Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I so much fucking hate modernity
Ok, this is deserve retarded rating, but maybe I should be patient and compassionate in spirit of old religions and point out path of enlightenment for you - modernity ended in 20th century both in artistic and socially -economic sense, some say in first half and some say in second. Btw it stated in 16th century, so by saying "I hate modernity" you basically hate several centuries of human history, which in itself is irrational. You hate basically a long dead era, with barely any connection to this game. Or if you imply that previous era was better (era that predated Age of Modernity) - you acting just as stupid as commies who rooting for theirs shitty ideology in spite of obvious fact that communism is failure, in your case it's feudalism though.
Right now I quite pessimistic about CR2077, but it does not mean we should be delusional from despair and blame some abstract construct (like term modernity) for shitty product made by actual living people with brains (well, maybe with brains). For false promises should be blamed CDPR and no one else, for low quality of game CDPR and etc.

I maybe wrong , but this game is bound be a huge fucking scandal in one way or another and CDPR has risk of tarnishing their reputation a bit or even completely fall out of people's grace.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not really sure where did you get that idea, but now I have a feeling that you have no clue what immersive sim is.

It's a malleable term with different people focusing on different aspects, but it's my understanding of what it generally means that causes me to separate the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution as different "levels" of it. My point was, you're not going to have Deus Ex's level of options and emergent gameplay in a modern AAA open world game, but Human Revolution's level is much more feasible. So we... agree, I guess? You can see a very Human Revolution style system in the demos, where you have say a warehouse and you need to get to point A, and you can get there through planned routes via combat, stealth or hacking.

DalekFlay So it was my fault expecting quality RPG and believing to publicly made promises by CDPR in time where amount of trannies per quest is hallmark of good RPG design in eyes of media and AAA devs who slurp any poison that comes from twitter's ass?

I mean, yeah kinda. People set themselves up for disappointment and rage when they expect the world to be different than it's obviously going to be. We're in a time of great incline because of indie games that cater to us like Pathfinder and Gloomwood, but you can't expect AAA games advertised on MTV to be loyal to 70's pen and paper RPGs, no matter what brief PR statements you might read. It's like Lyric Suite thinking the zoomers will ignite a Christian revolution to smite the non-believers... temper your expectations.

Semiurge

Cipher
I didn't expect a 1:1 adaptation, I'm still disappointed with the direction they've gone in though.
Starting with "We want to make an ambitious RPG that's an adaptation of a tabletop setting" and looking at what it is now is frustrating, because it feels like a rerun of Dragon Age 2 era Bioware, just instead of developers outright saying stupid shit like "We want the Call of Duty audience." and that they don't even like how RPGs play, we're seeing it with the decisions they keep making.

That they bit off more than they could chew is as depressing as the possibility that they decided that a deep RPG wasn't worth it when massive early development days hype (thats slowly deflated as more is revealed of the end product) and pandering to all target segments will suffice and make them rich(er).

Nobody has the right talent or experience anymore. Innovation in the industry is fucking dead.

The former innovators (Meier, Molyneux, Miyamoto) are either boomers or gen-x'ers :negative:

Cyberpunk 2077 being a video game adaptation of Cyberpunk 2020 (and therefore not 1:1 translation) was to be expected. That's not the problem. Not sure why people keep bringing up this.

The problem is they keep shedding tabletop elements all the time over time, and for bullshit reasons. Why you can't develop cyberpsychosis (or even some adverse effects)? Not because tabletop elements aren't compatibile with it, but because they don't want player to, because of the story. Same goes for forcing implants on the player. I am of the opinion that this could easily became an achievement - you know, The Meatbag, style one - and 95% of people would still pack enhancements on themselves on their first/second run, because enhancements are cool. Some people would even have to balance the cyberpsychosis aspect. But no, you can't have it. Period.

Strong story and freedom of play are a bit mutually exclusive.

Harthwain

Magister
Strong story and freedom of play are a bit mutually exclusive.
Are they?

There are games that focus very heavily on the story elements (aka choices), but in other games the story elements are largely on a separate layer from the basic gameplay. Usually you need to reach a fixed spot or a certain character in order to trigger them. At this point the only limit is "Can you reach it?" (open the vent, climb the wall, repair the elevator, etc.), but HOW you do it rarely has anything to do with the story itself as such (unless done through some pre-planned "Decision time!" dialogue boxes). So if the story is contained to "narrative points", then there is no reason why players shouldn't have the freedom to play outside of it.

Avarize

Magister
DalekFlay So it was my fault expecting quality RPG and believing to publicly made promises by CDPR in time where amount of trannies per quest is hallmark of good RPG design in eyes of media and AAA devs who slurp any poison that comes from twitter's ass?

Ok, I agree. It was foolish ever expecting anything from CDPR. Their Morrowind was Witcher 1, their Skyrim was Witcher 3. We know what shit comes next. FUCK! I so much fucking hate modernity
Witcher 2 was their best game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Witcher 1 was their best game.

I like Witcher 1, don't get me wrong. I recently replayed it and it was much better than I remembered. However the combat still sucks (sorry JDR13 ) and it can get pretty drawn out and repetitive, especially around the middle. Witcher 2's setup just works much better for me, with hub style areas that are richly designed and combat that while nothing special is at least competent. The story is better in 2 as well. I do like both though.

Witcher 3 annoyed the shit out of me with its open world checklist design, but maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it since I can enjoy those games sometimes. Maybe I'll love it on round 2 someday. Still, give me proper area design like the first two games any day over copy and paste "MASSIVE OPEN WORLD!!11!!!1!!" bullshit.

Latelistener

Arcane
It's a malleable term with different people focusing on different aspects, but it's my understanding of what it generally means that causes me to separate the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution as different "levels" of it. My point was, you're not going to have Deus Ex's level of options and emergent gameplay in a modern AAA open world game, but Human Revolution's level is much more feasible. So we... agree, I guess? You can see a very Human Revolution style system in the demos, where you have say a warehouse and you need to get to point A, and you can get there through planned routes via combat, stealth or hacking.
We agree that we won't have Deus Ex and we agree that we can expect some part of Human Revolution in this game, but I disagree that they are different levels of one thing. In my opinion they are different entities.

I also gave an example of a modern open world game that does emergent gameplay very well (I can think of other games too). It's just that CDP was never into that.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the "gameplay" demonstration will start with a cutscene before moving into generic dialogue choices. then there will be shooty shooty bang bang. then they will talk about all the choices you can make and replay the same mission stealthy wealthy. both will have the same outcome. the gaming press will hail it as revolutionary and very spectacular.

mk0

Learned
the "gameplay" demonstration will be start with a cutscenes. before moving into generic dialogue choices. then there will be shooty shooty bang bang. then they will talk about all the choices you can make and replay the same mission stealthy wealthy. both will have the same outcome. the gaming press will hail it as revolutionary and very spectacular.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
the "gameplay" demonstration will start with a cutscene before moving into generic dialogue choices. then there will be shooty shooty bang bang. then they will talk about all the choices you can make and replay the same mission stealthy wealthy. both will have the same outcome. the gaming press will hail it as revolutionary and very spectacular.
It's still gonna be better than Death Stranding

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's still gonna be better than Death Stranding

I take shits more entertaining and with more cohesive narratives than Death Stranding, so....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom