Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 has leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it kind of retarded to play a game you know is shit?

as if that was something new here :M

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
octavius said:
So the Codex is now busily playing a game that has been hailed as utter shit in countless threads?

My time is not very valuable.

Monocause

Arcane
So the Codex again is subject to mass generalisation that is based on fuck all?

That is kinda retarded you know.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I find it ironic that the 'dex says DA2 is shit beyond salvation even with mods, unworthy of anything and yet so many of the members will play it...

Can we add anyone who ever plays DA2 custom tag "Biowhore"?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
dextermorgan said:
7. Ally Relations Are Improved
If you did things your allies didn’t approve of in Origins, they didn’t like you. That wouldn’t be a big deal, except that cool companion missions weren’t available unless your approval was high with the appropriate character. In Dragon Age II, you can do these missions regardless of whether your ally loves or hates you. Instead of gating story content, the approval system now bestows passive bonuses. If a party member is your friend, you’ll get one kind of bonus. If that same character is a rival, you’ll get a different one. This way, you get reward whether you’re nice or mean, plus you still get to do all of the quests. Being neutral, however, still has no advantages.

:retarded:

So, do people actually have to do anything at all, to win the game? Do players get a +12CON bonus for just opening the game box, btw?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jools said:
dextermorgan said:
If you did things your allies didn’t approve of in Origins, they didn’t like you. That wouldn’t be a big deal, except that cool companion missions weren’t available unless your approval was high with the appropriate character. In Dragon Age II, you can do these missions regardless of whether your ally loves or hates you. Instead of gating story content, the approval system now bestows passive bonuses. If a party member is your friend, you’ll get one kind of bonus. If that same character is a rival, you’ll get a different one. This way, you get reward whether you’re nice or mean, plus you still get to do all of the quests. Being neutral, however, still has no advantages.

So, do people actually have to do anything at all, to win the game? Do players get a +12CON bonus for just opening the game box, btw?

more like -12 INT :smug:

Multi-headed Cow

Konjad said:
Why am I not rewarded if I stay neutral? What the fuck? This game sucks.
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REMAIN TOTALLY NEUTRAL IN DRAGON AGE 2
Jools said:
Do players get a +12CON bonus for just opening the game box, btw?
They do if they played the demo. Or spammed people on social networking sites about DA2. Or preordered at a participating retailer for exclusive preorder item DLC. :retarded:

Idiott

Arcane
2w20qom.jpg

Quote from: DA2's awesome writing
Why do they call this a brothel? Does it have something to do with broth?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Konjad said:
Jools said:
dextermorgan said:

more like -12 INT :smug:

You got it wrong, -12 INT is a system requirement. :P

Gondolin

Arcane
This way, you get reward whether you’re nice or mean, plus you still get to do all of the quests.

I think DA2 is a game in whose case the reward for not playing is actually better than the reward for playing. Use your head, bros, and choose the better reward.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
octavius said:
So the Codex is now busily playing a game that has been hailed as utter shit in countless threads?

Nah, they are whining in preparation for the crack to appear. Then the bitching will commence in earnest. It's a hobby, I guess.

Andyman Messiah said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Internet Reaction to AP: SHIT!
Internet Reaction to the same thing in DA2: BETS FEATUREZ EVER!
Yup. Today's gamers in a nutshell.

Got to say. I really enjoyed Alpha Protocoll.

Some lulzy then&now @ http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=49 .

MasterKromm said:
Reading the Gaider interview had me thinking, how did developers view RPGs/games in the not so distant past… So far I've only googled Gaider and permutations of RPG + Console + story + "Predefined Protagonist" + "definition of RPG".

David Gaider said:
http://forums.bioware.com/viewpost.html?topic=449687
You know, I've felt similarly myself. I really liked Final Fantasy VII, and it was one of the first console RPG's that I found I enjoyed.

Since then, however, it seems that Japanese console RPG's have become far more about the cutscenes than about the gameplay. I recently played a console game called "Star Ocean" which was recommended to me, and I was amazed to discover that the entire game was essentially a string of long cutscenes broken up by fights. I wasn't even given any choices… the character I was supposedly playing would make major story decisions on his own and otherwise progress through this plot, and the only time I took control was to guide the party through the world, fighting monsters and trying to find the next cutscene.
I mentioned this issue to the friend who recommended the game to me, and he seemed puzzled by my response. The story was excellent, he said, didn't I appreciate it? As far as he was concerned, Japanese RPG's had stories that were way beyond anything western-style RPG's came up with. I said sure, maybe (if one likes the sort of angsty teen drama that is prevalent in Japanese RPG's, I guess, but that's just taste) but that's what you get when you have a completely predefined protaganist. And it didn't even seem to be much of a game to me… I was reading a book, more or less, and my lack of involvement with the decisions made me entirely disinterested. It was an adventure game with stats and levels, and I wanted an RPG. One that had decisions.

He doesn't need that. He just wants a good story, and if he gets to make a major decision or two it's a bonus. I, meanwhile, need a game where I determine my own fate. I know I'm not playing ME, and in a computer game freedom is a bit of an illusion anyhow, but I want that illusion. When it's done well, it keeps me interested because I'm the one driving the action. Add that to a mature storyline that recognizes that not everyone who plays these games is fifteen years old and still giggles at the sight of a boobie and I'm happy as a clam.

David Gaider said:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=123
1. Let's skip "tell us your name" questions and start with design stuff. What's your definition of RPG? What features or design elements are important to you in an RPG and why? What RPGs, if any, have influenced you or left a strong impression?

Trying to define an RPG is bound to get someone into trouble get any group of RPG fans together and they're not likely to agree on the elements of an RPG that they find most important. So, with the understanding that it's hardly definitive, I'd have to say that I look for two main things:

1. The ability to play a character of my own design, and
2. Having some ability to decide my destiny and how I'd like to go about accomplishing things.

RPG's that don't allow me to create my own character just don't feel very personal to me. I've played many games, as well, that feel too controlling for me they don't give you any options other than, say, occasionally letting you wander around and fight things as well as other games that feel far too open they concentrate more on world simulation world than on maintaining a coherent story. There have been RPG's at either end of that spectrum that I've enjoyed, but I'd say that my ideal is somewhere in the middle of the two. I'd like to receive some direction and feel that there's a plot that's important and providing me an immediate imperative to follow, but I'd also like some freedom to explore and occasionally choose how I'm going to solve a problem on my own, without being left to wander aimlessly or feel overwhelmed.

As far as specific RPG's that have influenced me? Ultima IV was the first game I remember that went beyond having combat being the answer to everything; needing to perform tasks that concentrated on charity and compassion and such in order to become the Avatar was a great feeling. I adored “Darklands” for its setting and system (Dark Fantasy is probably my favorite genre). If anything, I just wish it had offered a little more direction and was less merciless. “Blade of Destiny” offered a lot of things I liked, too its travel system, in particular. There are other games I enjoyed a lot, but those are probably the earliest RPG’s that I was influenced by.

Now I'm curious to see how the opinions of other developers, writers or artists has changed over the past few years.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eagerly looking forward to the Let's Play so I can get the full noninteractive experience served without having to press A for awesome

3192526-man-eating-popcorn-while-watching-movie.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
octavius said:

I won't be sure it's shit unless I've played it 7 times....

Well since I've recently completed Arcania it will be a nice comparison, so I'm actually eagerly awaiting when SKIDROW delivers it to my hardrive.

Black

Arcane
octavius said:

I wouldn't know, too busy playing Guild Wars and Dark Messiah. And X-Com.

Bitcher

Educated
A friend/rivalry system, you say? Oh well, it might just be interesting, but at the moment there's too much talk about associated perks/bonuses and other boring, gameplay bullshit, while the most vital question remains unanswered:

Will there be hate sex? :smug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom