Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Kickstarter is Live

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes, I question your "codex credibility" if you think a TB blobber like this is a weak concept:

I question your ability to think critically when three screenshots forms the basis for your judgment of the solidness of a concept.

If this turns out great - hey: nice surprise. But I do not support projects based on empty promises. Especially not when valid criticism is greeted with arrogance.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I question your ability to think critically when three screenshots forms the basis for your judgment of the solidness of a concept.

If this turns out great - hey: nice surprise. But I do not support projects based on empty promises. Especially not when valid criticism is greeted with arrogance.

You don't need to talk about arrogance, Mister "Be ashamed of yourself for backing this blobber".

To spell it out for you, the screenshots show different aspects of the game: party-based RPG with Grimrock-style graphics, NPC interaction and skill checks. How is this a weak concept?

At least, Infinitron says that he wants this game to succeed. You, Sir, are behaving like a total dumbfuck.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You don't need to talk about arrogance, Mister "Be ashamed of yourself for backing this blobber".

I have no cause not to be arrogant. I'm just a random prick arguing on the Codex. I'm not asking people for nearly half a million dollars.

party-based RPG with Grimrock-style graphics, NPC interaction and skill checks.
Games do not magically become good because of these qualities. This is a blatant lack of critical thinking. "OH, It's party-based and has skill checks? IT MUST BE GOOD THEN HUH, JUST LIKE RUINS OF MYTH DRANNOR"

At least, Infinitron says that he wants this game to succeed. You, Sir, are behaving like a total dumbfuck.

Fuck you. If it turns out good, I'll be happy. I'll play the fuck out of it. When the fuck did I say I want this to fail? Your incessant need to draw my conclusions for me is the grade a proof of your idiocy.

You are not listening. You are not reading my posts. You are jumping to conclusions because you want to believe I say things that I do not.

Wizfall

Cipher
This has "Shadowrun Returns" written all over it.
Great then, for 15 potatoes SR was the most enjoyable game in a long time for me despite numerous flaws.
Was also the verdict of the Codex review if i remember well :smug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So this thread is an example of Grunker wanting a game to succeed. Got it.

I'll quote:
This, however, is shit, and you should be ashamed for pledging to it.

Are you illiterate? Seriously?

- Do I consider this pitch horrid, the concept bad and the man behind it arrogant? Yes.

- As such, would I pledge to it or encourage people to do it? No.

- Would I rather the game succeed as a great RPG or not? Definetely that it succeeds.

- Are these concepts mutually exclusive? Fucking no, you self-mastubatory, read-only-what-you-want-to fanboy.

The fact that you cannot fathom that someone can be critical of a game yet still hope it is good is astonishing. The level of comprehension here is so horrific that I can only assume you just glance over my posts and imagine what they say.

I guess I should have given up on you when this apt comparison:

I presume you backed Shaker as well?

Go fuck yourself.

Caused the butthurt to overload.

FeelTheRads said:
Fuck you, RoMD is... is... good for what it is.

I believe this opinion to be firmly in the minority ;)

CWagner

Augur
Everyone will be able to access that "class" (it is a monster really) throughout the game, though not as continually as the high backers.

"Note that the Nethermancer class is in the game one way or another, so it is not a case that we design and balance a completely new class just for the high tier backers. Instead, the approach is, and always has been, to use the Nethermancer monster class from the game and give the player access to its abilities. Just for the fun of it…"

So RPGCodex now likes Super-Elite-Special-Edition with extra crap if you buy it at Retardmarket AAA like stuff now?
I love KS not only for finally getting some great games, but to get away from that bullshit as well.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The fact that you cannot fathom that someone can be critical of a game yet still hope it is good is astonishing.

Yeah, right, you sounded super-hopeful it is good and will succeed. Besides, you still have not answered what's so bad about the concept of a game that is a party-based RPG with Grimrock-style graphics, NPC interaction and skill checks. You keep repeating the concept is bad, but nothing concrete - other than that you think Guido is as much an arrogant prick as you are.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I don't know what's there to rage about the half million funding. The amount of funding required is much less than the Obsidian suckers wanted, which had nothing to show at all except their selfsatisfied arrogance, which was topped by the fact, that they made a stretch goal "one of us must play a classic rpg", degrading it all to ridiculous show. I don't see any of this disgusting behavior in Guido's campaign therefore he deserves well the support.

Gord

Arcane
MichaelJacksonEatingPopcorn.gif

In principle I agree with the green lady, though...

V_K

Arcane
I don't know what's there to rage about the half million funding. The amount of funding required is much less than the Obsidian suckers wanted, which had nothing to show at all except their selfsatisfied arrogance, which was topped by the fact, that they made a stretch goal "one of us must play a classic rpg", degrading it all to ridiculous show. I don't see any of this disgusting behavior in Guido's campaign therefore he deserves well the support.
Yep. This time he's asking for reasonable money, has lots of staff to show and is doing a proper media outreach. I kinda fail to see what are those "lessons he failed to learn". The only problem I see is that lower tiers are rather highly priced (some of us are on a budget, y'know).
(And to be honest I trust him a lot more to do a decent dungeon crawler than an open-world game)

Last edited:
It doesn't matter because I'm highly doubtful this will succeed in achieving KS goal of 390 000 $. While the game concept may be solid, he should have at least done some research on KS and selling his pitch. This seems that it will be a bit less of a failure than Thorvalla. He repeats a lot of the same mistakes and that's sad. I'm sure if someone else was pitching this for him, it would be a much bigger success as indeed it does look good (the game). He even chose a silly name for it. :lol:

Not that I particularly like the circus KS has "evolved" (or devolved?) into. It's just that if you're passionate about your game, and want to sell it to potential backers on KS, I guess you could at least see what's "trendy" in the KS world and what people "buy" and which projects succeed. This doesn't look like it. And it has a pretty lofty goal. So if you want almost half a million bucks for a blobber I guess you should pull some tricks to get them.

And yes, I want it to succeed. The more KS crpgs pitches succeed, the more chance we have of at least one of them being a gem.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, if this one fails, I'm sure Guido's third KS attempt, a sci-fi isometric rtwp rpg with a parser, will be the definite success.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I won't be backing this because I am done Kickstarting for the time being, at least until the projects I supported previously turn out to be worth the investment.*

I would love this to succeed, though. More attempts at RPGs we have, more of a chance some of them will actually turn out good.

*Also I'm broke atm.

He repeats a lot of the same mistakes and that's sad.

Like what? Not being in your personal "Would fellate" list?

For one I'm a male, and I don't fellate. And I would very much like to play a good game like he is trying to make (especially with the expanded goals in mind if he could pull if off well).

The numbers speak for themselves. Why do even more unknown games succeed while Deathfire doesn't? And don't tell me there isn't an audience for blobbers (although this won't be a pure blobber), as Grimrock sold well.

For other things for example much argued and moaned about KS backer exclusivity (and at what level, 500$ :o). Not boasting his past accomplishments as that obviously attracts backers, he could at least played the "I'm the nameless one" card if RoA isn't that known etc. And 390 000$ is a lofty goal considering he asked for 1 million and utterly failed. He could have been more modest, or done and finished the game some other way, like others do. It seems he's scrapping for money like this. What will happen if this fails? Months of work on the game will go down the toilet? Why didn't he ask for advice form KS marketing "experts". A lot of far less known people succeed while he fails, I wonder why if his pitch is rock solid...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, how many unknown developers got 1 million or even 390k?

However, he definitely has a weird aversion towards talking about his past accomplishments in Kickstarters, but not that much in interviews.
Even in this pitch video he goes and says something "but I'm not here to talk about the past". For some reason he seems to think that helps more, but as other Kickstarters have shown that's not the case.

Well, how many unknown developers got 1 million or even 390k?

However, he definitely has a weird aversion towards talking about his past accomplishments in Kickstarters, but not that much in interviews.
Even in this pitch video he goes and says something "but I'm not here to talk about the past". For some reason he seems to think that helps more, but as other Kickstarters have shown that's not the case.

Well then he should have set a more "realistic" goal like 100K or something, if he needs the funds badly. All I'm saying what will he do if this fails meeting its goal (and it probably will). As much as I dislike it he should have made a "circus" with guest appearances and him being a nameless one etc. as that obviously brings backers, and not he stuff he's trying to do, like thinking not mentioning past accomplishments, thinking that's what attracts backers and on the other hand thinking that backer only exclusivity attracts backers too?! :lol:

Didn't he do good research after the Thorvalla failure, or is he just clueless like that? :|

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't get all the comlaining.
Most of the game's features sound good to great.
I pledged, though I doubt the campaign will succeed. Guido's not Obsidian, so no rabid fan-base that works as multipliers while ignoring everything that might be wrong with the project.

Next time, Guido, I suggest you let Josh Sawyer or MCA play the front man for you. Seems you pull no weight with the "hardcore" RPG crowd.

Codex posters have negativity quotas to fill. Sort of like how professional critics select certain non-AAA games as sacrifices to perpetuate the myth of their impartiality.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't like some of the pitch, either but I pledged. I don't doubt Guido's game-making abilities but he doesn't understand Kickstarter marketing. He wants the campaign to succeed on it's own merits, but we all know KS is just a nostalgia trip. In a way, he reminds me of Vault Dweller (except Guido doesn't seem to realize KS is not for people like him).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom