Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

He's right, my first character was a blades user and I used the Johnny Reb all the way to getting the Viper from Shadow. I don't even remember the Warblade, must've been a very late game weapon.

No reason to use heavier blades with higher AP cost if you get worse penetration coupled with slightly higher base damage.

xuerebx

Erudite
Finally beat the game, took me 37 hours. Overall it's a good game (but to me not as memorable as AoD). I think the last chapter or so was a bit underwhelming - I kept max'ing my equipment but no grand fight came by - probably due to my game choices? I have a few questions for those who paid more attention to the in-game lore than me:

Why did the mutiny erupt in the first place? Is it because of a difference in ideologies showcased in the Church/Protectors/Brotherhood etc?

I liked the twist that they were already in Proxima's orbit! My end-game was that the 2/3 of the factions accepted to unite, I went down to Proxima, but there's no information about what came to be on the surface. I gave the machine to the monks - although they ended up more authoritarian than I anticipated.

I would guess other decisions would leave to variations to this ending - but is there a totally different ending somewhere? Happy to be spoiled now.

Popot

Augur
Finally beat the game, took me 37 hours. Overall it's a good game (but to me not as memorable as AoD). I think the last chapter or so was a bit underwhelming - I kept max'ing my equipment but no grand fight came by - probably due to my game choices? I have a few questions for those who paid more attention to the in-game lore than me:

Why did the mutiny erupt in the first place? Is it because of a difference in ideologies showcased in the Church/Protectors/Brotherhood etc?

I liked the twist that they were already in Proxima's orbit! My end-game was that the 2/3 of the factions accepted to unite, I went down to Proxima, but there's no information about what came to be on the surface. I gave the machine to the monks - although they ended up more authoritarian than I anticipated.

I would guess other decisions would leave to variations to this ending - but is there a totally different ending somewhere? Happy to be spoiled now.
There are 2 other endings: one where you turn the ship around and fight several monks as consequence; the other where you drop by yourself to the planet with the landing pod located in the last level of Mission Control, telling everyone else on the ship to fuck themselves.

From what I remember the mutiny happened simply because the ship command grew more and more authoritarian over the years. I can't recall other reasons.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Why did the mutiny erupt in the first place?
Because the Ship authority was supposedly running things too tightly, not allowing much in the way of personal freedom. So the Mutiny = pretty much just the Brotherhood original ideology. Not really a spoiler, more like the initial exposition?

one where you turn the ship around and fight several monks as consequence
This I believe could count as the final fight. It's arguably the hardest fight in the game.

What I wanna know is why haven't the writers addressed the question of gravity at all. Certain parts of the game are relatively hard sci-fi, but this issue is curiously not explained or even mentioned. In the book, gravity is properly working. I absolutely understand why they couldn't do "proper" gravity but at least a bullshit technobabble explanation would suffice.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
The ship isn't spinning for pseudogravity?
I suppose it is, at least since it's mentioned somewhere that it's a tube in shape. But even then, not all decks should have equal gravity. I guess if you argue that all the decks that can be visited in the game are all located along the ship's s outer rim... but then you have the Heart - which, by definition, is supposed to be located in the center. It should be close to weightlessness in there.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Right. The fact is, you're a normie cuck who has no business with niche RPGs whatsoever so again, your opinion is worth absolutely nothing. Your attraction to this type of games is motivated only by virtue of growing on Fallout. Face it already.

Fallout is the best RPG ever made. Cry about that if you want stanislav lol.

Also I thought underrail was fantastic, the deep caverns still sucked ass.
I know that you're lying, basically. I'll explain why. UR is inspired by Fallout. But it's decided to delve more into combat and exploration facets, Styg says it himself on the store page. So Deep Caverns is the pinnacle of the game, by design. Yes, many people have found it frustrating because they couldn't figure out the core mechanic and much else but again - they've ended up there by chance. CSG also delves deeply on combat mostly compared to its inspiration but you haven't been able to value that since you've played it with party and almost on easy level. So, in the end, you wasn't impressed with the game's story or whatever. That's not the point of it and never was. The meat of the game is combat and various experiments with it and also with the stealth system. Which is great but is fucking grand when compared again, with its inspirational one, from the good old Fallout. But again, you aren't able to appreciate that.
If we're to value AoD or Underrail for their Fallout heritage, then it doesn't make much sense to give them a free pass on the basis of having good combat, because Fallout's combat was simple fun.
If we're valuing the Fallout angle then we have to judge them by exploration, skill use, immersive setting, and writing. Underrail is exceptional and extremely underrated on all of those (at rare points it lets the word count flow and makes it clear that it's also Planescape-inspired).

In contrast it sounds like AoD is mediocre on these aspects, though I haven't played it because I don't support shitting up the genre with gratuitous 3D.

I've played Underrail through on the hardest difficulty around 4 times, and there's a lot of fun to be had there, but it's actually the best storyfag RPG I have ever played, if you're looking for an emphasis on an immersive and very richly developed original setting (Underrail's playable plot is kind of deranged and only makes sense if the PC was mind-controlled to accept every insanely dangerous mission he was offered). It feels like the best of Jeff Vogel's writing for Avernum and Geneforge. Original, very well fleshed out, no-nonsense in style, but capable of grand dramatic moments. I don't care if Deep Caverns was intended to be the pinnacle of the game, it's tedious because there are too many respawning enemies. I only enjoy DC on replays because I skip everything not needed to win the game while stealthing past almost all combat. I respect the experiment that was tried, but it didn't really land, and the subsequently added Abyssal Station, Ice Tower, and Compound are all very intriguing locations that are at least as good for providing a mysterious adventure without overstaying their welcome. For gameplay, the Institute of Tchort's varied quests are arguably the real peak of the game.

I'm just posting to reject the Fallout-centric and combat-centric views of things, even though I enjoy the combat and other mechanics (enouigh to show up to tchort with a bunch of rare crafted medicines and other tryhard stuff), and enjoy Fallout 1/2 (enough to have played Resurrection and Nevada fangames). Ultimately the point of the RPG genre is the immersion in a strange world IMO.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron

There are 2 other endings: one where you turn the ship around and fight several monks as consequence; the other where you drop by yourself to the planet with the landing pod located in the last level of Mission Control, telling everyone else on the ship to fuck themselves.

From what I remember the mutiny happened simply because the ship command grew more and more authoritarian over the years. I can't recall other reasons.
There's also the ending where you land the entire ship immediately. But that one is hard to get, sort of like the God ending from AoD.

And then there’s the endings where you side with each faction instead of the monks. These have a lot more combat, and also an optional extra hard final fight that was added recently. The monk ending is the only one you can get with a fully non-combat character.
There should be hard saves you can go back to too to try for the other ones.

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks! Yeah I have some saves I can use to change the outcome, but I don't feel like going through the end game again just to see slightly different endings. The one you've just mentioned though is neat.

Would you need all factions to agree to unite with the monks to get it?

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Thanks! Yeah I have some saves I can use to change the outcome, but I don't feel like going through the end game again just to see slightly different endings. The one you've just mentioned though is neat.

Would you need all factions to agree to unite with the monks to get it?
Landing the ship immediately goes against what the monks want, since they think there's greater chance of success when you wait and do what they want. Or they realize landing the ship makes them obsolete, depending on who you ask.

You should try going through at least once more with the habitat faction, just to try the pretty tough combats in those questlines. Unless you don't like the combat I guess.
Use the Zeta negotiation save.
The non-monk endings also at least feel a little more like your choices during the game mattered...

You can only get the ship landing ending if you have the bridge officer chip, killed the Great Mother in chapter 3 and pass a pretty tough speech check.
See link below

PlanHex
Yo how do I land the entire ship? I thought I went for a completionist playthrough and I didn't even realize it was possible
More details here: https://colonyship.fandom.com/wiki/Quest_for_Freedom

xuerebx

Erudite
Ah - I couldn't kill her so it wouldn't be possible for me (also I enjoy the combat a lot, but my build in my first play through was sub par). I'll try the other tough combat fights though to see how it goes!

jackofshadows

Magister
I don't care if Deep Caverns was intended to be the pinnacle of the game, it's tedious because there are too many respawning enemies.
My guess is that people skip a lot of dialogues at that point hence are missing the warning about chortlings from Six. That's it. The player just... isn't suppose to fight them. And then it begins.
I'm just posting to reject the Fallout-centric and combat-centric views of things, even though I enjoy the combat and other mechanics (enouigh to show up to tchort with a bunch of rare crafted medicines and other tryhard stuff), and enjoy Fallout 1/2 (enough to have played Resurrection and Nevada fangames). Ultimately the point of the RPG genre is the immersion in a strange world IMO.
Why are you can't enjoy CSG's combat then? It's 3d also but the camera is locked now. Or that because of the niggers?

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I don't care if Deep Caverns was intended to be the pinnacle of the game, it's tedious because there are too many respawning enemies.
My guess is that people skip a lot of dialogues at that point hence are missing the warning about chortlings from Six. That's it. The player just... isn't suppose to fight them. And then it begins.
Why are you can't enjoy CSG's combat then? It's 3d also but the camera is locked now. Or that because of the niggers?
Nah, Underrail has niggers all over the place too sadly, so it's not that. Maybe locked 3D is tolerable.
Tochortlings are far from the only respawning enemies.

I enjoyed CS combat a lot when fighting other humans, specially in places where you could use cover and other tactical advantages (Courthouse, Outskirts gang, Regulators vs. Jonas in both scenarios). I enjoyed fighting psykers/creepers/mindworms a lot less, particularly as a solo character, where my experience was mostly trial and error about what grenade to use first or what gadget to bring. These fights make a lot more sense with a group, where you can choose to sacrifice some party members for others within the "time limit", that is, before you get overwhelmed with status effects. Even then, I think such such fights are only good for variety, they don't have as much substance as the human fights.

The lack of friendly fire, or being able to effectively use your enemies as cover like in AoD really limit the combat's potential, imo.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

Well, for me I enjoyed the DC from a story perspective. I liked reading about the origin of the faceless and the hallow earth incident. I didn't have a problem with the mutagen puzzle, although finding all the mutagens was boring and annoying.

My problems with the DC;

The scavanger hunt, having to go back and forth from the power plant to redirect power to find pieces of the gate mechanism, ect

https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Labyrinth <- this was by far the worst part of the game, running through that maze fighting retard worms
https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mushroom_Forest <- the 2nd worst part of the game, the shitty mushroom maze

You're an autistic bald loser(who needs to pay for sex lol), so you probably don't mind having your time wasted. It probably took me ~10 hours to beat the DC. Probably 30-40% was good content. The other 50-60% was a complete waste of my time.

So despite me really enjoying Underrail. I consider it one of the best rpgs I have ever played. Yes, DC was fucking lame and could have been much better.

notpl

Arbiter
Deep Caverns is a bit long for what it is, it's true, and much of the challenge there is based around the idea of wasting your time. It should have been a tense 2-3 hour climax with some truly bizarre, alien, challenging enemies rather than the longer, almost survival horror schtick it went for. Respect him for trying, but I don't think the result was good.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Underail is an amazing game and is a timeless classic at this point. One of the best Post ap and turn based games in existence BUT...... for the life of me I cant understand why people would defend DC section. It is way way too bloated, boring and long. Best way is too finish your playthrough just before it starts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom