Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Perkel

Arcane
nvSMR50.jpg

Only 1950 to go.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If all of Act 3 was as visually strong as the Durance of Hate, it'd be an easy contender for top act.

The jungle is, effectively, a much better dungeon than the open plains of A1 and deserts of A2. But yeah, the visuals are just grating.
I always hated the act3 jungle. I remember spending what felt like hours to unlock a single new waypoint. Just endless tracts of samey looking jungle.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
And this explains why they only had the first two acts during the beta.
To show only the good parts of the game.
The first two acts require some thinking at least, later parts is all about ignoring everything and running forward.
It's like the first two acts were made by a different team or they were out of time and pushed whatever content in.
I spent the last act running forward and teleporting to base only for bolts. Didn't bother with quests.

hello friend

Arcane
bro you spend the first two acts running around most shit as well

Act 1 areas mostly look the same in much the same way as Act 3 areas do, but it's even easier to run around shit. It's the fact that running around shit is harder to do in Act 3 (and so many dead ends) that causes ppl to dislike it. That and the colour green. They want the zoom zoom

damager

Arbiter
Yeah act 3 is more complex questlike. They only redid the visuals anyway, didn't they?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/125537-diablo-ii-resurrected-reviews-and-impressions.html

Game Informer 8.75/10:

Diablo II: Resurrected shows why the original title remains the standard against which all other ARPGs are judged. While it doesn’t come with many hooks and ever-evolving content that has become a baseline for the genre as it transformed into a game-as-service model, not all games need to be played with forever in mind. Diablo II: Resurrected proves that Blizzard’s classic is still a blast, even today. Whether it’s your first foray into hell and beyond or your thousandth hour, Diablo II: Resurrected is worth the time.

Destructoid 8.5/10:

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

NME 4/5:

A stunning recreation of Diablo 2, this will be essential for gamers of a certain age, while the uninitiated will probably get more of a kick out of it as a game design time capsule than a serious contender in the sea of live games vying for their attention. If nothing else, Diablo 2 Resurrected is the definitive version of a classic.

God is a Geek 8/10:

If you’ve never played the original, then Diablo 2: Resurrected is a great entry point. Some consider the second game to be better than the third (I’m personally a huge Reaper of Souls fan, though) and it’s easy to see why. It’s a more uncluttered and straightforward proposition, with a superb suite of classes and a great variety of biomes in which to tackle its procedurally-generated maps. It’s hard to hide its age even under the layer of polish, but Diablo 2: Resurrected is still a damn fine game.

PCGamesN In Progress:

So far Diablo 2: Resurrected seems like a fantastic way to play a classic action-RPG, with splendid updated graphics and quality-of-life features, though it’s far from perfect. The new accessibility options are welcome and improve the experience for everyone, but there’s not much here that goes beyond the industry baseline. Gaps also exist in its list of features, and some of these gaps are worryingly similar to those that plagued Warcraft III: Reforged. Nevertheless, as the servers go live I’ll be enjoying my return to Tristram, hopeful that there won’t be anything else that taints the experience.

IGN In Progress:

But none of those devils in the details has overcome the fact that I'm definitely having fun. Diablo 2's design has aged remarkably well as an example of a relatively uncomplicated isometric action RPG. Everyone has skills, yes, but they all interact with the same systems: Health, Mana, Stats. There's no unique currency or meter to learn for every class, just a skill tree, a billion demons, and an infinite fountain of equipment. It is, as ever, a satisfying game.

PC Gamer Impressions:

Replaying Diablo 2 now makes it so clear how many of Diablo 3's streamlined additions—some of which I absolutely didn't approve of in 2012—were direct responses to places where its predecessor felt stiff or obtuse. A lot of what I once considered 'hardcore', it turns out, is really just old, and existed because we didn't know any better. Yes, videogame characters can run forever without getting out of breath, and now we know. This doesn't detract from the impact Diablo 2 had at the time, or how important it is in the history of ARPGs, but it is a reminder that time comes for every game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Even something as simple as moving my creepy old necromancer is deeply unpleasant, with a stamina bar that drains when you run and grid-based movement that makes turning around look and feel clunky. None of these things stuck in my memory, and none of them were an issue back in 2000, but it's jarring to go from a smooth ARPG like Diablo 3 to this. Just writing about the stamina bar is making me annoyed all over again. It's awful! This isn't Dark Souls, where it's inextricably linked to combat, determining the flow of fights, and giving you those exciting moments where you risk everything on one last attack, knowing it could be your last. It just means you're shit at running. God I hate it.

uhhh excuse me waiter, my rpg has rpg elements in it, please fix this

copebot

Learned
There are also some semi hidden mechanics in running/walking in D2 in that running nerfs your block rate into the ground. You only get your full defense walking or stationary. The game also gives you stamina potions that can be chain chugged and cost nothing. All classes also pump vitality which boosts stamina, as does character level.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah stamina and whole running vs walking thing was directly designed so that players couldn't just walk past everything. Players can still do it but they are panelized for doing so.

D2 is pretty much only ARPG that forces you to not zoom zoom for most of game until you hit end game.

Thal

Prophet
Why did I buy this game, I don't know. Why do things happen as they do? All I know is that when D2:R was released, I had to buy it. And from that moment I rushed to Baal, always to the Baal.

Reasons to play it
  • There's a shared stash function for your characters so mules are no longer needed. Now when you get a low level unique or set item drop, you can stash it with no hassle for your future characters, meaning that there's no point for collecting non-essential gear. For me, this will make normal and nm difficulty much more enjoyable for new characters. I don't think I'll be rushing any characters.
  • You pick up gold just by walking over it.
  • Natural widescreen support for high resolutions. Apparently this was supposed to be difficult to code, but they've done it.
  • New graphics look wonderful, really atmospheric.
Reasons not to play
  • It's a buggy piece of shit, crashes abound. The worst offender is the automap bug that sometimes shows the map from a preceding game with the new automap being written on top of it.
It's still D2.

Last edited:

fork

[...] Just looks like a flat plane with all enemies just wandering around, you run up to them and bonk them on the head, grab the loot, rinse and repeat..

Sounds a bit like Darkwood, doesn't it? Yeah, you can craft guns, doesn't make much of a differnce though.
And Darkwood forces you to hide and barricade in your hideout every couple of minutes on top of that.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Started playing saturday and hour ago killed Baal. Died only once during the five acts - upon first meeting Diablo I got caught by surprise inside his laser beam.

Quite a marathon. Still a great game.

Btw I played The Ascent before D2, and eventhough it is different (not loot driven, not intended for endless play), it is also great and in some aspects better than D2.

fork

[...] Just looks like a flat plane with all enemies just wandering around, you run up to them and bonk them on the head, grab the loot, rinse and repeat..

Sounds a bit like Darkwood, doesn't it? Yeah, you can craft guns, doesn't make much of a differnce though.
And Darkwood forces you to hide and barricade in your hideout every couple of minutes on top of that.

Ash, Sykar: I must have missed all those elevation changes and otherwise intricate level design then.
Dishonest plebs.

Sykar

Arcane

Ash, Sykar: I must have missed all those elevation changes and otherwise intricate level design then.
Dishonest plebs.

dumbfuck.gif

fork

Yeah, awarded by some butthurt mod here, lol. If anything, it's a badge of honour.
And if anyone here's a dumbfuck it's the two of you, denying facts, faggot.

Ash

Arcane

Dishonest plebs.

Darkwood level design has:

A wide variety of traps, elaborate interactivity with the environment, scripted enemy encounters as well as dynamic spawns, the occasional puzzle, vaultable objects (e.g fences), terrain differences (swamps slows you down, trials drain stamina slower, forested areas obscure vision), light plays a major role in level design and can be manipulated in a variety of ways, a variety of hidden content/secrets, tons of optional locations, multiple paths/points of entry to locations...but yes, it does not have elevation differences. One thing missing as opposed to Diablo's obvious non-existent level design. Stop being a faggot. Play Darkwood if you're someone with taste.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So yeah, I got kind of careless and trolly, and ended up killing my lvl 75 bone necro.

Rest in pieces my friend.

Do I start a new hardcore blizzard sorc, or do I put the game down until ladder launches?

Such is the peril of the times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom