I might start on it next week already or not too long after. After that's done and giving it a few more weeks to sort out all the kinks, we can then start looking at the migration to XF2. That's going to take longer overall as we'll need to hire people to redo the style and recode various addons like the gallery, recode the integration with the site, then test everything, etc. But the less critical issues can be sorted out after the upgrade to XF2, I expect that we'll just get the major things like the style, integration and crucial addons sorted out beforehand. Realistically, a few months at least. But yes, the actual time frame largely depends on how much free time the staff has on their hands to deal with this and that varies from one month to another.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I assumed that http->https upgrade is the only upgrade codex can expect in 10yrs

Testownia

I'll give you a 100$ if you make the guy who drew the art for Primordia to draw something for me.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The style will need to be redone from scratch too.
That seems like a big red flag. Part of what makes this site readable is that it has eschewed a lot of the NuWeb / Web 2.0-3.0 cancer like infinite scrolling and floaty, loose UI elements. Codex is tight and compact, like its constipated user base.

Is whoever designed the April 2015 style on board to faithfully re-develop it? Is there going to be an aesthetic redesign?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
As far as I remember, DU and myself just gradually recreated the style based on the old phpBB one when we switched to XF. I don't have the time to do that again this time around and I suspect neither does DU. So we'll probably just hire one of the XF stylers to duplicate the current one in XF2. This is the least of our problems, really.

SoupNazi

As far as I remember, DU and myself just gradually recreated the style based on the old phpBB one when we switched to XF. I don't have the time to do that again this time around and I suspect neither does DU. So we'll probably just hire one of the XF stylers to duplicate the current one in XF2. This is the least of our problems, really.
Your BG3 FAQ is extremely outdated. I have some serious doubts about your ability to use this money effectively if you can't keep a simple FAQ about the future Codex GOTY up to date.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It's true. Sadly, I only have so many hours at my disposal every day and I'm working on the Codex and DAC in addition to my own site right now so it's pretty hectic. That said, anyone is welcome to take up the challenge of updating it.

SoupNazi

It's true. Sadly, I only have so many hours at my disposal every day and I'm working on the Codex and DAC in addition to my own site right now so it's pretty hectic. That said, anyone is welcome to take up the challenge of updating it.
Nice of you to fess up to it, but how do we know our hard-earned shekels will be used properly if you're dividing your attention? You want people to donate the optimal amount (at least that's my assumption, given it's about 2 months of pay of a senior programmer), the community should be getting an optimal result. How can we expect that if you, the only technical-minded staff member, is spread thin between 3 online projects (and I assume you have RL shit going on as well, so even more than that)?

The fundraiser provides top quality dollar, the nation deserves TOP UPGRADES

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom