Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

thesecret1

Arcane
Wait, is there an official post that ITS are closing down? Please link!
Vince mentioned several times ITT that CS sales weren't good enough to fund another game, so they'll just keep improving upon it for now, and then probably close the studio

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Does Iron Tower have the chops to stand next to these other devs? Absolutely. In fact, I'd say Colony Ship has the best combat out of anything I've just mentioned, and I don't need to sing AoD's praises here. But they aren't a fundamentally different species: there's nothing about any of ITS's games to justify some higher cost for success than all these other developers I've named who seem to be flourishing.
I'm sure you're aware that the # of reviews is a good indicator of sales. A game with 9k reviews like Atom sold a lot better than a game with 3k reviews like AoD. And 17k reviews (like Hero's Adventure and Wandering Sword) represent a massive success that few indies get to experience. Even Pillars of Eternity has 'only' 15k reviews. Of course, they all pale in comparison with Stoneshard (25k reviews), but that's a different story.

Had AoD sold enough to get 9k reviews, you'd playing AoD 2 now. Unfortunately, it didn't and that's all there's to it.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Wait, is there an official post that ITS are closing down? Please link!
Vince mentioned several times ITT that CS sales weren't good enough to fund another game, so they'll just keep improving upon it for now, and then probably close the studio
That's sad. I didn't like CS on balance (first half was decent), but it was definitely better than much of the dogshit that gets released on repeat by the bigger studios.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Well it's a subjective assessment, just like anyone's preferences in games. Personally I appreciated this game more than a lot of the higher budget stuff I've played in recent years, albeit I didn't think it was a world beater itself.

I'm sure you're aware that the # of reviews is a good indicator of sales. A game with 9k reviews like Atom sold a lot better than a game with 3k reviews like AoD. And 17k reviews (like Hero's Adventure and Wandering Sword) represent a massive success that few indies get to experience. Even Pillars of Eternity has 'only' 15k reviews. Of course, they all pale in comparison with Stoneshard (25k reviews), but that's a different story.

Had AoD sold enough to get 9k reviews, you'd playing AoD 2 now. Unfortunately, it didn't and that's all there's to it.

Don't let your dreams die. Ask yourself, what would Miltiades do?

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

Don't let your dreams die. Ask yourself, what would Miltiades do?

He would say 'fuck you son of a bitch I'm so fucking edgy and mad I'm going to get really fucking mad and fucking do something to you that you will fucking regret'

Average writing in ITS games, lol.

Cope if you want bitches, ITS is fucking cooked.

Dungeon rats was their best game.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
colon shit turned out to be shit and more people are waking up to this conclusion after an embarassingly long period of intense copium huffing. us people who hated the original age of decadence knew perfectly well the jig is up, and it's good to hear ITS is not going to develop anything in the foreseeable future. maybe by some strike of serendipity the devs set out to play some fucking role-playing RPG games instead and learn the difference between them and a janky CYOA with combat glued to it, because right now their content belongs in the latter category, along with Sorcery!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Does Iron Tower have the chops to stand next to these other devs? Absolutely. In fact, I'd say Colony Ship has the best combat out of anything I've just mentioned, and I don't need to sing AoD's praises here. But they aren't a fundamentally different species: there's nothing about any of ITS's games to justify some higher cost for success than all these other developers I've named who seem to be flourishing.

I had never heard or those games before so I checked them out. Turns out they're Chinese language games with almost all reviews either being in Chinese or clearly machine translated reviews from Chinese. The few legitimate reviews I found didn't seem so positive but who knows?

Also, I have to wonder how much the Chinese audience is paying for the games, how profitable and successful are they really?

Either way, the meta for getting a very large number of reviews on steam clearly is to be a Chinese studio making a decent looking game (is it good? Who knows) in Chinese.

thesecret1

Arcane
Also, I have to wonder how much the Chinese audience is paying for the games, how profitable and successful are they really?
Very. But it's rare for a western game to find success on chinese market, and vice versa. The tastes just differ too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom