Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 has leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah the werewolf thing WAS one of the better things Bio has done in a long time. So I stand corrected. Xor is correct.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And that part where 'some quests can be resolved peacefully' "

Some NOT all, dumbshitz.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
SPOILERS: Example of retarded C&C in DA2.

Before embarking into the expedition into the Derp Roads, mom goes into a fit if you want to bring Bethany along. Bethany actually wants to go, and help you calm down mom.

Then Hawksome and Beth go into the expedition, kill everything down there, and all is well. On the way back, like, 2 meters from the longed-for exit, a cutscene triggers: Bethany got the blight, and needs to be either abandoned or put down, like Wimpy Wesley at the beginning of the game.

Ok, Bioware, I am retarded and naive so I didn't see this coming. Yet, it comes along as completely gratuitous and un-hinted: Bethany was perfectly fine in the previous cutscene, which happens about 1 day (in the game universe) before that. No (sufficient) focus has been put on the blight previously (apart from Wimpy Wesley Woeful death), nor on the actual dangers of the Derp roads expedition.

Now, the player had been given the choice not to take Bethany to the Derp Roads (altho, not really, it just felt one of the usual conversations against mom's nervous breakdown fits) but, really, this is not C&C. This is just stupid: you can't bring down random, dramatic-wannabe consequences for choices that the player made WAY earlier without giving the player the slightest warning of what might happen during the "choice" part. In this case, more drama/focus should have been put on that conversation where mom asked Beth not to join the expedition, and within that convo more focus on the Derp roads. Instead, it was just mom whining ("like she did 1000 times before" - J. Morrison), so one couldn't really take that conversation too seriously.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Jools said:

Before embarking into the expedition into the Derp Roads, mom goes into a fit if you want to bring Bethany along. Bethany actually wants to go, and help you calm down mom.

Then Hawksome and Beth go into the expedition, kill everything down there, and all is well. On the way back, like, 2 meters from the longed-for exit, a cutscene triggers: Bethany got the blight, and needs to be either abandoned or put down, like Wimpy Wesley at the beginning of the game.

Ok, Bioware, I am retarded and naive so I didn't see this coming. Yet, it comes along as completely gratuitous and un-hinted: Bethany was perfectly fine in the previous cutscene, which happens about 1 day (in the game universe) before that. No (sufficient) focus has been put on the blight previously (apart from Wimpy Wesley Woeful death), nor on the actual dangers of the Derp roads expedition.

Now, the player had been given the choice not to take Bethany to the Derp Roads (altho, not really, it just felt one of the usual conversations against mom's nervous breakdown fits) but, really, this is not C&C. This is just stupid: you can't bring down random, dramatic-wannabe consequences for choices that the player made WAY earlier without giving the player the slightest warning of what might happen during the "choice" part. In this case, more drama/focus should have been put on that conversation where mom asked Beth not to join the expedition, and within that convo more focus on the Derp roads. Instead, it was just mom whining ("like she did 1000 times before" - J. Morrison), so one couldn't really take that conversation too seriously.

Dear Jools,

if you don't take Bethany along she gets taken into the circle by Templars. You can't prevent this.

End of line

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
RK47 said:
Jools said:

Dear Jools,

if you don't take Bethany along she gets taken into the circle by Templars. You can't prevent this.

End of line

LOL, really?

Just adds to the level of retardation and to the mound of lies then.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Oh wow, i just did the quest where you need to find missing templar recruits. :lol: So much choice with a girl in a brothel! It's either "die, bitch" or "templars will have you, bitch". And i am playing pro-mage character, helped Anders and all that. And the quest is mandatory! :lol:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
But if you take Bethany and Anders to the Deep Roads... she will become a Warden.

Jools said:

That's a pretty strict definition of C&C you got there, then. There must be a clear choice, the consequences must be clear and it should happen right before the event.

Not defending DA2, but what are you basing these requirements on?

ortucis

Prophet
I didn't take her with me since it was obvious that they will kill her or dark spawn rape.. I dunno, it's fucking obvious with every decision BioWare throws at you.

So anyways, she surfaces later on and helps you during the fights (and every now and then says a line in cinematics) when you support mages.

Next time I am going to kill them all.. um, next year replay. :roll:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
Jools said:

That's a pretty strict definition of C&C you got there, then. There must be a clear choice, the consequences must be clear and it should happen right before the event.

Not defending DA2, but what are you basing these requirements on?

I didn't explain myself too well I guess. It's not like I want a flashing message on screen "IF YOU CHOOSE THIS DIALOGUE OPTION THIS AND THAT WILL HAPPEN". But in this case, you are faced with a consequence resulting from something that, ages before and forgotten, had no hints of bearing such "grave" (forgive the pun) consequences. And whereas that might still happen both IRL and and is sometimes a good plot device in videogames, I found it to be rather gratuitous and "forced", in this specific case: it just doesn't make much sense in this specific situation, especially because of the way she dies.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Havoc said:
But if you take Bethany and Anders to the Deep Roads... she will become a Warden.
Not sure if serious. Would be cool if it were true though.

DraQ

Arcane
octavius said:
So the Codex is now busily playing a game that has been hailed as utter shit in countless threads?
Isn't it kind of retarded to play a game you know is shit?
Only if you paid for it or are enjoying it.

Man needs to replenish his hate somehow.*
:rpgcodex:

*) Not playing DA2, BTW.
I don't need to.
I hate.
:smug:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Crooked Bee said:
Jaedar said:
Havoc said:
Not sure if serious. Would be cool if it were true though.
It's true, as far as I know. That's an alternative way to save her. C&C!
Is she still unavailable as a player companion for the next bit of the game though? I'm just having a hard time grasping that there might be proper C&C(loss of a party member) in this turd.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Now, the player had been given the choice not to take Bethany to the Derp Roads (altho, not really, it just felt one of the usual conversations against mom's nervous breakdown fits) but, really, this is not C&C. This is just stupid: you can't bring down random, dramatic-wannabe consequences for choices that the player made WAY earlier without giving the player the slightest warning of what might happen during the "choice" part. In this case, more drama/focus should have been put on that conversation where mom asked Beth not to join the expedition, and within that convo more focus on the Derp roads. Instead, it was just mom whining ("like she did 1000 times before" - J. Morrison), so one couldn't really take that conversation too seriously."

FFS Stop your bullshit. Your mother pleads for you not to bring you. You are told the Deep Roads are dangerous. The scene with Wesley at the beginning also hints at the danger of the taint being there. To say there aren't warning signs THAT BAD THINGS MIGHT HAPPEN IF YOU BRING SIBLING WITH YOU IS LAME.

This is one of the best examples of actual C&C in any game.

The fact you feel that choices with consequences should only occur if the game flat out neon red lights warns you that if you do y x will occur of if you do b f will occur is fuckkin' lame.

The fact your mother ran from your uncle's house all the way to Hightown to beg you to not let your daughter go and she doesn't seem too please when you still decide to Bethany with you should tell you it's mroe than just momma being momma - espicially since this is also foreshadowed by initially blaming you for Carver's death at the start.

FFS

I guess they should have put in brackets in the dialogue wheel when you tell her sorry but she's coming: (this decision will very likely kill your sibling... are you sure... you want to change your mind?). FFS You get multiple times in that convo to agree with your mother while Bethany states her case on wanting to go. And, the fact they do throw in a logical way to save her - Anders is a warden and only wardens tend to know a way to slow the taint.

Good on BIO. Good on fukkin' BIO.

Shame on a Codexer who doesn't like TRUE C&C.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
"Now, the player had been given the choice not to take Bethany to the Derp Roads (altho, not really, it just felt one of the usual conversations against mom's nervous breakdown fits) but, really, this is not C&C. This is just stupid: you can't bring down random, dramatic-wannabe consequences for choices that the player made WAY earlier without giving the player the slightest warning of what might happen during the "choice" part. In this case, more drama/focus should have been put on that conversation where mom asked Beth not to join the expedition, and within that convo more focus on the Derp roads. Instead, it was just mom whining ("like she did 1000 times before" - J. Morrison), so one couldn't really take that conversation too seriously."

FFS Stop your bullshit. Your mother pleads for you not to bring you. You are told the Deep Roads are dangerous. The scene with Wesley at the beginning also hints at the danger of the taint being there. To say there aren't warning signs THAT BAD THINGS MIGHT HAPPEN IF YOU BRING SIBLING WITH YOU IS LAME.

The fact you feel that choices with consequences should only occur if the game flat out neon red lights warns you that if you do y x will occur of if you do b f will occur is fuckkin' lame.

The fact your mother ran from your uncle's house all the way to Hightown to beg you to not let your daughter go and she doesn't seem too please when you still decide to Bethany with you should tell you it's mroe than just momma being momma - espicially since this is also foreshadowed by initially blaming you for Carver's death at the start.

FFS

I guess they should have put in brackets in the dialogue wheel when you tell her sorry but she's coming: (this decision will very likely kill your sibling... are you sure... you want to change your mind?). FFS You get multiple times in that convo to agree with your mother while Bethany states her case on wanting to go. And, the fact they do throw in a logical way to save her - Anders is a warden and only wardens tend to know a way to slow the taint.

That's actually a good point.

Dele

Liturgist
I thought it was fairly obvious that she might die if you bring her to derp rodes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
On top of those facts, there's also the fact the entirety of the ch1 plot is the Deep Roads. Everything you do is to get there to make profit to help better your family's standing. How better to hit you where it hurts by soemthing bad happening to your family.

Go to deep roads to help family ends up either costing your family one way or the other.

On top of that both Betrand, and Varric warn you repeatedly how dangerous the DR are. Betrand reminds you just before as well that to expect to see darkspawn stragglers 9since this is just after DA1 Finale) and we all know what curse the darkspawn.

Fukkin' dumbasses not paying attention.

FFS

NERDRAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:

FFS

That's actually a good point.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
I thought the problem with that Bethany thing was how hard the game tries to make you feel about your choice. So much forced drama. Choose to not take her and Bethany throws a fit, choose to take her and she dies and it was somehow all your fault. Even Varric goes "Yeah" when asked if the champion got her sister killed.

Makes sense, right? You're responsible for the deaths of everyone. You're the player. You're doing the choosing. Even though your sister is an adult consenting to come along despite the dangers. Then later on when Bio decides that the player has already felt the effects of their amazing C&C enough it stops being your fault and somehow starts being Bartrand's fault.

What a shitty game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
From your mother's point of view you are the older brother.. so it amkes since she would make the PC responsible in her grief.

Whata fukkin' awesome game.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Volourn said:

Which I said I didn't want, in another post.

Volourn said:

You should really stop having shit for breakfast. It's starting to seep through your every word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom