Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Maybe he'll be back at Firelink after the boss, then you can whack him.

Btw with aggressive bosses like the Watchers, Pontiff or SoC changing aggro is everything.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Trying to beat the Abyss Watchers on NG+ and I'm at my 20th attempt. Either they boosted up their aggressiveness or I dunno. Took me 3 tries on NG. The second phase is fucking insane, the spam rate of the flame dude is just relentless and he jumps away at my swings constantly.

:rage:

Urbanolo

Augur
Trying to beat the Abyss Watchers on NG+ and I'm at my 20th attempt. Either they boosted up their aggressiveness or I dunno. Took me 3 tries on NG. The second phase is fucking insane, the spam rate of the flame dude is just relentless and he jumps away at my swings constantly.

:rage:

Is their poise also non existent on NG+? I remember them getting staggered by anything (unlike other bosses).

Mystary!

Arcane
I had a similar experience on my second character, normal NG. First time it took me 5, second atleast twice as many attempts, and by then I was even better prepared with better gear and I knew how to beat him.
Perhaps there's a way to trigger specific combos I'm not aware of - being at the right distance and angle, and at the right time - but it feels like it just comes down to dumb luck getting his worst combos enough times to survive and do damage, other times you get fucked by his 7-hit combos several times in a row. Sometimes he allows you to chug, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he pauses between combos, sometimes he doesn't.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is their poise also non existent on NG+? I remember them getting staggered by anything (unlike other bosses).

Yes you can stagger them but in the second phase you can get in maybe 2 hits, 3 max, before he rolls away or goes into his heavy attack animation. It's not advisable to go for the R1 spam, u gun get rekt. Also I finally got them, had to go 2H greatsword on them.

As a side note, the Moonlight Greatsword is not very impressive this time around IMO. Maybe because how the split damage works, maybe because of the gimped range, dunno. The weapon art is great tho and still hits for 1000+.

it feels like it just comes down to dumb luck getting his worst combos enough times to survive and do damage, other times you get fucked by his 7-hit combos several times in a row. Sometimes he allows you to chug, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he pauses between combos, sometimes he doesn't.

Yeah, his attacks are random and sometimes you just get rekt since he doesn't allow you to chug. Better not get hit at all. Btw I went for some sunbro action after that and if I'm a spirit I get hit MUCH harder. At one point he basically one-shot me with his flame trail (I was about 80% HP).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing I noticed in Dark Souls 3 is how everything now feels old, and dead. Compared to the first game. With that I mean, other civilizations still existed and people stuck in that hell hole that was DS1 still held a positive outlook. But in DS3 there is only doom & gloom. There is such an depressive vibe throughout the game. Just look at the asylum demon on the bridge. All moldy, and it looks like birds have shit all over him. And from what I have read, and seen by myself the place where you meet Gundyr (or how you spell his name) is the old Firelink area from DS1. Now sunken down, almost now fallen off into the dark abyss to forever be forgotten. I feel it kinda goes together with how they now have turned off online mode for DS1. Stuff is ending. When I'm thinking about it I feel all melancholy. Maybe it is an okay send off for the series? I don't know, but maybe Miyazaki thought the series was getting old & stale, and wanted to end it on that note - that everything eventually dies / crumbles.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Well Miyazaki getting tired of the franchise and sabotaging DS3 would certainly explain why its such a piece of shit :)

praetor

Arcane
Surprised with the hate on Aldrich, he seemed to me at the very minimum to be a novel idea (that is, not a dude swinging his weapons at you), and he really doesn't require a lot of dodging at all, as most of his attacks can be avoided by running. If anything, his problem is that just running at him and mashing R1 is a very good strategy, and the only attack you need to care about is the arrow rain. With some tweaking, though, I think he could be made into an awesome bossfight.

why are you surprised? :P

to me, this bossfight is nothing more than Gwyndongling 2.0, with next to no cover and virtually the same attacks as 1.0 (with the added scythe) that are much more frequent, combined and powerful and one mistake can cost you the whole fight (at least on my 25 vig char) because they'll essentially one shot you. it's "roll roll roll roll" for a minute while (s)he spams the arsenal, then whack it until it disappears. same shit as the original except in a different room with next to no cover so you have to be constantly rolling instead of waiting behind a pillar. it's boring as fuck

on my char, literally every death was to the arrows, directly or indirectly. first fight, phase one, (s)he fires arrows and the first volley staggers me enough for the next 2 to kill me (was at full health at the time. i usually wear lloyd's ring for bosses so i try to be at 100% as much as i can). felt like bullshit to me. death number two was in phase 2 because i didn't expect the arrow rain to last so damn long and home so much. my mistake, but it was still a one shot. still bullshit. death number three, after mashing roll so much my finger hurts while dodging the simultaneous spam of arrows, homing missiles (which can stagger you if enough of them home on you at the same time, which is quite a bit random. so again it can feel like bullshit) and soul spears, (s)he moves towards me with the scythe, clips me, staggers and the homing arrow rain finishes me off. bullshit? death four was because i while trying to roll through the arrow rain i get clipped, which is enough to stagger me for herhim to fire a soul spear that hits me at exactly the moment i got staggered, the soul spear knocks me down (and does damage for about 70-80% of my health bar) and the next one arrives at exactly the nanosecond my wakeup iframes are gone, mashing roll didn't help so again i was essentially one-shot. again it felt like total bullshit

tl;dr: none of my deaths to it felt like anything but complete and utter cheap bullshit

these were essentially all my deaths to that boss, and none of them felt like i deserved it. technically, none of them were one-shots per se, but in essence were the same. and one-shot bosses (or mobs), in my opinion, are made of 100% bullshit. when i killed it, it was basically when the RNG god decided (s)he won't spam everything at the same time in phase 2 so i could dodge that shit without getting hit by something. and it was boring as fuck and not at all satisfying (as pissed as i was for sully, at least it felt somewhat satsfying killing him)

i really don't see how "some" tweaking could make this boss salvageable and not just bottom, shit-tier. as i said, it relies on the exact same attacks as the original, but upgraded in terms of damage, spam and homing capabilities, boss health and a room with virtually no cover for anything but the small homing spells (which can be quite often nullified in phase 2 thanks to you needing to be constantly on the move because of the unblockable arrows and spears [didn't try to block the scythe. is it possible?] or because (s)he moves while spamming them)

holy fuck what a tl;dr for a crappy boss :)

It's one of the annoying things about DS3 for me, there are a lot of very cool boss designs in it (Abyss Watchers, Aldrich, Dancer, Twin Princes which you will see soon and likely oneshot as well), but they are crippled by a combination of healing being too strong, AI being passive and erratic, and R1 spam staggering.

man, Abyss Watchers could've been such a great fight if they weren't backstabbable and so easily staggered. Dancer looked okay, got summoned a couple of times there and she seemed much less passive than when i fought her. dunno about the princes, hopefully i'll get there tomorrow or saturday when i'll have more time

btw, i wandered into the consumed garden of bullshit (+1 on the black mutated hollows hate. truly awfully designed enemies. for me personally 10 times more idiotic than the crocdogs in irithyll, about on par with the spastic frostknight), and the boss seemed okay. nothing special, but nothing particularly good either. is this famed Nameless King the only good boss fight in the game? :(

one other thing. every single bossfight having 2 phases gets old rather quickly. Abyss Watchers would've been much better (still subpar) if it had only phase 2

what lvl did you fight aldritch? i finished the game with 25 vigor and not one of his attacks one-shot me in ember form. tbh he is great boss not only he has one of the best backstories/lore in Souls games but his fight is actually challenging in good ways. You learn his patterns than develop strategy. He is not easily exploitable with raising your shield and circle strafing he has no bullshit instant kill grab attacks nor endless spam of 5 hits combo.

The only attack you have to dodge/run away from is his rain of arrows. In this case it is advisable to run from the arrows not roll. Running costs you less stamina than rolling from him and you can easily outrun the arrows. If you try to roll away you will end up with no stamina to get back at him and attack.

I did not even bother to dodge his souls spear attacks just blocked them with shield with high stability/high magic defense. He does not fight like a Gwyndolin aside from one magic attack where he cast at you couple weak magic missiles. His soul arrow spell is different so is his bow attack. There are pillars in the room and they do give you cover for everything except rain of arrows. he is also weak to fire

tl dr: comparing aldritch to bed of bullshit or dragon god :notsureifserious:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Aldritch is a great boss. Anything that's not a knight spamming his sword in your face is welcomed. After the knight fest that was DS2 I thought Miyazaki will bring more variety again but sadly, half of the bosses are knights again.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
btw, i wandered into the consumed garden of bullshit (+1 on the black mutated hollows hate. truly awfully designed enemies. for me personally 10 times more idiotic than the crocdogs in irithyll, about on par with the spastic frostknight),

That's what greatbows are for :smug:

to rationalize my high investment in STR :negative:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Considering the only good bosses in the game are among the "knights", I'd consider this a blessing in disguise. Do you yearn for more Curse-Rotten Greatwoods, cvv?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Considering the only good bosses in the game are among the "knights", I'd consider this a blessing in disguise. Do you yearn for more Curse-Rotten Greatwoods, cvv?

I enjoyed the gimmicky bosses like the Greatwood or Wolnir a lot (except Yhorm, that one was stupid), even tho they're so trivial. At least it's variety, not everything has to be a roll spam with a hit or two snuck in between.

EDIT: Bosses are nowhere near the biggest problem anyway. The more I play the more it fucking annoys me how the poise and stagger work in this game. What kind of mechanics is it where you can cut through the entire PvE content like through a butter with +10 Raw Longsword no matter your class or playstyle? So sad.

Mystary!

Arcane
Aldrich was easy once I realized you could block the arrows with a shield. Pushes you back through the room, bracing behind the shield in a special animation - atleast I hadn't seen that before but I think most strong boss attacks does that if you have enough stability.
Edit: I mean I kinda assumed you wouldn't be able to block it since it was coming from above. :roll:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
What kind of mechanics is it where you can cut through the entire PvE content like through a butter with +10 Raw Longsword no matter your class or playstyle? So sad.

You just described every Souls game. Not only +10 Raw Longsword but also +0 normal longsword as well as punching people in face or +0 dagger.

Damage isn't crux of the game and never was.

Aldrich was easy once I realized you could block the arrows with a shield. Pushes you back through the room, bracing behind the shield in a special animation - atleast I hadn't seen that before but I think most strong boss attacks does that if you have enough stability.

If you mean by backroll with shield it is from DS1. I hated that they removed ton of animations from DS1 in DS2 including that roll as well as downscalled animation system overall.

DS3 gets new animations but still retains floaty movement of DS2.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Am I the only one who thought the Watchers had a great design mechanically? Having additional ones show up that are allied to you so you can pit them against each other was awesome, a great turn around from the 4 kings fight. And the second phase was decent as well, with the delayed flame trails forcing you to pay attention to where you were rlling and trying to get counter hits from.

slymer

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Longsword has always been one of the best weapons in souls games. Great moveset, good damage. Nothing sad about that.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Am I the only one who thought the Watchers had a great design mechanically? Having additional ones show up that are allied to you so you can pit them against each other was awesome, a great turn around from the 4 kings fight. And the second phase was decent as well, with the delayed flame trails forcing you to pay attention to where you were rlling and trying to get counter hits from.

Yea that might sound fun... but it's actually shit because of esoteric things like "Floatyness", "Enemies With Bad Mechanics I personally don't Like" and "Forced Pandering AKA.. Armor you've seen before".

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Lol how cheap of a bossfight was Molnir? Might as well just put some trashmobs there and be done with it

Perkel

Arcane
Longsword has always been one of the best weapons in souls games. Great moveset, good damage. Nothing sad about that.

pretty much any +10 weapon is good to finish whole game. Souls do have some crappy weapon but even those crappy ones do have their fans that do finish game with them.

My weapon of choice if i want to play something different is usually warpick.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wolnir was very clearly more of an atmospheric setpiece than a real boss; if they'd made him more difficult you'd have to go through the cup bullshit each time, which would start feeling retarded pretty fast. Better if most people beat him on the first attempt. Plenty of other bosses to smash your balls in over and over.

Ivan

Arcane
Champion Gundyr is prob my fav boss. Having a lot more trouble with my 2nd NG character (katana). May be the slow ass swings that get me in trouble. That fucking KICK though

also, am I the only one who really liked the Ancient Wyvern? They put Shadow of the Colossus in my Dark Souls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom