Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:shittydog:

utDq6K9.jpg

Some brushes are yet to find appropriate textures. There's a small computer maze inspired by DM3 map (and partially by E1M2 of Doom), I was tempted to make a giant maze but I restrained myself as I realized the map is big enough already.

ZghYCHf.jpg

But it sure goes some places.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Kept HD version of Phantom 3D as a backup plan in case things start going downhill, might as well release it once the addon for DG is out.

Spent last evening reading posts on how people used to ward off evil spirits as means to gather inspiration for new mechanics.
D3J2DZSWkAA7Azt.jpg:orig

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Started a separate thread for my game, Magic & Mercenaries: The Curse of Eternal Darkness, so I'll likely move discussions and screenshots about it there. Before I go, though, here's a video I created showing off a demo of the engine:

Warning: The video is an hour long. Also, I am not a professional narrator. And, for some reason, it seems to be in 360p at the moment (I'm told it will go to 1080p once YouTube stops processing it in the background).

Molina

Savant
56242522_2589477457748277_7644973153302609920_n.png

All graphic assets are mine.
I use dialogue system for unity (Pixel Crusher) and Inventory Pro, because fuck C#.

There is Attribute (Str, Dex.. and so on, not defined), Skill (Not defined) and Knowledge (You earn it by exploration, discussion ...).
I try to plagiarize Morrowind, so, same battle system, with a miss system because fuck the world (but I add a miss animation !).
I would like to add a magic system as Arcanum. But, not now, I'm not good enough with inventory pro (which can manage active skill).

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
After talking to aweigh about built-in dungeon mapping functions I couldn't resist the urge to prototype one real quick.

I'm yet to add edge markings to denote walls, thin walls, forcefields, doors, etc, but this could be a useful tool to avoid alt-tabbing between the game and Grid Cartographer (or distracting yourself to scribble things down on graph paper).

TrvTb51.png

CryptRat, Grauken rejoice.

pat

Arcane
Developer
My pure Roguelike Spirit has been further tainted by letting players have a choice of 50 graphical avatars

PflFvDl.png

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My pure Roguelike Spirit has been further tainted by letting players have a choice of 50 graphical avatars

PflFvDl.png

Unlockable characters are a big part of roguelikes. They let the player feel like there has been some progress even though you still have to start at the beginning every time.

pat

Arcane
Developer
Did you make these? What is your process?
Nah, I didn’t make them. They’re pretty old public domain assets which I don’t think have been used all that frequently. It’s a coincidence that they fit almost perfectly with what I wanted for this game - a pseudo gold box goofy vibe.

pat

Arcane
Developer
Those icons look a lot like the icons Dan Autrey created for use with Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures.
I’m curious but couldn’t find these ones - do you have a link for them? I definitely considered using FRUA graphics at one stage

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is months old, I guess many of you already saw this and I think this was posted on other thread, but anyway, a website that lets you navigate 3D maps of old console games, mainly Nintendo ones: https://noclip.website/

Very educational, personally, for my Quake maps :cool:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
After spending a day grumbling 'fuck Python' and 'fuck Blender' and 'fuuuck I accidentally put a semicolon at the end of the line' I'm finally victorious.

Now I can generate lines from Blender data, which bypasses the need to write my own line editor and since the new line rendering method is almost 20 times faster than the old one, I might be able to invest more into enemy and environment graphics.
D47vE57X4AMNowV.png:large

Ysaye

Arbiter
I get the feeling I'll be working on this after DG2.

D497sy8XoAAsH3Q.png:large

Please don't post things like that Zwanzig-zwoelf! - it only gives me and others who yearn for a return to Wizardry hope where there is none.... better off just ruining it now by setting it alight with in-game purchases or feeding it the worms of of the procedurally generated map mould....

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I get the feeling I'll be working on this after DG2.

D497sy8XoAAsH3Q.png:large

Please don't post things like that Zwanzig-zwoelf! - it only gives me and others who yearn for a return to Wizardry hope where there is none.... better off just ruining it now by setting it alight with in-game purchases or feeding it the worms of of the procedurally generated map mould....
Come on lah, don't you want to see how a faithful spiritual successor to Wizardry causes butthurt to 14 years old players who came in expecting romances and C&C?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom