Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 has leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Arcane
Havoc said:
2. Check the boat in which Hawke came to Kirkwall. There's no fucking way that little shit could take such a long way without damage... fuck damage... they should die in the first storm.

Not to forget that I can't see why it shouldn't stop on the way. Seriously from down there all the way up to the free marches? Shouldn't Fereldans go to Denerim first? Or at least northern Ferelden? But that opens up the next question, why does the darkspawn only attack Ferelden considering the deep roads apparently goes all over the continent?

Oh well, I already compared the game to the phantom menace.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vault Dweller said:
Let's see... Both games are focused on combat, the story and character interaction are only the background for all the killing.

DA2 is not focused on combat.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's quite surprising to see more and more positive opinions about DA2, after all the hate we gave it. It seems we are humans after all, and can make mistakes. :roll: In the end, it will the RPG of the year for codex in 2011.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:
Let's see... Both games are focused on combat, the story and character interaction are only the background for all the killing.

Name couple of quests that don't involve combat in any way.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:

What else is there to do? Explore the countryside? Talk to various characters? Lose yourself in a living, breathing world? Join a faction or two and rise all the way to the top? Talk or stealth your way through the game? Craft your own story, perhaps?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Havoc said:
Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:

Just because there are tons of filler combat everywhere doesn't mean it's the focus of the game. Bioware dumps combat on the player so he has something to do between "immersive" and "cinematic" conversations and to artificially enhance the length of the game.

No, if you want to brand this game IWD style action rpg and therefore strip it of any chance of being anything other than shit because it does not focus on elemens important to IWD style action rpg, i have no problems with that. It will be just as unfair as comparing it to BG2, but, hey it's not me who is fighting for fair "good for what it is" approach.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Hamster said:
Havoc said:
Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:

Just because there are tons of filler combat everywhere doesn't mean it's the focus of the game. Bioware dumps combat on the player so he has something to do between "immersive" and "cinematic" conversations and to artificially enhance the length of the game.

What? :retarded: Now you will tell me that Devil May Cry isn't about making big and cool combos, but about the story of Dante and his brother. Fighting side by side! The combat is only to enchance the length of the supreme dark story of a son of the fucking devil and only happens between immersive and cinematic conversations between characters. The only difference? In DA2 you can chose HOW your character sounds.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
What else is there to do? Talk to various characters? Lose yourself in a living, breathing world? Join a faction or two and rise all the way to the top? Craft your own story, perhaps?

All of the above were clealry intended as strong points of this game. Developers lacking time/budget/talent to do it properly is another question.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hamster said:
Just because there are tons of filler combat everywhere doesn't mean it's the focus of the game.
I also think that the focus is on combat. Why? Because a few instances aside, you solve every problem with fighting. Sometimes you can talk your way out of it, but that's very rare and only available at significant quests. You can't solve problems with stealth for example, you have to fight all the time. There isn't much to explore either.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Havoc said:
What? :retarded: Now you will tell me that Devil May Cry isn't about making big and cool combos, but about the story of Dante and his brother.

Now DA2 and DMC are the same genre? :retarded: Ok, go on, compare big and cool combos of DMC with the ones in DA2.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Hamster said:
Havoc said:
What? :retarded: Now you will tell me that Devil May Cry isn't about making big and cool combos, but about the story of Dante and his brother.

Now DA2 and DMC are the same genre? :retarded: Ok, go on, compare big and cool combos of DMC with the ones in DA2.

First, thanks JC. :smug:
Second, you missed the point. I wasn't comparing DMC to DA2. I was using your logic. If most of the game is repetive combat, the game is focused more on it than the story.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
J_C said:
Hamster said:
Ok, go on, compare big and cool combos of DMC with the ones in DA2.
No need to compare. DMC wins. :smug:
And thats exactly the situation we are trying to avoid with "good for what it is" way, no? To avoid game rendered shit by comparison to something it is not meant to be?

All this just goes to show that "good for what it is" is a way of the derp. In trying to establish what DA2 is we already discovered that some think its DMC styles game and some think it's IWD style of game.

Just comparing it to it's predecessor like i suggested in the beginning would be much easier.

* Yes, you didn't really compare it, i got it. The point is that when everybody is free to choose what the game "is" it turns discussion into a mess.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hamster said:
What IS the focus of the game then? The cutscenes?

No, if you want to brand this game IWD style action rpg and therefore strip it of any chance of being anything other than shit because it does not focus on elemens important to IWD style action rpg, i have no problems with that. It will be just as unfair as comparing it to BG2, but, hey it's not me who is fighting for fair "good for what it is" approach.
What are the elements that IWD was focused on?

Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:
What else is there to do? Talk to various characters? Lose yourself in a living, breathing world? Join a faction or two and rise all the way to the top? Craft your own story, perhaps?

All of the above were clealry intended as strong points of this game. Developers lacking time/budget/talent to do it properly is another question.
Clearly intended? Care to back it up with some arguments?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Another example: Risen and Gothics. It's not about exploring... it's about getting your ass fucked by a pack of flying penises, because you suck at fighting.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
What IS the focus of the game then? The cutscenes?

Cutscenes, dialogues, characters, companions, exploring the city.

Being a focus of the game is not a guarantee from being poorly implemented.

What are the elements that IWD was focused on?
Combat, encounter design, implementing D&D ruleset, loot, great dungeons, player generated party. Obviously different set than in DA2.

Clearly intended? Care to back it up with some arguments?

What, you think that exploring the city of Kirkwall, talking to companions, geting involved in the struggle between Templars and Mages and making some cosmetic choices to the story of Hawke becoming the Champion were not intended as strong points? I think it's pretty obvious that main efforts of developers were directed here.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Let's see... Both games are focused on combat, the story and character interaction are only the background for all the killing. The difference between DA and DA2 is the same as the difference between BG and IWD. While combat plays a large role in all these games, DA and the BG games offer more than just combat, whereas in games like DA2 and IWD,"

Are you fukkin' on crack? Seriosuly, are you on fukkin' crack. To claim that DA2 ahs more in common with IWD2 than DA1 or BG2 is plain bullshit. Plain 'ol fukkin' bullshit.

The focus isn't actually on combat. The story pushes the game forward not the combat. Combat is used in DA2 the same way it is in DA1 or BG2 or any other story focused RPG.

Also, btw, IWD is NOT an action rpg. It's a rpg. Just like the Gb games. Except the focus in the GB games as opposed to other RPGs like PST, BG2, or FO is the focus is on combat ie. dungeon crawl.

GB and IWD = action focused dungeon crawl but still RPG

BG2, DA1, DA2, and PST = story focused rpg

FO & ARC = c&c fcoused RPG

ES series = exploration fcoused RPG

BL + ME1 +ME2+ JE + G series + Dseries = Action RPGs that fcous on different things

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, ok, how about that: DA2 is partialy focused on combat, but the focus is not as strong as in pure action rpgs. Dialogue, story, gameworld and companions are also playing a big role?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Volourn said:
The focus isn't actually on combat. The story pushes the game forward not the combat.

Wow, Volourn just said something that makes perfect sense. In IWD you go to the next dungeon because you want more combat and more interesting dungeons, in DA2 you go into combat to see what happens next in the story.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" why does the darkspawn only attack Ferelden considering the deep roads apparently goes all over the continent?"

The latesta rchdemon was found in Feralden Deep Roads hence why it ttargets Feralden. Earlier archdemons I think taregted elsewhere - hence why the wardens are everywhere.

Feralden just got picked on first this time, and outr Warden was fukkin' awesome and took doen the archdemon quicker than it usually takes so it couldn't spread itself elsewhere.

R00fles!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Ok, my final argument before i go to sleep. Yes, i was wrong to claim combat is not a focus of DA2. But no matter how much combat there is, the reason we are going trough it is to see what comes next is the story. Because no matter the ammount of combat, DA2 is still a story-driven game and cannot be braned as just an action-rpg.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dialogues play a role when they serve a purpose other than letting you know whom to kill. For example, in some games dialogues help you explore the world (not talking about cutscenes here), learn more about characters, gather additional info, discover and take alternative paths and story branches. DA2 does none of that.

The story of the Champion (sigh) is set in stone (or appears to be so far). You don't change your own story, but you can affect some people around you (not sure in what way yet). You're not even living the story. You're re-enacting the combat parts in it, moving from one cutscene to another. I like the low-key approach, but it hardly makes it one of the game's stronger points.

Companions play the same role as any party members do, they go where you click and attack monsters on sight. Again, hardly an important role.

I guess what you're trying to say is that the setting, story, and characters make the game worth playing and somewhat enjoyable, but the same applies to the IWD games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom