Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Coreplay Issues Statement in Response to bitComposer Interview

mondblut

Arcane
And yet there are people who bash Obsidian for doing popamole games and say that they should refuse the "bad" contracts.

Are there?

If anything, we might be pissed were Obsidian be peddling the outcome of said bad contracts to us. As in, "from the makers of NWN2 and KOTOR2: awesome Ecco the Dolphin facebook f2p MMORPG". Beyond that, I don't see why would we care how they are scavenging for money, be it shit games, drug trafficking or prostitution, so long as there are still proper RPGs on the radar.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
If you don't have the know-how to make monies without publishers, then you shoudn't refuse "bad contracts", but instead, negotiate the contracts(not in the way CorpsePlay tried mind you).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
They should at least leak the game out as is. Modders will fix it.
Not enough autruistic for the devs. If they were autruistic, they would finish the game as BitComposer intended.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Coreplay is shutting down as in 'we're done making games'? Or Coreplay, the entity that was on the hook with bitComposer, is shutting down, stay tuned for the grand (re)opening of Playcore?

Monty

Arcane
Coreplay is shutting down as in 'we're done making games'? Or Coreplay, the entity that was on the hook with bitComposer, is shutting down, stay tuned for the grand (re)opening of Playcore?
Hopefully. And perhaps the 'Entropy Saga' forums could be hosted here on the Codex?

Branm

Learned
Maybe this is another lame attempt to force the hand of the publisher cause a serious developer would never treat his work like this.
And yet there are people who bash Obsidian for doing popamole games and say that they should refuse the "bad" contracts. And when Coreplay does exactly that(and goes out of buisness), they are unprofessional?

Is not only about one "bad" contract. It's about their work. I don't give a fuck about BitComposer but Coreplay should respect their own work.

After 2-3 years of development, they should have stick with BitComposer and release whatever they had done. Even in a unfinished state (yeah, yeah ... Obsidian)

At least than people could judge them based on something. But now, they burned all the bridges and lost everything just because ... the publisher is evil!?

Great. Coreplay will never develop something again. But they tried. They really tried. I mean *REALLY* tried ... meh. Fuck it.
BitComposer at least tried to negotiate the issue, while dem devs seemed like not wanting to negotiate anything that wasn't on their terms, so as a potential pirate ( :troll: ), i side with the publishers on this one.

Totally agree, Coreplay dropped the ball and them going out of business makes me feel bad for BitComposer ever giving them a shot. Hopefully they have a hard time finding employment in the industry.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
And yet there are people who bash Obsidian for doing popamole games and say that they should refuse the "bad" contracts. And when Coreplay does exactly that(and goes out of buisness), they are unprofessional?

Coreplay didn't refuse their "bad" contract. They signed it and failed to fulfill their contractual obligations (or changed their mind and chose not to fulfill them, with the same outcome). That's a huge difference.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Coreplay is shutting down, that's what we do.
But at least we tried to make a true cRPG.

With your experience, all you and your team needs to do is make a demo of another true rpg and put it up on indiegogo. You will get the funding you need. (or better yet, get someone in America to put it up on Kickstarter for you)

Best of luck! Codex will support you to the hilt. :salute:

Rake

Arcane

Coreplay didn't refuse their "bad" contract. They signed it and failed to fulfill their contractual obligations (or changed their mind and chose not to fulfill them, with the same outcome). That's a huge difference.
I don't believe it's so simple and clear cut. If it was they could just sue coreplay and be done with it or assign the game to another dev.

kaizoku

Arcane
well, technically they can work around that

in any case, they can use IndieGoGo anyway

Cleve should use his codex money $17k! to fund Coreplay

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
About Germany and Kickstarter.. I know the Battleworld Kronos guys used KS, and they're from Germany.

Maybe the Coreplay guys can take some advice from them about how to do it? If crowdfunding is even an option for them, that is...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
About Germany and Kickstarter.. I know the Battleworld Kronos guys used KS, and they're from Germany.

Maybe the Coreplay guys can take some advice from them about how to do it? If crowdfunding is even an option for them, that is...
I remember a sig from Hobglobin that was pretty moral high ground(or sarcastic) against kickstarter. Something like "we don't beg you for you moniez...yet"

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I remember a sig from Hobglobin that was pretty moral high ground(or sarcastic) against kickstarter. Something like "we don't beg you for you moniez...yet"

Shits changed, when you're hungry you gotta do what you gotta do, I'm sure Hobglobin would prefer Kickstarter to working a street corner.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Coreplay are unbelievable dramaqueens, good riddance.

I'm sure we've all been saved the crushing disappointment that would have ensued when the game was released as JA: BiA 2 Fantasy Boogaloo.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I personally still don't agree with using KS to fund the complete development of a game. Loading the risk of failure onto the shoulders of enthusiastic fans, but not sharing the profit is just fundamentally wrong in my book.

However, we tried everything to refund bitComposer their money to make a completion and release of the game possibly. In the meeting at the end of May 2013, we almost had a deal with them. Unfortunately, for some reasons that we still don't know nor understand, bitComposer refused to sign this agreement at the end of the day. Retrospectively, this day was the crucial moment regarding the future of 'Chaos Chronicles'. Meanwhile, I assume that bitComposer just wanted to shift the outcome of this project/investment to the next financial period - that would explain why they were trying to delay a final agreement.

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
So frustrating

But I guess,BitComposer was right not to sign immediatly what you had propose.It's hard to determine what's the "price" of an unfinished project, considering what they invested, what are the prejudices of the breach of the contract, etc etc.Now, business lawyers arrived, and it takes time to examine all the data of this issue.
At this time, did bitComposer has answer to what you had proposed?Perhaps it's not a question of fiscal year?For bC, when does it start/end?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom