Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Vince you asshole. Hero difficulty my ass, I just got nailed by a gang of 4.

Going to have to get some levels and come back.
What's your build? You should not be having issues with Hero Mode, haha.

notpl

Arbiter
Speaking of pointless skills, what on earth is the deal with Stealth? It requires at least the prowler and ghost feats before it even becomes viable, plus the skill itself and those feats don't amount to shit if you haven't also been keeping up with lockpicking and steal on the same guy. Which on its own isn't even that crazy - a thief should take the thief skills, right? - except that every stealth mission also has its own unforeseen requirements once you get in there. Didn't take electronics or computers on your infiltrator PC? Whoops, you're locked out of the stealth resolution for this act's finale! Imagine if you had to invest 2-3 mandatory tax feats before your charisma character was able to persuade anyone of anything, and at the climax of each act the NPCs randomly quizzed your face character about Biotech or Pistols and you failed if you hadn't also been keeping up with those skills.

Lhynn

Arcane
Vince you asshole. Hero difficulty my ass, I just got nailed by a gang of 4.

Going to have to get some levels and come back.
What's your build? You should not be having issues with Hero Mode, haha.
Going with a melee evasion build. Nothing that felt like itd be powerful, considering its a futuristic setting. Im level 2 and in a mission where I can sneak behind a gang and attack by surprise.
I have the lone wolf perk, and at 3 I plan to get the warrior perk, that should tide me over nicely.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also it doesn't make sense that the people who would be capable of building a generation ship would devolve into a shit society.
It also doesn't make sense that the people who went to the moon would devolve into a shit society few generations later but here we are.
To be fair, technological advances have increased since. In Colony, I get the feeling it has stagnated, and nobody knows how to fix certain things.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Going with a melee evasion build.
I don't recommend it. Not a fan of evasion based builds unless you're solo. The skill requires a lot of work to hit the thresholds where you can reliably survive with the stat; said thresholds you probably won't be hitting in a party or duo since teammates will absorb precious evasion LP which you need. Even then, you still need supplementary sources to get the most out of the stat, such as smokies, gadgets, stims, and feats with conditional effects - like Artful Dodger. Additionally, in some specific late game encounters you will still struggle against high accuracy enemies. I suggest rolling with the true and tested Juggernaut build. Very easy to play with. The general theme is stacking as much DR as you can with True Grit, Juggernaut, Subbdermal Armor, Heavy Armor, and Cellular Regeneration mutation. You can reach some silly levels of DR.

For the record, what does easier difficulty setting do?
Rf61XTg.png

It basically breaks the game's balance in favor of giving players an easier time through the combat.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Really dislike how they have sectored the levels,feels like a PeasantStation 2 game. A bunch of small room sections on a big level. Should have been nice if you could click and just go there on the level once you had cleared way trough by using skill checks.

Another negative is that the inventory doesn't have a sorting by type,the armour screen is pain to use.

Also the writing is minimalists and weird at times. It is clear that they have nice grand ideas that are original but can't flesh it out.

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't recommend it. Not a fan of evasion based builds unless you're solo. The skill requires a lot of work to hit the thresholds where you can reliably survive with the stat; said thresholds you probably won't be hitting in a party or duo since teammates will absorb precious evasion LP which you need. Even then, you still need supplementary sources to get the most out of the stat, such as smokies, gadgets, stims, and feats with conditional effects - like Artful Dodger. Additionally, in some specific late game encounters you will still struggle against high accuracy enemies. I suggest rolling with the true and tested Juggernaut build. Very easy to play with. The general theme is stacking as much DR as you can with True Grit, Juggernaut, Subbdermal Armor, Heavy Armor, and Cellular Regeneration mutation. You can reach some silly levels of DR.

Rf61XTg.png

It basically breaks the game's balance in favor of giving players an easier time through the combat.
Is this me or If I want to make a combat character I should just be fighting instead of bothering with talky.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Rf61XTg.png

Is this me or If I want to make a combat character I should just be fighting instead of bothering with talky.
Isn't that obvious with learn-by-doing system?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Um, try only moving your eyes?

good idea I'll try it!

I recently switched from 17 to 24 inch monitor, maybe I ain't fully adapted yet/maybe I'm too close whatever but still why stare at the corner of the screen when you can just stare to the right lol, its all dedicated dialogue area anyway, just a feedback
Tell me about it, mine is 32".
"Why do you play on 21 and 16:10," they said?
"Buy a large enough monitor with 'proper' 16:9, it'll be fun," they said?
...even after 2 years, I am sometimes scared to enter the room with this thing on. I tell you that. Not to mention this new ability to move just my eyes I had to acquire and am still not much used to.

Anyway, I think I'll forgive this game anything. Even if it turns out to be somewhat too simple with only the beginning promising a reasonable degree of Fallout-ish complexity.
It's just that sometimes, you run the game, you only see the menus, hear the unobtrusive, simple-but-elegant music, click the mouse a few times, and you know that this is it.

notpl

Arbiter

good idea I'll try it!

I recently switched from 17 to 24 inch monitor, maybe I ain't fully adapted yet/maybe I'm too close whatever but still why stare at the corner of the screen when you can just stare to the right lol, its all dedicated dialogue area anyway, just a feedback
...even after 2 years, I am sometimes scared to enter the room with this thing on. I tell you that. Not to mention this new ability to move just my eyes I had to acquire and am still not much used to.

Anyway, I think I'll forgive this game anything. Even if it turns out to be somewhat too simple with only the beginning promising a reasonable degree of Fallout-ish complexity.
It's just that sometimes, you run the game, you only see the menus, hear the unobtrusive, simple-but-elegant music, click the mouse a few times, and you know that this is it.
What on earth kind of rose-tinted crack are you smoking if you think either of iron tower studios' games have a "reasonable degree of Fallout-ish complexity"? Both AoD and CS blow their ancestors out of the water in build variety and branching/reactivity.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

good idea I'll try it!

What on earth kind of rose-tinted crack are you smoking if you think either of iron tower studios' games have a "reasonable degree of Fallout-ish complexity"? Both AoD and CS blow their ancestors out of the water in build variety and C&C.
You are right.

Then again, I wrote *..even if it turns out...*
I was merely pointing to the fact, I don't know much about the game without the rose-tinted crack kind of effect the game had on me the moment I started it.

Sòren

Arcane
For the Hanson / Matheson / Sheffield thing -

I helped the spy escape, and then got a random teleport to talk to Sheffield, but without the speech skills necessary to gee him up. Is that the only chance to get further with the Traitor quest, after which you simply have no more leads & give up on it?

you can leave without asking about mole and return later, if you don't have the necessary speech skills at the moment.

but yeah, if you never do...i guess that quest ends here.

Lemming42

Arcane
The more I interact with the stealth system the more I like it. I think it's a superb way of making stealth a viable character build in a way that it never was in the likes of Fallout. And I think these hand-designed encounters that lock you into a specific type of turn-based stealth gameplay are far better than the freeform realtime approach of, say, Jagged Alliance 3 (where stealth trivialises the entire game).

Obviously pretty barebones and could do with a lot of work, and it's got the same issue as many other mechanics in AoD/CS in that it only happens when the devs decide it should happen rather than being a reliably-available option, but this is a great idea that future RPGs should build on. It rewards exploration too, since you typically have to find a stealth route. CS maps are pretty small (which is not a problem) but you can imagine how this system might work in a game with much larger and more nonlinear maps.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Yep, that's the nature of learn as you do system. In my opinion it's not as flexible as Age of Decadence. I found AoD far more smoother with how you can bank SPs then spend them whenever you need to pass a check. In Colony Ship you basically pick a skill and commit to it; unless you're a high INT build that can afford to specialize into multiple things. Basically you're going to miss out on checks by nature of how it works. The trade off though with the system is that it's less taxing for those who don't want to bank SPs and plan around skill checks - you just tag and use it whenever it pops up. However, Colony Ship at least gives you the opportunity to bump a skill or two with tokens and the ability to go back to an area. There's also companions too where you can turn them into utility monkeys. Personally I just tag at least two civics on Faythe then two civics on main character so we can cover as many checks as we come across; lockpicks, biotech, computers, and electronics.

Üstad

Arcane
Evasion is hit or miss, it thrives with feat stacking+high dex and gets better than armor skill. A melee player most likely use those feats to other stuff so it's better to pick armor as you say. Welcome back by the way.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Evasion is hit or miss,
It used to be a silly, silly, build in the early days of EA. Get Mastermind, high Int, stack all the evasion feats, grind out evasion LP on easy encounters; and boom you become Neo the dodge monk. I'm glad it was brought down because as much fun as it was to roll a build like that, fighting against some of the high evasive enemies Elhoim created wasn't really fun.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep, that's the nature of learn as you do system. In my opinion it's not as flexible as Age of Decadence. I found AoD far more smoother with how you can bank SPs then spend them whenever you need to pass a check. In Colony Ship you basically pick a skill and commit to it; unless you're a high INT build that can afford to specialize into multiple things. Basically you're going to miss out on checks by nature of how it works. The trade off though with the system is that it's less taxing for those who don't want to bank SPs and plan around skill checks - you just tag and use it whenever it pops up. However, Colony Ship at least gives you the opportunity to bump a skill or two with tokens and the ability to go back to an area. There's also companions too where you can turn them into utility monkeys. Personally I just tag at least two civics on Faythe then two civics on main character so we can cover as many checks as we come across; lockpicks, biotech, computers, and electronics.

I'm always goign to play with 1 or 2 max, but I imagine it's easy enough for most people to bring along a dedicated skill monkey who can cover all the science & thieving skills. Contrary to AOD's original principle that you can't be good at everything and must make ends meet with limited resources, CS gets much closer to other modern CRPGs here by virtue of the party.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Oh Christ almighty that music theme in Habitat...combination of spaghetti western, industrial ambient and old-school electro....wow, JUST WOW. Cant stop listening, hats off to the composer. Although EVERYONE on the team deserve a round of applause!! :excellent:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I left my first charisma skill monkey run end of habi and I have soon catched up with murderhobo solo. Managed to do all fights (actually not sure maybe missed couple because of skill checks) so far wth solo char some of em I could not do with full party first playthrough.

3 of em took over 10+ tries
3 worms + frogs, magic frogs + normal frogs, smiley
some of consumables are pretty broken

Dodge is indeed pretty awful it works well vs weaker enemies that you have no problems killing anyway. Think the play would just be use the most heaviest armor with high DR vs most encounters without caring about penalty but would need to test it further only used that strategy in couple of fights.

cool game probably finish both playthroughs in couple of days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom