Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship Combat Beta Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
i am not sure about combat for now. maybe it's just the small arena, but when inside small arena you barely hit from one side to another with a rifle with THC about same as when you make sniper shot from roof across whole level in JA, xcom, silent storm or even fallout tactics it doesn't feel right. with max ap you can potentially get you can reach ranged and flurry them which feels strange.

In later levels you will hit far more constantly, especially if enemies are not in cover.
it's funny because it means that just begining combat right in front of them and unleashing turn 1 fury so there won't be much enemy left to kill you next turn is a completely valid tactic. machete gang in its full power. https://i.imgur.com/9oq7p3j.png

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
If you quicksave during combat and reload the save you can free roam before attacking and it glitches the fuck out the game(melee enemy wouldn't attack and my char got stuck to the ground)

O3hf5YB.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i fired it as well.

Darkness

1. Unless you are doing something with the darkness, bright the screen up VD. Like the default brightness is too low and I have to increase the gamma and brightness in-game and on my monitor to see stuff.

1.11 / 1.11 in-game settings did it for me, didn't try lower but it might work as well.

End combat
I'm not sure how you end the combat even if i did it twice, maybe clicking on the panel ?
It's far from obvious, i was expecting a yellow area to step on or something.

Start combat button
Not very intuitive (had to search it for a while), would be better if it was between the chat-box and the other part of the UI.

Enemy dying animation

It's probably a place-holder, i find it quite slow, like 10 times too slow.

Sound effects
Not sure it's planned but Fallout gun's sound effects would really improve the formula.

Combat
Only played the first two battles, first one is really harder than the second, he killed my first build twice (ranged/charisma/leader epic perk), even shot me twice in a row from behind cover ...

Melee build
Early on melee + berserk mode is superior but the way the attributes work, melee builds have a disadvantage, even one and a half.
Ranged builds don't need STR (as far as i can tell) while melee builds need dex/per as much as the ranged ones.
Worse, later on, with some defenses and decent skills, ranged will probably need less CON.

Shouldn't PER only affect firearms accuracy and STR close combat one ?

It's very promising, i like it so far.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, dropping Effects in quality just to high banish all the darkness lol.
But if you return it then to Ultra, darkness doesn't come back, only when you reload the game, so it seems for some settings you need to reload the game but it doesnt mentioned in game yet.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
If you quicksave during combat ...
It's a bug. No saving in combat.

Combat
Only played the first two battles, first one is really harder than the second, he killed my first build twice (ranged/charisma/leader epic perk), even shot me twice in a row from behind cover ...
The first 3 fights are easy (a built-in tutorial), so let's not dwell on it.

Melee build
Early on melee + berserk mode is superior but the way the attributes work, melee builds have a disadvantage, even one and a half.
Ranged builds don't need STR (as far as i can tell) while melee builds need dex/per as much as the ranged ones.
STR affects armor handling, so that's a big advantage to your melee brute.

Worse, later on, with some defenses and decent skills, ranged will probably need less CON.
Beating the demo with a low-CON ranger isn't as easy as it sounds.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Just an advice: make exits and entrances highlightable when you hover the mouse pointer over it or when pressing tab.

Shadenuat

Arcane
first fight which seems difficult is 5 guys imo (with 4 CHA anyway), due to all the reaction attacks - it is punishing to move around without GITS shield. it also shows that reaction, imo, is out of control - dude runs past me, gets machete in the face; runs further, I change machete for rifle and shot him, he dies. :M

i sacrificed the most well built companion (all endurance, melee, shotguns, and no ap whatsoever to use any of that) to them for the win :shittydog:

Tigranes

Arcane
first fight which seems difficult is 5 guys imo (with 4 CHA anyway), due to all the reaction attacks - it is punishing to move around without GITS shield. it also shows that reaction, imo, is out of control - dude runs past me, gets machete in the face; runs further, I change machete for rifle and shot him, he dies. :M

i sacrificed the most well built companion (all endurance, melee, shotguns, and no ap whatsoever to use any of that) to them for the win :shittydog:

That is why all of you must EMBRACE THE GLORY OF THE REACTION BUILD.

#1. Pistol + every reaction feat & stat imaginable.
#2. Equip pistol in both hands. Reaction uses both your equipped weapons.
#3. Sit down.
#4. Shoot all 12 bullets from both pistols during reaction round.
#5. Reload on your turn.
#6. Sit down.

It is glorious. Glorious. Until they smoke grenade you.

Shadenuat

Arcane
or 10 dex perk anime naruto machetes u in the face.

but yeah minmaxing seems the way to go, and it should only get more minmaxy in the real game, because you can't distribute points on level ups to even out your build somehow, and the gap between your and enemy skills would mean that you never would want to use any weapon but one you always use.
but that is just a theory. an rpg game theory.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Lonewolf and Evasion seem to be to weak (or SMGs are weak). My maxed evasion SMG gunner cant win against trio with Solomon Clayton.

Will the DLC feature items color and brightness mod?

Removing the glow turns the item screen literally into greyscale... But with just some cyan pull and vibrance push we get something not terrible...
vs

Tigranes

Arcane
or 10 dex perk anime naruto machetes u in the face.

but yeah minmaxing seems the way to go, and it should only get more minmaxy in the real game, because you can't distribute points on level ups to even out your build somehow, and the gap between your and enemy skills would mean that you never would want to use any weapon but one you always use.
but that is just a theory. an rpg game theory.

In the combat beta, once you got used to it, hybrids were definitely viable - you could easily end up with a high enough secondary weapon skill that you could reasonably be a Melee+Shotgun or whatever. Who knows how the curve will be in the full game.

We also don't know what it's like to roll a full party whose build you can control extensively over time.

Remember, just like AOD, everybody needs quite a few battles to really get into the system and assess what is hard/easy/OP/etc. That was true for CSG beta testers even if they had been AOD/DR veterans.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Congrats, VD. You finally made it to public demo, well done. the game is amazing and is shaping up so well. Sadly I didn't get to bugtest the beta as much as I would've liked due to my obligations at home with my family atm, but it's been a blast with what time I did have to play it.

I can't fucking wait to play release version. If you ever want feedback on things other than the combat, im down.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Some comments:

- We are improving the general lighting in the combat area, characters will stand out more. You can also enable outlines for combat.
- We will be improving the TAB highlighting of items.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
VD from you closed beta tester, has anybody finished the game solo? Is it viable? With how reaction is feels like you would die after taking 1 action.

Tigranes

Arcane
VD from you closed beta tester, has anybody finished the game solo? Is it viable? With how reaction is feels like you would die after taking 1 action.

Yes, many times by multiple folks. It just feels impossible when you first play, just like it seemed impossible to win AOD battles with hybrids when we all first tried it.

I wasn't joking above. Reaction is a hugely powerful tool for you and if you use it right, much more for you than the enemy. As you figure out how the reaction system works, you can also mitigate its effects on your party. After all, everyone's coming in and moving around and shooting like they do in games without an extensive reaction system.

E.g. you can only suffer reactions once per movement and once per shot. So if you move in a turn by doing 3 separate move orders, that's going to be trouble. You can also visually check out the weapons of the enemies to know when they have bullets left, roughly. You also can use enemy gun ranges to estimate where you can move without triggering someone's reactions.

Melee characters can get huge wins with reaction - e.g. smoke grenade and then end your turn standing next to 3 people, and they will get fucked with your sledgehammer just trying to leave. Or they have to take out their shitty knife and go at it, but then they'll miss and invite a reaction anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom