Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Concord Cancelled

Hobknobling

Learned
Overwatch's success is also vastly overstated almost everywhere. It had no legs after the initial draw of the old-Blizzard designs (see below the leaked project Titan MMO roster they recycled) and the whole "esports franchise ecosystem" they really heavy-handedly tried to force, left a smoldering crater worth of over 500 million dollars. Massive failure and nobody plays the game anymore.

It is no wonder these games keep flopping when the game they are trying to emulate was very mediocre to begin with.

Beating dead hose continues

Former Microsoft Games Studios executive producer Laura Fryer

The Overwatch model was a success, but gamers evolved, and Concord needed to evolve with them.
[00:00:00] Introduction to Concord’s Failure
  • Initial Expectations: Concord was anticipated to be a blockbuster, drawing heavy inspiration from the success of Overwatch. The developers had high hopes for its performance in the competitive gaming market.

• Overwatch’s Influence: Initially, Concord aimed to emulate Overwatch’s success, but failed to pivot as the market evolved.

FUCKING CASE IN POINT CAUGHT RED-HANDED ARE THESE PEOPLE FUCKING RETARDED HOLY FUCK

Yeah, I am sure Overwatch made quite a lot of money during the first two or three years, but it had no legs and the competitive scene was one of the biggest financial flops ever. The usual suspects of course failed to report on this because they can't anger daddy Activision.

abija

Prophet
Overwatch had no legs... if Concord hit current OW numbers they'd order 10 more games like that next morning :D
And that's after 5+ years of bad move after bad move.

If OW launched now with the initial game it would still make bank. Concord didn't fail to pivot/evolve/whatever else retarded MBA terms. It's just so much less appealing than OW.

Hobknobling

Learned
Overwatch had no legs... if Concord hit current OW numbers they'd order 10 more games like that next morning :D

If OW launched now with the initial game it would still make bank. Concord didn't fail to pivot/evolve/whatever else retarded MBA terms. It's just so much less appealing than OW.
If Overwatch had legs, it would be hitting peak player numbers now. Just like Team Fortress 2 and other popular multiplayer shooters did years after their releases. These games have unbelievably long lifespans if they are actually good.

Overwatch had insane amounts of hype and certain appealing visual factors coming from the Old-Blizzard Titan project, but the game design was always mediocre garbage. It would still make quite a bit of money if released today, but it is not a good game to emulate since this "hero shooter" genre is mostly hot air.

If Overwatch had legs, it would be hitting peak player numbers now. Just like Team Fortress 2 and other popular multiplayer shooters did years after their releases. These games have unbelievably long lifespans if they are actually good.

Overwatch had insane amounts of hype and certain appealing visual factors coming from the Old-Blizzard Titan project, but the game design was always mediocre garbage. It would still make quite a bit of money if released today, but it is not a good game to emulate since this "hero shooter" genre is mostly hot air.
I've never actually played a hero shooter but my sense is that individual titles within the genre don't tend to have any longevity. The multiplayer-only model these days seems to be a big launch followed by whale capture then a gradual decline till shutdown.

The choice of a non F2P model makes me think Sony just didn't get it. If the character designs are culturally passé too you're on a hiding to nothing. In this market your launch has to break big and your profit is whale exploitation.

Launching with only 12 maps after 8 years for a PvP-only shooter too holy fuck. What were they doing with all that development time?

abija

Prophet
Not when post release decisions were so bad. They made bank and then the suits took over the devs. Despite all that it still has a large enough playerbase.

Overwatch had insane amounts of hype
as with all the blizzard games barring diablo and partially starcraft, they're all just derivative boring stuff with a good looking presentation, living off paid journos, herd effect, mass hysteria and post-purchase rationalization.

somerandomdude

Learned
I got mixed feelings about this, because whenever some faggot shows up asking for gay shit to be included in a game, my response was the game you're looking for is here: "inserts link to concord", but now that it's shut down, I need an alternative game to direct the faggots to.

But man, they sure got fucking shellacked on Concord didn't they? Budget was $100-$200m for the game, and it bombed epically.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The more woke shite the devs insert, the more people will hate it, the more it'll bomb.

Just ask Infinitron. Before that Pillars "retrospective" people were okay to him. How he is showered with shit every time he posts a message.

Everything produces a reaction.

somerandomdude

Learned
Concord is proof that the anti-woke movement has gained some serious clout in gaming. And I'm sure the wokies are going to cope and deflect every way they possibly can to avoid recognizing this reality. Don't let up, it's time to double-down, be savage and take no fucking prisoners - brutally eviscerate the bowels of any studio who releases woke slop.

I've seen commentary from Concord devs salty about losing their jobs, I say they should find a job befitting their station in life, go be a cashier at Walmart, or go bag groceries at Kroger, because you have zero creative talent, you are witless fucking hacks.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Concord is proof that the anti-woke movement has gained some serious clout in gaming. And I'm sure the wokies are going to cope and deflect every way they possibly can to avoid recognizing this reality. Don't let up, it's time to double-down, be savage and take no fucking prisoners - brutally eviscerate the bowels of any studio who releases woke slop.

I've seen commentary from Concord devs salty about losing their jobs, I say they should find a job befitting their station in life, go be a cashier at Walmart, or go bag groceries at Kroger, because you have zero creative talent, you are witless fucking hacks.
People are simply tired of seeing fat, horrible looking bitches and fucking niggers in their video games.
Enough niggers.
No more niggers.
Nigger free gaming, LET'S GOOOO!!!!

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Aye aye SIR! I have identified the next target!

Valve consults with Sweet Baby Inc, that should explain everything.

https://sweetbabyinc.com/projects/

Scroll down, it's listed under "our clients"

If history is any guide, the so-called "based" alt-right will just hand-wave it off as an anomaly.

Both the left and the right are now completely locked into the Steam ecosystem. No criticism of Lord Gaben will be tolerated!!! /s

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

somerandomdude

Learned
Aye aye SIR! I have identified the next target!

Valve consults with Sweet Baby Inc, that should explain everything.

https://sweetbabyinc.com/projects/

Scroll down, it's listed under "our clients"

If history is any guide, the so-called "based" alt-right will just hand-wave it off as an anomaly.

Both the left and the right are now completely locked into the Steam ecosystem. No criticism of Lord Gaben will be tolerated!!! /s

I axed my steam account awhile back. Those faggots aren't getting a dime from me. I only play games I can procure on the high seas these days.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron

People are simply tired of seeing fat, horrible looking bitches and fucking niggers in their video games.
Enough niggers.
No more niggers.
I've actually been fiending for some gangster hood games where you deal drugs, pimp hoes, shoot the police etc which would be cast with 90% minorities and have a soundtrack of all black artists but they never seem to make those for some reason.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Enough niggers.
No more niggers.
I've actually been fiending for some gangster hood games where you deal drugs, pimp hoes, shoot the police etc which would be cast with 90% minorities and have a soundtrack of all black artists but they never seem to make those for some reason.
San Andreas has got you covered.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Isn't that GTA San Andreas?
Yeah, but it totally went out there into something else after CJ left Los Santos. Only like 1/3 of the game is Menace II Society and all those movies.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't that GTA San Andreas?
Yeah, but it totally went out there into something else after CJ left Los Santos.

I just remember playing it for like 5 minutes. The rap soundtrack and set up made me nope out pretty quick, just wasn't interested.

The only GTAs I got into were Vice City and 4.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Guys, come on. I obviously already played GTA and saint's row. I even played the truly horrible 25 to Life back in the day as well as the 50 cent games

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Oh, and the Def Jam games. Those actually ruled

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom