Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy Zombie Apocalypse - PS4

.Pixote.

Augur
A very enjoyable game, and I'm playing it on a 10 year old PC running a (2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650), which by modern standards is pure crap, but I can squeeze 20+ frames at medium settings.

GamerBlave has a run through of the entire game for anyone interested in Days Gone.

BruceVC

Magister
So I have spent about 100 hours on this game and I have completed the main narrative, I am going to spend 1-2 more days completing side quests like clearing out hordes. My view on this game hasnt changed, its a great Zombie killing game with some unique features and its well worth playing. It gets a solid 70/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game score system"

Some comments about what I liked and then some spoilers so I dont ruin it for others

• using a bike to navigate the beautiful world was a great touch, I also enjoy the crafting system for the bike and how you noticed improvements
  • destroying hordes is very entertaining
  • I started appreciating the Sarah narrative and it had some twists
  • the factions were interesting and I found the camps believable and realistic in a post-apocalyptic world
And now some spoiler narratives once you complete the main quest

• Jack the puppy was really cute :shittydog:
  • I enjoyed killing the psychopath Carlos
  • I realized Sarah was still alive early on
  • I was disappointed Deek didnt take advantages of the quickie with Rikki. They should gave given you a "yes " option
  • I was very surprised with the last O'Brian quest and how he has evolved to become a freak, its a pity there isn't a sequel

jackofshadows

Magister
I also enjoy the crafting system for the bike and how you noticed improvements
Unbeleivably boring that you cannot/not even supposed to look for parts elsewhere. Just farm rep/buy (money is a non-issue which is also a shame). Hello, the uninspired console crowd approach. Same for guns btw, I imagine they copied those systems from Rockstar games and were afraid to alter them too much lmao. At least you can use enemie bikes for a while and weps for a long time since you can carry several (I used the german machinegun for a very long time before I could "legit" buy it out.
destroying hordes is very entertaining
Wholeheartly agree, the main game's appeal. Although I did all the horde quests before fiinishing the game so it felt like a chore after certain point, they probably should've separated it more like to give a bunch lesser hordes to get rid of first (possible make them optional as well) etc.
I started appreciating the Sarah narrative and it had some twists
both she's alive (otherwise they wouldn't bother with the full scale cut scenes with her from the past) and toughens up are very predictable. Which is why indeed the shame they didn't get the option to bone Rikki or outright force prot to fuck her. At least in that case we'd get some cheap drama afterwards because I was bored to death with the cut-scenes closer to the end. Maybe they decided to do that because Rikki was too important for the dyke power fantasy, she would've been spoiled by filthy man otherwise.

BruceVC

Magister
I also enjoy the crafting system for the bike and how you noticed improvements
Unbeleivably boring that you cannot/not even supposed to look for parts elsewhere. Just farm rep/buy (money is a non-issue which is also a shame). Hello, the uninspired console crowd approach. Same for guns btw, I imagine they copied those systems from Rockstar games and were afraid to alter them too much lmao. At least you can use enemie bikes for a while and weps for a long time since you can carry several (I used the german machinegun for a very long time before I could "legit" buy it out.
destroying hordes is very entertaining
Wholeheartly agree, the main game's appeal. Although I did all the horde quests before fiinishing the game so it felt like a chore after certain point, they probably should've separated it more like to give a bunch lesser hordes to get rid of first (possible make them optional as well) etc.
I started appreciating the Sarah narrative and it had some twists
both she's alive (otherwise they wouldn't bother with the full scale cut scenes with her from the past) and toughens up are very predictable. Which is why indeed the shame they didn't get the option to bone Rikki or outright force prot to fuck her. At least in that case we'd get some cheap drama afterwards because I was bored to death with the cut-scenes closer to the end. Maybe they decided to do that because Rikki was too important for the dyke power fantasy, she would've been spoiled by filthy man otherwise.
You make some good points and I agree the mechanics, like the bike crafting, were limited due to it being a console game design

I use to skip all the initial Sarah scenes when I could, especially when you go to her memorial stone ...man they dragged

And its a pity you couldnt have a quickie with Rikki, I found that unrealistic considering the reality of the world. In a real post-apocalyptic world survivors would be shagging left, right and center :-D

Ezekiel

Arcane
What game started the stupid "berserker" enemies that are in every gritty shooter now? The ones who don't care about their own safety when they charge without a gun towards the player? Was it Tomb Raider 2013?

Started my playthrough on Survival, but found the enemies too spongy. Several rifle shots to take down a freaking dog. But Hard isn't much better in that regard. Balancing is just no good in this game. Don't do much sneaking, because this type of sneaking in action-adventure games is old and tired. Hate crouch makes quiet with a passion. Gunfights are crippled by bad shoulder swapping, like in every other new Sony game.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
What game started the stupid "berserker" enemies that are in every gritty shooter now? The ones who don't care about their own safety when they charge without a gun towards the player? Was it Tomb Raider 2013?
90192a8dbb40616056e1486ef376bf6c.jpg

In terms of modern crap, it wasn't NewTombRaider since Spic Ops the Line had em a year earlier and Killzone 3 a year before that.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yeah, I don't like this game. There has to be a better way to discourage shooting than making the player's accuracy awful between shots or until they've held the position long enough. That's not fun. Crouching EVERYWHERE isn't fun either. Why do only third person games get stuck with the boring crouch/slow makes quiet mechanic? First person games let you move at a normal pace and stay undiscovered unless seen. It always betrays the hero's cool exterior. The mission variety is basically everything you've seen in open worlds of the last ten years. Just because it doesn't have towers to climb doesn't mean it's not really generic. Protagonist is trash, would look much better without tattoos. Don't care about the story.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I don't like this game. There has to be a better way to discourage shooting than making the player's accuracy awful between shots or until they've held the position long enough. That's not fun. Crouching EVERYWHERE isn't fun either. Why do only third person games get stuck with the boring crouch/slow makes quiet mechanic? First person games let you move at a normal pace and stay undiscovered unless seen. The mission variety is basically everything you've seen in open worlds of the last ten years. Just because it doesn't have towers to climb doesn't mean it's not really generic. Protagonist is trash, would look much better without tattoos. Don't care about the story.
I agree with you on everything except the awkward combat. First, high recoil gives you something to work towards: levelling up and getting the reduce recoil perk. Same with the rest of the combat mechanics. Second, it's just plain okay for a game to make combat physically challenging. It's not written in stone that shooting always has to be as easy as clicking a mouse. Particularly in a game like this where combat is optional so much of the time.

Agree with you in general though, the game is formulaic dishwater in almost every way.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished the main story at 98.4 hours. I'd have been relieved to get to the end credits except the finale was so dull and unfulfilling. I feel like I just ate potato chips for 98 meals in a row. Like some kind of potato chips that people on the internet said "Keep eating them, after your 30th or 40th bag you'll see why I love them so much." They're just potato chips dude.

Steam review with several updates along the way here. If you can't get enough of me trashing this game there are several bonus disappointments explored in the comments section below the review.

Elttharion

Learned
Finished the main story at 98.4 hours. I'd have been relieved to get to the end credits except the finale was so dull and unfulfilling. I feel like I just ate potato chips for 98 meals in a row. Like some kind of potato chips that people on the internet said "Keep eating them, after your 30th or 40th bag you'll see why I love them so much." They're just potato chips dude.

Steam review with several updates along the way here. If you can't get enough of me trashing this game there are several bonus disappointments explored in the comments section below the review.
Did you get the secret ending of the game when you
discover the scientists are zombies too?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Like BruceVC said, this is one of those 70/100 games that if you like mowing down zombies, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of.

Personally, I found the story and gameplay pretty bland. But, it does have large zombie hordes in an open world game, so that's something interesting.

I don't know if it's worth those atrocious Assassin's Creed type missions where you sneak around to eavesdrop on people. I'd say that mechanic is a fucking plague, but not too many games adopted it, so I have no idea why these devs did.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know if it's worth those atrocious Assassin's Creed type missions where you sneak around to eavesdrop on people. I'd say that mechanic is a fucking plague, but not too many games adopted it, so I have no idea why these devs did.
Fortunately there are only a handful and they make up a fraction of the game, but yeah they suck. I think one of the lead devs came out later apologizing for them.

I 100%ed the game on hard at like 65 hours, 100 sounds crazy. I don't think it's THAT vast.

Zombra

Patron
No, do you have to 100% it or something? Not really interested in fighting 50 more hordes, it's boring. Plus I read the spoiler just now so it wouldn't be a surprise any more anyway :)

I 100%ed the game on hard at like 65 hours, 100 sounds crazy. I don't think it's THAT vast.
Survival I difficulty, no fast travel.

Elttharion

Learned
No, do you have to 100% it or something? Not really interested in fighting 50 more hordes, it's boring. Plus I read the spoiler just now so it wouldn't be a surprise any more anyway :)
No, you only need to do the Nero missions and roam around a bit. The scientist dude will call you asking you to meet him. I guess it was supossed to be a sequel hook but now that Sony shelved the franchise it doesnt really matter.

Zombra

Patron
No, you only need to do the Nero missions and roam around a bit. The scientist dude will call you asking you to meet him. I guess it was supossed to be a sequel hook but now that Sony shelved the franchise it doesnt really matter.
Huh. I did every available non-horde mission up to the end credits, and drove around for hours in between them all, and never got that reveal. Unless he mentioned it so quietly I didn't notice :)

Elttharion

Learned
Huh. I did every available non-horde mission up to the end credits, and drove around for hours in between them all, and never got that reveal. Unless he mentioned it so quietly I didn't notice :)
Its this cutscene

You can ignore the 100% in the title, I didnt kill all hordes and still got this ending

BruceVC

Magister
Yes you do side quests around NERO once the main quest is over , its not necessary but I think it was the foundation for the sequel

I am sorry you ended up having a bad experience but for me this type of game is similar to Ubisoft games. Its console designed so it has many repetitive mechanics that are fun but you mustn't overdo them. The moment you start getting bored you move quickly to end the main quest

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Finished it on Hard II or whatever it was called. Game was rather easy apart from some early run-ins with hordes guarding NERO loot while armed with just a pistol and before you get some useful perks (or more focus). Cash and supplies was never a problem, I think I went low on it only once after buying a bunch of bike upgrades at Cope's camp after hitting trust level 2 or something.

I'm not sure if I liked this or Mad Max more as far as generic open world game design goes. At least the combat was better than Mad Max's batman awesome button system (which got really boring really fast) and the stealth was ok even if it was yet another instance of "cloaking field tall grass and crouching makes you less loud" stealth, so clearing camps wasn't really boring unlike strongholds in Mad Max. But Mad Max had better vehicular gameplay (although not as much of it as it fucking should have had). Also it took longer than in Mad Max to max out all the upgrades IIRC, but similar to Mad Max it's almost impossible not to get all the good perks by the half way-ish point of the game.

I liked riding 'muh bike across the pretty Oregon wilderness, it has some of that same appeal horse riding RDR's wilderness had (especially in RDR2), but I started abusing fast travel sometime after I got to Lost Lake. Fuel scavenging was nice while it mattered, by which I mean by the point I realized that NERO checkpoints respawn fuel cans and had the region maps surveyed and some other locations for fuel memorized.

Horde killing was fun, but it's a shame that apart from (very late) story missions and 2 or 3 NERO loot points it lacks a reason to bother with it, apart from maybe trust grinding. That and it pissed me off to no end that you can't see shit from outside the cave and can't determine how close you are to the freaks inside the cave while crouching until they start charging at you (although maybe that one perk helps with this, but shootan perks are too good to skip for it).

Had a few fun "emergent" random things happen like a breaker smacking parts of a horde, a reacher chasing a deer like Wile E Coyote, various cougar mauling freaks or cougars running away from them encounters, a horde clearing a raider camp for me because their gunfire lured it to them.

I think this game was too long for its own good, as for me it became kind of monotonous after a point with nothing over the horizon (gameplay mechanics-wise) to look forwards to (RDR2 had the same damn problem, but that one was just a fucking chore to finish due to the fucking stockholm syndrome story making you stick with the retarded gang and no challenge after the first 1/3 of the game), and I didn't like the tunnels/narrow passes connecting the 3 first regions as it made the map feel cramped. Also it really could have used or done something original, it feels like there is nothing in this game that you already have not seen before, with maybe the exception of hordes.

The protagonist's VA felt too angsty or whatever you can call his attitude problem that made his talking a bit annoying. Although I guess the PTSD implications kind of explain it. I liked the biker theme, there should be more sandboxy games going for that stereotypical depiction of an outlaw MC, getting into races, beating people up with motorcycle chains or brass knuckles, customizing your bike, riding the long roads etc.

Last edited:
Days Gone is the best game Sony has produced in years. I don't like open world games very much, but I had a blast playing this. Hunting down zombie hordes is particularly fun - my only complaint is that the impact of taking down hordes has little to no effect in most cases.

The back story is serviceable, but this game is more about the characters, which are mostly well designed. Not to mention that the real plot is actually the love story... which severely triggers leftoids, because you know why.

9.5/10

0OAj7GC.jpg

This thread shows why the average codexer is an irredeemable moron. Amazing game, yet a lot of retards trying to be edgy, ooohh the combat sucks (use Focus with the right weapons moron, then it's an extremely satisfying near endless bullet-time, with enough upgrades), oooh the story is bland (it's one of the best stories in the history of video games moron).

polo

Magister
Cerainly innovative, i mean those zombie things i never heard of those before!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom