Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Bought it, playing it now. Really trying to like it, trying to meet it half way. So far, so good. But I'm only 3 hours in.

Anyway, looked it up on Steamcharts, thought it was funny how this game has more concurrent players than Marvel's Avengers! Good. I'm glad. Whether DT turns out to be a turd or not.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Tried the "demo", decided to buy it after ~20 hours (had to restart from scratch but it doesn't take long to catch up when you already know the map). Quite unique game, both in worldbuilding and gameplay.

Just took a quick glance at the last 2 pages to avoid spoilers but regarding the online mode: you can toggle it from settings menu, signs can be completely turned off and you can dismantle any multiplayer building that's an eyesore or w/e . I quite enjoyed the solo experience but roads are too much of a chore and the pseudo co-op is p. cool. My only recommendation would be to play on very hard, especially in online mode.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Just took a quick glance at the last 2 pages to avoid spoilers

the ending:

3Igg.gif

tumblr_n9wzudEVuq1tgrweno1_1280.gif

0a512be13bcdf6178e72b67e2e8225d1.gif

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
People playing the pirated version, and I can't help feeling they're really missing out. Likes etc. might seem trite, but given the whole theme is making connections, not having the asynchronous multiplayer stuff just feels ... kinda pointless?

(edit: Tbc, I don't really mean the people "demoing" it.)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
People playing the pirated version, and I can't help feeling they're really missing out. Likes etc. might seem trite, but given the whole theme is making connections, not having the asynchronous multiplayer stuff just feels ... kinda pointless?

what if I don't like other people

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

what if I don't like other people

Well, neither does Sam, right?

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Well, after completing it I'm kinda glad I didn't pay for it.

Graphic and sound are cool, AmericaIceland looks really cool albeit boring.
Story wise it's the usual japanese nonsensical drivel a la evangelion. Completely forgettable and uninspiring, though still better than what we usaully get nowadays.
Gameplaly wise the indirect interaction with other player is cool, but that's it. The rest is one fetch quest after the other, almost without any kind of variation whatsoever. I alnmost had more fun in Flight Simulator.

6/10

lightbane

Arcane

What if I don't want to pay 60 € with DRM malware to boot?

Speaking of: Has someone tried demoing this game in W7?

Egosphere

Arcane
My reading of the game is that it's an allegory for bringing up children. The constant trekking is akin to the thankless task of raising a newborn, even complemented with the crying of a baby whenever you mess up. An inordinate amount of imagery is devoted to children, birth, and family matters (even if they are not overtly made clear until the very end). The game brings up the issue of low birth rates in a hyper individualistic world several times, although it hides it behind smoke and mirrors of a post apocalyptic america where people are truly divided between subterranean cities that have no connection to each other. Even the extinction event is intimately connected to the umbilical cord - ie. childbirth.

Finished it today and not sure what to think of it. Huge amount of cringe in this game, but some positives too. The art direction is stellar. Shinkawa, take a bow. The music is very fitting, and usually kicks in at just the right moment. The gameplay is quite boring, and it doesn't have nearly as many mechanics as a game revolving around traversing dangerous environments should have. The writing varies from passable to downright awful: the actors do their best to keep the procession in order, but they're not helped by that script. Kojima's 'directing' is hit and miss as well. If something remotely cool happens, you can be sure it will be rehashed several times over before the game ends. The story pacing is pretty wild. The last 10% of the game contain roughly 50-60% of the story, with even the first round of credits being turned into one giant loredump.

But all in all, I'm gonna say this was my favourite Kojima game since 2004.

I still hope he doesn't get his hands on Silent Hill, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom