Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I mean, thats exactly what I did on my blind first playthrough, so... git gud?

In all seriousness though, even ignoring the dancer (it is admittedly a bit obscure -that ladder is super obvious and tempting though- and rather difficult, akin to getting the key to the seal early in DS1 and fighting something like Sif before the taurus demon) you still have a lot of options after Vordt. If you're not some walktrhough following mongoloid, you've no reason to suspect the greatwood is any more or less important than the watchers or the sage for your progression. I had gone all the way to the keep before I backtracked to fight it, and had yet to explore several other minor paths as well which I thought might lead to bosses or new areas. That is a ton of space to explore openly, and most of your options from that point reveal more areas after fighting them.

Basically you speedran a couple of areas and then you backtracked. A somewhat non-intuitive way of exploring DaS3 world but I admit it is legitimate.

However my assumption is that regular DaS players are methodical - they clear an area and then they move to the next. Because people don't like to lose items.

And for them the game feels linear because they let themselves guided by the game. And it's real: the game never opens in the same way as the previous installments.

For them (including myself) the entire game is reduced to area-after-area-after-area chains or maximum 2 choices - either clear this area or another area. It never happens to have a crossroad where there are more than 2 ways to go.

And that's is what other players have already posted even in this thread. It has nothing to do with "git gud" or being retarded. It's just the reality.

In the previous posts, I did an appeal to your common sense but it seems is futile. You either cannot or wont acknowledge that the game feels somewhat linear for most players.

I have nothing to gain from this argument. So, you are right.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you're not some walktrhough following mongoloid, you've no reason to suspect the greatwood is any more or less important than the watchers or the sage for your progression.
You kinda do, since the developer message outside justifies the boss by saying it has the transposing kiln.

But there's certainly nothing forcing you to play that way, just like there's nothing stopping you from going into the catacombs or lower londo in DS1 (which is still probably the least linear of the series imo.) and nothing was stopping me from doing all sorts of shit in DS2 that would have made it a lot less linear for me.
Ds1 is definitely the least linear. I'd also certainly argue ds3 is the most linear. Don't mistake that for a statement that ds2 is some nonlinear enough though.

I got really frustrated by the linearity in 3, because I happened to do cathedral before swamp, and then when I had lots of problems killing abyss watchers... well my options were to keep bashing my head against the wall or... stop playing the game? That's never really happened to me before in dark souls game, I've always had other places to go and gather some souls (not in latter half of ds2, but there's nothing remotely difficult there except the final boss perhaps).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, from my point of view, you didn't thoroughly explore each area, you just fought each boss as you encountered it and followed breadcrumbs instead of backtracking and looking for alternate routes.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So are there any areas like Sen's Fortress or places that have excessive platforming?

There is no Sen's Fortress in this game.

There are some rolling skeletons on some bridge but that is as close you will get to Sen's Fortress.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good. I prefer the focus to be on combat not a bunch of derpy 'oops you fell' moments.

praetor

Arcane
I mean, thats exactly what I did on my blind first playthrough, so... git gud?

In all seriousness though, even ignoring the dancer (it is admittedly a bit obscure -that ladder is super obvious and tempting though- and rather difficult, akin to getting the key to the seal early in DS1 and fighting something like Sif before the taurus demon) you still have a lot of options after Vordt. If you're not some walktrhough following mongoloid, you've no reason to suspect the greatwood is any more or less important than the watchers or the sage for your progression. I had gone all the way to the keep before I backtracked to fight it, and had yet to explore several other minor paths as well which I thought might lead to bosses or new areas. That is a ton of space to explore openly, and most of your options from that point reveal more areas after fighting them.

Basically you speedran a couple of areas and then you backtracked. A somewhat non-intuitive way of exploring DaS3 world but I admit it is legitimate.

However my assumption is that regular DaS players are methodical - they clear an area and then they move to the next. Because people don't like to lose items.

And for them the game feels linear because they let themselves guided by the game. And it's real: the game never opens in the same way as the previous installments.

For them (including myself) the entire game is reduced to area-after-area-after-area chains or maximum 2 choices - either clear this area or another area. It never happens to have a crossroad where there are more than 2 ways to go.

And that's is what other players have already posted even in this thread. It has nothing to do with "git gud" or being retarded. It's just the reality.

In the previous posts, I did an appeal to your common sense but it seems is futile. You either cannot or wont acknowledge that the game feels somewhat linear for most players.

I have nothing to gain from this argument. So, you are right.

i'm really having trouble understanding how this is so hard to comprehend for DamnedRetardation... it's quite a simple concept, but for him "OMG, i forgot to fight a boss 5 hours ago in an area i fully explored yesterday, but now i can fight him! so open game, so not linear!" not to mention the awesome "options" of fighting minibosses... lol, should every non-respawnable enemy count as an "option" then? so when in smouldering lake i have 2 options there alone! no, wait, i have three! in the same area i can kill the worm, i can go disable the ballista or fight the actual boss! fuck, totally forgot... you have 4 options in SL alone! you can also fight knight fume cunt! holy shit! so open game! and if i forget to do any of those, they count for "options" later on! it doesn't matter that nearly every area has one entry and one exit point, and that a lot of them are gated behind bosses (or "keys" that drop from bosses or whatever) and the optional areas seem to function as "side rooms" (big and cool, but still), they don't provide any additional route to get somewhere else.

DaS2 had 4-5 (very linear) paths from the get go, and DaS1 had so many areas connected in so many ways it's pointless to enumerate them. if we counted all the "options" you have at any given time in any of those 2 games like DR does for DaS3, they'd both have at least an order of magnitude more options than DaS3. but that's really hard to comprehend for some people...

edit: forgot to mention, Sullivan is the cuntiest (in a bad way) boss in all Souls games so far. all twitch skills, no thought. if i wanted to play DMC, i would've fucking played DMC

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I mean, from my point of view, you didn't thoroughly explore each area, you just fought each boss as you encountered it and followed breadcrumbs instead of backtracking and looking for alternate routes.
Not sure if this is a reply to me but if it is: I went to cathedral first because I had a lot of problems dealing with the two fatties by the gate to the swamp. It was already my escape. Actually I think I never wound up killing those guys, just running past them. It's funny too because the frost knight *everyone* reports having issues with I killed on first try with no sweat, both on my first character (sorc) and a second one I made to work out some frustrations (barb). Melee certainly felt like easy mode after playing sorc too, think I made it all the way to tree boss without dying.

baturinsky

Arcane
When I tried playing DS2, I gave up after an hour. Because PC controls are shitty, it takes several minutes to get from respawn to next boss, by which time I have forgotten where controls is and I instantly die again.
Should I expect the same from DS3?

Damned Registrations

praetor I mean, your definition of 'fully explored' is 'explored in the way I happened to do it'. I explored in a way that gave me a lot of options on purpose; rather than trying to exhaust paths, I searched for more. When I encountered a boss or new area I made a note of it and looked for more bosses and areas. When you encountered a boss you refused to go anywhere else until you killed it, then followed whatever was behind it, still refusing to explore areas you had access to. How is this a more thorough exploration? Obviously the game is going to be linear if you don't look for alternate routes in the first place. You're just imagining barriers to progress where there are none. Nobody forced you to kill anything in a particular order besides the Iudex. The game may indeed have felt linear to you, but that's on you, not on the game. Anything feels linear if you never backtrack except when forced to.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I finished the game, beat the last boss solo, much pride.

Tried sunbro co op afterwards, that part of the game works really great. No glitches, no issues, just fun.

Also tried some invasions and man, seems like FromSoft listened to the whiners. The Reds are punching bags in this game. It's as if there's a higher priority to invade worlds with friendly summons. I've tried about 10 invasions and only in 1 case I invaded a solo dude. Killed that one but got raped in the other matches. Not good enough to fight 2 or more players. Also I tried to run throught the game in an ember form since I like a bit of PvP but only once I was invaded when solo. In all the other cases invasion happened only after I summoned someone.

Plus it seems there are some weird technical issues with PvP, there's this annoying delay between me swinging and actually hitting and some swings don't register at all even tho they clearly connected. Vice versa when I was invaded I could clearly see the Red had the same problem.

All in all the best souls game for me. It's definitely A LOT tougher than both prequels, it looks gorgeous, the music is awesome and the bosses, with a few stupid exceptions, are great. Too bad the world isn't as intricate and interconnected as in DS1 but it's by no means bad either. Grate gaem.

Perkel

Arcane
Also tried some invasions and man, seems like FromSoft listened to the whiners. The Reds are punching bags in this game. It's as if there's a higher priority to invade worlds with friendly summons. I've tried about 10 invasions and only in 1 case I invaded a solo dude. Killed that one but got raped in the other matches. Not good enough to fight 2 or more players. Also I tried to run throught the game in an ember form since I like a bit of PvP but only once I was invaded when solo. In all the other cases invasion happened only after I summoned someone.

That is normal, shitload of casuls play currently which usually try pvp few times each thus it is easy. Once casuls will fly away to "nextgreatthing" what is left will be people who will either hack or play good pvp.

Murk

Arcane
Poise being (seemingly) nonexistant and the whackadoo movesets are a bit of a detriment, IMO, and I'm not sure if the pvp scene will be as fleshed out as DS2. It'll have it's moment, but I'm curious if it will persist as more balance patches come out or if it'll be like BB where people left it.

I honestly have no idea what the fuck they were thinking with estus use and speed.

The dual maces are silly, easy 3button-6hit combo for like 1.3k damage if you land the first hit. What the fuck.

edit: for anyone who cares, speed rimmers are getting 1:40.

Damned Registrations

I was also hoping the world would have the interconnectedness of DS1, but at the same time, I was impressed with the individual level designs giving multiple routes and generally good design with things like vantage points and well designed secrets, which I think it did better than any of the previous games. And I think the branching layout rather than the tangled maze of DS1 was part of what let them do that.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is the least enjoyable DS for me. My order goes DS 1 > Demons > DS 2 > DS 3 > Bloodborne.

Maybe it's just souls fatigue of playing more of the same.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
edit: forgot to mention, Sullivan is the cuntiest (in a bad way) boss in all Souls games so far. all twitch skills, no thought. if i wanted to play DMC, i would've fucking played DMC

You're going to love Dancer. :lol:

I didn't find Sullivan that bad though, he's a bit like the Fume Knight in that if you hug him and circle around him counterclockwise a good amount of his attacks will go above your head. I also found that the blue sword doesn't hit very hard so it's often preferable to eat a swing and keep attacking. And phase 2 you can kinda just mash R1.

Also, don't hate on DMC, attacking effectively actually takes skill in that game, unlike Souls. And you actually get strong reactive defensive options, making aggression very profitable for skilled players.

Villagkouras

Arcane

Nope. You're doing it wrong. I've yet to finish the game but it is the only boss so far that rolling and dodging is the wrong way. Sure you can beat him this way, but the old hiding behind a shield and strafing needs a lot less effort and makes him stop his combos.

Murk

Arcane
Man, holding a shield and strafing is the most boring way to play souls games.

sullynathan

Arcane
He is just gifted in a way that we mere mortals cannot understand.

* He is praising a game which didn't give him satisfaction.

** He is not bragging when he is actually bragging.

*** I give up. I cannot comprehend the knowledge encapsulated in his posts.

Then give up, you're not doing anything else except pulling words out of your ass. I said I never felt such great satisfaction as when I killed the most difficult boss from the first game. Does that mean I had 0 satisfaction? Not even close. Can I not praise the boss design, atmosphere and movesets even though it wasn't that challenging for me? How the fuck am I bragging or being obnoxious?

You are a poseur. End of the story.

Some people need to git gud

The second poseur in this thread.

And Perkel which is just retarded. Honestly, this guy is not even posting logical arguments. He is either suffering from autism or he is high.

Well, enjoy the club. 3 imbeciles craving attention. Posting mostly apologetic shit, denying facts and bragging about their epenis. There are a plethora of broken mechanics in the game but not one of you will ever post any criticism to the game. Did not happen and will not happen.

And you know what is the problem with poseurs like you? You never contribute anything to the discussion because in the end: IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU.

In fact all your posts about DaS3 could be resumed in one meme "git gud". Because that's actually all you have to say on this topic.
While I admit to shitposting a little, I don't find a lot of your criticisms convincing enough since I even see souls noobs complain less than you and IGN reviewers play this game while having less problems.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is the least enjoyable DS for me. My order goes DS 1 > Demons > DS 2 > DS 3 > Bloodborne.

DS2 DLCs >> DS1 + DLC >> DS2 vanilla >> DS3

Did not play Demon and Bloodborne. But pretty close.

I would never guess that after reading couple last pages in this thread :lol: seems like most codexers cant progress in DS without hiding behind havels shield. Anyway big fuckng lol at uselesness of shields in DS3. Bosses like Oceiros, Pontif, Sage, Vordt are much easier if you have good shield and know how to block. Protip : you can block most of dancers attacks with shield with +60 stability. Just dont try that with her 12 spins combo in 2nd phase :roll:

DS2 DLCs >> DS1 + DLC >> DS2 vanilla >> DS3

Did not play Demon and Bloodborne. But pretty close.
Nope.;)
Ds1 first half>ds2 dlcs= ds3> bloodborne > des> DS2 vanilla> DS1 post O&S :smug:

DS1 wins only because of that interconected world and being first from software game for 95% pc players.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I would never guess that after reading couple last pages in this thread :lol: seems like most codexers cant progress in DS without hiding behind havels shield. Anyway big fuckng lol at uselesness of shields in DS3. Bosses like Oceiros, Pontif, Sage, Vordt are much easier if you have good shield and know how to block. Protip : you can block most of dancers attacks with shield with +60 stability. Just dont try that with her 12 spins combo in 2nd phase :roll:
s.

Because DS 1 + DS 2 + Demons was tactical with shield defending, so that's what everyone expected for DS 3.

Bloodborne and now unthankfully DS 3 is dodge button masher, the speed is also too fast, best speed was DS 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom