Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darkest Dungeon II - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Space Satan, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Generic-Giant-Spider Unwanted

Unwanted
    It was for the Church.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Artyoan Arbiter

Artyoan
    Battle Brothers was quite a bit better. At first I lose men left and right as I learn the game and struggle with no experience and no equipment, and as a core of men come through I began to learn their names finally. It does an outstanding job at making me give a shit about my troops. Darkest Dungeon never made them feel like more than just a template. Its got a great art style and does a lot in terms of atmosphere, but it didn't stay with me. And some decisions like restrictions on entering apprentice level dungeons when at lvl 3 strike me as odd and infuriating. Just stop experience growth if they want the player to try riskier stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jermu Learned

Jermu
    Some ea footage

looks like shit

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ghulgothas Arcane

Ghulgothas
    Man-at-Arm's and Highwayman's jaunting and juking idle animations look goofy as hell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    wha happun to my grave robber. im surprised she didn't cut her fingers.
    [​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in the first pic she's holding TWO knives. it also looks silly. i hate it!

• Edgy Edgy x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    I was hoping for something more akin to Battle Brotheres or X-Com-like. Very sad that they decided to streamline the shit out of their game instead of improving on the existing formula.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Decline is continuous and irreversible.

Everything looks extremely, unneccessarily "busy" and the animations are way too distracting, it's just overload. DD1 looks better on everything but maybe a technical ("there is factually more going on") level.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Generic-Giant-Spider Unwanted

Unwanted
    The UI looks somehow like more of a mess than before. During the battle screen there's tons of dead space beneath and the whole thing looks very mobile friendly.

Animations would look better if they slowed them down, especially the idle stances where they look like they're in Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting. Relationship system seems like boring shit that doesn't add much and I'm guessing this has written over the previous affliction statuses from DD1 which were an area with lots to explore still and tonally fitting. It feels like some barely subtle way to force gay shit into the game without being outright overt with it. Oh boy the Grave Robber and Hellion are AMOROUS! Yay! I'm so happy and stunningly don't give a fuck.

While DD1 had a good share of problems, it at least had a tight vision of what it wanted to be. This game is what happens when you expand your small and humble workspace to let in a bunch of weird ass people who probably wrote Tumblr fanfiction about Reynauld and Dismas being confessional goblins.

At least some of the enemies look cool and the music is good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    I had to double check my settings to see if I had the video playing at double speed, because those idle animations look goofy as hell.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    I watched a few people stream it and it seems like they completely changed the game's genre. The first one was an X-comish base management with sending squads of units on missions, while this one is a rogue-lite where you select a party and then try to go as far as you can and when you die you start over and some upgrades carry over.

Ironically, this seems like this might be an improvement, because the first game's combat and dungeon systems were far too simplistic and repetitive to support a 50+ hour X-com like campaign (I started the game several times but quit every time around half way through cause grinding the same 4 locations with the same 20 enemies with what is essentially mobile game RPG combat got old REALLY fast). Still, this is going to be a bargain bin buy for me.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I first though that the footage was speed up. The animations look way too twitchy

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    He usually records with cheat engine on so yeah, they are sped up.

^ Top  
  13. Salvo Savant

Salvo
    How has this dude not fixed his obnoxious accent yet?
    His voice grates on my ears as if some guy was sawing my balls off

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tarkleigh Learned Patron

Tarkleigh
    Strap Yourselves In
    That is good to know, the animations were driving me insane (even more than his accent)

I don't like the graphical changes but I could probably get used to them as long as the core gameplay (and the awesome atmosphere) are the same. As I don't play early access games, they still have plenty of time to polish this, so I remain (fabulously?) optimistic that it will be good at launch

^ Top  
  15. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Here's a video with a normal animation speed, and a normal non-slav voice.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    Wonder why I didn't know about this... aaah, Epic exclusive... no thank you, I'll pass on this attempt to milk Darkest Dungeon some more.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  18. Sarathiour Savant

Sarathiour
    Ha yes, what was darkest dungeon lacking was obviously a bit of ... dating sims mechanics ?

:majordecline:

^ Top  
  19. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    Game is way overtuned atm. Enemies have massive health pool while ur regular attacks barely make a scratch, you have to heavily rely on rng and hope for a crit to make proper damage. Waiting for a cheat trainer to fix the game like the last one, which was only fixed by trainers and cheat tables.

• decline decline x 2
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    You actually played it? :M

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    It is out ours ago.

^ Top  
  22. BING XI LAO FREE KALIN! Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    Ugly, clunky, tryhard edge, glad I never played this shit. What a shame Vagrus copied this garbage. Guessing it's dumb too.

^ Top  
  23. Parsimonious cook Prophet Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    So even the random mooks get Death´s Door now? I guess that will just make fights unnecessarily tedious... we will see I guess but it seems that the original DD was such a fluke that the Red Hook themselves have no idea how to do something that good again...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Seethe Arbiter

Seethe
    Enemies with Death's Door. Turn 5 limit to defeat the enemy if you want to get stuff. They are really creative when it comes to shit design, I'll give them that. And here I thought the first game reached the peak of this kind of bullshit with the "heart attacks".

And unlockable characters are yet another huge dumb design decision.

Not gonna lie seeing "Deus Vult" baboons seething about this kind of ridiculous self-victimizing shit is amusing. It's even more funny when le ebin "trad caths" like you who enjoy the smell of their own farts are not actually being targeted (like in this case) and you're just being a paranoid moron looking for shit to screech about. Like a feminist frothing at the mouth for not feeling "included", ironically.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Generic-Giant-Spider Unwanted

Unwanted
    Seethe coming in with that impotent atheist rage. Real OGs like Fedora and I will be clinking wine glasses with Darklands saints, this nigga Seethe here gonna be stewing in some shitty pine coffin being eaten by my cousins lmao

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.