Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Oh Christ almighty that music theme in Habitat...combination of spaghetti western, industrial ambient and old-school electro....wow, JUST WOW. Cant stop listening, hats off to the composer.

This is really good shit.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Damn. Look at this Chance encounter, bros. Shits so clutch, ahaha. I got to kill this bastard so I can have the power to save the fair maiden, Faythe!
UB21K6m.png

Technomancer

Liturgist
Also any way to increase armor handeling outside buffing strength and/or picking the armor feat.
Installing spine implant and later upgrading it with armor handling chip. Getting hit to increase the armor skill or finding token to upload the knowledge to the brain.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>go for the law and order type
>Protectors faction are actually collectivist assholes
>check out the self-proclaimed freedom party of the Brotherhood
>they're literally Soviets with political commissars

Guess I'll have to check out the Church next and hope they're not dicks...

Takamori

Learned
Ah a small feedback regarding Braxton's Hud, I had there getting dust because thought it was a regular Hud. If possible change the color of it to yellow, red or green anything that call attention.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Here we go again. I'm taking this bastard down frontal assault style:
ombx4a1.png

Best waifu is going to get her combat training! Or so god help me. Getting Faythe up to scratch in early game is like figuring out puzzle pieces to fit on board. A big part of my early game pathing is preparing Faythe for combat as fast as I can. Which means I avoid all the easy encounters and instead opt to fight two of the toughest encounters in early game, back to back, so I can get Faythe and start farming her combat LPs. The great thing though is that once you get her going she basically becomes a power house - thanks to her innate learning bonuses and the amazing Assassin feat.

I don't think AoD formula works for this game, the setting is just too bland and boring to justify building the game around replayability. In AoD the world was full of shit that you couldn't wait to explore on your next playthrough, and figuring out through multiple playthrough how to achieve some really cool things like getting to the Abyss or making the airship fly, was insanely rewarding. Here I just miss the excitement and feeling of wonder. As I said, the game is not bad, but it just lacks the things that made AoD great.

I really hope if Iron Tower survives, they'll either go back to AoD setting for the next game, or create something completely new. Colony Ship one just ain't it.
This. I bought CS mainly because I hope future projects will be more similar to AoD. CS's setting is boring compared to AoD and I don't feel as immersed. There is no wonder of exploration or mystique, at least so far. Sure, you also began as a nameless man in AoD, but the backgrounds you picked went a long way to establish your character. I actually felt like I belonged there. Meanwhile, in CS, I am just some random retard living in a low-income housing environment. Everyone gives me quests for no fucking reason. Why does Braxton or Jonas rely on me for their grand fucking plans? In AoD, you showed your skills first and then people took interest in you, be it for combat prowess or knowledge.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think there is no perfect solution. The current one forces me to live with my build and choices, albeit at the expense of heavy metagaming. A percentage-based solution would let me get what I want more often, but then I'd just be savescumming. I prefer the former, as it has more impact on keeping me playing the game instead of the latter.
The solution is, I think, to have fail states that feel narratively satisfying and encourage the player to live with their failures - even reward the player for their failures, to some extent, by giving them new content. In that way, the percentage-based checks work because the game will remain enjoyable whether or not the player succeeds a check.

The ultimate example I always think of is getting captured in Mariposa base in Fallout. You have to fuck up to get put in that cell in the first place, but when you're in the cell, you'll keep playing because the whole escape scenario is great fun and narratively interesting, perhaps even moreso than doing it the "professional" way and never getting captured. Players who succeed all their skill checks at Mariposa will have a great time infiltrating and destroying the base, but players who fail at everything will have an equally great time playing through the escape-the-cell scenario and having to reclaim their equipment and talk their way past the prison guards.

Or even better yet, fuck up at Necropolis, get arrested and brought to Mariposa, somehow escape and manage to blow up the place despite being severly underleveled. One of my favourite gaming memories ever.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Meanwhile, in CS, I am just some random retard living in a low-income housing environment. Everyone gives me quests for no fucking reason. Why does Braxton or Jonas rely on me for their grand fucking plans?
That's a good point now that I think about it. Vault Dweller Why does Braxton give quests to a random person? Jonas makes sense since you grew up at Pit and know him, and he knows you.

Humanophage

Arcane
Here is my build for the first playthrough. It's a swift persuasive shotgunner. Goes first to debuff everyone for Evans. Building Jed as a melee fighter, it's really annoying that his initiative is so bad though. Not yet sure what to do with Faythe, probably pistols as she's too brittle for close combat. Unlike Evans/Jed, she has all the utility skills so I'd have to keep her.

dtg8EBR.png

Pity that Sergeant + Captain don't stack. It made sense that you'd have a leader and his main henchman. Jed's Cha is really pointless that way.

One weird UI thing is that it's impossible to sort the interface by price. Why? There's a lot of junk.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Not yet sure what to do with Faythe, probably pistols as she's too brittle for close combat. Unlike Evans/Jed, she has all the utility skills so I'd have to keep her.

dtg8EBR.png
Show Faythe build. I can give pointers if you don't mind. Though in a full party she's going be very weak since combat LP will be split between everyone, depriving her of essential LPs for defensive skills. One build I really love on her, and it works on all setups, is the Rifle/Initiative build. Basically she acts first in turn order with high initiative from Fast Draw, Quick Fingers, thus allowing her to get to safety or quickly kill an enemy that is second to her in turn order; also since Rifles are a strong weapon class she has lots of flexibility in terms of damage.

Humanophage

Arcane
Not yet sure what to do with Faythe, probably pistols as she's too brittle for close combat. Unlike Evans/Jed, she has all the utility skills so I'd have to keep her.

dtg8EBR.png
Show Faythe build. I can give pointers if you don't mind. Though in a full party she's going be very weak since combat LP will be split between everyone, depriving her of essential LPs for defensive skills. One build I really love on her, and it works on all setups, is the Rifle/Initiative build. Basically she acts first in turn order with high initiative from Fast Draw, Quick Fingers, thus allowing her to get to safety or quickly kill an enemy that is second to her in turn order; also since Rifles are a strong weapon class she has lots of flexibility in terms of damage.
There's no build yet, I didn't allocate any of her tags except critical strike and thief as feat. Are pistols no good? Evans is already my main rifleman and I wanted a bit of diversity. It seemed that she'd be able to emerge from stealth next to an enemy before combat, so range wouldn't matter as much (as she'd strike and run away).

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Are pistols no good?
Pistols are solid. Their innate critical chance bonus from the Pistolero feat stacks with Faythe's Assassin feat. You can reach some crazy damage with it if you build around it. I believe Faythe has the highest potential for Critical Damage. One tag in CS then another tag in Pistols and she's solid. Pick up the feat Critical Thinker too. It's just, well, Rifles are really strong. A good burst shot from a rifle can one tap enemies. Quaffing down an aggro stim and being able to do two burst shots in one turn is ridiculous as it allows you to take out at least two enemies in one turn.

Anyways you do have a point about diversifying weapon selection since you'll be going through ammo fast with rifles.

Takamori

Learned
Something I really liked was the implementation of general consumables and energy weapons. It definitely feels like I'm taking a tactical decision regarding the encounter I'm about to face in a aggressive playthrough.
I'm at the factory right now so far enjoying a whole lot.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Aw man. This is why I love Iron Tower's stylistic writing. Just read this, doesn't this make you laugh? I love this flavorful writing. It was great in Age of Decadence, especially with those little pieces of lore about "magical artifacts" you'd find. It's awesome how Colony Ship retains that entertaining style. It's just so fun to read.
dprCCxv.png

Herumor

Scholar
Huh, tried going for the landing the ship ending, but after talking with the Great Mother about shutting down the engines, I get teleported to habitat and speaking to my previously chosen faction and that just pushes me into the ending where ship stays in orbit under the control of said faction.

I feel like I missed something here. Or is it a bug?

notpl

Arbiter
Evasion is hit or miss,
It used to be a silly, silly, build in the early days of EA. Get Mastermind, high Int, stack all the evasion feats, grind out evasion LP on easy encounters; and boom you become Neo the dodge monk. I'm glad it was brought down because as much fun as it was to roll a build like that, fighting against some of the high evasive enemies Elhoim created wasn't really fun.
I see how it is. Because psychos in the EA exploited the skill system and grinded their evasion skill to 10 in chapter 1 and then complained that evasion was overpowered, it got nerfed into total uselessness if you play normally. The dungeon crawl stone soup school of game design.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Here is my build for the first playthrough. It's a swift persuasive shotgunner. Goes first to debuff everyone for Evans. Building Jed as a melee fighter, it's really annoying that his initiative is so bad though. Not yet sure what to do with Faythe, probably pistols as she's too brittle for close combat. Unlike Evans/Jed, she has all the utility skills so I'd have to keep her.

dtg8EBR.png

Pity that Sergeant + Captain don't stack. It made sense that you'd have a leader and his main henchman. Jed's Cha is really pointless that way.

One weird UI thing is that it's impossible to sort the interface by price. Why? There's a lot of junk.
I have a slight golden patina AFTER 3 months on summer sun. These people are inside for whole year. WTF is with theirs skin?

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck sake, is everyone using the same profile picture in this shit?

Vault Dweller is there a way to put custom ones in the game?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You better stay cool and wear your shades.
Or else futuristic Miltiades and his thugs will show you their blades.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am torn between the church and the authority. But it looks like the authorities are trumptard kind of kuks that want to return to the good old times of worthless leaders that delivered the fuck up. If the church offers me a good jihad authoritarian rule, i am with them. The brotherhood got a death sentence the moment i saw the muh liberty shit. Not in the mood for screeching comunist liberals.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Because psychos in the EA exploited the skill system and grinded their evasion skill to 10 in chapter 1 and then complained that evasion was overpowered, it got nerfed into total uselessness if you play normally.
Wrong departments. I'm just an unpaid toilet flusher. Send all feedback about gameplay to Elhoim

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom