Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Wolfe

Arbiter
Go through the cup bullshit each time? I thought you could skip that? I know I did every time I retried the boss.

Didn't like the Wyvern, it was a one gimmick fight, and although interesting to figure out for the first time, very boring for the next.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
You just described every Souls game. Not only +10 Raw Longsword but also +0 normal longsword as well as punching people in face or +0 dagger.

Damage isn't crux of the game and never was..

The problem isn't small weapons being viable late-game, it's that few larges ones are. In previous Souls games this was only a problem in PvP.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, they're viable enough for PvE anyways. Normal enemies will go flying and bosses tend to have pretty wide windows for attacking, it's just less frequent than the smaller windows that let you get off rapier swipes. Learning to use the roll attacks and so forth helps a lot. But it's not like it's any harder to get off a swing with a great hammer than it is a dual weapon combo.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
There's no real benefit to using slow weapons over fast ones in this game, whatever knockdown and pancaking capabilities you get are more than countered by being staggered out of attacks by literally everything. I say this as someone who plays with slow weapons a lot.

Fast weapons are also beneficial because a lot of bosses in the game seem to have very erratic AI and long windows of absolute passivity - these are much easier to capitalize on with a fast weapon that doesn't force a big commitment and allows for more reactive dodges. This is how people beat Dancer on their first try, they just walk up to her and mash R1 as she walks around without attacking.

Am I the only one who thought the Watchers had a great design mechanically? Having additional ones show up that are allied to you so you can pit them against each other was awesome, a great turn around from the 4 kings fight. And the second phase was decent as well, with the delayed flame trails forcing you to pay attention to where you were rlling and trying to get counter hits from.

Yea that might sound fun... but it's actually shit because of esoteric things like "Floatyness", "Enemies With Bad Mechanics I personally don't Like" and "Forced Pandering AKA.. Armor you've seen before".

Now now bro, I can see that you're upset about meanies insulting your precious DS3, but I don't think anyone in this thread complained about the overall design of Abyss Watchers. Even praetor liked it overall, and he hates everything. We're simply disappointed that such a cool boss can be so easily trivialized by mashing R1 and stunlocking him for 1/3rd of his HP, not to speak of how powerful backstabs are against him.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Now now bro, I can see that you're upset about meanies insulting your precious DS3, but I don't think anyone in this thread complained about the overall design of Abyss Watchers. Even praetor liked it overall, and he hates everything. We're simply disappointed that such a cool boss can be so easily trivialized by mashing R1 and stunlocking him for 1/3rd of his HP, not to speak of how powerful backstabs are against him.

:x

Abyss Watchers were pretty fun and while you can very easily stagger backstab them in phase 1.. in Phase 2 on NG+ I was unable to R1 spam.
I think the weakest bosses in DS3 are Ocerios or whatever and Yhorm the Giant. Yhorm is the gimmick boss of the series and is basically meant for Sun bros to farm coins AFAIK. So whatever. A little disappointing considering how cool he looked in the trailer.

EDIT
I think my biggest beef with the haters are that they hold DS3 to such a high expectation when DS1 wasn't really that much better.

If I go back and play DS1.. guaranteed I will get to at least Quelaag without dying once without even trying.. After her I probably get to Ornestein and Smough without dying again.

That wouldn't even be considered exceptional or even above average. Most Dark Souls players could easily do that.
DS1 is not a hard game when stacked against DS3. I don't get all the bitching. Many of the complaints raised here are just as valid in DS1.

If you want to argue that all 3 games are shit. Okay fine, different strokes for different folks.

That really isn't any different from the previous games though. I played through DS1 both with a light spear and with fuckass huge greatswords- spear was definitely easier for bosses at comparable weapon levels. People just had a higher opinion of heavy weapons in DS1 because black knight weapons were speedrunner-tier windfalls when you'd otherwise be using your +4 longsword or whatever. And getting staggered out of everything is exacly where heavy weapons have a benefit- their movesets have a lot more hyper armour frames. I fooled around with a strength build in the endgame and won plenty of boss fights by just getting the hulk buff from the club and trading hits with bosses then chugging estus when my stamina ran out. Yeah, the rapier would have worked too in a different style, but the giant club was by no means unviable.

Yea... Check my edit.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That really isn't any different from the previous games though. I played through DS1 both with a light spear and with fuckass huge greatswords- spear was definitely easier for bosses at comparable weapon levels. People just had a higher opinion of heavy weapons in DS1 because black knight weapons were speedrunner-tier windfalls when you'd otherwise be using your +4 longsword or whatever. And getting staggered out of everything is exacly where heavy weapons have a benefit- their movesets have a lot more hyper armour frames. I fooled around with a strength build in the endgame and won plenty of boss fights by just getting the hulk buff from the club and trading hits with bosses then chugging estus when my stamina ran out. Yeah, the rapier would have worked too in a different style, but the giant club was by no means unviable.

Armour is another consideration; in previous games there was actually a significant benefit to running around in full havel's or whatever, but that shit weighed a ton so you wanted a light weapon to avoid going over the limits and giving you fat rolls. In DS3 you may as well just wear the master's rags and carry that 20lbs weapon instead because the difference in absorbtion is negligible unless you're running an extremely specialized defensive build.

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Did they change something with the netcode? Did almost nothing but invading in the catac8mbs today and had some solid fights against multiple squads. Players are so squishy 3 hits with dark knight gs will finish them :p farming that set really payed of and in general I am not even a fan of ridicolously huge weapons.

Also, where do I have to go to progress onion bro questline after first encounter and fight with him?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What kind of mechanics is it where you can cut through the entire PvE content like through a butter with +10 Raw Longsword no matter your class or playstyle? So sad.

You just described every Souls game. Not only +10 Raw Longsword but also +0 normal longsword as well as punching people in face or +0 dagger.

It's not about the weapon, it's about the fact that almost every single enemy, including many bosses, get staggered with each hit of a small sword (small compared to the animu greatswords). There are very, very few regular mobs that don't - the big crystal lizards, the worm things outside the Cleansing Chapel, the cathedral knights, the Darkwraiths, maybe a couple more. I don't remember this shit from DS1, dunno might be wrong but it wasn't as flagrant.

It completely negates the point of giant heavy weapons that are only good for PvP due to hyper armor.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I ordered a new graphics card and I'm gonna start a new game once I get it, but I still can't decide: STR or DEX? Is a quality build viable?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also, where do I have to go to progress onion bro questline after first encounter and fight with him?

Cathedral of the Deep.

Spoilery quest details.

In the Cathedral first open the big shortcut doors you first encounter when coming from the cemetery. Then go to the Chapel, go outside and on your right in the corner there's a well, you'd probably never approach deliberately. Talk to Siegward, then go visit Patches, buy his armor and bring it to him. Next you'll find him by the fire in the kitchen under Irithyll - lightly missable.

Last step is a bitch, there's super missable window you have to jump into from the roof of the small church in the swamp area in the Profane Capital. He's in a cell but by then you should have all the keys if you explore everything. After that he'll join you in the Yhorm fight.

Players are so squishy 3 hits with dark knight gs will finish them :p farming that set really payed of
How long did it take you? What's the drop rate? I tried to farm them, killed about 15 of them but even with the Gold Serpent and Coins hardly anything ever dropped.

I ordered a new graphics card and I'm gonna start a new game once I get it, but I still can't decide: STR or DEX? Is a quality build viable?

Doesn't matter if STR or DEX, there are plenty of great weapons for each build. What matters is straight swords are better than any other weapon, both DEX or STR scaling.

Quality build is great but I'd leave it for NG+.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Did they change something with the netcode? Did almost nothing but invading in the catac8mbs today and had some solid fights against multiple squads. Players are so squishy 3 hits with dark knight gs will finish them :p farming that set really payed of and in general I am not even a fan of ridicolously huge weapons.

More likely the servers just aren't getting hammered with a bunch of players.
DS3 is their fastest selling game by far in case the 3 million soap stone summon signs weren't an indication.. I imagine they weren't expecting this much popularity.

Strength is much more viable in DS3 then it was in DS2 / 1.. Mostly because Strength actually has access to weapons that aren't shit and larger weapons have much better tracking.

In fact.. because of how base mitigation works.. Large weapons are very strong against light armored players.. which is basically the entire pvp meta so people can get medium rolls.

praetor

Arcane
what lvl did you fight aldritch? i finished the game with 25 vigor and not one of his attacks one-shot me in ember form. tbh he is great boss not only he has one of the best backstories/lore in Souls games but his fight is actually challenging in good ways. You learn his patterns than develop strategy. He is not easily exploitable with raising your shield and circle strafing he has no bullshit instant kill grab attacks nor endless spam of 5 hits combo.

The only attack you have to dodge/run away from is his rain of arrows. In this case it is advisable to run from the arrows not roll. Running costs you less stamina than rolling from him and you can easily outrun the arrows. If you try to roll away you will end up with no stamina to get back at him and attack.

I did not even bother to dodge his souls spear attacks just blocked them with shield with high stability/high magic defense. He does not fight like a Gwyndolin aside from one magic attack where he cast at you couple weak magic missiles. His soul arrow spell is different so is his bow attack. There are pillars in the room and they do give you cover for everything except rain of arrows. he is also weak to fire

tl dr: comparing aldritch to bed of bullshit or dragon god :notsureifserious:

let's see:

gwyndong 1 spams small homing magic missiles... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 has a fast cast/fast travel speed/high damage spell (s)he likes to cast in conjunction with the magic spam... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 likes to fire arrows... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 disappears soon after you get close and reappears far away soon after that... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 has a very limited melee moveset... so does gwyndong 2

of course, everything gwyndong 2 does is "upgraded" (mainly in damage and spamming) compared to gwyndong 1, like i already explained in my previous post, but i guess for fanboys "reading is teh hard"

the dynamic of the fight is essentially the same: dodge/run away from the magic for like a minute (very boring), whack him while he does literally nothing, then he disappears in the far corner, then you dodge some more and when he's static again whack away. literally the same exact shit as gwyndong 1, except his magic spam is turned up to 11 so it can kill you with ease if you don't dodge/run near-perfectly. to me, this shit is as boring and idiotic as it gets, and is easily on par with the bed of bullshit. it's not a challenging boss fight, at all, it's fucking annoying

no, none of his attacks are technically one-shots. i thought i was pretty clear about that... yup, just re-read what i wrote and i was really explicit about it. even gave some concrete examples detailing it. learn to read english in poland i guess, or potato no speako englais?

Aldrich was easy once I realized you could block the arrows with a shield. Pushes you back through the room, bracing behind the shield in a special animation - atleast I hadn't seen that before but I think most strong boss attacks does that if you have enough stability.
Edit: I mean I kinda assumed you wouldn't be able to block it since it was coming from above. :roll:

i tried blocking the arrows with shield (knight shield +3 or +5, can't remember what it was at the time) and it was just ignored. died instantly

fanboys gonna fanboy. even the smallest criticism is automatically equated with "it's utter shit" and they need to defend it to death. fanboys are the epitome of morons

If I go back and play DS1.. guaranteed I will get to at least Quelaag without dying once without even trying.. After her I probably get to Ornestein and Smough without dying again.

if i go play DaS1 now i could probably finish it without dying by playing with a wheel using my nipples and wielding a broken sword -10. goddamn you're the worst kind of fanboy

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Cathedral of the Deep.

Spoilery quest details.

In the Cathedral first open the big shortcut doors you first encounter when coming from the cemetery. Then go to the Chapel, go outside and on your right in the corner there's a well, you'd probably never approach deliberately. Talk to Siegward, then go visit Patches, buy his armor and bring it to him. Next you'll find him by the fire in the kitchen under Irithyll - lightly missable.

Last step is a bitch, there's super missable window you have to jump into from the roof of the small church in the swamp area in the Profane Capital. He's in a cell but by then you should have all the keys if you explore everything. After that he'll join you in the Yhorm fight.

Players are so squishy 3 hits with dark knight gs will finish them :p farming that set really payed of
How long did it take you? What's the drop rate? I tried to farm them, killed about 15 of them but even with the Gold Serpent and Coins hardly anything ever dropped.

Doesn't matter if STR or DEX, there are plenty of great weapons for each build. What matters is straight swords are better than any other weapon, both DEX or STR scaling.

Quality build is great but I'd leave it for NG+.

Took almost 4 hours to get his whole set :/ I deliberately wasted almost 150k souls by jumping off a cliff so I wont get overlevelled farming him. But as said, the shield is very good, the chestpiece and sword also. Longest it took me was the chestpiece, gauntlets and helmet dropped regularly.

Thanks for the nudge with the questline, seems I have to visit the cathedral next!

Villagkouras

Arcane
Finished the game. Of course it is a great game nonetheless, and From should be given credit that they are in their 5th game of Soulsborne series and every single one is good. When people shit over DS 2 which had its flaws, I'd like to think that it is compared to other Souls games and not other games. Otherwise they're retarded.

Pros:

* Level design is the best in the series. Ok, there's no wow moment like going down to Firelink Shrine from Undead Burg, but the world is interconnected. Anyone who found Stray Demon should acknowledge that. I took my time to explore as much as I could and it's by far the best experience in this game. They did an excellent job there.
* Atmosphere: The game came back to DS 1 standards of a world full of misery, despair and grief.
* Technical stuff. Hitboxes are great, optimization was good in my low end PC, controls are very tight (except for the kick, it's the first Souls game I couldn't kick whenever I wanted). One thing, From: Find a way to change the goddamn XBOX controller icons. There are players with kb+m and you shit all over them.
* Mobs and boss design. Clearly the mobs are very well designed and they have a lot of variety either as designs or abilities. Bosses are glorious as it should have always been. From did an excellent job with Bloodborne too in that regard, so I think they have many talented designers.

Cons:

* Too much reused Bloodborne assets. I've platinumed Bloodborne, so I know each area very well. I could spot each and every one of the areas that look like Bloodborne's. Even the book ladders in Grand Archives. That's not that big of a deal, but still, they could have put some more effort in this.
* NPCs. I know that From sidequest require a lot of trial & error, but they went too far this time. Maybe that's the reason people complain that the NPCs are bland: We don't get to meet most of them. That's great new for Vaati and all youtube channels, but not for us.
* I would like the game to be a bit longer. 30 hours for first playthrough is kinda short and I saw everything. I did DS 1 & DS 2 in 55 hours each and Bloodborne in 40 hours and I missed 2 areas (55 hours in my full playthrough with all areas and the Chalice Dungeons and I was far better as a player then).

My final point is combat which doesn't belong neither in Pros nor in Cons. I divide combat into two segments: Encounter design and Combat per se. Perkel did an excellent job analyzing encounters design and I don't want to add anything more. Excellent job. So, in core combat, I don't think it's bad at all. But it's borderline a Dark Souls game. I would praise it like a madman if it was another IP. But I want Dark Souls to be Dark Souls. I think that's the reason Miyazaki will stop the series, because he respects his "child" and doesn't want to change its substance, which is clearly a From's decision regarding these kind of games. My biggest complain is not the fast pace and roll spamming. It's not the aggressive approach from me and enemies. It's not the "weird" movesets (enemy raises its hand and instead of hitting me, holds it in air for a second, then hits me, who does this?). It's not the shields becoming secondary tactic. It's all these combined. It detracts from what Dark Souls is and I don't like this.

I've never touched PVP so I can't comment on it.

All in all, Dark Souls III is a great game. And fuck my life, because starting tomorrow I would browse these forums to find an interesting new game and I'd load piece of shit games like Hyper Light Drifter because they're challenging and reward exploration. Fuck.

Mortmal

Arcane
Str/dex , 40/40 (softcap) quality build is perfectly viable, its probably the most powerful build efficient for both pve and pvp.Use a dark blade like everyone or a refined longsword.

what lvl did you fight aldritch? i finished the game with 25 vigor and not one of his attacks one-shot me in ember form. tbh he is great boss not only he has one of the best backstories/lore in Souls games but his fight is actually challenging in good ways. You learn his patterns than develop strategy. He is not easily exploitable with raising your shield and circle strafing he has no bullshit instant kill grab attacks nor endless spam of 5 hits combo.

The only attack you have to dodge/run away from is his rain of arrows. In this case it is advisable to run from the arrows not roll. Running costs you less stamina than rolling from him and you can easily outrun the arrows. If you try to roll away you will end up with no stamina to get back at him and attack.

I did not even bother to dodge his souls spear attacks just blocked them with shield with high stability/high magic defense. He does not fight like a Gwyndolin aside from one magic attack where he cast at you couple weak magic missiles. His soul arrow spell is different so is his bow attack. There are pillars in the room and they do give you cover for everything except rain of arrows. he is also weak to fire

tl dr: comparing aldritch to bed of bullshit or dragon god :notsureifserious:
let's see:

gwyndong 1 spams small homing magic missiles... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 has a fast cast/fast travel speed/high damage spell (s)he likes to cast in conjunction with the magic spam... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 likes to fire arrows... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 disappears soon after you get close and reappears far away soon after that... so does gwyndong 2

gwyndong 1 has a very limited melee moveset... so does gwyndong 2

of course, everything gwyndong 2 does is "upgraded" (mainly in damage and spamming) compared to gwyndong 1, like i already explained in my previous post, but i guess for fanboys "reading is teh hard"

the dynamic of the fight is essentially the same: dodge/run away from the magic for like a minute (very boring), whack him while he does literally nothing, then he disappears in the far corner, then you dodge some more and when he's static again whack away. literally the same exact shit as gwyndong 1, except his magic spam is turned up to 11 so it can kill you with ease if you don't dodge/run near-perfectly. to me, this shit is as boring and idiotic as it gets, and is easily on par with the bed of bullshit. it's not a challenging boss fight, at all, it's fucking annoying

no, none of his attacks are technically one-shots. i thought i was pretty clear about that... yup, just re-read what i wrote and i was really explicit about it. even gave some concrete examples detailing it. learn to read english in poland i guess, or potato no speako englais?

Aldrich was easy once I realized you could block the arrows with a shield. Pushes you back through the room, bracing behind the shield in a special animation - atleast I hadn't seen that before but I think most strong boss attacks does that if you have enough stability.
Edit: I mean I kinda assumed you wouldn't be able to block it since it was coming from above. :roll:

i tried blocking the arrows with shield (knight shield +3 or +5, can't remember what it was at the time) and it was just ignored. died instantly

fanboys gonna fanboy. even the smallest criticism is automatically equated with "it's utter shit" and they need to defend it to death. fanboys are the epitome of morons

if i go play DaS1 now i could probably finish it without dying by playing with a wheel using my nipples and wielding a broken sword -10. goddamn you're the worst kind of fanboy

well maybe instead of telling me to go and learn English you should go and learn when to attack and when to roll? Your previous post about fighting aldritch was "i mashed r1 and tried to roll roll roll through all his attacks like a retard and was surprised i run out of stamina or got clipped". You sound really butthurt your brilliant tactics of desperately whacking him with r1 until he disappears did not work that well. "he staggered me! he clipped me! i couldnt roll away fast enough! i dont count it as a death. it was cheap rng!":roll::lol:
he takes fucking ages to draw his bow and release rain of arrows but i guess you were to busy whacking at him to notice its time to run not roll :salute:

He doesnt spamm magic. He never throw more than twice in a row same attack and if you cant dodge two souls spears than i hardly believe you could

finish it without dying by playing with a wheel using my nipples and wielding a broken sword -10

I already told you can block all but one of his attacks and you can use pillars to hide from homing missiles so you dont deplete your stamina on blocking/rolling. But i guess choosing proper gear and using environment to your advantage never occurred to you ... Strange since its supposedly Gwyndolin 2.0 and high magic res and pillars were crucial in that fight :M

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
All in all, Dark Souls III is a great game. And fuck my life, because starting tomorrow I would browse these forums to find an interesting new game and I'd load piece of shit games like Hyper Light Drifter because they're challenging and reward exploration. Fuck.

Hyper Light Drifter is a great game. It has exploration, it has atmosphere, it has combat and it has great bosses. In fact I had more fun with that one than with DaS3. The game is a gem.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
This whole discussion about Aldrich has me really confused because running at him and mashing R1 was literally what I did to win. Barely dodged anything and just ran away from the arrow rain in phase 2. Only real consideration was to roll through the large missiles if he fired them at me as I ran at him and not stand in fire.

Armour is another consideration; in previous games there was actually a significant benefit to running around in full havel's or whatever, but that shit weighed a ton so you wanted a light weapon to avoid going over the limits and giving you fat rolls. In DS3 you may as well just wear the master's rags and carry that 20lbs weapon instead because the difference in absorbtion is negligible unless you're running an extremely specialized defensive build.

In boss fights the difference is not that big, and mostly comes down to how many hits you can get in with a given weapon - I had the most success with UGS roll attacks against Nameless King, for example, as his openings are just long enough to get that in, and a faster weapon would just result in less damage. Against normal enemies though, fast weapons are much better than slow ones in this game. I'd like to learn more about these hyperarmor frames though, because I honestly haven't noticed any. Maybe at the very end of the animation, but that's honestly not very useful. I'm currently using an Estoc on my second playthrough and it's hilarious how easy the combat is with it compared to a greatsword.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

How am I fanboy? I just ask that people judge DS3 the same way you judge DS1.
I haven't even read a single post of yours until now.

Ohhh man what a terrible crime. Dontchu dare make fun of mah vidyas!!! Grrrrrr!

You have gone full retard over nothing.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Just hafäd 20 straight up duels against another guy using red eye orb and boy that was really really fun. Where do I find this red eyed orb :(

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the hyper armor on big weapons is worthless in pve. trading blows with anything in this game is the worst kind of idea.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Just hafäd 20 straight up duels against another guy using red eye orb and boy that was really really fun. Where do I find this red eyed orb :(

You get the red eye orb by delivering a pale tongue to tuxedo mask by the throne.

He gave me 5 cracked red orbs and disappeared :(

Also, I killed the 48274739 trashmob boss in the cathedral and received a doll. Is that all there is to do inside there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom