Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stamina in terms of max value not so much, but stamina regen was inversely proportional to equip load, so if you wanted to wear any kind of decent armor, a roll would cost you significantly more regen time than it does in DS3, where regen is (afaik) static and quite fast.

I think stamina regen is fixed (afaik a few pieces of specific gear slows it down but that's it) but I think what's proportional this time around is stamina depletion. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed when I strip down I can sprint much further on a full stamina bar than in heavy armor with Havel shield. Or was it always like this?

Poise was kind of a shitty mechanic to begin with imo- the AI can't deal with it for obvious reasons, and in pvp it turned everything into a backstabbing fishing contest because it took less time to roll behind someone than it did to finish a swing so anything that wasn't a backstab was basically suicide.

I don't think poise is a shitty mechanics if handled properly, plus it isn't necessarily related to the backstabbing problem. But yeah, for me backstabbing was the shittiest mechanics in both DS1 and DS2. 70% of all combat in pve and pvp was people circling around and trying to backstab. Much thrilling. Thank sweet Jesus they nerfed it in DS3 a bit. Criticals as such are great but they should've got rid of backstabbing completely and instead make parrying/riposting a bit easier. Right now it's basically a gamble for 95% of the playerbase.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Fucking 10 years later and they still havent fixed ultra great weapons. Far too slow, far too little damage, and not enough poise breaks on bosses. It's even worse when you realize that the longer the game goes on, the worse 2 handed strength weapons become because of the extra health of players and enemy npcs, and the weak damage the weapons do. Even the special abilities of the ultra great weapons require you to be hit by the enemy to be useful.

Meanwhile if you run around with a machete or a dark sword you can get 1200 damage in 4 hits which is like 2 seconds.

Steve

Augur
Fucking 10 years later and they still havent fixed ultra great weapons. Far too slow, far too little damage, and not enough poise breaks on bosses. It's even worse when you realize that the longer the game goes on, the worse 2 handed strength weapons become because of the extra health of players and enemy npcs, and the weak damage the weapons do. Even the special abilities of the ultra great weapons require you to be hit by the enemy to be useful.

Meanwhile if you run around with a machete or a dark sword you can get 1200 damage in 4 hits which is like 2 seconds.

Great weapons and ultra great weapons were fine in Dark Souls 1, a super heavy juggernaut build kinda broke the game because of how well armor and poise worked in that game, throw a great shield on top of that and you were able to facetank pretty much every boss.

Great weapons in DaS3 are shit, the only thing they have going for them is reach, other than that one-handers outperform them in everyway. You almost never have enough time to get one attack through against a boss before you have to start rolling again, armor seems useless so you can't even tank the damage. I ended up switching to to Drang hammers and it felt like I put on easy mode.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Poise was kind of a shitty mechanic to begin with imo- the AI can't deal with it for obvious reasons, and in pvp it turned everything into a backstabbing fishing contest because it took less time to roll behind someone than it did to finish a swing so anything that wasn't a backstab was basically suicide. Nevermind the horseshit of that stagger canceling weapon swap crap being mandatory for a high end pvp fight.

From what I've seen, DS3 pvp is a lot more tactical and relies more on managing stamina and estus (at least until people start hacking in 99 divine blessings again) to win a battle of attrition.

They don't need to hack anything. High level players have 13 estus flasks (6+). Enjoy your pvp.

Poise was kind of a shitty mechanic to begin with imo- the AI can't deal with it for obvious reasons, and in pvp it turned everything into a backstabbing fishing contest because it took less time to roll behind someone than it did to finish a swing so anything that wasn't a backstab was basically suicide. Nevermind the horseshit of that stagger canceling weapon swap crap being mandatory for a high end pvp fight.

From what I've seen, DS3 pvp is a lot more tactical and relies more on managing stamina and estus (at least until people start hacking in 99 divine blessings again) to win a battle of attrition.

They don't need to hack anything. High level players have 13 estus flasks (6+). Enjoy your pvp.
How is that worse than having 20 estus+99 humanity?or 12 estus +300life gems?or couple hundred moon grass?

praetor

Arcane
I don't think poise is a shitty mechanics if handled properly, plus it isn't necessarily related to the backstabbing problem. But yeah, for me backstabbing was the shittiest mechanics in both DS1 and DS2. 70% of all combat in pve and pvp was people circling around and trying to backstab. Much thrilling. Thank sweet Jesus they nerfed it in DS3 a bit. Criticals as such are great but they should've got rid of backstabbing completely and instead make parrying/riposting a bit easier. Right now it's basically a gamble for 95% of the playerbase.

what am i reading here?

you do realize that backstabs in DaS2 are harder to pull off than in DaS3 (it has the same "delaying animation" concept, except it looks a bit sillier but is 100 times better for gameplay because it's longer. they should've just gone with the BB concept of backstabs that are only possible after a charge attack from the back [or, as you say, remove them completely])?

and poise was "fixed" in DaS2... it worked mechanically rather well, the major problem was the completely fucked up breakpoints (i.e. 2handing almost anything could stagger even max poise)

anyway, 2 more things in which DaS3 is disappointing:

1) covenants: they're so lazy there's actually 2 pairs of covenants that are literally the exact same but with changed name (and changed invasion area in one case), one is a covenant built around the glitch in DaS1 that sometimes made you spawn as a red phantom when you were summoned through a white sign... except it's about 3 orders of magnitude more stupid than said glitch. it will be dead within weeks. it's like they weren't even trying. not one PvE focused covenant like the Abyss in DaS2, not one "let's try something cool" (and fail miserably... but at least try) like the gravelords or rats.

2) NPCs. i have yet to encounter a memorable one. one had a cool looking armour, but that's it. all the vendors who moved to firelink are boring as shit, nu-Lautrec/Yurt is the worst of its type, nu-Crestfallen is the same (who the fuck at From thought that it would be a good idea to have him kill the convenat leader when you kill the boss of the area where the actual covenant is. a mandatory boss at that! and you can't revive the fucker...), the lady with her silent companion has an okay questline so far, but her character is even more boring than the vendors, the other armoured chick who appears from time to time and whom you help kill Creighton (really?) is even more boring, and Siegmeyer of Fanservice kingdom is... well, the less is said of him the better. i'm honestly baffled and surprised they didn't just put in Solaire and call him Sunheir or something lame like that to make it look like it wasn't the same character.

Perkel

Arcane
DS3 doesn't have exact same backstab as DS1. Like DS2 it has animation that has to connect if animation doesn't connect you will miss. It is slightly faster in DS3 than in DS2 though. Front crit i think doesn't have actually any animation. Still it is improvement over DS2 jerky front stab.

Still doesn't mean much, two handed weapons have options in menu to get both lock on and free attack movement at the same time virtually anihilating backstabbers, backhop actually is now usefull so you can easily put circling jerk in line of fire.
As for monsters most of them don't allow you for easy backstab unlike DS1. They either have moveset that does have counterbackstab or movement alone which usually doesn't allow you to circle them like in DS1 or DS2. There are some enemies that do give you ability to backstab them though but they are rather rare

Seethe

Arbiter
I actually got mad when he killed the wolf because I wanted to be active in that covenant. If you are talking about the one with cool armor, I assume that would be Eygon. I killed him for that armor and now I wear it.

As for memorable NPCs....well. Kinda hard to meet any of them when half of them are fan service. They even brought Patches back.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
you do realize that backstabs in DaS2 are harder to pull off than in DaS3

We'll need some confirmation but I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. Anyway neither are "good for gameplay" because it's a stupid mechanic to begin with.

1) covenants: they're so lazy there's actually 2 pairs of covenants that are literally the exact same but with changed name

You mean the Sentinels and the Darkmoon Knights? Afaik one is "you're summoned to a world of the WoB member who's being invaded" and the other is "you're summoned to the world of a dude who invaded a WoB member". Might be wrong tho, neither ever fucking triggered for me. :mad:

And the other pair would be the Mud covenant and the Reds? Well I don't see the point of the purple phantoms either. It's weird in an uninteresting way.

Urbanolo

Augur
I've gathered my quick thoughts after finishing the game and doing all the bosses and here are my problems with the game (spoilers beware):

1. The game is basically a glorified fanservice with all the recurring characters themes and items (Andre, Anor Londo, dragons in Lothric, onionbro, crestfallen's new reincarnation, weapons and armour), unlike DS 2, which tried a lot of new things - whether they've succeeded or not is another matter. It's like with the newest Star Wars movie, they spend so much time blinking to the players, saying 'hey, you remember that?', that they fail to develop more new and original ideas.

2. Almost all regular monsters have much longer combos than in previous games and it seems like some of them have infinite stamina with only programmed pauses between combos, not even mentioning the bosses like Pontifex and Champion Gundyr which I felt like they were outright cheating with their combo chains.

3. The changes to rolling, while subjective, encourage spamming roll since it costs almost nothing now in stamina and the staming management is much much easier than in previous games.

4. It feels to me like From has gone overboard on the monstrosity design - the second phase of the very first boss feels like out of Bloodborne, not even mentioning the monsters accompanying dragonslayer armour as well as regular monsters which are usually much taller than the player and surprisingly agile.

5. Every boss fight (except one, which I'll get to), unlike in previous installments, has 2 phases. It makes bossfights that could've been surprising to have a second phase (twin princes, nameless king, last boss) very predictable. Remember when fighting O&S in DS1, after finally killing one of them, you get the 'what, there's a second phase?' feeling? It was new and it was fun. Well now it's gone.

6. Two gimmicky bossfights Yhorm and Ancient Wyvern, that are Bed of Chaos/Dragon God level of shit design, too easy after you 'figure them out' and replaying them on next runs isn't fun in any way.

7. PvP issues are discussed all the time and I won't elaborate further much further on them than saying that I think giving red phantoms the ability to chug estus and making invading gankers more likely were both awful decisions.

8. Not upgrading armour? Removing backstep i-frames? Why?

9. The game is more linear than both DS1 (which basically had an open worlds sans Anor Londo) and DS 2 (which you had the ability to choose which great souls are you going to pursue, and you could've gotten to for example Ruin Sentinels in two much different ways). The game forks 3 times: Cathedral/Abyss Watchers; Yhorm/Aldrich; Dragonslayer Armour/optional areas and that's it. [it seems that I've been wrong and you can access the Dancer earlier - that's nice]

10. Poise is non existent and stunlocking (esp. PvE) with fast spammy weapon is definitely too strong.
Most of it has been discussed already here, but I've posted it on DS 3 subreddit and I thought I might as well post it here.

Overall my ranking is DS2 (PvP was great fun, countless hours wasted) > DS1 > DS3 when it comes to souls games. I did not play Bloodborne though.

Perkel

Arcane
They even brought Patches back.

Well Patches would 100% be in the game. He's in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, Bloodborne, even in Dark Souls 2 as Pate. Maybe it's From's way of trolling when players google for patching content.

I think they are simply playing on people mind.

In DS1 dude behaves like Patches from DeS and usually people who played DeS would kill him but in DS if you "forgive him" you get trader. So people naturally would get fucked by themselves.

Pete in DS2, similar situation. You have your assumptions about him from get go but he gives you White soap then later he helps you then you meat that other guy and again you are confused if it is "that" dude or not.

I am yet to see that dude in DS3.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I've gathered my quick thoughts after finishing the game and doing all the bosses and here are my problems with the game (spoilers beware):

1. The game is basically a glorified fanservice with all the recurring characters themes and items (Andre, Anor Londo, dragons in Lothric, onionbro, crestfallen's new reincarnation, weapons and armour), unlike DS 2, which tried a lot of new things - whether they've succeeded or not is another matter. It's like with the newest Star Wars movie, they spend so much time blinking to the players, saying 'hey, you remember that?', that they fail to develop more new and original ideas.

2. Almost all regular monsters have much longer combos than in previous games and it seems like some of them have infinite stamina with only programmed pauses between combos, not even mentioning the bosses like Pontifex and Champion Gundyr which I felt like they were outright cheating with their combo chains.

3. The changes to rolling, while subjective, encourage spamming roll since it costs almost nothing now in stamina and the staming management is much much easier than in previous games.

4. It feels to me like From has gone overboard on the monstrosity design - the second phase of the very first boss feels like out of Bloodborne, not even mentioning the monsters accompanying dragonslayer armour as well as regular monsters which are usually much taller than the player and surprisingly agile.

5. Every boss fight (except one, which I'll get to), unlike in previous installments, has 2 phases. It makes bossfights that could've been surprising to have a second phase (twin princes, nameless king, last boss) very predictable. Remember when fighting O&S in DS1, after finally killing one of them, you get the 'what, there's a second phase?' feeling? It was new and it was fun. Well now it's gone.

6. Two gimmicky bossfights Yhorm and Ancient Wyvern, that are Bed of Chaos/Dragon God level of shit design, too easy after you 'figure them out' and replaying them on next runs isn't fun in any way.

7. PvP issues are discussed all the time and I won't elaborate further much further on them than saying that I think giving red phantoms the ability to chug estus and making invading gankers more likely were both awful decisions.

8. Not upgrading armour? Removing backstep i-frames? Why?

9. The game is more linear than both DS1 (which basically had an open worlds sans Anor Londo) and DS 2 (which you had the ability to choose which great souls are you going to pursue, and you could've gotten to for example Ruin Sentinels in two much different ways). The game forks 3 times: Cathedral/Abyss Watchers; Yhorm/Aldrich; Dragonslayer Armour/optional areas and that's it. [it seems that I've been wrong and you can access the Dancer earlier - that's nice]

10. Poise is non existent and stunlocking (esp. PvE) with fast spammy weapon is definitely too strong.
Most of it has been discussed already here, but I've posted it on DS 3 subreddit and I thought I might as well post it here.

Overall my ranking is DS2 (PvP was great fun, countless hours wasted) > DS1 > DS3 when it comes to souls games. I did not play Bloodborne though.
Bloodborne('s combat) is essentially this game without shields.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, I completed my first run of the game tonight. Some thoughts:

1. The game honestly feels like it forgoes having its own identity in favor of just being Soulsborne: The Greatest Hits. It takes bits and pieces from each other game in the series and just kinda mashes them together to make a new game and hopes that the final result works.
2. The fanservice, which was already at pretty absurd levels with Dark Souls 2, is now off the bloody charts. Some of it is neat and clever, most of it just obnoxious and tired. Feeds into the same issue mentioned above.
3. I stick by what I said earlier: normal enemies are just a pain to fight now for the most part. Hit too hard, too quick, and too erratically, stagger you too easily, and too much of a bitch to deal with in any way other than just stun-locking them to death.
4. Game does feel incredibly linear compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2, but the level design and atmosphere is a definite step-up from Dark Souls 2.
5. Weapon Arts: Interesting concept but I didn't find myself using them much, and only a handful of them are different enough to seriously affect your playstyle.
6. Bosses: Mostly acceptable, but nothing really stand-out, which is a major let down. The second-phase schtick also gets incredibly tiresome.
7. No interesting new characters. Most the cast is fan-service, and what isn't is pretty bland.
8. I swear something like a third of the armor sets are just re-used shit from Dark Souls 1 and 2. There's fan service and then there's just being lazy.

Even comparing the faster pace of the combat to Bloodborne is doing Bloodborne a bit of a disservice. Sure, in that game enemies moved quickly and would often spam attacks, but you could usually move just as quickly as they could, their attacks were clearly telegraphed before they made them, and you were actively encouraged to be offensive via the game's healing mechanics, and could often stagger them out of combos if you hit hard enough. In this one it just feels like it wants the game to be fast and frenetic, and on the other hand the mechanics of poise and enemies randomly getting infinite poise mid-combo just encourages you to turtle and roll spam around like it's The fucking Witcher.

I'm glad this is the final game in the series, if this is seriously the direction they wanted to take it in.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm almost done with the game, no time to gittin gud so I had to rush through the content sadly. I've been happy with naked Zweihander for almost half of the game, but I can see how armor is all fucky. I tried to poise up with full Smough/Yohrns shield and even with that most bosses can one or two-hit you at 30 VIT. Even worse, the
knights in Lothric castle
too. I'm cooping most endgame bosses and having fun regardless.

On the other hand, very few one hit deaths by jumpscares.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I completed my first run of the game tonight. Some thoughts:

1. The game honestly feels like it forgoes having its own identity in favor of just being Soulsborne: The Greatest Hits. It takes bits and pieces from each other game in the series and just kinda mashes them together to make a new game and hopes that the final result works.
2. The fanservice, which was already at pretty absurd levels with Dark Souls 2, is now off the bloody charts. Some of it is neat and clever, most of it just obnoxious and tired. Feeds into the same issue mentioned above.
3. I stick by what I said earlier: normal enemies are just a pain to fight now for the most part. Hit too hard, too quick, and too erratically, stagger you too easily, and too much of a bitch to deal with in any way other than just stun-locking them to death.
4. Game does feel incredibly linear compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2, but the level design and atmosphere is a definite step-up from Dark Souls 2.
5. Weapon Arts: Interesting concept but I didn't find myself using them much, and only a handful of them are different enough to seriously affect your playstyle.
6. Bosses: Mostly acceptable, but nothing really stand-out, which is a major let down. The second-phase schtick also gets incredibly tiresome.
7. No interesting new characters. Most the cast is fan-service, and what isn't is pretty bland.
8. I swear something like a third of the armor sets are just re-used shit from Dark Souls 1 and 2. There's fan service and then there's just being lazy.

Even comparing the faster pace of the combat to Bloodborne is doing Bloodborne a bit of a disservice. Sure, in that game enemies moved quickly and would often spam attacks, but you could usually move just as quickly as they could, their attacks were clearly telegraphed before they made them, and you were actively encouraged to be offensive via the game's healing mechanics, and could often stagger them out of combos if you hit hard enough. In this one it just feels like it wants the game to be fast and frenetic, and on the other hand the mechanics of poise and enemies randomly getting infinite poise mid-combo just encourages you to turtle and roll spam around like it's The fucking Witcher.

I'm glad this is the final game in the series, if this is seriously the direction they wanted to take it in.

It's not the last game from the series [link]

So first of all, Dark Souls has a really unique world view, so Miyazaki-san believes it is not a good idea to continuously release titles for this series. This will probably be the turning point of From Software as a whole as well, just because this is the last project that From Software has started working on a prototype before Miyazaki-san became the president of the company.

So it's just a turning point. It is true that it will be a turning point but it's still not the final game for the Dark Souls series.

You can understand whatever you want from that quote.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Just when I started to slowly get used to the game it fucks me over again. Since I somehow missed the red eye orb and wanted some pvp, I tried some invasions and the watchdogs covenant. In the latter I got summoned ONCE in 5 hours, symbol flashing and nothing happens. In invasions 90% of the hosts are so laggy that you can pretty much forget straight duels. At one point I invaded and my character was in T pose all the time and the host could not damage me :lol:

I never had problemslike that in ds2. Everything ran smooth and summons\invasions occured all the time. I am embered all the time and never get invaded -.-

In other words, I spent almost 4 hours farming the black knight in the keep and finally the armor dropped. Its really good and so is the shield and sword. Made my experience much better. Anyone know where to get twinkling titanite fast?

Perkel

Arcane
Just when I started to slowly get used to the game it fucks me over again. Since I somehow missed the red eye orb and wanted some pvp, I tried some invasions and the watchdogs covenant. In the latter I got summoned ONCE in 5 hours, symbol flashing and nothing happens. In invasions 90% of the hosts are so laggy that you can pretty much forget straight duels. At one point I invaded and my character was in T pose all the time and the host could not damage me :lol:

Check your option for multi.

If you switch on matchmaking you will get A LOT of signs and other stuff but you will be mathed up with people from whole world which basically means that it will be lag fest. Good feature but for future where there won't be many players.

Then if you switch it off you will play via region. Don't know if it is via your country or EU. What i noticed though is that i switched Steam download region from Poland to Germany and i definitively have more signs to use.

praetor

Arcane
DS3 doesn't have exact same backstab as DS1. Like DS2 it has animation that has to connect if animation doesn't connect you will miss. It is slightly faster in DS3 than in DS2 though. Front crit i think doesn't have actually any animation. Still it is improvement over DS2 jerky front stab.

Still doesn't mean much, two handed weapons have options in menu to get both lock on and free attack movement at the same time virtually anihilating backstabbers, backhop actually is now usefull so you can easily put circling jerk in line of fire.
As for monsters most of them don't allow you for easy backstab unlike DS1. They either have moveset that does have counterbackstab or movement alone which usually doesn't allow you to circle them like in DS1 or DS2. There are some enemies that do give you ability to backstab them though but they are rather rare

nobody said DS3 has the exact same backstab as DS1. learn to read.

enemies that give you ability to backstab are rare?! lol! you must be really shitty at the game if you didn't manage to backstab 70-80% of the mooks up to (and including) Anal Londo. it's not as easy as DaS1, sure (there it was so easy it could happen by accident), but compared to DaS2 backstabs are easy to pull off (not to mention that again they give you full invincibility frames during the animation so they're again godmode), although in the end it's easier to just stunlock them to death so other than for a change of pace, it's not even worth bothering (although it was "fun" killing all the silver knights with repeat backstabs... brings back memories.... not good ones). i mean holy fuck, you can backstab a boss :D

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Check your option for multi.

If you switch on matchmaking you will get A LOT of signs and other stuff but you will be mathed up with people from whole world which basically means that it will be lag fest. Good feature but for future where there won't be many players.

Then if you switch it off you will play via region. Don't know if it is via your country or EU. What i noticed though is that i switched Steam download region from Poland to Germany and i definitively have more signs to use.

Already tried. This just gives me infinite loading screens when a summon failed requiring me to hard reset the game. Wonderful. Just thinking about this and the fucked up/useless covenants makes me rage again wtf

best thing in DS3 is Nameless King. His character debunks all those retarded theories that Solair is lost firstborn of Gwyn. Solairfags BTO :yeah:

6. Bosses: Mostly acceptable, but nothing really stand-out, which is a major let down. The second-phase schtick also gets incredibly tiresome..

really? nothing stand-out compared to what? 3 asylum demons or covetous demon?:lol:

Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, Lothric+Lorian, Dancer, Abyss Watchers are top tier boss fights with great gameplay and presentation.

Than you have Aldritch and Pontiff which are not only rather good fights but also characters with cool lore implications.

Gimmick fights like Yhorm or Wolnir are certainly better than Bed of bullshit or Dragon God. Even if Yhorm is just Storm King 2.0 he is at least heavily involved with Siegward questline.

Even fan-service boss like Dragonslayer Armor is much better than Old Dragonslayer in DS2. He is good one on one fight with cool as fuck apocalyptic scenery.

The only shit tier boss is Ancient Wyrm and i would still take that plunging attack over fighting Ancient Dragon in DS2.

I think people get spoiled by 5 Souls titles in 7 years and you need some reality check. Compare those bosses to any other titles in action-rpg genre and you have massive pool of shitty boss fights in Dragon Age, Kingdom of Amalur, Twicher 2&3, Fallout 3&4, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Diablo 3... There is Dragons Dogma and 15 years old Blade of Darkness and thats pretty much it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
best thing in DS3 is Nameless King. His character debunks all those retarded theories that Solair is lost firstborn of Gwyn. Solairfags BTO :yeah:

6. Bosses: Mostly acceptable, but nothing really stand-out, which is a major let down. The second-phase schtick also gets incredibly tiresome..

really? nothing stand-out compared to what? 3 asylum demons or covetous demon?:lol:

Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, Lothric+Lorian, Dancer, Abyss Watchers are top tier boss fights with great gameplay and presentation.

Than you have Aldritch and Pontiff which are not only rather good fights but also characters with cool lore implications.

Gimmick fights like Yhorm or Wolnir are certainly better than Bed of bullshit or Dragon God. Even if Yhorm is just Storm King 2.0 he is at least heavily involved with Siegward questline.

Even fan-service boss like Dragonslayer Armor is much better than Old Dragonslayer in DS2. He is good one on one fight with cool as fuck apocalyptic scenery.

The only shit tier boss is Ancient Wyrm and i would still take that plunging attack over fighting Ancient Dragon in DS2.

I think people get spoiled by 5 Souls titles in 7 years and you need some reality check. Compare those bosses to any other titles in action-rpg genre and you have massive pool of shitty boss fights in Dragon Age, Kingdom of Amalur, Twicher 2&3, Fallout 3&4, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Diablo 3... There is Dragons Dogma and 15 years old Blade of Darkness and thats pretty much it.

Dark Souls 3 on a whole is the best in the series. People have some serious Rose Tintery going on when they thing DS1 or Lollll DS2 is better.

I do think DS3 has some cons.. like in level design.. bonfire placement is weird.. sometimes there are 3 right next to each other.. and then in other places like the Dungeons you see one an hour. The shortcuts can also be largely redundent especially compared to pre-Anor Londo DS1. Bonfire teleporting hurts the game IMO but that started in DS2.

However, mechanics, gear selection and bosses are all hugely improved in Dark Souls 3. I am not sure what I expected though..

I remember when everyone said DS2 was shit compared to DS1 and the series has gone down hill...
now those same cucks are coming out of the woodwork saying how great DS2 was and DS3 is destroying the series.
Fuck off. :lol:

Seeing Aldrich eat the soul of Gwen when you enter the fog gate.. oh man pure lore ecstasy.. I can't wait to see the videos when people dig more into the implications and lore of this game and the references to DS1/2

Wolfe

Arbiter
I agree with meanwhileInPoland, overall, the roster of bosses in this one is the best in the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom