Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Nah, even as ruler, you travel with your army. It's why you can die on the battlefield. And why the scurvy exploit works. Do you have a character in your kingdom that you wanna kill? A vassal, heir, or even yourself? Raise levy, add him as commander, load the levy to a ship, set sail to sea, and just park it there. After a couple months, the character will develop scurvy and likely die soon.
Yes, I get that you are with the army. But I'm pretty sure you also count as still in the capital for certain things like disease and assassinations.

thesecret1

Arcane
Nah, even as ruler, you travel with your army. It's why you can die on the battlefield. And why the scurvy exploit works. Do you have a character in your kingdom that you wanna kill? A vassal, heir, or even yourself? Raise levy, add him as commander, load the levy to a ship, set sail to sea, and just park it there. After a couple months, the character will develop scurvy and likely die soon.
Yes, I get that you are with the army. But I'm pretty sure you also count as still in the capital for certain things like disease and assassinations.
Not disease for sure. Not sure about assassination.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I genuinely struggle to understand how they can screw up CK3 so badly. Both the core mechanics and the DLC.
The implementation is bad cause they are mediocre devs and also they are limited by being real time. The direction of the game is driven by casuals and memer streamers, and isn't really a screw up. Selling Sims style "content" which is easily scalable and hard to mess up is good for business. Making good mechanics is hard and doesn't scale well.

None

Arbiter
I saw this too. A great change of pace, but the developer responses are disappointing.

This distinction between mechanics and roleplaying is the problem. Mechanics should enforce roleplay, which in turns enforces the mechanics. Norse characters do Norse things because they are encouraged to, greedy characters are greedy for the same reason, etc. If I have to start playing pretend and ignore the game itself, then there is a mechanic and systems failure. And it looks like the dev responding doesn't understand this.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Axioms watching Paradox fail in delivering a good sequel to Crusader Kings II and thus opening space for when his eternal vaporware CK-killer finally releases:

Hey, at the rate their development process is going I've got at least *10 years* before I have to worry about CK3 not being dogshit.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
No, that definitely puts her there in constantinople. You can in fact do things like spread disease this way. There's a few other instances in which character location is important, I believe you need at least one character in the same province as the target of an assassination plot to get an opportunity, regardless of your plot power. According to the wiki you can also avoid disease by raising an army and leading it somewhere where the plague isn't ravaging. Not sure I fully believe that though, I think as a ruler you might always be considered as occupying your capital unless you're on one of the specific event-based trips that give you a regent.
Taking a page from Medieval 2 huh

Malbrouck

Barely Literate
I spent thousands of hours on CK2 but I can't last a single playthrough in CK3. It's just so ugly and boring.
I don't mind the look of CK3 but you are a million percent right on it being boring, no matter where you are playing each region feels bland and with few exceptions, I wish there was more content to make different regions and cultures feel different, hopefully paradox will do this but who knows, they seems to have forgot what made their older games good. Oh and also CK3 ai sucks, it feels like a downgrade from CK2.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Man I had to stop reading the PDox forums and the subreddit for CK3. CK3 isn't terrible. It is like a 6/10 for roleplay, though +2 of that is just becaue of pretty graphics. But people are acting like their social simulation is good and amazing. The whole roleplay vs strategy argument doesn't make sense because the roleplay is so mid. Even if you accept the premise that some people want more roleplay the roleplay they are getting is just not strong enough to justify that position. How can people be so stupid and have such a deficit of imagination?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Posted a big rant on the r/CrusaderKings subreddit using the example of the impossiblity of replicating even the shadow of Philip II of Macedon's life as my example. CK3 roleplay isn't great. It's dogshit.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Tiax has been banned, along with a slew of lesser Plaza realists, although I haven't found the post he got the hammer for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom