Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jrpgfan

Erudite
With the most recent updates what is the ballpark estimate on how much content is currently available to experience? Traditionally, I pirate most games that I'm not absolutely convinced I will love and then later pay for a proper copy of it if I find myself actually enjoying it, though being that I was a massive fan of AoD (embrace the jank) my level of certainty regarding the eventual full release isn't the issue. What's been holding me back from purchasing it thus far is exclusively due to the early-access status. I'm typically not interested in playing a game that I'm not going to be able to finish, especially if what is available only amount to a few hours of gameplay or if I will need to start the game from scratch with every update due to save incompatibilities. So, how much enjoyment will I get out of this if I buy the game today and do saves break between updates? I really don't want to get burned out by being forced to play the opening 6 hours over and over again such that when the game does realize its full release I'll have no interest in slogging through things that I've already done 100 times to get to the new stuff.

It already has quite a bit of content. The biggest update which supposedly is the Habitat has already been released, and according to the steam page, the game is 75% done content-wise. There are only 3 locations left.

It's been a while since the last time I've played AoD but I wouldn't be surprised if it's already longer than a single AoD campaign.

notpl

Arbiter
With the most recent updates what is the ballpark estimate on how much content is currently available to experience? Traditionally, I pirate most games that I'm not absolutely convinced I will love and then later pay for a proper copy of it if I find myself actually enjoying it, though being that I was a massive fan of AoD (embrace the jank) my level of certainty regarding the eventual full release isn't the issue. What's been holding me back from purchasing it thus far is exclusively due to the early-access status. I'm typically not interested in playing a game that I'm not going to be able to finish, especially if what is available only amount to a few hours of gameplay or if I will need to start the game from scratch with every update due to save incompatibilities. So, how much enjoyment will I get out of this if I buy the game today and do saves break between updates? I really don't want to get burned out by being forced to play the opening 6 hours over and over again such that when the game does realize its full release I'll have no interest in slogging through things that I've already done 100 times to get to the new stuff.
Why not just wait another few months for the full release? You say straight up you don't want to play an early-access game (I don't either) and then just keep trying to argue yourself into it for some reason.

jackofshadows

Magister
Unexpected mortality and all that I presume. I'd say nothing wrong with groping subj a little bit before the release just to figure out what kind of char do you wanna play later on.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
How do I get an early audience with the Brotherhood in the Factory? Is that the way towards arranging an alliance with the Pit?

Skdursh

Savant
Why not just wait another few months for the full release? You say straight up you don't want to play an early-access game (I don't either) and then just keep trying to argue yourself into it for some reason.
It's more that I don't want to play an early-access game where I will need to replay the same sections over and over again depending on whether or not saves break between updates. Still haven't got a clear answer on that one.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
How do I get an early audience with the Brotherhood in the Factory? Is that the way towards arranging an alliance with the Pit?
Jonas doesn't like the Brotherhood and wants an alliance with the people in Shuttle Bay.
Maybe if you fuck that one up he'll consider it but I haven't tested that.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's more that I don't want to play an early-access game where I will need to replay the same sections over and over again depending on whether or not saves break between updates. Still haven't got a clear answer on that one.

They don't break, you can just continue to new content as it is added.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Saves don't fully break between updates, but some fixes are not retroactive, or a system progression can change between them. For example, we sold some weapons in the Habitat at some point, but we moved those further down the line and added new ones in there. If you already bought them, you get to keep them, and the stores won't have the new ones.

So you won't be forced to replay the same sections, but some things might not be fully right.

Mauman

Learned
Patches might break a build though.

(I'm still bitter about the changes to the con heroic perk)

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
NXFhG4W.jpg
Could she be MC's mother? Her earliest memory dates back twenty-something years, she likely lived in the Pit (how long has it been a settlement btw? more than twenty years?). Very likely a coincidence but an intriguing thought nonetheless.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Just got this in the sale for £19 odd and I'm excited to play it. Steam says they're aiming to come out of EA in July.. if that's accurate I'll wait until it's finished. Do you guys believe that date is achievable based on the state of the game now?

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Musings, as i haven't touched this yet, no idea what's going on; obviously haven't been reading on the various spoilers here either.

When i first played AoD, i was underwhelmed due to the CYOA style, which while i was expecting given what was mentioned, i.. still found subpar. Then i got real butthurt after multiple deaths right at the start, so i remember coming back here (previous account) and bitching about it some.
Then i gave it another shot and i fucking loved it.
Still not sure if it was Vince doing the writing, but i found it so surprisingly good; better yet, it was so impeccably integrated with the actual (as much of it as there was) game and setting, i remember posting here how exponentially better an IT game would have been if money wasn't an issue.
They did an amazing job with what little they had.

* DR's a different thing and for obvious reasons relating to financial necessity.

Am curious to see if the above holds in this one, if the vastly superior unreal has been taken advantage of; and if not obvious, i mean in ways beyond the game/trait mechanics.
Wouldn't blame them if it hasn't, gotta have akshun gallore to go places, but.. their forte lies elsewhere.
I think.

Also, while it's been years since last that Glen Cook quote adorned their website, i'm still waiting for the relevantly themed RPG.
Because that kind of game, story will make or break it.
That, or something 15th/16th century, Inquisition-based.
* tough to market with today's faggot offendotrons, but i think they have it in them for both. Won't lie, while i know and grasp Vince's theme here [Colony Ship], what little i can tell from visuals tells me there's a bit too much emphasis on pew pewing; shame as again, their forte lies elsehwere. Did i say 'i think'; just me.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Musings, as i haven't touched this yet, no idea what's going on; obviously haven't been reading on the various spoilers here either.

When i first played AoD, i was underwhelmed due to the CYOA style, which while i was expecting given what was mentioned, i.. still found subpar. Then i got real butthurt after multiple deaths right at the start, so i remember coming back here (previous account) and bitching about it some.
Then i gave it another shot and i fucking loved it.
Still not sure if it was Vince doing the writing, but i found it so surprisingly good; better yet, it was so impeccably integrated with the actual (as much of it as there was) game and setting, i remember posting here how exponentially better an IT game would have been if money wasn't an issue.
They did an amazing job with what little they had.

* DR's a different thing and for obvious reasons relating to financial necessity.

Am curious to see if the above holds in this one, if the vastly superior unreal has been taken advantage of; and if not obvious, i mean in ways beyond the game/trait mechanics.
Wouldn't blame them if it hasn't, gotta have akshun gallore to go places, but.. their forte lies elsewhere.
I think.

Also, while it's been years since last that Glen Cook quote adorned their website, i'm still waiting for the relevantly themed RPG.
Because that kind of game, story will make or break it.
That, or something 15th/16th century, Inquisition-based.
* tough to market with today's faggot offendotrons, but i think they have it in them for both. Won't lie, while i know and grasp Vince's theme here [Colony Ship], what little i can tell from visuals tells me there's a bit too much emphasis on pew pewing; shame as again, their forte lies elsehwere. Did i say 'i think'; just me.
AoD has a good combat system that is actually challenging, unlike most (non-roguelike) contemporary crpgs. I am hoping colony ship is full of combat

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The levels are full of so much intricate detail. Like the inaccessible floors below the ground level of Heart or the mostly-empty Habitat levels. Imagine some that effort was spent on adding things to them. This tavern area is pining for 2-3 flavor NPCs and 2 quest NPCs.

JX73J1O.jpg

It's such a goddamn shame there's nothing happening there. Think Smoldering Corpse Bar, Witcher 1 taverns or VtMB vibes.

Last edited:

Takamori

Learned
VD or Elhoim the death animation still on the plans or sadly scrapped due to budget and time constraints?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom