Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm going to try this game for the memes. Probably only play it a couple hours.

I know nothing about the game and haven't really read on it other than it's supposedly a survival game like Rust, but you can make characters with massive dongs.

Gonna download it today and give it a shot tomorrow.

vota DC

Augur
How is the new expansion?
In PvE/co-op it feels much the same as before. The new attributes system is fine. Some perks are trash but it's nowhere near as unbalanced as the original was. What little I've seen of sorcery looks like a great addition. Early game seems way easier. Could be because I know how to play. Still plenty of very tough fights mid game. The new building system is a million times better than previous. Daily challenges are cute and help me get motivated to go do little things, and can be almost completely ignored if you don't like them. (You will see occasional messages saying "Bird Creatures killed 4/10" and hear a victory thud when you kill the 10th one.) The Battle Pass looks overpriced but can be ignored completely.

Overall I like it fine and it's a good excuse to play again.
Are bows good and worth to focus in them? In vanilla were mediocre, also enemies are always aware of your presence.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are bows good and worth to focus in them? In vanilla were mediocre, also enemies are always aware of your presence.
Bows will never become your one and only weapon but they can do excellent damage, can certainly reach unaware enemies, and are perfect for killing things on different levels without spending time and endurance climbing around to stab them. Plus there is a new Agility perk that makes projectiles travel twice as fast which is awesome.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As for the massive download, I just left my computer downloading while I went to work.

Anyways, I played for a few hours today, the game definitely doesn't have the best "builder" mechanics compared to other builder type games I've played, but it seems fun enough for a few hours.

My massive dong flopping around everywhere does improve the entertainment value of the game though.

Haven't tried pvp yet, but soon.

Machocruz

Arcane
Of all the games of this type I've played and seen so far, this and Terraria have the best building aesthetics. Well as long as you have any of the DLC. Minecraft has more freedom, scope and possibilities in building, but obviously aesthetic is limited by tech and visual world being represented by cubes. No Man's Sky has less and looks even more shit. Subnautica is just serviceable, not terrible, not impressive. Haven't seen anything very nice looking out of Ark or 7DtD. Valheim vanilla pieces look more interesting than Conan vanilla pieces, but have nothing on the nicer DLC sets.

Realized I actually don't care for building in games all that much, in practice. I get inspired by other people's builds, but the actual process of farming up all the materials, waiting for workshops to process them, etc. is not fun. Then having a nice looking base doesn't feel as rewarding as I thought it would, doesn't enhance gameplay in any significant way.

Overworld exploration is probably the best thing in the game. Really the best there has been in games in some time. You aren't told jackshit about where or what anything is unless you follow the journey steps. Which is fine by me. I either go towards something in the distance that looks interesting or open up the map and find possible structures. World is dangerous, although you can outrun most things or climb something and they'll go away. Dungeons are just ok, many MMOs have better ones.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
It's enjoyable enough, the DLC cash grab stuff is a bit strange imo.

It reminds me of LOTR Online almost, but maybe not as bad. To be fair though, nothing can be as bad as LOTR Online's cash shop.

They really want $150 to unlock the current game and be able build everything?

My plan is to play through the base game and enjoy the story and building mechanics, but I doubt I'll play further unless some sort of sale happens.

Also, it seems you can go full nude in the online servers, but you can't in a coop game for some reason.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They really want $150 to unlock the current game and be able build everything?
No. Think about it for a second. Do you honestly want to play this game for 600 hours and build 15 different bases each in a different style? Probably not. A normal player will pick a style your character likes and build one base in that style and be happy. If you really can't enjoy the game without absolutely everything available then sorry man, that's you being weird. At the same time, why not let whales drop $200 on DLC if they want to?

Also, it seems you can go full nude in the online servers, but you can't in a coop game for some reason.
No, look it up. You have total control over your locally hosted game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah I just bought the Turan pack, on sale, since it looked like the overall best fit for my base location and what I imagine my character's style/temperment to be. And I wasn't sure if I could even use DLC for the X cloud streaming version I'm playing (DLC isn't offered/available on the streaming menu). Probably the most economical, if inferior, way to play, behind sailing the high seas.

Of course streamers and the like have all the packs, but they don't fall under "normal player".

Finally got my first Purge. Guess I don't play this as much as other people who play it. Didn't have any idea what to expect.

The Purge turned out to be waves of spiders chewing at my constructions. About eight overall. The later waves included Darfari cannibals. Am curious how the diplomacy of a spider-cannibal alliance works. Anyway, the final wave included a three skull giant spider boss, which I was not equipped to kill. I managed to distract it for a while but eventually it tore out the east wall of one of my buildings. Then enough time had elapsed and it vanished.

Seems a useful mechanic to mix things up. Wish they'd sent a Purge after me back when I had the pyramid.

mastroego

Arcane
Damn guys I keep getting tempted to try this game.

As I posted sometime ago, I'm not a MMO player and I'd only get it because the setting tempts me immensely. I've just seen the Razma trailer and I get such strong Valeria vibes, it makes me feel like they might have nail the Conan Sword & Sorcery mood.
Problem is I'm a completionist so I'd doom myself to buy every DLC if I give in.

Ok so we've established that it can be played Single Player, even offline, though most people would find that kind of empty?
Is there enough content for SP?
Or rather, is there a main storyline to follow?

EDIT: I've re-read Zombra's replies to my earlier post. It seems it doesn't really offer what I'd want. :( Second opinions, by chance?

Zombra

Patron
I reread my comments from 2 years ago and I'd like to offer a second opinion of my own :)

When the 2.0 version dropped I played dozens of hours solo offline (on the Siptah expansion) and the game is full of stuff to do.

Think of it as an open world game but without a Big Main Quest telling you what to do with a big reminder at the top of the screen all the time and 100 NPCs lining up to give you instructions and incentives. There is (and has always been) the "Journey" system which gives you objectives and direction when you don't know what else to pursue. Small things at first like "figure out how to kill something" and "drink some water so you don't die fool" and moving on (much later) to things like "you've heard about a dungeon at the top of Mt. Scary, climb the mountain". But it's not really built on quests. It's just "You're in this world, now figure out what you want to do." You quickly end up needing to find resources to build the stuff you want and exploring comes very naturally. And under it all there actually IS a Big Main Quest with a beginning, middle, and endgame. It just doesn't hit you over the head like most RPGs - you have to find it yourself, which is fascinating.

Play the basic game, not the expansion. The original Exiled Lands world is just better than Siptah. But you really should follow your instincts and try it.

mastroego

Arcane
Play the basic game, not the expansion. The original Exiled Lands world is just better than Siptah. But you really should follow your instincts and try it.
Thanks my friend, that's good advice for sure.
Again the only thing that's stopping me is the fact that I know myself and that I'd want the entire collection of DLCs once I dare getting the base thing... :negative:
But I think I'll get it. I can at least wait for discounts, I hope :D

Zombra

Patron
Again the only thing that's stopping me is the fact that I know myself and that I'd want the entire collection of DLCs once I dare getting the base thing... :negative:
Don't be that guy. Your road to being a normal non-DLC-slave begins today. Buy the base game, decide what nationality your character is, and buy no more than ONE DLC based on your character's background. You don't need 20 different skins for your base, I promise you will not miss them.

mastroego

Arcane
I'm reading stuff about the DLCs and man you weren't kidding, they ARE all cosmetic except one.
I really should do as you suggest.
I need to summon the strenght to do a partial purchase...

Don't be that guy. Your road to being a normal non-DLC-slave begins today. Buy the base game, decide what nationality your character is, and buy no more than ONE DLC based on your character's background. You don't need 20 different skins for your base, I promise you will not miss them.
You'll also rob yourself of the opportunity to build up a trade route between other players if you play online. Much more fun to broker a deal for someone to craft the DLC tilesets you don't have but want, in exchange for the materials + payment or just payment if you can finesse it. When I still played, I outsourced about half of my material construction to another clan and spent all my time working the slave trade. Half a base worth of mats for an assortment of unique armorers, smiths and other tradesmen is a pretty good deal.

mastroego

Arcane
You all convinced me to try the base game only at least for now. Thanks for the comments.
The next Steam sale is projected in 4 days. If it's a decent deal....

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks, I did consider it but I wouldn't want to risk my account getting nuked (I know it shouldn't happen but still....)

Zombra

Patron
I can vouch for YuPlay.
YUPLAY signed me up for a monthly paid premium account or whatever without my knowledge. Be very careful what boxes you click if you use them, and watch your Paypal or credit card statement very closely for a while afterwards. Better yet, just don't use them. I really don't think I agreed to anything like that; I think they just took my info, started charging me a small amount, and hoped I wouldn't notice.

And you can't unsubscribe from their mailing list, you just have to block them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom