Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Perkel

Arcane
People say infuse element is garbage when finished my first playtrough with firelongsword and it worked well for whole game.

I mean in few places it completely was better than any kind of other element or raw because monsters in DS3 hate fire. Slugs, skeletons undead dogs and shitload of other annoying stuff just dies when you attack with with fire infusion.

On other hand dark infussion works reallyreally really well on humanlike monsters like lothric knights etc and it is my go to infusion when i want to kill something really bad early.

DS2 way of doing elemental was just making it viable on everything which imo is frankly boring and to sawyerist aproach.

Didn't test lighting though but i think it has lowest resistances to counter when we are talking about shields.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
So I'm trying to do some fight club shit. I throw down a red or purple sign outside The Pontiff...and all I seem to get are 3-4 on 1 gank squads.

WTF?

Help me Codex! How do I fight club?

Zep--

sullynathan

Arcane
fuck, I'm just going to stop playing this game until poise is patched back in. Black knights are raping me and this invader pissed me off with this katana bullshit.

polo

Magister
So I'm trying to do some fight club shit. I throw down a red or purple sign outside The Pontiff...and all I seem to get are 3-4 on 1 gank squads.

WTF?

Zep--
Same here, even when i invade, rarely i find someone alone.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Two best spots are outside the pontiff (I get a lot of fight clubs there, don't drop your sign, just invade) and the kiln of the first flame, which was mostly people wanting to duel and the occasional faggot squad of like 5 guys trying to beat the boss. Good place to drop a red sign too, because there are very few there, while the fight club spot is covered in them.

I like fighting in the kiln way better. The terrain makes things much more interesting, instead of the flat areas that just favour wide swings, vertical slashes have a lot of utility on the slopes. Also, being summoned by your sign means you can at least be kindled for the fight, so it's fair if neither of you are using estus.

Been fucking around with washing pole lately. Pretty OP. Huge range, best damage on a katana, bleeds just as well as anything else honestly. Durability is obviously a non issue. Skillset on it is really nice too, all sorts of moves. I particularly like the running r1 stab (fuck huge range with that sword) and the rolling r2, which keeps you crouched low while you charge it, so you can bait some serious mistakes by using it do duck under a horizontal swipe and counter with a full swing.

Re. fire infusion- yeah it's great vs things weak to it, and most enemies have garbage defense anyways so split damage isn't that big a deal. But you could also kill those same enemies with pine resin or firebombs, or hell even just a torch. In pvp you'd have been fucked by your low damage.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex

WTF?

Zep--

If you want to duel, you summon one into your game. If you want to fightclub, you summon a few people into
your game and hope they dont rape you.
What these dudes are doing is simply easy ganks, summon one guy into a game where they have 3 phantoms.

Same here, even when i invade, rarely i find someone alone.

The game favors invasions against multiple guys, if there is a game with more than 1 guy you will get into this one.

Murk

Arcane
What all weapons have you all settled on? So far I haven't found anything I love. I'm not a big fan of super heavy weapons, though regular greatswords are ok. So far been using curved swords and daggers (bandit knife and the corvian great knife.)

The upgrade quantities are a bit weird. Why didn't they just use 1/2/3 and make them less common is beyond me. They seem to have a thing for needlessly complicating what ought to be a simple enough system.

I may also need to farm the grave wardens for their twin curved swords. So far, I'm not sure how I feel about the dual wield concept and how you can't two hand that weapon.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Why didn't they just use 1/2/3 and make them less common is beyond me.
Granularity. If they made them less common then they'd have to remove a bunch of drop points entirely. By making them 2/4/6 they can do things like have two different spots with 1 piece each, so you have to explore more to upgrade at that point in the game, instead of just happening to be in the right place where the only twinkling titanite was, vs the guy who went the other way or got less lucky with drops and is now an entire weapon level behind.

Haven't really settled on anything in particular. If I had to pick a favourite, it'd be the katana, but I'm not a fan of the bleed mechanic. I wish there was a katana that didn't cause bleed and couldn't be buffed, but simply had higher raw AR. Doubt something like that will happen though. In DS1 I loved the crescent axe (though it was garbage for pvp) and DS2 had that cool whip sword in the dlc. Haven't found anything like that in DS3 yet. I really like the movesets on a lot of the boss weapons (projectiles are fun!) but... split damage makes them meh for pvp. Haven't given the halberds a try in pvp yet, that might be decent. Though they seem to have much shittier movesets than the old glaive type halberds (like the black knight halberd) in DS1 I was fond of.

Mystary!

Arcane
I like all of the axes. Especially the normal sized ones because they have close to 360• horizontal swings - even wider I think? - so you never have to worry about aiming at shit that jumps around a lot.
The great ones are awesome aswell, only has narrow vertical swings but even if you miss there's a shockwave that still staggers, and they're fast enough to stunlock.

Murk

Arcane
Why didn't they just use 1/2/3 and make them less common is beyond me.
Granularity. If they made them less common then they'd have to remove a bunch of drop points entirely. By making them 2/4/6 they can do things like have two different spots with 1 piece each, so you have to explore more to upgrade at that point in the game, instead of just happening to be in the right place where the only twinkling titanite was, vs the guy who went the other way or got less lucky with drops and is now an entire weapon level behind.

I guess, but enemies drop regular shards quite frequently...

Haven't really settled on anything in particular. If I had to pick a favourite, it'd be the katana, but I'm not a fan of the bleed mechanic. I wish there was a katana that didn't cause bleed and couldn't be buffed, but simply had higher raw AR. Doubt something like that will happen though. In DS1 I loved the crescent axe (though it was garbage for pvp) and DS2 had that cool whip sword in the dlc. Haven't found anything like that in DS3 yet. I really like the movesets on a lot of the boss weapons (projectiles are fun!) but... split damage makes them meh for pvp. Haven't given the halberds a try in pvp yet, that might be decent. Though they seem to have much shittier movesets than the old glaive type halberds (like the black knight halberd) in DS1 I was fond of.

Man, prenerf ds2 puzzling stone sword was the best weapon ever. The tracking on it was beyond retarded good, and it always broke poise when 2handed, and was fast as fuck. God I miss that weapon.

I like typically faster weapons, but seeing how shit like the estoc is used just makes me frown. Damn shame cuz the assassin is a legit fun starting class due to spook, but I feel a little dirty with a meme weapon + parry spammers delight. I legitimately enjoyed using spook, more so than I did any other specific thing in the game so far.

I've been using the Irythill straight sword and a handaxe as well. Nothing fancy with those, necessarily, but they're fun and cool. The lothric knight sword was good but I couldn't help but feel that it was slower than some of the other straight swords. I am hoping there's a nice mid range weapon that feels comfortable. So far I think I'm not enjoying pvp much because I don't like the movesets all that much.

edit: do we have confirmation on damage reduction and that split is in fact bad? IE, double reduction?

Damned Registrations

It's funny, for all the bestoc meming, I haven't actually seen anyone use one in ages. Everyone is using some giant two hander, lots of dragon axes/spears. Lightest weapons I ever get to see are the dark sword or paired weapons. The occasional straight up longsword as well. No rapiers or estocs though, or painting guardian swords.

sullynathan

Arcane
I beat the stray demon on the bridge on the third try and the black knight on like my 6th try. I swear, enemies with delayed attacks are my bane. It doesn't help that this black knight was super aggressive and took half my health in each hit. The area with the stray demon was very rewarding, lots of crystal lizards and I got havels ring and the dragon crest shield.

Murk

Arcane
It's funny, for all the bestoc meming, I haven't actually seen anyone use one in ages. Everyone is using some giant two hander, lots of dragon axes/spears. Lightest weapons I ever get to see are the dark sword or paired weapons. The occasional straight up longsword as well. No rapiers or estocs though, or painting guardian swords.

I see quite a few, especially early on (tho this is more understandable as weapon choice is limited if you want to do some SL 30 action without going farther into the game.)

I also have latent frustration with bestoc form DS 2. It was always used by people who I'd describe as dull and the same. I think the unique/gimmick attacks a lot of the later game weapons offers gives people fun stuff to mess with, and with healing you can afford to dick around in PVP. The other thing is that right now everyone is playing the game, but after a few months it'll settle to the autists (like myself and of the /dsg/ and r/ds3 variety) who, no doubt, will have their own submeta they run with.

typical user

Arbiter
What all weapons have you all settled on? So far I haven't found anything I love. I'm not a big fan of super heavy weapons, though regular greatswords are ok. So far been using curved swords and daggers (bandit knife and the corvian great knife.)

The upgrade quantities are a bit weird. Why didn't they just use 1/2/3 and make them less common is beyond me. They seem to have a thing for needlessly complicating what ought to be a simple enough system.

I may also need to farm the grave wardens for their twin curved swords. So far, I'm not sure how I feel about the dual wield concept and how you can't two hand that weapon.

I unfortunately chose Onikiri and Ubadachi which required me to play entire game so up until that point I used Uchigatana and switched to Black Blade halfway to Pontiff Sulyvahn (or whatever is his name). If you like fast weapons then you should try out katanas. They are versatile with their lunge/parry weapon arts, quick, good AR and can be used for luck/bleed builds, quality or in some cases for split damage int/fth builds.

I still haven't settled on my build if I want to go 45str/45dex or respec to dex/luck because I like to throw kukri or two at some enemies and with paired katanas I should be able to proc blood loss more often. I am also thinking about pyro/sorc build because I am usually two-handing katanas and I would like to use my offhand for some spell-buffs.

About two-handing paired weapons: you trade ability to block/parry for more effective poise-breaks and ability to stack status effects quicker with multiple strikes, at least I think so because I am no expert.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just beat the abyss watchers after five tries. These guys are a huge clusterfuck. I was surprised with their ability to cross the whole damn arena with one attack. I swear, if I actually had poise, I would have killed this guy much easier. He wouldn't have stunned me nor would my attacks be stopped half-way. The abyss watchers were so erratic, and got my blood boiling. It's like FROM attempted to make Artorias 2.0 with far more spectacle but forgot what made Artorias great. These guys are easily damaged but at the same time, they have long combos if you get too close.
It wasn't a bad boss but I was expecting more after watching videos by other people.

Murk

Arcane
I unfortunately chose Onikiri and Ubadachi which required me to play entire game so up until that point I used Uchigatana and switched to Black Blade halfway to Pontiff Sulyvahn (or whatever is his name). If you like fast weapons then you should try out katanas. They are versatile with their lunge/parry weapon arts, quick, good AR and can be used for luck/bleed builds, quality or in some cases for split damage int/fth builds.

I still haven't settled on my build if I want to go 45str/45dex or respec to dex/luck because I like to throw kukri or two at some enemies and with paired katanas I should be able to proc blood loss more often. I am also thinking about pyro/sorc build because I am usually two-handing katanas and I would like to use my offhand for some spell-buffs.

About two-handing paired weapons: you trade ability to block/parry for more effective poise-breaks and ability to stack status effects quicker with multiple strikes, at least I think so because I am no expert.

I played with the uchi but it's quite slow compared to curved/straight swords. Still, I am going quality build so I'll be testing those out as I get to them.

The thing with dual wielding that bugs me is that in DS2 you could dual wield for the special moveset and also just 2h your right hand weapon for its 2h moveset. Basically, you had 3 movesets at any given time -- 1h, 2h, and dual wield. It required button toggles and some delay, ofc, but it was a nice option to have compared to 1h or dual wield only.

Damned Registrations

You could do something similar with a pair of painting guardian swords (or hell, a pair of two different weapons.) Plenty of weapons have different movesets in the left hand now, often a parry instead of their usual skill.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I really can't master dual wielding at all. I tried using the dancers twin swords as well as Onikiri and Ubadachi for PVE. But it just left me unsure if I was supposed to tank hits of roll around dodging as I waited for openings. But speaking of weapons I finally tried the Estoc (PVE only) as I dress up as Sirris of the sunless realms. With a little help from lightning paper I just destroyed most of the game without issue. Also I tried a maxed out chaos blade. I think that if I had just a little more stamina. And hadn't hesitated I could have killed the crystal mage in under 30 seconds with that thing. It just slashes everything into ribbons. With some carthus rouge I think it will make very quick work of most of the bosses.

Damned Registrations

God damn the range on the gotthard twinswords was insane there. Also, seems black knight halberd has some crazy reach too, at least one handed. Will have to test this on andre in the shrine next time I play. Shame he didn't test the estoc.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
I played with the uchi but it's quite slow compared to curved/straight swords. Still, I am going quality build so I'll be testing those out as I get to them.

The thing with dual wielding that bugs me is that in DS2 you could dual wield for the special moveset and also just 2h your right hand weapon for its 2h moveset. Basically, you had 3 movesets at any given time -- 1h, 2h, and dual wield. It required button toggles and some delay, ofc, but it was a nice option to have compared to 1h or dual wield only.

It's swings are slower but come on dude it's a katana. You know what it's about. Ain't no need to swing when shits already dead. Running while locked on is even better in DS3 imo.

Yeah dual wielding was sweet. It also gave you extra running/rolling attacks to play with. Really disappointed they don't have that. Espada Ropera (right) + Uchi (left) is my favourite build in all games :(

I dunno if this was in DS1 but if you two hand a left weapon then the buttons stay the same. They aren't reversed like DS2. R1 is still attack rather than L1 etc. It seems easier/quicker to toggle now. Maybe double dual-wielding is a thing now. Twinswords in right, Drang hammers in left or something.

Damned Registrations

Maybe double dual-wielding is a thing now.
Just need From to add dual Avelyns Black Bows in the dlc.
A6UQwVF.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom