Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

jackofshadows

Magister
There are plenty of Ok games that were completely crucified on Codex for a lot less and never been given a second chance (Encased, Black Geyser, InSomnia). CS still got voted incredibly high (way too high in my opinion) during GOTY voting. As for the amount of people who worked on the game well its been in production for a very long time and had EA for years as well. Also there are some other huge and impressive RPG made by even fewer people. (Underail, Skald, Serpents of Staglands).

This is true. The existence of underrail shows how incompetent ITS really is. Can't wait for infusion.

I was excited to play CS, it ended up being one of my most disappointing games ever. Instead of fixing the problems AOD had, they made them worse and created new problems.
11.png
22.png

Right. The fact is, you're a normie cuck who has no business with niche RPGs whatsoever so again, your opinion is worth absolutely nothing. Your attraction to this type of games is motivated only by virtue of growing on Fallout. Face it already.

Last edited:

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
Right. The fact is, you're a normie cuck who has no business with niche RPGs whatsoever so again, your opinion is worth absolutely nothing. Your attraction to this type of games is motivated only by virtue of growing on Fallout. Face it already.

Fallout is the best RPG ever made. Cry about that if you want stanislav lol.

Also I thought underrail was fantastic, the deep caverns still sucked ass.

jackofshadows

Magister

I know that you're lying, basically. I'll explain why. UR is inspired by Fallout. But it's decided to delve more into combat and exploration facets, Styg says it himself on the store page. So Deep Caverns is the pinnacle of the game, by design. Yes, many people have found it frustrating because they couldn't figure out the core mechanic and much else but again - they've ended up there by chance. CSG also delves deeply on combat mostly compared to its inspiration but you haven't been able to value that since you've played it with party and almost on easy level. So, in the end, you wasn't impressed with the game's story or whatever. That's not the point of it and never was. The meat of the game is combat and various experiments with it and also with the stealth system. Which is great but is fucking grand when compared again, with its inspirational one, from the good old Fallout. But again, you aren't able to appreciate that.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

I know that you're lying, basically. I'll explain why. UR is inspired by Fallout. But it's decided to delve more into combat and exploration facets, Styg says it himself on the store page. So Deep Caverns is the pinnacle of the game, by design. Yes, many people have found it frustrating because they couldn't figure out the core mechanic and much else but again - they've ended up there by chance. CSG also delves deeply on combat mostly compared to its inspiration but you haven't been able to value that since you've played it with party and almost on easy level. So, in the end, you wasn't impressed with the game's story or whatever. That's not the point of it and never was. The meat of the game is combat and various experiments with it and also with the stealth system. Which is great but is fucking grand when compared again, with its inspirational one, from the good old Fallout. But again, you aren't able to appreciate that.

Format your walls of text better, I barely understood any of that besides you being a crybaby lol.

Me beating tchort :')

So blades are still just strictly inferior to blunt, huh? I was sort of expecting that to change somewhat between three years ago and now, but the exact same issues still appear to be present. Blunt does more damage, penetrates armor better, and inflicts stronger debuffs on enemies.

Apparently so. For reference, some guy completed a solo bladed run with a low STR hybrid build and still did all the tough fights.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/648410/discussions/0/3954784199556942748/?ctp=4#c3975051362888935575

He still says it would've been much easier with blunt.

After finishing the game on baby mode with a party of 3, I'm trying a Dodge This! solo pistol run. 4 STR, 8 CON, 6 DEX, 10 PER, 8 INT, 4 CHA. I hesitated between 8 for CON or DEX, but 10 HP and a subdermal implant seemed like a better deal than 2 AP and some evasion.

I'm like the terminator with trash enemies, but I hit the wall fast with the last Ch 1 Courthouse fight and Hargrave. I could simply skip these, but it's causing me considerable butthurt. The energy pistol you get at the start is a god send, but I need to get a better regular pistol ASAP. I had to take Big Game Hunter to do any damage.

Some more observations:

- I said the game is mostly balanced when it comes to combat, but the civic skills aren't. You can pass all the social checks on Ch. 1 by putting a single point in Streetwise and then snowballing it. The only balance comes from losing on combat xp in some cases, but otherwise seems like a no brainer. You'll be forced to spend a tag later on to get all the best outcomes, but that's still only one tag out of three skills. This is just like Fallout where you can tag Speech and be a master rhetorician even if you dumped CHA.
- Another bad example from Fallout is that the most charismatic characters will be the best at combat. Yes, I know this makes sense; in real life, it's even more about how many people you can get to fight for you. However, you lose the ability to play the weakling grifter that you could in AoD. I like that CHA affects character bonding and interactions, but please, stop tying it to companion numbers. People already see companions as an implicit difficulty slider, just embrace it.
- Computers/Electronics seem basically indispensable, even more than Lore in AoD. Has anyone ever played without these?

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
After finishing the game on baby mode with a party of 3, I'm trying a Dodge This! solo pistol run. 4 STR, 8 CON, 6 DEX, 10 PER, 8 INT, 4 CHA. I hesitated between 8 for CON or DEX, but 10 HP and a subdermal implant seemed like a better deal than 2 AP and some evasion.
did full hybrid with pistol. perhaps you would like it more? 10 con max implants, afraid its hard requirement.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
(...) Computers/Electronics seem basically indispensable, even more than Loremaster. Has anyone ever played without these?
I finished the game four times but never without computers/electronics. I think skipping these will make the game very difficult to enjoy unless you like standing in front of locked doors. I'm not sure what you mean by "loremaster", though. That doesn't sound familiar at all.

(...) Computers/Electronics seem basically indispensable, even more than Loremaster. Has anyone ever played without these?
I finished the game four times but never without computers/electronics. I think skipping these will make the game very difficult to enjoy unless you like standing in front of locked doors. I'm not sure what you mean by "loremaster", though. That doesn't sound familiar at all.

I meant Lore in AoD, my bad. You had to have it to access a lot of content.

did full hybrid with pistol. perhaps you would like it more? 10 con max implants, afraid its hard requirement.

Did you do all the tough fights as soon as they're available? I don't think I'll manage the Hargrave gang and last Courthouse fights before the Ch1 showdown. Not without using all energy ammo and grenades.

The CON build probably starts shining after you go to Eli and get all the good modules, before that I think it'd be weaker than Dodge This! with its ultra high accuracy and easy crits(hard to deal damage with a pistol otherwise).

EDIT: easily beat the Hargrave gang with a bit of creative stealth beforehand. I'd just assumed it couldn't be done it without feats. With the extra energy ammo, I was able to take on the last Courthouse battle, which gave me access to Knurl and his revolver, as well as an energy cell for the Cloaking Field. Only then I was able to tackle the Hydroponics psyker fight, which I managed to win but is still total bullshit. There's a 50% chance of me getting knockdown by bullfrogs and losing, despite flashbangs and 12 melee protection leg armor. Not really designed for solo players.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Did you do all the tough fights as soon as they're available?
yes, except for beating all the cyborgs at once. In many cases I was reloading to have the fight, then went back to lvlup speech/sneak instead. Managed to find my old post

The CON build probably starts shining after you go to Eli and get all the good modules
you undervalue power of big hp pool and regen
with its ultra high accuracy and easy crits(hard to deal damage with a pistol otherwise).
not at all. Pistol is strong on its own. Also got best energy cell economy, allowing you to use that lazor revolver often.

flushfire

Augur
There are plenty of Ok games that were completely crucified on Codex for a lot less and never been given a second chance (Encased, Black Geyser, InSomnia). CS still got voted incredibly high (way too high in my opinion) during GOTY voting. As for the amount of people who worked on the game well its been in production for a very long time and had EA for years as well. Also there are some other huge and impressive RPG made by even fewer people. (Underail, Skald, Serpents of Staglands).
I may not have followed it diligently, but I never saw Black Geyser crucified on release, plenty of jokes were made because of the title and development issues, but the game itself was seen as okay for what it is when it finally came out. Some were surprised, even, as they always thought of it as a joke. Whatever Insomnia got it deserved, it was a buggy mess for a long time.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Just finished this, gotta say I'm very impressed with the game.

Visually it's an astonishing leap forward compared to the predecessor.

The writing is very good in my opinion, it's honestly what I stayed for. Snappy, to the point, but clever. Definitely gets you through the motions of the somewhat predictable plot.

Also love how the game has better QoL features than bigger/AAA releases - I'm honestly struggling to say which other game offers fast travel to points of interest inside a single map. When I saw that feature, I knew I was gonna give the game a positive rating just for that.

Did you do all the tough fights as soon as they're available?
yes, except for beating all the cyborgs at once. In many cases I was reloading to have the fight, then went back to lvlup speech/sneak instead. Managed to find my old post

The CON build probably starts shining after you go to Eli and get all the good modules
you undervalue power of big hp pool and regen
with its ultra high accuracy and easy crits(hard to deal damage with a pistol otherwise).
not at all. Pistol is strong on its own. Also got best energy cell economy, allowing you to use that lazor revolver often.

I'm loving my Dodge This! pistol build and I'm glad I chose pistols, but I'd really struggle without crits. You didn't even tag it, what a maniac.

After finishing the game on baby mode with a party of 3
Funny how what's probably the largest step in terms of innovation between AoD and CS (with DR being made in large part to prototype it) is seen as mere baby mode :lol:

Nah, the game is proper hard, but companions are a difficulty slider, intentionally or not. Having another character who can fight and skill monkey for you is an incomparable advantage with no drawbacks except the small investment in stat points.

jackofshadows

Magister
Companions are also great grenade dispensers in tough fights since there's no aim penalty with them or anything, they cost ap obv and there's a limit on utility slots. When you go solo it starts to feel.

xuerebx

Erudite
Just to gauge how much of the game is left:

I got the fuel chip from the Great Mother, explored Mission Control (except for the level being guarded by Shadow, don't think I can defeat him), and powered up the Robot. I am thinking there isn't much left after I go back to the armory and give up the fuel chip?

Popot

Augur
Just to gauge how much of the game is left:

I got the fuel chip from the Great Mother, explored Mission Control (except for the level being guarded by Shadow, don't think I can defeat him), and powered up the Robot. I am thinking there isn't much left after I go back to the armory and give up the fuel chip?
You're quite close to the end. After the delivery there's some stuff to do in Hydroponics and then the endgame. Try bringing the robot against Shadow, the tin can is really tanky.

notpl

Arbiter
Speaking of the blade vs blunt blunder, it also seems a bit odd that Mercy's unique toothpick "Johnny Reb" is the best unpowered edge weapon in the game. Its 30% penetration value with 6% inherent crit bonus cause it to outdamage every other option against lategame enemies to a significant degree, even weapons nominally worth double its supposed value with larger base damage. I thought these boys were supposed to be good at autistic number crunching.

notpl

Arbiter
best unpowered edge weapon in the game.
no?

Still there are too many samey pieces of equipment
Yes. Which is better? I can just screenshot and calculate some DPR averages from my current playthrough to prove you wrong if you'd like. The close second is the pickaxe, but DPR advantage goes to Johnny Reb due to its lower AP cost.

"Last Rites" is an especially interesting direct comparison, as it has the exact same base stats except lacking the innate +6% to crit, and it's valued at 250 instead of 180. Baffling.

notpl

Arbiter
Yes. Which is better?
there are end game daggers, dunno the names. Like 2 of them priced at 300 or 400?
Viper (the one that drops from Shadow, value 300) is a great example, because it only has 20% penetration vs Johnny's 30. So, alright, it does 10-12 damage instead of 9-11, but late game enemies have 10-14 armor, so these two knives are actually doing the same damage. In terms of offense, we then must move on to other modifiers: Viper has +12% Aimed versus Johnny's +8%, but lacks the +6% crit. You aren't really missing aimed attacks as a knife-wielder, and excess accuracy is converted to crit chance, so in reality what you end up with for both weapons is a 100% hit rate with the same base damage: +12% crit for Viper... and +14% crit for Johnny Reb.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
So blades are still just strictly inferior to blunt, huh? I was sort of expecting that to change somewhat between three years ago and now, but the exact same issues still appear to be present. Blunt does more damage, penetrates armor better, and inflicts stronger debuffs on enemies.

Apparently so. For reference, some guy completed a solo bladed run with a low STR hybrid build and still did all the tough fights.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/648410/discussions/0/3954784199556942748/?ctp=4#c3975051362888935575

He still says it would've been much easier with blunt.

I'm like the terminator with trash enemies, but I hit the wall fast with the last Ch 1 Courthouse fight and Hargrave. I could simply skip these, but it's causing me considerable butthurt. The energy pistol you get at the start is a god send, but I need to get a better regular pistol ASAP. I had to take Big Game Hunter to do any damage.

Some more observations:

- I said the game is mostly balanced when it comes to combat, but the civic skills aren't. You can pass all the social checks on Ch. 1 by putting a single point in Streetwise and then snowballing it. The only balance comes from losing on combat xp in some cases, but otherwise seems like a no brainer. You'll be forced to spend a tag later on to get all the best outcomes, but that's still only one tag out of three skills. This is just like Fallout where you can tag Speech and be a master rhetorician even if you dumped CHA.
- Another bad example from Fallout is that the most charismatic characters will be the best at combat. Yes, I know this makes sense; in real life, it's even more about how many people you can get to fight for you. However, you lose the ability to play the weakling grifter that you could in AoD. I like that CHA affects character bonding and interactions, but please, stop tying it to companion numbers. People already see companions as an implicit difficulty slider, just embrace it.
- Computers/Electronics seem basically indispensable, even more than Lore in AoD. Has anyone ever played without these?
I've played AOD a lot and never gone lore. Eventually I'll do it to
beat the final boss
... I just never really found the class type interesting RP wise, even after realizing what was going on in the world. I liked merchant, guard, and assassin the best.

It's too bad they can't easily remaster AoD because of the engine and wouldn't be worth completely remaking it for getting funding to colony ship 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom