Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Shitposter
You're talking about something different to me
No. It's the same thing. Good game make studios survived not closed. That's an objective fact, not subjective assessment.

IQ of a chimp
This is not grindr, stop sucking cock.

Litmanen

Educated
No. It's the same thing. Good game make studios survived not closed. That's an objective fact, not subjective assessment.
Troika.

And, by your profile pic, you should know it. But I guess you are too butthurt and plainly stupid to understand what you are actually saying at implying.

Shitposter
And, by your profile pic, you should know it. But I guess you are too butthurt and plainly stupid to understand what you are actually saying at implying.
YES.

Do you think I'm going to relent? I love Arcanum but it is objectively a bad game. Subjectively speaking, it's a great game. Not many people remember Arcanum, its remains forgotten in obscurity.

It turned out that turn-based tactical combat that's a bit on the difficult side was actually quite popular, while strict C&C and limited exploration have very few fans. There's also plenty of choice for TB RPGs in 2023/4, which wasn't true in 2015.

Best case scenario they would've had another critical success, which means they would probably have made enough money to fund another game, just barely; a misfire means they have to go under. It's sad, but I think Vince knew the game he was playing. I hope they don't give up from making games.

notpl

Arbiter
Does Iron Tower have the chops to stand next to these other devs? Absolutely. In fact, I'd say Colony Ship has the best combat out of anything I've just mentioned, and I don't need to sing AoD's praises here. But they aren't a fundamentally different species: there's nothing about any of ITS's games to justify some higher cost for success than all these other developers I've named who seem to be flourishing.
I'm sure you're aware that the # of reviews is a good indicator of sales. A game with 9k reviews like Atom sold a lot better than a game with 3k reviews like AoD. And 17k reviews (like Hero's Adventure and Wandering Sword) represent a massive success that few indies get to experience. Even Pillars of Eternity has 'only' 15k reviews. Of course, they all pale in comparison with Stoneshard (25k reviews), but that's a different story.

Had AoD sold enough to get 9k reviews, you'd playing AoD 2 now. Unfortunately, it didn't and that's all there's to it.
I had never heard or those games before so I checked them out. Turns out they're Chinese language games with almost all reviews either being in Chinese or clearly machine translated reviews from Chinese. The few legitimate reviews I found didn't seem so positive but who knows?

Also, I have to wonder how much the Chinese audience is paying for the games, how profitable and successful are they really?

Either way, the meta for getting a very large number of reviews on steam clearly is to be a Chinese studio making a decent looking game (is it good? Who knows) in Chinese.
Me. I know. The guy who actually plays RPGs instead of complaining that they don't exist: I know that the games in question are good.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm sure you're aware that the # of reviews is a good indicator of sales. A game with 9k reviews like Atom sold a lot better than a game with 3k reviews like AoD. And 17k reviews (like Hero's Adventure and Wandering Sword) represent a massive success that few indies get to experience. Even Pillars of Eternity has 'only' 15k reviews. Of course, they all pale in comparison with Stoneshard (25k reviews), but that's a different story.

Had AoD sold enough to get 9k reviews, you'd playing AoD 2 now. Unfortunately, it didn't and that's all there's to it.

Don't let your dreams die. Ask yourself, what would Miltiades do?
Probably make a kickstarter/patreon, then pocket all the money and flee to thailand, spending his days directing tourists to organ harvesters.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
It turned out that turn-based tactical combat that's a bit on the difficult side was actually quite popular, while strict C&C and limited exploration have very few fans. There's also plenty of choice for TB RPGs in 2023/4, which wasn't true in 2015.

Best case scenario they would've had another critical success, which means they would probably have made enough money to fund another game, just barely; a misfire means they have to go under. It's sad, but I think Vince knew the game he was playing. I hope they don't give up from making games.

For that to happen the combat in colony ship would need to be not garbage.

Lhynn

Arcane
And 17k reviews (like Hero's Adventure and Wandering Sword) represent a massive success that few indies get to experience.
Those two owe a lot of it to being Chinese, that market is massive and your game doesnt really appeal to them. But also they are pretty great games on their own right.
Just really well polished, with a lot of charm and very interesting systems to interact with.

Modron

Arcane
He's not wrong all the newfag edgelords coming out of the woodworks in recent years all have the same schtick and it's become increasingly tiresome. Now we probably don't need to block every new poster, just throw all the bad apples in the prosperium for a year when they repeat offend. 'tards would probably start correcting their behavior after seeing 3-4 dozen users winding up there.

Camel

Scholar
He's not wrong all the newfag edgelords coming out of the woodworks in recent years all have the same schtick and it's become increasingly tiresome. Now we probably don't need to block every new poster, just throw all the bad apples in the prosperium for a year when they repeat offend. 'tards would probably start correcting their behavior after seeing 3-4 dozen users winding up there.
>Being on the Codex more than 10 years.
>Expecting moderators do something.
giphy.gif

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

Just ignore the punchface retard. He probably didn't even play colony ship he's just here to steal my glory.

Beastro

Arcane
Does Iron Tower have the chops to stand next to these other devs? Absolutely. In fact, I'd say Colony Ship has the best combat out of anything I've just mentioned, and I don't need to sing AoD's praises here. But they aren't a fundamentally different species: there's nothing about any of ITS's games to justify some higher cost for success than all these other developers I've named who seem to be flourishing.

Who owns the IP exactly?

Could you start anew and make a sequel without having to buy it back first?

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
YES.

Do you think I'm going to relent? I love Arcanum but it is objectively a bad game. Subjectively speaking, it's a great game. Not many people remember Arcanum, its remains forgotten in obscurity.
Subjectively speaking, you're a tryhard edgelord. Objectivly, you're a rather clueless individual.

Holding sales numbers or prominence equal to quality - by that logic all the box office hits are great movies.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
Subjectively speaking, you're a tryhard edgelord. Objectivly, you're a rather clueless individual.

Holding sales numbers or prominence equal to quality - by that logic all the box office hits are great movies.

Punch is a dumass, but we aren't necessarily comparing ITS sales to big AAA games. We're comparing it to similar budget indies. Underrail, Atom ect ect.

Shitposter
Holding sales numbers or prominence equal to quality
Its carcasses left rotting in obscurity.

Sales does reflect certain degree of quality. It's the only quantifiable metric closest to the truth. Objectively, Colony Ship is a flop because it failed to sustained their developer, same thing to Arcanum.

Punch is a dumass
Retardson, the metric I use implied not only sales number, but it capability to sustain its developer. It failed to do that.

Now, would you kindly go back to the hole you came from and back trying to make your family tree a circle.

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sales does reflect certain degree of quality. It's the only quantifiable metric closest to the truth. Objectively, Colony Ship is a flop because it failed to sustained their developer, same thing to Arcanum.
Sales reflect how well a product matches the preferences of the consumers. Sure, in terms of consumer surplus the product with the most sales yields the best outcome.

But to claim that those products - say, e.g. top charting hit songs in music - possess some better quality than the rest, would be akin to arguing that every single person's preferences are equally valid and good.

No one at Codex believes that.

Shitposter
But to claim that those products - say, e.g. top charting hit songs in music - possess some better quality than the rest, would be akin to arguing that every single person's preferences are equally valid and good.
In capitalistic world, the market is the God waiting to be pleased. Profits, is equal to quality, most of the time.

Ultimately, in this world, It doesn't matter if a product do something well in eye of niche, what matter is that it does a thing good (or good enough) for a lot more people. Thus, more sales reflect the product capability to not only to meet the preferences, but to satisfy those preferences. And more importantly, the sales number are enough to sustain its developer.

Colony Ship not only unable to generate enough profits from the specific market they targeted (controlled variable), they're unable to pull enough interest from general public (uncontrolled variable). It's not on any "Best gaming chart" (akin to hit songs), meaning there isn't any qualities that satisfy general public preferences that matters.

Arcanum, failed on profit angle but considered a cult classic, there is an argument to be made that Arcanum is better in some specific way that no modern cRPG has managed to re-created. All of these discussion would be subjective.

Objectively it's a failure. Not many people remembered it. But it might still be remembered on certain demographic's zeitgeist, such as cRPG player.

You should know by now that I do not care what chudexers believes.

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
In capitalistic world, the market is the God waiting to be pleased. Profits, is equal to quality, most of the time.

Ultimately, in this world, It doesn't matter if a product do something well in eye of niche, what matter is that it does a thing good (or good enough) for a lot more people. Thus, more sales reflect the product capability to not only to meet the preferences, but to satisfy those preferences. And more importantly, the sales number are enough to sustain its developer.

Colony Ship not only unable to generate enough profits from the specific market they targeted (controlled variable), they're unable to pull enough interest from general public (uncontrolled variable). It's not on any "Best gaming chart" (akin to hit songs), meaning there isn't any qualities that satisfy general public preferences that matters.

Arcanum, failed on profit angle but considered a cult classic, there is an argument to be made that Arcanum is better in some specific way that no modern cRPG has managed to re-created. All of these discussion would be subjective.

Objectively it's a failure. Not many people remembered it. But it might still be remembered on certain demographic's zeitgeist, such as cRPG player.

What the fuck do you do here then? This is a niche site. No one here cares what mass market prefers, except you, apparently.

You should know by now that I do not care what chudexers believes.

See above.

(*) to Meet and to satisfy preferences are synonymous. That sentence adds nothing to the argument.

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
Ok, so you took the wrong door. Should choose the gender neutral room next time, 'ally'.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how a true member of the larger audience behaves.

kangaxx

Arbiter

Sales reflect how well a product matches the preferences of the consumers. Sure, in terms of consumer surplus the product with the most sales yields the best outcome.

It reflects consumer preferences PLUS how well the product is shoved in consumers' faces. The last bit is really important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom