Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

How big is it compared to one of the DS2DLC?
half of it , probably not even.
not really. It feels smaller cause there are only 2 bosses but everything else is of similar scope. 15 weapons, 5 armors , 4 spells etc. Exploration is much better than AotA or Ivory King. Its not even close. Ariandels level design is as good as Shulva/Brume and is similar in size. Eleum Loyce felt longer cause you had to redo the whole level after getting rid of blizzard. I needed around 4 hours on ng+ on sl 80 character to get to second boss and i still missed one part of location
the old priscilla tower with invader

TOH for Bloodborne is the biggest single dlc From released and content wise its their best shit but that was two smaller dlcs merged together.

Anyway I pretty much maxed out two covenants(Red/Purple) today thanks to dlc. Half the time i did not even get to the host before wolves /Corvian Knights/Millwood Knights raped them :lol::lol::lol: This is right now best spot for invasions. Lots of shortcuts and deadly drops unless you have silvercatring and some great spots for ambushes. :bounce:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished the DLC. Took me 3.5 hours at lvl 80.

The level design is good (on par with the best from DaS and DaS2) however everything else is a bummer.

Too many trash mobs. I swear I wanted to quit when I saw that you have to fight every tree and wolf at the beginning.

Did not find a better weapon than my Great Axe.

Final boss requires NPC summon if you use a slower weapon. A couple of times I tried to solo it but it became tedious in phase 2 (wtf from).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is there any way to beat Mr. Bowls and his little jumping bitch without losing my mind? Jesus Christ, I thought Ornstein and Smough were tough.

praetor

Arcane
almost done with it. meh. level design is okay at best in the first part and last part (where you fight the wolves and followers and antler vikings with the stone guardian moveset), pretty good in the second part (corvian settlement) and shit in the small bonus parts (the hidden paths to bonus boss and pyro invader). main boss is good, bonus boss is crap. enemies range from solid (aforementioned antler vikings, wolves, and the rapier knights) to the usual annoying ds3 bullshit of "wait half an hour for the combo to finish so that you can combo yourself until out of stamina" (claw "knights")

overall, this is the most mediocre DLC they've done to date, imo. it's just... there. hopefully the 2nd will be better but it just keeps feeling like they just want to be done with the franchise and move on (which would be a good idea)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there any way to beat Mr. Bowls and his little jumping bitch without losing my mind? Jesus Christ, I thought Ornstein and Smough were tough.

there is a special NPC for this fight. left side before entering the arena. it will be summoned in the phase 2 of the fight which means that they designed the fight for a summon. lame as fuck

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

there is a special NPC for this fight. left side before entering the arena. it will be summoned in the phase 2 of the fight which means that they designed the fight for a summon. lame as fuck

Yeah I know, the first two phases are easy anyway, FUGS rips everyone's buttholes. But twenty attempts later I just can't touch the bitch in the 3rd phase. I feel FUGS might not be ideal here, she's way too quick. Gonna give it 10 more attempts and then just fuck it, gonna get me some summon bros. Too old for this shit.

nomask7

Arcane
They went in the right direction with Bloodborne, where regardless of what mega hammer you use most of the time you always also have a swift and agile version of that same weapon for those moments when you need it. And everyone dodges the same, and no shields. Balancing the game is suddenly not a huge problem.

Now since that's Bloodborne, I feel they should have focused on shield play and heavy armor in Dark Souls III and designed the game around that, but I guess that would have angered 95% of the more vocal part of their fanbase, especially the multiplayer oriented. It'd be OK if From just demanded you carry and upgrade two different types of weapon so you can handle faster bosses as well as heavier ones, but then in reality you also have bosses that are easier to beat without a shield and those where maybe a heavy shield is better than dodging. That becomes awkward from character building point of view.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Got the bitch to half health in the 3rd phase. My heart is pounding like a Russian tractor.

"You lack the licence for the DLC, returning to main menu." Fade to black -> main menu.

As I said, I'm having too much fun with this game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So content-wise the DLC is bad? Any kewl items that make it a must-purchase? So far it's looking like I'd opt for base game only.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So content-wise the DLC is bad?

No it isn't praetor is being a goofy edgelord again. Content-wise it is the best thing From has come up with since DS1, the weapons are great, the world is fantastic, mobs are top notch, the final boss will be rated as one of the best in the series by most players (not by me I prefer huge monsters for bosses instead of humanoids).

The DLC has only one major problem - it IS too short. It's not half as long as the DS2 DLCs as some people claimed but you WILL be surprised it's the end already when you get there.

If you can wait I recommend waiting for a sale, for 50% off it's gonna be a good value.

praetor

Arcane
So content-wise the DLC is bad? Any kewl items that make it a must-purchase? So far it's looking like I'd opt for base game only.

bad? no. just meh. there's one actually interesting enemy, one good boss, a couple of mildly interesting weapons (shield/sword "dual wield", rapier/claw and twinscythes) and maybe a cool miracle (it looks cool... so it's probably garbage, like all miracles). level design is pretty good in one part (the village), uninteresting in the rest with some pretty weak parts here and there, although at least it's not as linear as the base game. it's also disappointingly short. overall, it's the least "must have" of all the soulsborne DLCs so far. buy it on sale when it will be 5-10$ for both of them (hopefully the 2nd will be better)

don't listen to cvv. he's one of the worst souls players around here and gets his ass handed to him by regular hollows 24/7

edit: oh, and i forgot... lore-wise it's also very underwhelming. it introduces more questions than it answers, and the questions it asks are kinda boring. and, btw, it's also got pretty mixed reviews even on steam (yup, cvv has lower standards than the average steam user, lol)

Perkel

Arcane
BTW at this point can we even be sure that hyperarmor is actually hyperarmor and not actually poise working?
I mean whole point about hyperarmor was made because people assumed that Poise either don't work or works on something like rolling and other shit like that and not actual combat.

BTW should i wait to play it for second DLC ? I downloaded it but i got trapped by stellaris last 2 days...

Hyperion

Arcane
The poise mechanic from Dark Souls 1 is actually in the code, but it's turned off. I would imagine that was far easier than rewriting the code.

This is a video of someone who turned the Poise stat On, and it functions just like in 1.

Perkel

Arcane
The poise mechanic from Dark Souls 1 is actually in the code, but it's turned off. I would imagine that was far easier than rewriting the code.

It is not turned off !
It is turned off when you are standing or doing anything else than attacking (like running) but when you attack poise is turned on like it would work in DS1 or DS2.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Perkel I don't really care what you say about DS3 at this point, but can you please stop talking about how DS2 poise works when you clearly have absolutely no clue? I swear to god I'm going to get a brain tumor if I read that DS2 and DS1 have the same poise mechanics one more time.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel I don't really care what you say about DS3 at this point

And you respond to me ? Oh my i should be honored. Should I ?

Perkel

I swear to god I'm going to get a brain tumor if I read that DS2 and DS1 have the same poise mechanics one more time.

No one said it. What i said is that DS3 works differently than DS1 and DS2 in therms of poise. DS1 and DS2 poise system is similar while DS3 is different in how it is used.

But do explain me like 5 if i got this wrong sensei.

I thought that DS2 and DS3 poise were more similar than poise in DS1 and DS2? I'll admit I'm not certain of that. The last time I read up on DS2 poise was a while back, and I remember hearing something about it getting changed in a patch, so I'm not sure if my information is current.

As an aside, I've noticed that DS2 is much harder to find in-depth information on as well. For DS1 or 3, you can just hit up the fextralife wiki and you're good to go, but every guide I've found on DS2 seems incomplete or out of date.

vmar

Savant

It's ok. The level design is cool and I like the look of the area. Some of the new weapons are basically reskins of old stuff with new weapon arts, but there a few really cool new ones. I like the new scythe a lot. My main problem with it is the length, it's over way too fast. After Bloodborne's excellent dlc I had my expectations set a little higher.

bminorkey

it has good weapons (really new concepts), boring spells, good armor

it has one good boss and one really good boss, and the level is nice as well

the arena is fun

but it's really short. like three hours long.

i think you should get it because the final boss really is cool but yeah it's not as good as the other dlcs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom