Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dark Heart of Uukrul Discussion Thread

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So there are secret doors that can only be revealed by the Talis spell, and don't surrender to manual searching, are there? I wonder how many of those I've missed...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Are there rooms that simply cannot be escaped from? I am stuck without recourse.
There are some rooms where you need to use that recall amulet that you can find every new sanctuary after URRAN.
EDIT: Medal of Escape!

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Are there rooms that simply cannot be escaped from? I am stuck without recourse.
There are some rooms where you need to use that recall amulet that you can find every new sanctuary after URRAN.
EDIT: Medal of Escape!
Eh? I haven't received any medals upon reaching new sanctuaries. In fact I've only found a single one this entire playthrough. I wish I hadn't used it for no good reason, thinking it was multiple-use...
Anyway, I ended up restoring a save game. Didn't lose too much progress in the end.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Eh? I haven't received any medals upon reaching new sanctuaries. In fact I've only found a single one this entire playthrough. I wish I hadn't used it for no good reason, thinking it was multiple-use...
As far as I remember, every time you reach new sanctuary, there is another medal in the place where you have found first one.
Anyway, I ended up restoring a save game. Didn't lose too much progress in the end.
Glad to hear.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
As far as I remember, every time you reach new sanctuary, there is another medal in the place where you have found first one.
Hmm, I distinctly remember going back there and receiving a message to the effect of 'this place is empty right now'. Anyway, it doesn't matter at this point, because I'm lost in the Chaos with no teleporter in sight :mixedemotions:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Chaos is the only CRPG level that has defeated my mad mapping skills.
It didn't take me too long to figure out the layout, but I don't think mapping it is possible. You'd end up with an indecipherable mess, I would think. I gave up pretty quickly, at any rate. I also couldn't manage to figure out the teleport puzzle, and ended up solving it through trial and error. Neither Crooked Bee's LP nor the GameFAQs walkthrough has the solution, so this will remain one of the game's unsolved mysteries, I suppose. Unless Fowyr knows?
Edit: CRPG Addict's comment on the puzzle:
Aside from navigation--complicated by spinners and automatic teleporters--the puzzle wasn't too hard. Messages on the walls clued me into the solution.
That's useful...

The latch "puzzle" was a piece of cake in comparison.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Sorry, I can't remember now, so it is probably trial and error. It reminds me about that teleport puzzle from The Summoning where I made a map by dropping items on the floor.
EDIT: Just saw your edit. Neat!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Yeah, I'm sure there is a proper solution, and I did find all the clues, but I still couldn't figure it out. It's not important now, it just bothers me that I don't know.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I'm sure there is a proper solution, and I did find all the clues, but I still couldn't figure it out. It's not important now, it just bothers me that I don't know.

Ask the CRPG Addict. If he hasn't forgotten it.

I didn't figure it out either. More like trial and error.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How are you supposed to play with a custom party? Every time I select Play the Game from the main menu, it gives me the premade party and dumps me at the beginning of the game. The only way I was able to save any progress was by using the premade party.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
How are you supposed to play with a custom party? Every time I select Play the Game from the main menu, it gives me the premade party and dumps me at the beginning of the game. The only way I was able to save any progress was by using the premade party.
From the main menu screen, you need to Generate a party before you Play the game. If that doesn't work, you might need to reset the game in the Utilities menu first.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
From the main menu screen, you need to Generate a party before you Play the game. If that doesn't work, you might need to reset the game in the Utilities menu first.
I've done that. My progress is always gone the next time I launch the game.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I've done that. My progress is always gone the next time I launch the game.
OK, I messed around with it for a bit, and it seems that the multiple party functionality doesn't work, or else it's invoked in a way that's not immediately obvious. If you name your party GAME you should be fine.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You are aware that you can only save your game when visiting a sanctuary? If you haven't reached one before you exit, you will have to restart.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Couple of days ago I began to play DHoU and now I completely stuck. I'm in the area after URLUSAM (High Vaulted Ceilings) and can't move forward with my 4th level party. Almost every encounter with Gray/Black Orc results in TPK, fighters are almost useless, they deal around 20 damage and miss often, priest failes with RALKOR pretty often and mage need 3-4 spells and a lot of energy to kill one enemy. Random encounters happen almost every time I Search a square and properly exploring a simple room turns into 2-3 encounters and TPK highly likely. Do I miss something? Or I need to grind previous level extensively to gain 5-6 level?

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
4th level sounds a little low. You will definitely get stuck at the area past the next sanctuary (URRAN) if you're struggling here. You should be using TALIS in lieu of searching every tile, and if you don't have the Copper ring of Knowledge yet, you should go back.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Couple of days ago I began to play DHoU and now I completely stuck. I'm in the area after URLUSAM (High Vaulted Ceilings) and can't move forward with my 4th level party. Almost every encounter with Gray/Black Orc results in TPK, fighters are almost useless, they deal around 20 damage and miss often, priest failes with RALKOR pretty often and mage need 3-4 spells and a lot of energy to kill one enemy. Random encounters happen almost every time I Search a square and properly exploring a simple room turns into 2-3 encounters and TPK highly likely. Do I miss something? Or I need to grind previous level extensively to gain 5-6 level?
Where you're at is by far the most combat-intensive section of the game, and also the hardest (in terms of combat; later sections will be hard in other ways). There's not much you can do other than making sure your party is properly equipped and ajour on rings. This area's also one of the largest, and there's no need to visit every square of it. Most of the side rooms just contain generic treasure IIRC.

There's no need to grind at any point.

EldarEldrad

Savant
TALIS seems to burn a LOT of psychic energy per square, it is 8 as manual says and my mage has only ~35. I am equirred with all rings that circles give me (iron/ some copper) and my fighters has 15-19 armor.

------

Oh, I've got how TALIS worked, that is still a lot of energy wasted but resting frequently can solve it.

Last edited:

EldarEldrad

Savant
Ok, I continue to move through caverns, my party is now level 5 but sometimes my mage or priest becomes one-shotted by Shrieking Bird or Black Orc. I've realised that you can exit DosBox if battle goes south and then restart game and battle will be restarted with another set of enemies. It can be useful if game creates unpassable encounter.

Generally, I understand why game is unpopular now, cool features and atmosphere coexist here with awful design decisions.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
IDK. In my experience enemies almost never go for the priest or magician. Pretty soon your priest is going to start steamrolling the combat.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Fleeing battles is easy and useful, by the way. Something to keep in mind. It sure beats savescumming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom