Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Codex Year of the Donut
all the content was on sale on steam for very cheap recently, probably will be again in the upcoming sale

Lhynn

Arcane
With poverty region prices it was really cheap to buy everything conan when I started playing, though It took me a year to bite the bullet and buy all the dlc at a steep discount. Not regretted it yet, one of my most played games of all time.

Got a rich modding community with a lot of quality stuff, got an active pvp, pve and rp community and a whole bunch of servers to pick and choose from.

One of the most popular mods nowadays even gives the player a character sheet and dice rolling, it can get very complex very quickly and can be played as a simple turn based game.

image.png
image-1.png
image-1.png

mastroego

Arcane
I have it ready though, so...
"soon"
Sometime ago a megapatch was released too, had to download again a load of GB of stuff

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Anyone playing? How is it solo?
It's the grindiest game I have ever played (or will play I'm sure) but I think that's the point. It gives the impression of true vastness. I'm just about to upgrade from the lesser Wheel of Pain to the Wheel of Pain (and of course there's a Greater Wheel of Pain). But damn if it doesn't make me feel like I'm living in a Conan world. "Conan! What is best in life?! To crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" I get that feeling every time I drag a prisoner by rope to my Wheel of Pain to break them and turn them into my thrall. Haven't had a boss fight yet that didn't end in my near complete obliteration but I hope to grind and produce the best armor/weapons and perfect warrior (or pet) thrall to finally take one down.

There is real fear and tension in this game when one of those glowing eyed bastards suddenly spawns near your home base and tries to pound through your structures to get at the canned meat (you) inside or when you venture into an unfamilar area and see a new creature and worry that it will one-shot you. With the upgraded Wheel of Pain where I can make 4 thralls at a time I no longer feel their lives are as precious now and I'm willing to take more chances. One of my thralls gets pounded into the ground by a boss-monster with a paw the size of a humvee? No problem. Just make another.

Tyrr

Liturgist
My character is build around thralls and so far my thralls had no problem killing any boss other than the Arena Champion. But it took some time to come to that place.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm still playing this though it's the slowest, grindiest thing that has ever existed in the realm of gaming, I suspect. My thing right now is to go around and beat the best fighters, alchemists, archers, crafters, etc into unconsciousness with my steel truncheon then drag them by leather ropes across the badlands of Hyboria from the back of my horse and finally break their spirits on my Greater Wheel of Pain and make them my thralls. So it's kind of like Pokémon in that respect; collect the best and the baddest in the land and put them in your pocket and take them out on a whim to pit against other, unbroken hostiles and monsters. It's moderately fun.

I'm still playing this though it's the slowest, grindiest thing that has ever existed in the realm of gaming, I suspect. My thing right now is to go around and beat the best fighters, alchemists, archers, crafters, etc into unconsciousness with my steel truncheon then drag them by leather ropes across the badlands of Hyboria from the back of my horse and finally break their spirits on my Greater Wheel of Pain and make them my thralls. So it's kind of like Pokémon in that respect; collect the best and the baddest in the land and put them in your pocket and take them out on a whim to pit against other, unbroken hostiles and monsters. It's moderately fun.
You need to set up wheel outposts closer to the big thrall encampments. Saves travel time.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You need to set up wheel outposts closer to the big thrall encampments. Saves travel time.
Even though I'm lvl 60 with a couple of power-thralls I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of this game. Was at The Black Galleon today and lethally fought hoards of baddies, killing most of them because they're useless Tier 1s, then switching to my truncheon when I see a nice fat Tier 4 that would do well in my crafting stations or fighting for me. Some of the fights are wicked intense in this game, and I was frequently fighting these hoards perched at the very edge of precipices with unsurvivable drops below. Even when I died it was spectacular, falling, screaming, from that precipice along with the Tier 4 I just knocked into unconsciousness. Try try again if you don't succeed. I'm learning how to level up certain attributes of thralls through favorite foods. Had my first purge yesterday (during a sandstorm!) with a hoard of Yog-worshipping cannibal blackamoors and giant poison lizards the size of saltwater crocs attacking my base, and I feel these don't even have 1/10th the strength of tougher enemies west and north.

Thanks for the tip. My horse feels slow and awkward and I wondered if running is faster but it's an illusion. The horses are getting me places quicker but shortcuts would still be nice.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Amazingly, I'm still playing this though it frustrates and thwarts me to no end, and the progression in SP is fucking glacial. Slowly expanding north (where all the good stuff happens) by building a line of bases, though I lost my 2nd base and tons of crafting tables to a particularly nasty purge when 3 waves of skeletons and their much larger bosses attacked me. My building was smashed and destroyed, my thralls obliterated, and the only thing left standing when I returned was my Greater Wheel of Pain now left bereft and out in the open, exposed to the elements. I then checked my server settings and noticed the default difficulty setting for Purges was set to maximum. WTF? It won't happen again since I now have 15 leveled-up T3 fighter thralls waiting to smash ♫them bones them bones♫

Trying the game with mods now - 3 or 4 QoL ones, and 2 to give my thralls more incentive to go on living. Most of the annoying things I felt with CE are fixed now. One in particular was going to town to stalk and abduct T3/T4 thralls and only able to drag one at at a time back to my Wheel of Pain. Better Thralls lets your thrall companion and your horse drag thralls back to your base along with the one you lassoed. Game is feeling better now. I even enjoy losing or getting my ass kicked, like when I hunted a Cimmerian Berserker up north and he beat me to a bloody pulp. Will try again because it's fun to fail in this game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The progression in SP is fucking glacial.
What? You get to max level in a matter of hours. Building a gigantic base with a million thralls is entirely optional. (Admittedly crafting top tier armor requires a decent resource investment, but that's it.) Get a legendary weapon out of a chest, level up one good fighting thrall and you're off to beat every dungeon in the game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The progression in SP is fucking glacial.
What? You get to max level in a matter of hours. Building a gigantic base with a million thralls is entirely optional. (Admittedly crafting top tier armor requires a decent resource investment, but that's it.) Get a legendary weapon out of a chest, level up one good fighting thrall and you're off to beat every dungeon in the game.
Is it really as simple as that though? To a veteran like you that knows all the metagaming tips, tricks and locations, it might be easy but someone new to the game (just started playing this last month and I only learned this week how to set up single-player on a dedicated server to get NPCSpawns settings and other server-only enhancements to work) may find it more complicated. I saw one guy posting recently in another topic that started a few months before me, I think, saying that even with a Cimmerian Berserker thrall and 6 legendary weapons he couldn't even beat the crocodile boss on the newbie river though he had success with some other 3 skull bosses. I think if I had a proper game-plan (tackling bosses or areas in sequential order of difficulty like in many other more difficult RPGs) I'd find it easier but the game makes it hard with no hand-holding, no real sense of direction and such a confusing mess of in-game guidance, and I try to use online guides as little as possible.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
I think, saying that even with a Cimmerian Berserker thrall and 6 legendary weapons he couldn't even beat the crocodile boss on the newbie river
Strange. Did you level authority? Do you feed your thrall?
I'm at max authority and my 2 thralls (Cimmerian Berserker and/or Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers) can kill any outdoor boss without me doing anything.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think, saying that even with a Cimmerian Berserker thrall and 6 legendary weapons he couldn't even beat the crocodile boss on the newbie river
I'm at max authority and my 2 thralls (Cimmerian Berserker and/or Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers) can kill any outdoor boss without me doing anything.
I have 10 RHTS T3 thralls but the highest is only lvl 12 with steel weapons (leveling is painfully slow after lvl 10). Perhaps I need to pump them up and equip them with hardened steel or star metal weapons but it seems like a long road ahead before that happens. I feed them stakes, sometimes savory roasted fish.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I can't be the only one who collects thralls by the size of their tits, right.

:kingcomrade:
I enabled full nudity on my server and briefly experimented with RPing an armorless nudist character for my male PC but that got old real fast seeing his junk a'swingin' every time he climbed a cliff, tree or structure with that camera awkwardly placed up close in back and below so I quickly put some armor back on him. Not enough tits and too much taint in this game, but that 'taint here nor there.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I have 10 RHTS T3 thralls but the highest is only lvl 12 with steel weapons (leveling is painfully slow after lvl 10). Perhaps I need to pump them up and equip them with hardened steel or star metal weapons but it seems like a long road ahead before that happens. I feed them stakes, sometimes savory roasted fish.
Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers (fighter) have no tier (= they're treated as t4). They do a little bit less damage than Berserkers, but have a very high HP pool. Very durable. Try Gruel as food, good heal and helps leveling Str.

h5JQMVP.jpg

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers (fighter) have no tier (= they're treated as t4). They do a little bit less damage than Berserkers, but have a very high HP pool. Very durable. Try Gruel as food, good heal and helps leveling Str.

h5JQMVP.jpg
Okay, I'm mistaking Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers with Relic Hunter Slave Takers (the latter of which are the ones I have which are all marked as Tier III). I'll try to find a treasure seeker. Didn't know about the gruel. Thought they needed at least steaks.

Tyrr

Liturgist

h5JQMVP.jpg
Okay, I'm mistaking Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers with Relic Hunter Slave Takers (the latter of which are the ones I have which are all marked as Tier III). I'll try to find a treasure seeker. Didn't know about the gruel. Thought they needed at least steaks.
Gruel heals 6hp/sec (even more with the 15 authority perk).
The best place to find Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers is the Unnamed City or the Wine Cellar dungeon in Sepermeru (you can drag them out of the dungeon).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

h5JQMVP.jpg
Gruel heals 6hp/sec (even more with the 15 authority perk).
The best place to find Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers is the Unnamed City or the Wine Cellar dungeon in Sepermeru (you can drag them out of the dungeon).
Heh, I've been scouring Sepermeru looking for T4 spawns to abduct, even met Conan in the tavern, but had no idea there was a door in back of that tavern that leads to the Wine Cellar basement dungeon. I gave up trying any doors in Sepermeru after a few attempts at unopenable ones since I assumed you just couldn't enter any buildings through unlocked doors. This game is really throwing a lot of curve balls at me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom