Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Diggfinger

Arcane
So...how are sales going so far?
How's the team doing, was the released what everyone hoped for?

It seems we have not heard much from Iron Tower on the forums or SoMe lately.
My theory is therefore, that Iron Tower and Vault Dweller are out partying to celebrate this awesome release with cocaine and hookers!

Update

after hours of diligent research I have proof to confirm this is true...

3YBkvo.gif

5c36c63fb225c5eb2c67fe46c28bf0ca22-ted-3.2x.rhorizontal.w700.gif

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So, I started my negotiator run and just finished chapter one. I followed lukaszek's suggestions and this is how my build currently looks:
Colony Ship Stealth End of Chapter 1.jpg

Progress was smooth, but I had to pick "Ghost" to sneak around Sharp Face and his goons in the armory. I didn't recruit any party members. Sneaking through the Black Hand base was fun, but overall it feels a bit tedious to play the game like this because gear is more or less meaningless.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I had to pick "Ghost" to sneak around Sharp Face and his goons in the armory.
thats surprising? On a bunch of hybrids I was able to sneak around and take down 2 of his goons

not that it maters a lot but picking lone wolf over silent runner makes little sense. You will have both, but still...

NewGuy

Novice
Disagree with this. Quite a few instances where it was unnecessarily verbose. First time meeting Gideon is an example.
Sure, at times the descriptions could be shortened. But I didn't feel like I had unmanageable info dumps thrown at me. I mean, after playing PoE I have developed a strong allergy to filler text, and it didn't trigger while playing the game...

I agree that they could have trimmed 20% of the fat and instead used the resources to better explain the more important details. But still, I think that the writing was good enough for the most part.

Regarding your specific exaple, I disagree that there is no need to describe the portraits. We see a tiny image of a guy with a scar on his face. It's hard to understand if it's from a monster attack, a burn mark, or his wife found out that he cheated on her with a mutant... I don't mind a few extra sentences.

How is it good combat? Its serviceable, but barely. It features the worst combat out of all the games they have made.
It's good combat because it is relatively tactical. You cannot bumrush the enemy and win, especially at the endgame. For example, the fight in the armory - There is no way you can win this without careful use of cover, consumables and gadgets.
Sure, some claim that the combat is "just shoot in the legs and then the arms and throw some grenades, and that's it", but if so, then this can be said for almost every video game ever created

ITS had made only 2 additional games, so even if the combat in CS is worse, it's still vastly superior to the majority of other games.

Elaborate on this, I found the soundtrack to be absolutely forgettable and the graphics are nothing to write home about.
I liked the soundtrack - especially the main and the factory themes. But I guess it's subjective. The graphics, for a studio of 5(?) people, are very good in my opinion (The Heart, especially). How many games did you play, made by a studio with employees that can be counted on one hand, that have better graphics?

Yes, which is why I cant believe you said the combat is good, theres no variety, theres nothing interesting to find there, its a check list.
As mentioned, the combat is only "good". Having a real weapon variety would've made it great.

You never got the feeling of finding good stuff that changes how you approach encounters like in fallout when you got better armor at an earlier stage
As always, you need to consider fun itemization vs balance. In fallout, if you cheese your playthrough and get the power armor early or steal the bozar, it would be fun as hell, but only for a few minutes. Then, your entire gameplay will be ruined as all the fights will be trivial. Basically, you activate easy mode.
In CS, while you never find "Uber powerful" items and never feel like the terminator after finding a super cool gun or armor, you always have fun and challenging fights (well, maybe except fighting the 1000000th frog...).
If one belongs to the "muh balans" club, and doesn't care about balance at all, I can understand how he can become frustrated with all the +1 itemization.
In my opinion, the itemization in CS should have gone a step or two in the direction you suggested, but not too much.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
I had to pick "Ghost" to sneak around Sharp Face and his goons in the armory.
thats surprising? On a bunch of hybrids I was able to sneak around and take down 2 of his goons

not that it maters a lot but picking lone wolf over silent runner makes little sense. You will have both, but still...
Do you mean "Tunnel Runner"? If it does what I think it does, then you're right and I should have picked it first. Regarding Sharp Face: I snuck through the door on the right and without "Ghost" the guy there noticed me before I could take him down or go through the door. Maybe there is a better route which works without "Ghost".

flushfire

Augur
If it's the melee guy you can take him down even with level 1 sneak and no feats. Just make sure you're wearing nothing with sneak penalty. Use the long path to the right. You can even kill the girl near the open entrance, just do it after the melee guy (she has lower hp, requires lower takedown even when alerted). I'm not sure if you need critical strike 2, but you should have that much at that point.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
Finished my negotiator run:
negotiator.PNG

Next, I want to do a combat focussed run where I can just solve everything with violence. Any recommendations? I'm considering a melee build but I'm not sure whether these are good.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Lots of codexers mentioned elsewhere how this game is somewhat lackluster in comparison to what the community was expecting from the devs. My main interest with this one here is about the char progression + tacticoolness/combat mechanics combo. Are those gameplay elements good enough? I'm not even expecting something extraordinary, like the ultimate classics. Being way above the competition (that is quite mediocre, in my experience lately) is already excellent for me.

Humanophage

Arcane
Lots of codexers mentioned elsewhere how this game is somewhat lackluster in comparison to what the community was expecting from the devs. My main interest with this one here is about the char progression + tacticoolness/combat mechanics combo. Are those gameplay elements good enough? I'm not even expecting something extraordinary, like the ultimate classics. Being way above the competition (that is quite mediocre, in my experience lately) is already excellent for me.
Yes, the combat and character progression are the best part after the first playthrough. I'm currently replaying it for the 3rd time. The first time, I was quite interested in the story and dialogues, but the other times I am only in for the combat (I am actually avoiding getting invested in the story so as to have some later playthrough once I forget the details).

Alpharius

Scholar
Finished my negotiator run:
View attachment 44676
Next, I want to do a combat focussed run where I can just solve everything with violence. Any recommendations? I'm considering a melee build but I'm not sure whether these are good.
Blunt is ok for hybrid builds so would work fine for combat focussed builds too. I think bladed would be weaker due to less armor penetration but i haven't tried it on solo characters so not sure. Maybe it will be fine with lots of crit damage and or just using energy blade vs heavily armored enemies.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Blunt is ok for hybrid builds so would work fine for combat focussed builds too. I think bladed would be weaker due to less armor penetration but i haven't tried it on solo characters so not sure. Maybe it will be fine with lots of crit damage and or just using energy blade vs heavily armored enemies.
i tried to do my all-hybrid with blade and failed while pistol was fine. Melee requires more investment in my test runs to take of

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
I started the run and I'm currently following this bladed build. Currently, I still carry Evans around, but I'm not sure whether having one party member is worth it.

Last edited:
finished it after 22 hours. Did mostly pacifist run and enjoyed the hell out of the game. After Atom RPG ,Trudograd and Underrail this is my favorite. The team managed to pull a much better game then what InExile tried with Torment : Tides of Numanuma.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I started the run and I'm currently following this bladed build. Currently, I still carry Evans around, but I'm not sure whether having one party member is worth it.
ditch Evans, he's slowing you down. See how the build you referenced has Lone Wolf as the second feat? And that in the character screen there's no party members?

rather than blindly follow a build when you don't have a good idea of the game or systems, play on hero mode and make a character that feels fun for you. learn the ropes, and then try a murder solo run. i would never recommend what you're trying to do as a way to experience the game for the first time. this build you're referencing is a cool novelty for someone who knows the ins and outs of CS

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
ditch Evans, he's slowing you down. See how the build you referenced has Lone Wolf as the second feat? And that in the character screen there's no party members?

rather than blindly follow a build when you don't have a good idea of the game or systems, play on hero mode and make a character that feels fun for you. learn the ropes, and then try a murder solo run. i would never recommend what you're trying to do as a way to experience the game for the first time. this build you're referencing is a cool novelty for someone who knows the ins and outs of CS
That's my third run of the game, so I have at least some idea what I'm doing :). Yes, I saw that the reference build uses "Lone Wolf" but I wasn't sure whether the creator just wanted to do a solo run or if he considers this the optimal build for a melee fighter. So, I figured I'd just take it for test drive and see how it plays. Results are mixed so far: Evans is useful at least at the very start of the game, but he's also fragile compared to my main character. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

oscar

Arcane
Evans gets a choice between two very powerful feats if you can survive Eli's quest where you have to get past the two sentry guns and robot. I've done him with rifles and with pistols and think I had slightly better results with the pistols (one of the aforementioned feats makes aimed attacks super cheap what works well with pistol's low AP costs). In either case he was a solid useful party member.

Haven't tried Lone Wolf but I found them all pretty useful. Jed falls off in the late game so I ditch him for Knurl whose a critical beast (and super deadly with energy weapons). Faythe built right can be super deadly as well (though some people like to just make her a skill monkey/sneaker).

Alpharius

Scholar
I'd say the point of solo builds is to make the decision between sneak, combat and talking more meaningful. Cause with the full party you can easily do 99% of the fights even if you avoid combat all the time. With the exception of a fight vs 4(5) monks i guess, cause i didn't manage to win it in any playthrough yet.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'd say the point of solo builds is to make the decision between sneak, combat and talking more meaningful. Cause with the full party you can easily do 99% of the fights even if you avoid combat all the time. With the exception of a fight vs 4(5) monks i guess, cause i didn't manage to win it in any playthrough yet.
I'm curious what strategy you use for a hybrid party vs Ol'Bub. his ability to position anywhere on the map at whim really reduces the utility of Romeo

Alpharius

Scholar
I'm curious what strategy you use for a hybrid party vs Ol'Bub. his ability to position anywhere on the map at whim really reduces the utility of Romeo
I think a just gave everybody energy weapons and zen stimms and shot him in the head when i played with full party. Either bullseye or just aimed head. When i played solo i've (ab)used the cover in the middle of the map, it also works on melee attacks so ol'bub almost always missed. Perhaps it can be used with full party too, i think ol'bub shouldn't reposition if he can hit you in melee.

Modron

Arcane
I never ended up using Romeo, you know in case I needed him later. Had to Reload an earlier save just to get that achievement for deploying him.

jackofshadows

Magister
https://steamcommunity.com/app/648410
Quality of Life update
The first major update is now live. It adds many ‘quality of life’ improvements requested by the players:

• Customizable difficulty (for players who thought that playing on Underdog was too hard and playing on Hero mode was too easy)
  • Animation speed slider (for players who wanted to speed up combat and stealth; you can set up it for all characters or enemies only)
  • Follow and focus camera options
  • Different inventory grid options
  • Chapter ending slides
  • Improved font readability (work in progress)
  • Improved the help screen
  • When leaving the Pit and the Habitat, listed quests that will be auto-resolved, giving you a chance to go back and finish them
  • When fixing Romeo, listed the missing parts
  • Numerous minor improvements, balance changes, and fixes.

Thank you again for your support. Happy New Year to you and your families.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom