Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the Epic encounters (or whatever it is called) mod better than those in your list combined.

Honestly, I wish AI in DOS2 was easier to mod, so that someone could finally make a mod that has the AI use "meta" skills and combinations. AI should never use a knockdown arrow if they see I'm at full physical armor, they should be using netherswap and teleport correctly to abuse mass corpse explosion, all the necro combos, apothesis, skin graft etc. It's not fun to get obliterated by an AI character so powerful that a comparable spell of yours just does 200 less damage, but on those very rare occasions where the AI does something genuinely clever, it almost feels like a real chess match.

If you compare the way fights happen in the arena mode (so between 2-8 equally leveled characters controlled by players) and in the game, there's always gonna be a stark difference. And while I don't expect AI to be as creative as a human, the truth is that over the years the game meta has been combed through 900 times over and we now know what is the most effective, but the AI doesn't make use of it at all. That to me is the only serious stain on the game, but I am a fan. It's by no means perfect, but the fact that the AI hasn't been updated to the knowledge unearthed by players is what I find disappointing.

Then again, that disappointment stems from the fact that the devs update the game even now, years after release - they just don't update it to my liking. If they haven't touched it since, my disappointment would probably be lesser.

Link to Epic Encounters?

The first game that somehow accomplishes the seemingly impossible task of coming out with an AI derived from say a tournament of twenty AIs modeled on the play of twenty accomplished players run 10,000 times or whatever will clean up. My guess is that would have already happened but for faceroll requirements from the suits.

robinox

Educated
The "official" respect mirror on Fort Joy is a Gift Bag (mods that Larian has made a an official free add-on). You have to open the Gift Bag menu on-game to activate them.
I managed to activate and use it. Thanks

SoupNazi

Link to Epic Encounters?

The first game that somehow accomplishes the seemingly impossible task of coming out with an AI derived from say a tournament of twenty AIs modeled on the play of twenty accomplished players run 10,000 times or whatever will clean up. My guess is that would have already happened but for faceroll requirements from the suits.

Sorry, correct name is "Random Elite Enemies": https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1522961982

I like that it's highly customizable, so you can change the chance of an elite enemy appearing, change the number of them, their extra skills, and "difficulty" (numbers bloat). It just takes one of the enemies you encounter, sometimes including summons, and randomly assigns them some extra power, health, skills, etc.

The best (and worst) part is that it almost entirely eliminates the abuse of running and getting back to battle, which can sometimes assign elite status again to the same enemy. We had a huge problem getting rid of the salamanders near the wrecked ship in Act 1 because one of them, after running away a few times (we tried to take the fight on a bit too early), ended up with 100 percent immunity to everything :lol:

Best to avoid that, but if it does happen, you can just temporarily disable the mod which removes the "elite enemy" status even from characters who already have it.

Codex Year of the Donut
AI should never use a knockdown arrow if they see I'm at full physical armor,
Are you playing on tactician? I've never seen this happen.
I've seen the AI do some pretty interesting things e.g., washing away poison under my Fane who has the talent that makes his earth skills cost less AP when standing in poison.

SoupNazi

AI should never use a knockdown arrow if they see I'm at full physical armor,
Are you playing on tactician? I've never seen this happen.
I've seen the AI do some pretty interesting things e.g., washing away poison under my Fane who has the talent that makes his earth skills cost less AP when standing in poison.
Of course I am. It happens, same as it happens that the AI rangers will use Skyshot when already on high ground, mages will sometimes use a hydro then a pyro spell or vice versa, etc. Yes, at the same time they'll do something interesting sometimes, and like I said - I'm a fan. The combat is probably the best part of the game and I wish they hadn't cancelled the combat-only sequel they had in the works before they got the license to make a BG game.

I just feel like it could do so much better with a few tweaks. There's a lot of mods that try to alleviate some things, like the mods that make Gwydian not suicidal in the blackpits fight, mods that increase AP cost for cloaking, skingraft and apothesis, etc. But it would be much better if instead the AI was able to use them properly as well, if void slugs didn't spend two turns that you're cloaked healing each other (even after they're at full health) and instead tried to use their skills (if any) to hit your last known location to uncloak you consistently (it sometimes happens, but it feels random).

There's a lot of these small discrepancies and suboptimal skill use, which like I said, don't ruin the game - but the overall quality of the combat system shows you just how much potential there is if they could be improved upon.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
the initiative mod is a clusterfuck unfortunately

Now that I've had time I got back into the game again, and just in time because Odinblade released his own Initiative mod that works much better than the last one:

Initiative-Based Turn Order (DE)

Requires the Norbyte Script Extender to work.

Already updated the OP.
Now someone just needs to add a way to either properly semi-randomize initiative, or rebalance every encounter in the entire game, and that's one issue to cross off the list.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Divinty Unleashed already rebalances the whole game, it's an overhaul for a reason
Also why do you want to randomize initiative?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Divinty Unleashed already rebalances the whole game, it's an overhaul for a reason
Also why do you want to randomize initiative?

It's trivial to stack and first mover is the entire game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I would even say it's essential for any TB fan
It pretty much fixes DOS2 gameplay systems
Also, of all the other mods I posted about, install at least "Initiative-Based Turn Order" along side DU

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
If I ever get around playing this game, should I use Divinity Unleashed or Armor Based Saving Throws mod to bypass some of the dreaded Physical/Magical armor mechanic, or can (should?) they be combined? Or should I just stick to vanilla for a first playthrough?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I ever get around playing this game, should I use Divinity Unleashed or Armor Based Saving Throws mod to bypass some of the dreaded Physical/Magical armor mechanic, or can (should?) they be combined? Or should I just stick to vanilla for a first playthrough?

Frankly always stick with Vanilla for 1st playthrough.

You can make up your mind later if they are needed or not, some people play fine with vanilla system.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Frankly always stick with Vanilla for 1st playthrough.

You can make up your mind later if they are needed or not, some people play fine with vanilla system.

Perhaps, but is ABST mod also savegame compatible with vanilla?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
As always I recommendation goes to Divinity Unleashed
But if you want to try vanilla first that's fine too, specially because DU has full save compatibility - meaning you can install and unnistall it, any time you want with no issues

Does any of these mods fix the itemisation? Because apart from that, the only problem I think it would remain is the shitty story, sadly it seems modders weren't too keen on making new adventures for this game.

Does any of these mods fix the itemisation?

Not that I know of
What a shame

sadly it seems modders weren't too keen on making new adventures for this game.

Pyramid of Shadows

I was commenting on the lack of NEW adventure mods, but I think I will play this one anyways, to see if rekindles my interest for this game. I really wanted to love DOS 2, but it has too many design problems in the way, yet still holds so much potential, stuff that could come to fruition with maybe a total conversion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom