Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex was buck broken by gay bear. Ass all open, head empty.

Lhynn

Arcane
Large reactivity all falls flat when the player doesn't give a shit about the world or characters whatsoever
I didnt care about anyone in the entire dragon age franchise, but I still liked when the quests and world acknowledged my action. Its fucking retarded to think this is a valid point. The ability to affect the world with player actions is one of the biggest boons in any rpg, even if its a combatfag game.

I dropped my playthrough when I had the option to either join the bad guys in act 1 or help the druids and rapefugees
Or you could have helped neither, or you could have just helped the druids, or you could have murdered both sides. And im pretty certain there are some other permutations that I havent tried, like siding with the rapefugees and fucking up the druids.

Dogshit writing and worldbuilding thus renders the positives of reactivity null and void.
Like I explained in my first post, it simply does not. You do not need to personally care about anyone to care if a game acknowledges your actions or not. The technical achievements alone are the biggest leap forward for the entire genre in 20 years.

As for combat, I enjoyed the mechanics but hated the encounters. It's like Larian set out to waste my time with a plethora of easy fights that, however, take forever to finish.
The encounters were pretty fun. The fights are not easy, and an honor run will reveal this. As for the complain of fights taking a long time, theres very little I can say to that, other than the criticism is completely vapid and seems like it was written by a particularly retarded redditor.

I respect the individual parts of the game even if it doesn't work as a whole, hence the 5/10, but to claim it's deserving of a GOTY (albeit, granted, this year was pretty shit for RPGs) is crazy. If anything, it should be several places lower on the list.
You did not mention level design, which is incredible in act 1 and 2, and parts of act 3. You did not mention the character system, which offers a great variety of builds. Compared to the complete lack of builds in JA3 (A sequel thats objectively inferior to its predecesor) or CS (Where you put your points in character creation and this dictates how you do your entire playthrough very few limited choices acknowledged in a piece of text)

I am amazed at how idiotic everything youve written is, its the most low brow, retarded, biased little piece of criticism ive read of the game so far.

agris There you go.

I will grant you that companions are unlikable (Except perhaps the gith), but companions an rpg dont make, and the pozz is very limited, very optional, and has already been modded out for the most part.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
As in the title. For some time now, I've noticed that any discussion of bigger cRPGs released in the last couple of years(nearly a decade really) ends up with everyone proclaiming how shit they are and how they really can't match to masterpieces like KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins. Somehow, people happened to forget how the whole cRPG "market" looked like after the deserved death of Troika and move of Bioware towards console games.
I want to remind you the period between 2004 and 2014 and set it against 2014-2019 - yes, I'm giving a massive handicap to the newer releases.
So between January 2004 and January 2014 if you were on the market looking for something resembling the IE games/Fallout and I'll be very liberal. I only care about isometric point of view and tactical combat(RT or TB doesn't matter) and I'll be much more agnostic in the first period. Anyway enough talking. I filter out super small games and vogelware because Vogel releases a game yearly so it really evens out no matter what you do, we don't need more clutter to make this point.

In the first period we have:
NWN2 with the expacs
1st Expac
2nd Expac
1st Drakensang Game
2nd Drakensang game
Dragon Age 1
Dragon Age 2
Knights of the Chalice
Shadowrun Returns
Aarklash Legacy
Expeditions:Conquistador

And that's about it. As you can see I've included some games that I guess some of you would include as part of a sort of cRPG renaissance(the last 3 positions released in 2013) so the real stink isn't felt there. Let's go for the 2nd period.
Divinity: Original Sin
Wasteland 2
Underrail
The Age of Decadence
Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny
Divinity:OS2
Tower of Time
Torment:whaever
PoE2
Pathfinder Kangmaker

Now I did a lot to pad the releases in the earlier period, I hope you can see that. The latter one had games like Blackguards or Sword Coast Legends or Expeditions Vikings etc. but I've decided to be nice and not include it, had they been 2013 releases I would've counted them on previous list. What I want to say by this listing is that somehow, with heavy handicap the latter period produced much more of the kind of RPGs that Codex is generally interested in. Now obviously an argument about quality vs. quantity can be raised, but it's not like Drakensang is a high bar. What this listing isn't showing is that RPGs as a genre were certainly very alive in that period, many very era-defining games were released in that period. Ask any normie you want, he'll be able to list masterpieces such as Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, The Witcher(2?) yadda yadda. This is a period where all studios had major difficulties finding money for making anything that didn't have action combat, when everyone was proclaiming turn based combat as an artifact of a begone era etc. etc. There is a reason it's dubbed the decline and renaissance is also being postulated as coming at the end of it.

The few games that were released back then have built up some legendarily reputation while the latter titles(as well as those between the end of 2018 and today) are more likely to be derided and you have to be clinically insane. Dragon Age:Origins for instance is a game with 3 classes, where 2 of these classes play exactly the same and the game offers very limited amount of combat options, its combat system is based on cooldowns etc. etc. and yet it will get more praises for combat than Deadfire in spite of the fact that both from system, gameplay and design perspective it's just better at every single point of it. I won't go on about the claims that KOTOR had better combat than PoE2, because this is just Alzheimer tier

People pretend have somehow forgotten approximately 25 years of execs, journalists, analytics, developers etc. saying that turn based combat is dead. You can't sell turn based game. Then there comes Baldurs Gate 3, it takes 5E and implements it relatively faithfully(remember Sword Coast Legends - Hasbro execs probably thought that that was the way for videogame adaptations to go) implements a turn based combat system that maybe isn't a challenge for someone who ate his teeth at RPGs but then again very few games are. I know the kinds of people who NEVER play TB games and they've played this one and thought it's amazing. It is a proof that everything codex hivemind said since its inception was correct. What does Codex have to say about it then? You tell that yourself.

I am not great fan of Owlcat games, but aside from the fact that again, they've adapted Pathfinder PNP system relatively faitfully(apparently there's a huge stat bloat for enemies but I have no idea about Pathfinder) and to give them huge credit for something, they went for something that was always there in RPGs but was never realise and that was adding some degree of quasi-strategic overworld game. It's there because they've adapted preexisting modules that had these things in them, but that was always a direction that cRPG's could've expanded towards and that is worth mentioning already. What will they get on this forum though as of AD 2024? You've guessed it.
Hurka Durka it's because it's politics in my gaming
First of all, you are a disgusting, crazy leftists by the standard of 1200 AD Europe. I am a reactionary by the standards of 10000 BC when Sons of Tur fought Sons of Ari on the frostbound steppes of Hyperborea. We are not the same, there has been a lot of decline between me and you. On little bit more serious note this forum has shifted rightwards politically over the years - I've shifted too, far more than the average - and it's likely that it annoys me just like it annoys most of you(and trust me - more than most of you). Secondly as I've said in another thread this is sadly something you will have to live with because:
Modern videogame writers are people with literature degree from 4 years ago, and if you haven't been asleep for the last 100 years you know exactly what kind of person graduates with a degree in literature, fails as a writer for literature graduates, then fails as a genre fiction writer and then ends up writing for videogames or p&p RPG's - that person took all the racial/sexual agitation seriously, edit and expresses it with no subtlety end of edit there's no other way for them to survive university otherwise.
Now that being said a lot of the classics started having some subversive elements in them as soon as anything resembling full time writer showed up in them. Majority of devs were always liberal, you can almost bet they were atheists too. I think my fav example of this is Arcanum(terrible game btw), which, although it has some edgy content(Isle of Despair), frames industrialisation through the lens of at the very least a social democrat with orcs and half orcs being a racial allegory and so on. Unless you want to go mad or stop playing games and only come here to complain(in which case you're a bitch and should do something else with your life), then there really isn't any way around it than to just ignore writing all together and focus on the aspect where by all means the genre had recovered that is gameplay which is by all means the better out of the two.

The problem is that this wasn't a thing just couple of years ago, outside of general Pillars of Eternity well... scepticism after it mindbroke a bunch of people in here. However, while people complained about things like armour system in Divinity:OS2 you could still see they've enjoyed it, same went for pathfinder etc. You've had people just approaching all this like reasonable. So what happened that broke codex hivemind? I cannot imagine anything than a psychic effect of the bear sex marketing stunt for BG3. It must have caused you to materialise him during sleep and as his cock entered your orifices your minds escaped the dreamland to never come back. Convince me it's not the case because I don't see anything else, other than this place turning into circlejerk where we have a procession of generations crying old good new bad except in 2010 "old" was 1998 and in 2024 it was 2008. I don't believe in the latter so I'll stay with the psychic bear sex hypothesis.
Nice post
I also agree the negativity is cringe
Good games are to be enjoyed
Gremlins on this site have no joy any more
Especially that guy whisper
Respect to you!

HumanMech

Literate
Just going to throw this out there:

There is quite literally 0% chance BG3 will ever surpass skyrim in sales.

I have not played either game

Todd Howard wins again

Also this year, famous animator Miyazaki will shit on BG3, with just a DLC release for his critically acclaimed RPG Elden Ring. Everybody will forget about BG3 in an instant.

Miyazaki wins again. Without even trying.

hayao_miyazaki_ringer_illo_2.0.jpg

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
masterpieces like KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins. Somehow, people happened to forget how the whole cRPG "market" looked like after the deserved death of Troika
uh huh yeah okay cool man you know like dope and shit yeah man cool
>I was only pretending to be retarded

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Miyazaki is an elderly animator who makes video games in his spare time and casually trounces the Belgian troon. What a chad.
From hiding behind Todd to hiding behind casual action games like Elden Ring. What's next? Pokemon?

LMFAO, Op's point proven again. Codex completely buck broken.

I will be farming tears on this sh*thole for years to come!

swen.jpg

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Codexers: hates le popular thing

People who have supposedly been on this forum for years:

View attachment 47100

A reminder that codex opinion absolutely does not matter against widespread acclaim and financial success.

Also a reminder that codex opinion is considered prestigious partly because it does not bow to normie/pedestrian tastes.
In this case it's just retarded though, and I don't even like BG3.

It's retarded political garbage at least as bad as any you'll find at retardera.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
One of the reasons I love Arcanum. It was made in a time that could use "forbidden" ideas for fiction.

Do I believe there is a Jewish conspiracy? No.*

Do I believe that certain races should be treated differently or are inherently bad/lesser? No.

Do I enjoy Nazi iconography? No, but I don't really care about it either.

I DO enjoy fiction using "problematic" ideas to make interesting and unique worlds, however. We don't get stuff like that anymore. It's a shame that people have become unable to distinguish fantasy and reality to such a degree.

*Anyone with half a brain can see that there is a Global Elite out there that want to control the world to a degree (what degree is a matter of debate), and some of them ARE of jewish descent (such as Soros and his evil ilk). Plenty of non-jews involved with this as well, so calling it a "Jewish conspiracy" is fucking stupid beyond belief.
:bro:

tritosine2k

Erudite
masterpieces like KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins. Somehow, people happened to forget how the whole cRPG "market" looked like after the deserved death of Troika
"General RPG Discussion"

soulslop enjoyer go home

HumanMech

Literate
Miyazaki is an elderly animator who makes video games in his spare time and casually trounces the Belgian troon. What a chad.
From hiding behind Todd to hiding behind casual action games like Elden Ring. What's next? Pokemon?

swen.jpg

ROFLLMAO

Can't even win in total GOTY awards against an elderly animator. Always second.

NVLEz4p.png

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
"General RPG Discussion"

soulslop enjoyer go home
If you read that sentence and thought "Well, this guy might be on to something, I wonder what else he has to say :D"......well good luck with that.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

swen.jpg

ROFLLMAO

Can't even win in total GOTY awards against an elderly animator. Always second.

NVLEz4p.png
That list hasn't been updated brainlet; https://www.resetera.com/threads/20...season-tracking-and-discussion-thread.784544/

BG3 already at 279 awards now compared to Zelda's TOTK with 112.

Also BG3 would've easily won against Elden Ring, there was literally no competition in 2022 for Elden Ring.

But keep on coping, I love drinking your tears my buck broken friends :-D

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter

Bringing Pokemon into the discussion seems like a questionable move since the average BG3 player can't look at Snorlax without getting a boner.

Mortmal

Arcane

View attachment 47100

A reminder that codex opinion absolutely does not matter against widespread acclaim and financial success.

Also a reminder that codex opinion is considered prestigious partly because it does not bow to normie/pedestrian tastes.
The Codex prestigious things come from the devs of Bourgeoisie. You can find more about it in NMA archives. It was supposed to be a promising Fallout clone, but they ended up selling a crappy FPS with one of the lowest scores across the board ever. Nowadays, no one wants to be affiliated with it, except lone devs who have absolutely nothing to lose. Not like y... Oh, wait.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The point is, what people call "liberals" now are certainly not liberal and also not the "liberals" from before 20 years. Roguey trying to rope causlity between the two is as wrong as it is misguided. They have absolutely nothing in common with each other apart from the label that is a misnomer for the current group.
You have yet to actually say what is illiberal about Baldur's Gate 3/Larian.
The Idea that Gender exists is illiberal and also lies. The perceiver is the one responsible for what is wrongly perceived. Else there would not be such a thing as neo pronouns and "trans" people would not be offended by being correctly identified by their sex instead of their "gender" (that doesn't exist).
"illiberal?" "Neo pronouns?" Wtf? Is this shit just mutating even more? I have no fucking clue what either of those are.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
That list hasn't been updated brainlet; https://www.resetera.com/threads/20...season-tracking-and-discussion-thread.784544/

BG3 already at 279 awards now compared to Zelda's TOTK with 112.

Also BG3 would've easily won against Elden Ring, there was literally no competition in 2022 for Elden Ring.

But keep on coping, I love drinking your tears my buck broken friends :-D
In the Codex's Game of the Year rating for 2022, Elden Ring received an average of 4.03 with 191 votes, whereas in the 2023 rating Jagged Alliance 3 received an average of 3.99 with 157 votes. Which is to say, if Elden Ring had been released one year later, it would have pushed BG3 down to 3rd place, even after the Bayesian adjustment. Just a pity that Age of Incandescence Colony Ship wasn't quite able to accomplish that on its own.

17817.jpg

18000.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

View attachment 47100

The Codex prestigious things come from the devs of Bourgeoisie. You can find more about it in NMA archives. It was supposed to be a promising Fallout clone, but they ended up selling a crappy FPS with one of the lowest scores across the board ever. Nowadays, no one wants to be affiliated with it, except lone devs who have absolutely nothing to lose. Not like y... Oh, wait.

I feel like I need a lore dump here. You mean Afterfall? How is Codex's reputation connected with it? How am I affiliated with it?

Wut?

Mortmal

Arcane

View attachment 47100

I feel like I need a lore dump here. You mean Afterfall? How is Codex's reputation connected with it? How am I affiliated with it?

Wut?
Yes, that's the guy who called the Codex prestigious, and that became a meme here, but most forgot from where it came from. As for your reputation, well, being affiliated with the Codex is probably worse than leprosy for any media. So as a dev, you won't get advertisements anywhere, and streamers will hardly mention you if it's known you are a Codexer.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yes, that's the guy who called the Codex prestigious, and that became a meme here, but most forgot from where it came from. As for your reputation, well, being affiliated with the Codex is probably worse than leprosy for any media. So as a dev, you won't get advertisements anywhere, and streamers will hardly mention you if it's known you are a Codexer.
Oh, thanks for the info.

Also sir, I make porn games. I'm not getting any of that anyways.

1709248283722.png

Modron

Arcane
I thought the prestigious meme came from the codex getting bumped from some inxile or obsidian event for not being a prestigious site/magazine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom