Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can summon anyone via password. As far as 'in the wild' summons invasions it's limited by both level and gear upgrades.

How would you rate this game from 1 to 10?
10/10 muh miyazaki perfection

i think i will wait and see what comes with those two dlcs and what will be changed with patches. Like DS2 itmight be very different game from vanila experience. I hope for more shit about Deep, Serpents/Angels, Profaned Flame, Aldia&Drangleic, oceiros & lothric royal family. Right now easily the most consistent game quality-wise but does not have themost fresh ideas altough some bosses are fuckng perfect and top the best old ones like Artorias or O&S

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's weird, while I was playing the game I had a fucking blast. But after finishing all I can think of is everything that's sloppy, lazy, unfinished and soulless about this game.

I'm more and more certain Miyazaki absolutely didn't want to make a third DS but indulged his bosses who wanted muh moni (AZNs in general take hierarchy and obedience way more seriously than us). Game comes across as if he hated working on it, didn't have fun at all and just went through the motions to put out a somewhat respectable, solid product. But there's absolutely no love in this game, no soul, no quirky new ideas, no little touches or interesting concepts the previous Souls games were full of.

On the Steam forum someone said From just pulled Ubisoft - milking an inovative, interesting IP till it's completely dry and empty and nobody buys it anymore. With AssCreed Ubi could get away with millions of sequels because it's largely a mass market product and mainstream players aren't exactly choosy (but they caught up eventually). DS is way more niche though, with much more passionate community and their patience for bullshit like that will quickly evaporate.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's why I always say that not every good or successful game needs to be turned into a series. Sometimes something good is fine as its own thing and respectfully left at that.

Malpercio

Arcane
That's why I always say that not every good or successful game needs to be turned into a series. Sometimes something good is fine as its own thing and respectfully left at that.

Indeed.

People also want a BB2, but to me BB always felt a pretty self-realized product.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Indeed.

People also want a BB2, but to me BB always felt a pretty self-realized product.

I know. I love Bloodborne, it's easily my favorite Souls-type game by From, but I don't think we need a BB2. Whenever people finish a good game these days they immediately scream for a sequel like gluttons instead of appreciating what they already have.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Wouldn't be so bad if they made different Souls-like games instead of turning Dark Souls into a franchise - in this sense, Bloodborne was the right idea. DS2 and DS3 didn't really gain much from being sequels - rather, the legacy weighed them down rather than providing a solid base to build on.

Tell me with a straight face that a Zweihander is as effective in PvE as a straight sword or Estoc. Go on.
Tell me with a straight face that a Mailbreaker is as effective in PvE as a Butcher Knife or a large club.

I won't, because it's not? What does the Mail Breaker have to do with anything? I was talking about straight swords and the Estoc specifically. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if all the other thrusting swords were good as well, but I haven't tested.

Whatever point you're trying to make here, your examples don't really serve it well, I feel, as both the Butcher Knife and the Large Club are quite fast for their size and damage, which is why they actually work decently in DS3 PvE. There's a very big difference between a UGS and the Butcher Knife, at the very least.

Not all weapons are equal. Zwei is a pretty shit weapon this time around; stats are tighter, less extra points to spend on cranking dex and str at the same time to make it do OP damage early on. Moveset is worse too. Doesn't mean there aren't other decent heavy weapons or shitty light ones. I'm just glad rapiers were decent this time around in pve. Playing the first three games with big two handed weapons that pancake everything from outside attack range got old.

Well, I was replying to Perkel, who seems to think it's awesome. In any case, while Zwei was really overpowered in DS1, you couldn't really pancake enemies with heavy weapons in DS2 - best you could do is knock them down with some attacks. I certainly don't recall my many hours of playing DS2 with heavy weapons to have been a complete cakewalk.

Tell me with a straight face that a Zweihander is as effective in PvE as a straight sword or Estoc. Go on.

I am telling you with straight face that Zweihander is effective in PvE as well. Currently playing few chars at once (where one is twohanded/zwei)

here you have me fighting frosty dude before road of sacrefices. With longsword i had problems with him but here zweihander did mince meat out of him (especially charged R2 attack which took most of his health away) fatrolling no less.

http://s1.webmshare.com/DA5Qx.webm

Overall Zwei isn't as powerful as it was in DS1 but still has terrific range and its R1 sweeps in pvp usually land even when someone rolls.

Also how do you know if something is normal attack r2 and charged r2 hmm ? Because when you play with someone the moment he starts attack you need to roll or you will be late.

Which is why it is effective. Because you don't need to charge it all the way. Just a bit so iframes will wear off.

So your example is a very messy fight against the Outrider Knight where you very nearly die? That's how it looked when I killed it the first time as well. Second time around, with a straight sword, I don't think I even took any damage...

Honestly bro, refusing to admit the superiority of straight swords just makes you look like a blind fanboy. It's something that's fairly obvious to anyone who played the game for a while. I was watching a speedrunner yesterday on twitch and when asked about this in chat, he basically said "Yeah, straight swords rule supreme, need a nerf". And indeed, current speedrunning strats use straight swords (and the starting Estoc) exclusively.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Don't they use straight swords mostly so they can use the one that scales off luck? I actually haven't seen what route they use really, but I know at least one route involves beelining for that weapon. Though I honestly expect it to change a lot once people get better at the game, would make much more sense to kill dancer early with bleeds and leverage the early soul/titanite advantage into quick kills later.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Anri's sword scales with luck. But a lot of people use the Astora straight sword since it appears to have a greater damage output over just about every other straight sword in the game. Using a raw gem can boost it even higher I'm told. But I haven't tested it.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It's weird, while I was playing the game I had a fucking blast. But after finishing all I can think of is everything that's sloppy, lazy, unfinished and soulless about this game.

I'm more and more certain Miyazaki absolutely didn't want to make a third DS but indulged his bosses who wanted muh moni (AZNs in general take hierarchy and obedience way more seriously than us). Game comes across as if he hated working on it, didn't have fun at all and just went through the motions to put out a somewhat respectable, solid product. But there's absolutely no love in this game, no soul, no quirky new ideas, no little touches or interesting concepts the previous Souls games were full of.
It just kinda feels like it was a game made with absolutely nothing but pleasing the long-term fantards with shitty throwbacks to the first and second game in mind, with a couple interesting areas, most of which just came from the cut design artwork and assets from Bloodborne, and a frustrating and badly thought-out new combat system ripped from a game that was actually designed with fast-paced action in mind.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd rate this lower or higher than vanilla Dark Souls 2 at this point. That looked awful, the environments were boring, and the bosses were almost all terrible, but at least that tried to do something new and intersting with the setting. This just feels like they're throwing up their hands and saying "We can make anything and you morons will buy it, solely because it caters to your shitty memes and nostalgia for the first game".

Villagkouras

Arcane
Anri's sword scales with luck. But a lot of people use the Astora straight sword since it appears to have a greater damage output over just about every other straight sword in the game. Using a raw gem can boost it even higher I'm told. But I haven't tested it.

I used ASS until the end of my first playthrough. No, I infused it with raw and it lost a fraction of its damage. I used a shriving stone at once.

Perkel

Arcane
So your example is a very messy fight against the Outrider Knight where you very nearly die? That's how it looked when I killed it the first time as well. Second time around, with a straight sword, I don't think I even took any damage...

Reason why i took those last 2 hits is because i wanted to get those hits. Because after those/next hit/s he would be open to attack and i could kill him.

I had good armor so there was no reason to continue that fight where i could get job done quicker.

only messy thing about it is that first shot. I simply forgot he can do that at start of fight.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Don't they use straight swords mostly so they can use the one that scales off luck? I actually haven't seen what route they use really, but I know at least one route involves beelining for that weapon. Though I honestly expect it to change a lot once people get better at the game, would make much more sense to kill dancer early with bleeds and leverage the early soul/titanite advantage into quick kills later.
When I checked the top speedrun last week (might be a different one now) he used astora straight sword+boss appropriate resins at first, then Anri's+Carthus rouge.

But yeah. Scalings in this game are pretty weird as well. There's like 4 weapons that naturally have B+ scaling when not infused/upgraded.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I beat the "last boss", so wanted to dick around a little with boss souls and boss weapons.

Except that little throne sitting fucker is gone now.

So I guess I am done, fuck NG+.

Zep--

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
you still can make the weapons at the throne. just "examine" it and the menu will pop up.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I beat the "last boss", so wanted to dick around a little with boss souls and boss weapons.

Except that little throne sitting fucker is gone now.

So I guess I am done, fuck NG+.

Zep--

Calling bullshit.. if you gave him the kiln while he was alive you can still get the weapons by going to the throne.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Having finished my second playthrough with the intent of doing things in as different of an order as possible, it's pretty clear just how half-assed the sequence breaking is. For one, even if you kill Emma and Dancer (and Dragonslayer Armor, Oceiros and Champion Gundyr, in my case) before killing all the Lords of Cinder, you'll still get her dialogue and be teleported to the room, which makes no fucking sense if she's dead. Second thing is at the entrance to the Grand Archive, the door is closed, but when you kill the three Lords, a key magically appears on a body next to the bonfire. If I had actually done all this without knowing the expected sequence, I'd be looking all over for the Archive key.

Mystary!

Arcane
Anyone playing with the pontiff knight sword? I love the moveset but the scalings and the damage seem so shitty, it can't be infused/buffed, it uses twinkanite and it doesnt even have any cool effects on normal hits.

Sounds like you want the Carthus Curved Sword, same moveset but can be infused/buffed and upgrades with normal titanite.
Need to farm the Catacombs for it thou.

Mozg

Arcane
Did Bamco have some kind of multigame deal option with From that "forced" them to put out more Dark Souls games? Do they own the IP etc? Bandai-Namco is publically traded so I assume it's knowable info. I know that Bandai-Namco only handles the international publishing.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Tell me with a straight face that a Mailbreaker is as effective in PvE as a Butcher Knife or a large club.

I won't, because it's not? What does the Mail Breaker have to do with anything? I was talking about straight swords and the Estoc specifically. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if all the other thrusting swords were good as well, but I haven't tested.

Whatever point you're trying to make here, your examples don't really serve it well, I feel, as both the Butcher Knife and the Large Club are quite fast for their size and damage, which is why they actually work decently in DS3 PvE. There's a very big difference between a UGS and the Butcher Knife, at the very least.

Not all weapons are equal. Zwei is a pretty shit weapon this time around; stats are tighter, less extra points to spend on cranking dex and str at the same time to make it do OP damage early on. Moveset is worse too. Doesn't mean there aren't other decent heavy weapons or shitty light ones. I'm just glad rapiers were decent this time around in pve. Playing the first three games with big two handed weapons that pancake everything from outside attack range got old.

Well, I was replying to Perkel, who seems to think it's awesome. In any case, while Zwei was really overpowered in DS1, you couldn't really pancake enemies with heavy weapons in DS2 - best you could do is knock them down with some attacks. I certainly don't recall my many hours of playing DS2 with heavy weapons to have been a complete cakewalk.
I mean, my point seemed pretty clear. Estoc happens to be one of the best weapons in the game. Using it as an example of light weapons being viable, then cherrypicking the zweihander is the same as what I just did from the other side of the fence. No sense comparing shitty weapons to good weapons, compare the best weapons in both categories.

I mean, the large club literally knocks down enemies (I don't see why that is different from 'pancake' since you get an infinite combo either way but whatever...) that you didn't even hit with your swing. It's insane vs light enemies. Vs the ones that have a ton of hyperarmour, yeah, less so, but those enemies are the ones that are easy to bait anyways. They have hyper armour because they have huge predictable windups. And the advantage vs enemies with shields is there too, the first hit puts them off balance even while blocking, so you can get guaranteed safe kills on them by doing the same thing every time.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Did Bamco have some kind of multigame deal option with From that "forced" them to put out more Dark Souls games? Do they own the IP etc? Bandai-Namco is publically traded so I assume it's knowable info. I know that Bandai-Namco only handles the international publishing.

I believe Dark Souls 3 was being worked on before Miyazaki became President, so presumably he didn't want to just scrap all the work they'd done. Had Miyazaki been President this whole time, we probably would have gotten two completely different games instead of Dark Souls 2 and 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom